Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15543695 times)

Jambalaya and 43 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #49075 on: February 07, 2020, 06:23:54 am »
I thought "reforming" was a myth

It mostly is, unless you are fixing ancient radios.  For test equipment that is only 50-60 years old, capacitor "deforming" manifests as increased leakage current, but not enough to cause harm.  Turning on the equipment for a while will reform the capacitors without any special effort.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #49076 on: February 07, 2020, 06:25:11 am »
   Because sometimes you need a few  :-DD   Local trash and treasure market...

There is a world of hurt right there on that countertop...   >:D

mnem

There was another stall with a few more of them. Clearly they have served their original purpose  :-DD

I still have an Xbox 360 and 30-40 games last used 7 or 8 years ago .... There is also a PS2 in the same box with another bunch of games. Something that is unlikely to ever become retro cool and gain value  ::)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #49077 on: February 07, 2020, 06:33:57 am »
Maybe... but I still enjoy a wasting a few hours in Halo and Portal 2; I have no problem withering braincells every bit as well with the 360 as my son does on his Switch. :-DD

Besides... I've never played TR:Undergound; actually kindof looking forward to giving Lara's USP's a twirl again.  >:D Plus, found Super Street Fighter in the drive; now wish I still had my modded DreamCast arcade joystick...  >:D

mnem
"Please baby, let the boi play too... I promise I won't splatter too many brains on the walls... :o
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 06:53:25 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49078 on: February 07, 2020, 09:03:22 am »

Yes I'm in his Patreon, if you could point me towards the video where he talks about or uses these stand-off's I could then raise the question directly with him?

22:26

Thank you, that would be awesome!!
Question has been asked, I let you know when I get a reply.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #49079 on: February 07, 2020, 09:11:43 am »
In case anyone needs more DMM digits, here's a decent deal on a well-optioned Fluke 8505A ($106ppd) : eBay auction: #184013841856

No relation to the seller, just hoping someone will remove the temptation.

At that price it IS very tempting but where the fawk would I put it?  :-// :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #49080 on: February 07, 2020, 09:14:22 am »
In case anyone is interested......I'll log into Discord Saturday at 2100 UTC (I guess that's early Sunday AM for OZ/NZ).

Please join if you can for I fear the dragon may stalk me.   :o :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49081 on: February 07, 2020, 09:14:54 am »
@med, spoiler alert, it has more digits that the 5.5 you said was your safe limit...that rabbit hole beckons you further in until there is no escaping it unless you're very strong  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, beanflying

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #49082 on: February 07, 2020, 09:16:04 am »
@med, spoiler alert, it has more digits that the 5.5 you said was your safe limit...that rabbit hole beckons you further in until there is no escaping it unless you're very strong  :-DD

I know. Must resist.  |O  ;D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49083 on: February 07, 2020, 09:16:56 am »
In case anyone is interested......I'll log into Discord Saturday at 2100 UTC (I guess that's early Sunday AM for OZ/NZ).

You might just be lucky, he could still be chasing first girlfriend around on his X-box  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #49084 on: February 07, 2020, 09:18:14 am »

You might just be lucky, he could still be chasing first girlfriend around on his X-box  :-DD :-DD

One can only hope.  >:D :-DD

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49085 on: February 07, 2020, 09:21:38 am »

I will try and drag myself to the coffee machine this week and threaten the possums in advance tonight to take a hike so I can sleep first  ;) 8AM for most of the East Coast of Oz apart from Queensland where their Cows won't lay eggs and the Chickens fade the Curtains due to Daylight Savings being banned from the Grave by decree of Joe twenty years after his demise :-DD

tRump and Boris are amateurs this Turkey held power for decades without ever getting a majority https://www.spectator.com.au/2017/01/sunshine-state/

« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 09:23:40 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49086 on: February 07, 2020, 09:30:07 am »

Ifni Save Me...

How many times I've told myself I wanted to get away from this archaic platform... and today I bought this because A) It was $US34 and 2) It came with my first girlfriend*. :palm:

The Ferengi in me says I should immediately part it out and put the money towards saving up for a PS5. The rest of me says "Fuck that noize... go fondle Lady Croft just one more time; for old times' sake..."

Of course you know it's already connected to the network, downloading updates. |O

mnem
*EVERY true nerd's first "going steady".  >:D

I have a 360 in the cupboard of doom somewhere. I need to sell the damn thing. But that means fixing the power button and testing it and I really can't be fucked with it.

I will try and drag myself to the coffee machine this week and threaten the possums in advance tonight to take a hike so I can sleep first  ;) 8AM for most of the East Coast of Oz apart from Queensland where their Cows won't lay eggs and the Chickens fade the Curtains due to Daylight Savings being banned from the Grave by decree of Joe twenty years after his demise :-DD

https://www.spectator.com.au/2017/01/sunshine-state/

I'm actually becoming quite an expert on Australian time zones. Currently trying to help a company push their platform out that way. And yes it has a scheduling function. Guess who spent a week analysing and ripping holes in analysts' use cases where Sheila is in Eucla and Bob is in Melbourne and they are both meeting in a different zone. Ugh. Feel sorry for you guys. Apparently after speaking to some actual Australians everyone is just always late  :-DD

Hamfest season starts properly here on Sunday at last. Woohoo  ;D

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49087 on: February 07, 2020, 09:38:41 am »
Apart from the seasonal Queensland 'issue' most of our time zones don't create to many headaches for close neighbors. Far Northern NSW and SE Queensland have maybe 500,000 Humans jumping zones while it goes on as they share Tourists, Businesses and life in general daily.

The 30 minutes to SA and home of VK5RC and others happens along a stretch just to my West that is very sparsely populated or populated on only one side or the other. The time gap to the Northern Territory or Western Oz has 500-1000km between population centres so not really an issue any more than jumping a few countries over in Europe would cause.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49088 on: February 07, 2020, 09:39:32 am »
Yeah it's mostly us folk on the other side of the planet who it causes trouble for  :-DD

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #49089 on: February 07, 2020, 10:30:19 am »

I'll join as well. :)

Another thing:
I received the other day 3x 14 capacitors, silver micas, from a russian production.

Values:
4300pF | +/- 0.3% | 350V
5900pF | +/- 0.3% | 350V
8000pF | +/- 0.5% | 350V

If someone in Europe is interested, I would send you 3x 2 pieces per person for free.
I don't need that much of them. It may be, that I have misread the offer in ebay somehow.  ::)  :palm:  :-DD

Drop me a PM if you are interested.

Cheers
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: grizewald

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #49090 on: February 07, 2020, 10:41:37 am »
Yeah it's mostly us folk on the other side of the planet who it causes trouble for  :-DD

Im confused.

Is it "us folk" in the sense of "we here in Europe", or is it more like "US folk", the guys from the other side of the Atlantic?  :-//  ???
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #49091 on: February 07, 2020, 11:10:08 am »
And I have another question:

What is this "Hidden user" anyway?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #49092 on: February 07, 2020, 11:27:43 am »

It's mnem....stalking me.  :-DD :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, AVGresponding

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49093 on: February 07, 2020, 11:30:05 am »

I can't speak for the EEVBlog, but on another blog that I moderate, hidden users are usually GoogleBots / Crawlers and the like.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #49094 on: February 07, 2020, 11:45:03 am »

It's mnem....stalking me.  :-DD :-DD

Yeah, you'd better watch out!

« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 11:47:32 am by BU508A »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #49095 on: February 07, 2020, 12:19:19 pm »
Hamfest season starts properly here on Sunday at last. Woohoo  ;D

So, what little bits and bobs are you after? Maybe a few working Tek scopes? Or perhaps weird HP voltmeters? :)

Looks like the weather will be seriously foul, rain and gusting to 50mph.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 12:21:05 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49096 on: February 07, 2020, 12:27:19 pm »
I'm after stuff I can ponce off on ebay that doesn't cost a lot in postage mostly this time. Anything that makes me go "ooh" and "ahh" may come along for the ride.

Shitty weather is going to marvellous. I'm getting kitted out and going to hit the Chiltern hills (Ivinghoe Beacon) after lunch before it gets dark. 10 miles of being pissed on is my idea of a good afternoon :)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #49097 on: February 07, 2020, 12:38:45 pm »
I just checked hamfest calendar for my local area. Nothing until May and even then it may not be worth it.  ::)

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49098 on: February 07, 2020, 12:49:49 pm »
Nice old 0.1% decade resistor box in the USA for not a lot ($32 USD plus post) if anyone is interested freight to me is OTT eBay auction: #323827828448

The following users thanked this post: Martin.M

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49099 on: February 07, 2020, 12:52:25 pm »
We used to call them "ash boxes" at university. The 1x and 10x ranges were always populated with ash instead of resistors  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, mnementh, AVGresponding

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf