Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15282493 times)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #49775 on: February 15, 2020, 01:47:39 pm »
Quick actual test gear picture. As the 1740A is out of action again (stopped sweeping) I figure I’d steal the knob caps off it for my 6236b which is working nicely and hurts me more to see uncapped  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #49776 on: February 15, 2020, 01:54:39 pm »
I prefer the hard copy manuals myself. I’ve had too many bad scans over the years to trust that as the only source of info. Usually you only find out it’s a bad scan right in the middle of a problem solving session.

We have mauritron here who are the equivalent and some of their scans are just the worst.

Artek scans are top notch. The issue I keep running into is the schematic not matching what I got in front of me. Tek was always updating stuff and the ONLY way you could insure you had the correct manual is to have the original that came in the box with the equipment.

Yeah, I'll give Artek their due; after scouring the usual haunts like BAMA and the Radio Museum, I gave in and bought a service manual for the 2230 from them for like $20 more than a decade ago. Schematics on that thing are huge; must've been 4x4 foldout format. Took the file to KINKO's, had 'em print them all out on 20x24 paper and every part number was crisp & clear.  :-+ In retrospect I should've gone 24x36, but the 20x24 was unwieldy as hell already...  :o

In all honesty, .pdf format was just plain better in that case; they included OCR subtext so you could actually search for a part # on the schematic rather than having to go back to the parts list for each component. ;)

mnem
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 01:57:53 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #49777 on: February 15, 2020, 02:00:13 pm »
I never knew that they also made the Black Star stuff, I've had some of their gear and I wasn't TBH particularly impressed with them, however the gear I now have, I'm very impressed with. I have a 1905a and I really like that but it doesnt get used as much as it should do and that is purely down to being spoilt with my other meters being auto-rangers.

According to this website http://www.azurelectronics.com/Black%20Star%20Stack.htm TTi bought Black Star in 1999.
As to whether they continued to make anything under that brand afterwards, idk, though the 1905a uses the Black Star standard case and buttons. All I do know is, when I needed a service manual for my 4503, TTi was where I had to go, and they were very helpful indeed.

Since you like the 1905a, I'd say if you see a 1906 for sensible money, jump at the chance; it's effectively an updated 1905a with autoranging and 4-wire measurement added. I paid something like £60 shipped, and it pretty much keeps up with my Fluke 8840.

They've sent the Army in here to help with the flooding, which may be necessary given that some of the scaffolding on the £30m flood defence project got partially washed away last week, and they haven't managed to repair it yet!
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49778 on: February 15, 2020, 02:01:22 pm »
Just to put this right.

Could be worse. I mean who in their right mind would drink this?? Oh, wait...  ::)

McBryce.

30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49779 on: February 15, 2020, 02:15:23 pm »
Quick actual test gear picture. As the 1740A is out of action again (stopped sweeping) I figure I’d steal the knob caps off it for my 6236b which is working nicely and hurts me more to see uncapped  :-DD
It shows that you have robbed something else for the knobs, they've got pointers on them where not required.

Yeah, with Harlow, its proof that even if you're considered to be at rock bottom, you can still get lower  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #49780 on: February 15, 2020, 02:26:07 pm »
Just to put this right.

Could be worse. I mean who in their right mind would drink this?? Oh, wait...  ::)

McBryce.

Smurf blue beer? Absolutely not!  :o :palm:

I hate you.  :P :P :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49781 on: February 15, 2020, 02:29:54 pm »
I never knew that they also made the Black Star stuff, I've had some of their gear and I wasn't TBH particularly impressed with them, however the gear I now have, I'm very impressed with. I have a 1905a and I really like that but it doesnt get used as much as it should do and that is purely down to being spoilt with my other meters being auto-rangers.

According to this website http://www.azurelectronics.com/Black%20Star%20Stack.htm TTi bought Black Star in 1999.
As to whether they continued to make anything under that brand afterwards, idk, though the 1905a uses the Black Star standard case and buttons. All I do know is, when I needed a service manual for my 4503, TTi was where I had to go, and they were very helpful indeed.

Since you like the 1905a, I'd say if you see a 1906 for sensible money, jump at the chance; it's effectively an updated 1905a with autoranging and 4-wire measurement added. I paid something like £60 shipped, and it pretty much keeps up with my Fluke 8840.

They've sent the Army in here to help with the flooding, which may be necessary given that some of the scaffolding on the £30m flood defence project got partially washed away last week, and they haven't managed to repair it yet!

Yeah, I'm keeping my options open on getting a 1906, it would be handy to have a continuity tester on a bench meter I must admit, but I remember seeing it demonstrated on a video somewhere and that feature sucks on it, which TBH, I'm amazed at considering how they managed to get everything else about right. TTi continued to use that style of case for some time. I have the 1905a, TGP110, TG120 and the CM200, all of which use the same style of case with the exception that the CM200 does not have middle infill panels. The 1905a is from their brown period, the CM200 and TG120 are from the grey era and TGP110 is from their current cream period as is my TF930.

Are you affected by the flooding or are not one of those directly affected?  When I was a child and indeed even in my teens I remember we used to have county wide, river authorities who always kept them dredged and the natural flood barriers in good order, and we never had flooding like we do now. Perhaps they should reinstate these authorities, they worked well.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #49782 on: February 15, 2020, 02:48:43 pm »
Yeah that CM200 has the same case as the Black Star 3210 DMM.

I am, sort of. I'll not flood myself, I'm far enough up the side of the hill.
It could block my route to work though; my boss texted me last Sunday saying he'd understand if I couldn't get in on Monday.

The biggest problem is the local shops though, they're all in the firing line.
The Co-Op in Mytholmroyd took months just to reopen at all in 2015, and a few years before they finally rebuilt it and the attached petrol station properly. They only finished that just over a year ago!
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49783 on: February 15, 2020, 03:04:38 pm »
But all the Hispanics I know drink this, despite it being made from donkey piss.  ::)

The lime or lemon helps to kill the smell.  :o

Any beer that you have to add fruit to it to make it taste better should be avoided like the plague.  I made the mistake of trying a Blue Moon.  Sadly, it did taste better with a slice of orange in it, which isn't saying much.  I will try almost anything once with the exception of Fugu and eating live baby octopus, I won't eat anything that has the potential to kill me. I was raised with: "You can't say you don't like it if you don't try it."  Thankfully, there have been very few fails with that attitude.

It ALLL tastes like pee. Every beer discussion boils down to one thing: Which particular animal you put the bucket under for the current batch. :-DD

mnem
 >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49784 on: February 15, 2020, 03:11:26 pm »
I haven't had a Fosters or Castlemaine since I was a teenager, these days if I'm drinking beer I like a Special Brew mixed with Weston's Vintage Cider (I'm an old school rocker so snakebite is the order of the day!), or sometimes a Jamaican Dragon Stout (one for mnem to try...) or Elephant Beer.

Ummm... unless there's significant THC content in that Jamaican brew, not likely. :-DD

mnem
We ALL know what animal they put THAT bucket under.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49785 on: February 15, 2020, 03:24:16 pm »

McBryce.

I consider it a privilege to be included on your hate list! :)

But, regarding coloured beers. I've been to Boston on St. Patricks day, where someone obviously thought that it would be a good idea to put green colouring in the finest beer in existance (Guinness). I mean why???

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #49786 on: February 15, 2020, 03:28:38 pm »

McBryce.

I consider it a privilege to be included on your hate list! :)

But, regarding coloured beers. I've been to Boston on St. Patricks day, where someone obviously thought that it would be a good idea to put green colouring in the finest beer in existance (Guinness). I mean why???

McBryce.

It's not just Boston. It's everywhere on St. Paddy's Day. Nothing like ruining a good Guinness.  ::)

Edit....it belongs in the harbor with the tea.  :-DD

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49787 on: February 15, 2020, 03:38:54 pm »
Ahh Swindon: at least it’s not Bracknell. Or Harlow

I can't hear 'Harlow' without thinking about "Get 'Em Out by Friday" by Genesis and its tale of the 'Winkler' muscling people out of their homes:

Quote from: Get 'Em Out by Friday
[Mr. Hall - The Winker sounding obsequious]
"Here we are in Harlow New Town, did you recognise your block
Across the square, over there
Sadly since last time we spoke, we've found we've had to raise the rent again
Just a bit."

[Mrs. Barrow]
"Oh no, this I can't believe
Oh Mary, and we agreed to leave."

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #49788 on: February 15, 2020, 03:41:34 pm »
So....are any of you Brits gonna show up today at 2100 hrs UTC or just continue to huff and puff and piss and moan?  :popcorn: :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49789 on: February 15, 2020, 03:43:52 pm »
Probably the huff and piss and moan because I've got additional teenager incursion this evening now so nowhere to hang out that's quiet :--

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #49790 on: February 15, 2020, 03:47:49 pm »
A teenage girl's sleep over? They'll be awake all night and tomorrow morning look like they're hung over.  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49791 on: February 15, 2020, 03:50:03 pm »
I woke them up early this morning and hid the coffee so they will pass out at midnight. Usually works.  :-DD

Edit: as I'm waiting for the final bits for my sampler to arrive from China, mostly connectors, I have decided on an intermediate project that will last a couple of weeks at least. I'm going to attempt to build GK's oscilloscope pong game as mentioned at [1]. In the interest of being somewhat lazy I'm skipping the transistors and will use LM358s, 555s and some 4066's series ICs which I have an absolute ton of.

[1] https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/oscilloscope-pong-for-1-or-2-players/
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 03:58:41 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49792 on: February 15, 2020, 04:03:42 pm »
So....are any of you Brits gonna show up today at 2100 hrs UTC or just continue to huff and puff and piss and moan?  :popcorn: :-DD

I'll have you know that pissing and moaning is the national sport. If we didn't piss and moan we'd have to do something like get off our collective arses, toss all the idiots in Westminster into the North Sea, and get on and actually do something. Where's the fun in that for the average man in the street? As for huffing and puffing and blueing Med's house down, we'll leave that to the dragon.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49793 on: February 15, 2020, 04:19:40 pm »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jan/03/like-a-beautiful-painting-image-of-new-years-mayhem-in-manchester-goes-viral

I dunno; I think y'all have raised getting pissed in the street to an art form. And it appears others have noticed as well.  ;)

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 04:32:56 pm by mnementh »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49794 on: February 15, 2020, 04:20:56 pm »
Just found an interesting problem with the 3466A. Digits jumping around all over the place. Cracked it open, problem gone. Hmm. Put it back together, problem appeared again!

So after thinking for a bit and isolating all the variables I worked it out. It only jumps around if I stick it straight on top of the 6236B. Great so magnetic coupling  :--

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #49795 on: February 15, 2020, 04:29:19 pm »

I dunno; I think y'all have raised getting pissed in the street to an art form. And it appears others have noticed as well.  ;)

mnem
 :popcorn:

That's just New Years or Saturday night drunkenness.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49796 on: February 15, 2020, 04:37:55 pm »
That song was literally the soundtrack of my life as a rowdy teenager growing up half in the hills of upstate NY and half in the streets of Pittsburgh. ;)

Also why I gave up beer. It gave me headaches & made me a asshole drunk; started fights, more often than not got the shit kicked outta me and/or wound up in the drunk tank looking like something out of Mad Max. :palm:

mnem
Actually, the whole damned album...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 04:41:13 pm by mnementh »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #49797 on: February 15, 2020, 04:54:12 pm »
Yes, but to do that you'd have to go to Swindon. I generally only go to Swindon if people pay me to go and only if they pay me handsomely at that. The idea of going there at my own expense and then paying more once I'm there seems alien:)

Oh Swindon has redeeming features, e.g. the magic roundabout which actually works well

and the museum of computing (naturally that is lower brow than TNMoC) :) ).

OTOH, there's Slough (which should be pronounced to rhyme with "pig trough")...

Moreover, my route would take me within smelling distance of Slough.  :(
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 05:04:48 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #49798 on: February 15, 2020, 04:59:18 pm »
Ahh Swindon: at least it’s not Bracknell. Or Harlow

Bracknell has good roads out of Bracknell. And (had?) a food market under one of the ring roads. Presumably market traders liked the added weight to the items on sale.

I worked there for 3 months, long ago. The most interesting shop in the town centre was "Holland and Barratts" health food shop! There I discovered that people would buy "green lipped mussel pills", with zero indication of what that would achieve - except the packaging did indicate how much your wallet woud be lightened.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49799 on: February 15, 2020, 05:23:01 pm »
Huh... TIL about green-lipped mussel homeopathy: https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-830/new-zealand-green-lipped-mussel

Appears to be mostly some small amount of Omega3 and a whole lot of wank. :o

mnem
But wait; it also comes in a powder! Now how much would you pay...?

« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 05:25:14 pm by mnementh »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf