Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14548887 times)

Peter_O, Ice-Tea and 29 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #49875 on: February 16, 2020, 04:45:19 pm »
Having a police/fire scanner can save you aggravation....

Was just going to head out to my fav convenience store for some sundries. Major accident at that intersection. Debris all over road. Apparently several injuries. Road now closed and traffic diverted. Sounds like a major cluster and I would have driven right into it.  :palm:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #49876 on: February 16, 2020, 04:48:02 pm »
We have this thing on our phones nowadays... it's called Google Maps. Live traffic overlay that actually draws you a picture of the mayhem.  ;)

mnem
*agitating-ily*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #49877 on: February 16, 2020, 04:51:26 pm »
Yeah, and guess how they do that? By geolocation of everyone's phone and using GPS speed estimates. Unfortunately, the privacy conscious option of scanners is quickly becoming useless as police/fire/EMS are largely moving to encrypted digital radio around cities. Rural departments will hold out a lot longer I'm sure.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49878 on: February 16, 2020, 04:53:40 pm »
Yeah it’s not like it’s us who are the traitors really is it?  :-DD

Nope. Just your brilliant leaders.  :palm:

mnem
(Attachment Link)
       "Evil knows evil."
correct, just yours, perhaps we send Johnson and Trump off to an uninhabited island and let them get on with it.

*Sigh*

If it were only that simple... we both know those bloated gasbags are only lightning-rods to distract the public eye from the real evil being done. In our case, it's treasonous Nosferaturtle Mitch McConnell and his Soulless Minions of Orthodoxy that have been systematically dismantling the Constitution for 30 years; they're the Left Hand of Darkness doing the dirty work of those who own Chump, and Cheney before him, and Bush senior before him.

At this point they've gotten so arrogant... the evildoing so blatant... that ONLY something so trollishly farcical as Chump in the White House could possibly serve as a distraction. :palm:

He's like a burning bag of dogshit somebody put on your front porch to get you out of the house so they can lock the doors behind you and bulldoze it to make a parking lot. :wtf:

I'm sure you have your own similar nest of undead bloodsuckers working Parliament and The House in the same way; it's not like this is even the first time this scenrio has played out in recent history. Events are unfolding here and on the world stage that mirror the events that led up to our Great Depression and the collapse of the American Economy in the 1920s; we all know how that affected the world economy in the 30s & 40s. When your biggest customer stops having money to buy, it's almost as disruptive as was our Industrial Revolution.  |O

mnem
I just wish I could've gotten my kids a little further away from ground zero...  :-\
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 05:03:20 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #49879 on: February 16, 2020, 04:56:07 pm »
We have this thing on our phones nowadays... it's called Google Maps. Live traffic overlay that actually draws you a picture of the mayhem.  ;)

mnem
*agitating-ily*

A few days ago, there was this article in the Heise newsticker (German IT magazine) about a guy with a "Bollerwagen" (handcart) loaded with 99 cheap mobile phones with GPS. Google maps reported then a traffic jam which was not.  :-DD

https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Virtueller-Stau-auf-Google-Maps-als-Kunstwerk-4651651.html

Edit:

English version:
http://www.simonweckert.com/googlemapshacks.html
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, syau, AVGresponding

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #49880 on: February 16, 2020, 04:56:17 pm »

it has been, what, like three hundred years?  you all are just never going to let that go, are you?   :-DD  :-DD.

They're still sore that a rag tag army of farmers and woodsman beat their arse.  :popcorn: :-DD

I'm just annoyed at the waste of tea...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #49881 on: February 16, 2020, 04:57:46 pm »

mnem
*agitating-ily*

A few days ago, there was this article in the Heise newsticker (German IT magazine) about a guy with a "Bollerwagen" (handcart) loaded with 99 cheap mobile phones with GPS. Google maps reported then a traffic jam which was not.  :-DD

https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Virtueller-Stau-auf-Google-Maps-als-Kunstwerk-4651651.html

The guy was carting them around, with them all switched on?!?   :-//
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #49882 on: February 16, 2020, 04:58:28 pm »

it has been, what, like three hundred years?  you all are just never going to let that go, are you?   :-DD  :-DD.

They're still sore that a rag tag army of farmers and woodsman beat their arse.  :popcorn: :-DD

I'm just annoyed at the waste of tea...

Do the colonies becoming cheeky again?  :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #49883 on: February 16, 2020, 04:59:49 pm »

mnem
*agitating-ily*

That's my understanding, yes.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #49884 on: February 16, 2020, 05:08:38 pm »
Yeah, and guess how they do that? By geolocation of everyone's phone and using GPS speed estimates. Unfortunately, the privacy conscious option of scanners is quickly becoming useless as police/fire/EMS are largely moving to encrypted digital radio around cities. Rural departments will hold out a lot longer I'm sure.
GPS isn't needed in general. The signal strength of nearby mobile phone and wifi networks and Bluetooth devices is plenty and even allows indoor location. It's no coincidence Google gathers network data of this nature through almost every Android phone.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49885 on: February 16, 2020, 05:10:19 pm »

mnem
*agitating-ily*

Yeah, it was a deliberate "performance art" to demonstrate just how much influence the virtual world and Google in particular have over our real lives minute-to-minute. I wonder if the local government intends to press charges of some sort.

mnem
 :clap:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49886 on: February 16, 2020, 05:11:06 pm »

Nope. Just your brilliant leaders.  :palm:

mnem
(Attachment Link)
       "Evil knows evil."
correct, just yours, perhaps we send Johnson and Trump off to an uninhabited island and let them get on with it.

*Sigh*

If it were only that simple... we both know those bloated gasbags are only lightning-rods to distract the public eye from the real evil being done. In our case, it's treasonous Nosferaturtle Mitch McConnell and his Soulless Minions of Orthodoxy that have been systematically dismantling the Constitution for 30 years; they're the Left Hand of Darkness doing the dirty work of those who own Chump, and Cheney before him, and Bush senior before him.

At this point they've gotten so arrogant... the evildoing so blatant... that ONLY something so trollishly farcical as Chump in the White House could possibly serve as a distraction. :palm:

He's like a burning bag of dogshit somebody put on your front porch to get you out of the house so they can lock the doors behind you and bulldoze it to make a parking lot. :wtf:

I'm sure you have your own similar nest of undead bloodsuckers working Parliament and The House in the same way; it's not like this is even the first time this scenrio has played out in recent history. Events are unfolding here and on the world stage that mirror the events that led up to our Great Depression and the collapse of the American Economy in the 1920s; we all know how that affected the world economy in the 30s & 40s. When your biggest customer stops having money to buy, it's almost as disruptive as was our Industrial Revolution.  |O

mnem
I just wish I could've gotten my kids a little further away from ground zero...  :-\
Once again you hit the nail on the head and if anyone thinks that there is not a Russian connection, think again. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Elliott_(political_strategist)
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49887 on: February 16, 2020, 05:20:38 pm »

mnem
*agitating-ily*

Yeah, it was a deliberate "performance art" to demonstrate just how much influence the virtual world and Google in particular have over our real lives minute-to-minute. I wonder if the local government intends to press charges of some sort.

mnem
 :clap:
The same is being done inside shops, they can map your movements throughout a store and can show what you were actually looking at as well so that they select the right type of product to bring people into their stores and also plan their stores layouts in order to position impulse buys in the areas that attract the most footfall  :scared:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49888 on: February 16, 2020, 05:24:47 pm »
(SNIP)   He's like a burning bag of dogshit somebody put on your front porch to get you out of the house so they can lock the doors behind you and bulldoze it to make a parking lot. :wtf:

mnem
Once again you hit the nail on the head and if anyone thinks that there is not a Russian connection, think again. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Elliott_(political_strategist)
Yeah, over here it was a case of the perfect storm of bullshit; those behind our corrupt electoral system were desperate for someone other than themselves to hang the last 3 decades of tampered elections on when along comes confirmed KGB asset Donald Chump trying to buy the presidency again with help from butt-buddy Putin.

They couldn't have asked for a better scapegoat.  :palm:

mnem
"What luck; fascism you can vote for."
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 06:42:16 pm by mnementh »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49889 on: February 16, 2020, 05:25:07 pm »
@specmaster: http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/25084.pdf
Thats the type but these are infact 2mm and mine are 1mm (1mm drill just fits them) but I suppose at a pinch I could get away with 2mm sockets, the problem with these ones is that the require a 2.7mm hole for them to be press fitted into, I have 4.5mm holes on my panel and the sockets have a locknut :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #49890 on: February 16, 2020, 05:26:20 pm »
The same is being done inside shops, they can map your movements throughout a store and can show what you were actually looking at as well so that they select the right type of product to bring people into their stores and also plan their stores layouts in order to position impulse buys in the areas that attract the most footfall  :scared:
That's why you don't want to have Bluetooth and wifi on all the time. Both are used for this.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49891 on: February 16, 2020, 05:29:42 pm »
Thats the type but these are infact 2mm and mine are 1mm (1mm drill just fits them) but I suppose at a pinch I could get away with 2mm sockets, the problem with these ones is that the require a 2.7mm hole for them to be press fitted into, I have 4.5mm holes on my panel and the sockets have a locknut :palm:

Ahh good luck with that one.  :-DD

That's why you don't want to have Bluetooth and wifi on all the time. Both are used for this.

Best thing is stop going in shops. At least amazon are up front about this shit.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49892 on: February 16, 2020, 05:29:57 pm »

It looks to me like the socket itself is 1mm, but the solder terminal is 1.8mm. OD of the collar appears to be 6.5mm, and these type of socket typically use a push-nut/wafer-nut for retention. Try zooming in on the pdf and I think you'll see. A little epoxy on the inside face of the panel once you have the thing located properly and I think you'd be good to go.

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 05:32:47 pm by mnementh »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #49893 on: February 16, 2020, 05:33:23 pm »

Best thing is stop going in shops. At least amazon are up front about this shit.
Just ditch the smartphone and a lot of issues are solved. Ditch the mobile phone entirely for a better result.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49894 on: February 16, 2020, 05:37:18 pm »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jan/28/fitness-tracking-app-gives-away-location-of-secret-us-army-bases

And let's not forget this golden nugget of the information age... :palm:

mnem
Even paranoids have enemies.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49895 on: February 16, 2020, 05:38:20 pm »

OOPs, sorry these are 1mm sockets, I was wrong when I said that they were 2mm  :palm: But the hole size is too small alas.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49896 on: February 16, 2020, 05:47:46 pm »

It looks to me like the socket itself is 1mm, but the solder terminal is 1.8mm. OD of the collar appears to be 6.5mm, and these type of socket typically use a push-nut/wafer-nut for retention. Try zooming in on the pdf and I think you'll see. A little epoxy on the inside face of the panel once you have the thing located properly and I think you'd be good to go.

mnem
 :-/O
Yeah, I've already zoomed right in and I really don't think that there is a locknut there, it gives the hole dia as being 2.7mm and a max of 3mm and the text does say the socket is pressed fit into pre-drilled holes. I suppose I could use some hot snot in and around the socket behind the panel to hold them in place.  :phew:
Who let Murphy in?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49897 on: February 16, 2020, 06:05:51 pm »
Scheiss... I read that .pdf wrong. The collar diameter of the 1-EB1 socket/insulator is 4mm and depth is 6.5mm.   AND, as you surmised, they ARE designed for press-fit into molded or drilled plastic panels. The installation mandrels are on page 171 below.  |O

EDIT: Still could make them work by adding stepped washers (3D printed maybe... >:D) on the front and wafer-nuts sourced elsewhere, but I'd definitely save that as a last option; lots of assache going down that path.  :scared:

Here's the assembly instructions for the 1-EB1 socket: https://ec.staubli.com/AcroFiles/MA/TM_MA102_(de-en).pdf

Here's their Test Accessories catalog in English showing the 1-EB1 socket: https://ec.staubli.com/AcroFiles/Catalogues/TM_TM-Main-11014124_(en)_hi.pdf

And here's their Miniature Connectors Catalog in English: https://ec.staubli.com/AcroFiles/Catalogues/IS_Min-Main-11014049_(en)_hi.pdf

Lots of connector-ey goodness there in those two documents.  ;D

mnem
Epoxy will hide a multitude of sins.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 06:19:17 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, FransW

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49898 on: February 16, 2020, 06:16:19 pm »

Just ditch the smartphone and a lot of issues are solved. Ditch the mobile phone entirely for a better result.

I’m not going back to bashing rocks together now :)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49899 on: February 16, 2020, 06:22:25 pm »
Scheiss... I read that .pdf wrong. The collar diameter of the 1-EB1 socket/insulator is 4mm and depth is 6.5mm.   AND, as you surmised, they ARE designed for press-fit into molded or drilled plastic panels. The installation mandrels are on page 171 below.  |O

Still could make them work by adding stepped washers (3D printed maybe... >:D) on the front and wafer-nuts sourced elsewhere, but I'd definitely save that as a last option; lots of assache going down that path.  :scared:

Here's the assembly instructions for the 1-EB1 socket: https://ec.staubli.com/AcroFiles/MA/TM_MA102_(de-en).pdf

Here's their Test Accessories catalog in English showing the 1-EB1 socket: https://ec.staubli.com/AcroFiles/Catalogues/TM_TM-Main-11014124_(en)_hi.pdf

And here's their Miniature Connectors Catalog in English: https://ec.staubli.com/AcroFiles/Catalogues/IS_Min-Main-11014049_(en)_hi.pdf

Lots of connector-ey goodness there in those two documents.  ;D

mnem
Epoxy will hide a multitude of sins.

Haha, I think the cold is getting to you, I think the depth of the collar is 4mm and the dia is 6.5mm, which would give a flange fix of just 1mm with a further 1mm to be filled with hot glue or epoxy, not easy to get proper alignment but not totally impossible to get a passable fit?
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf