Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14912241 times)

mnementh, ch_scr and 260 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #49925 on: February 16, 2020, 11:04:46 pm »
All those services have gone digital (TETRA) in Sweden. That net is fully encrypted, and you can only get in with a permit. Of course, encryption is not deemed good enough even for the lowest grade military classification, but it sure stops the scanners.  I'm on call for a couple TV sports events this week, and we've got a few of those radios, tied in to the studio intercom, so am lugging one around. Sound quality is shit. But coverage is good, including the tube, and no, I can't listen to the police. Talk group restriction.
Why do emergency services need encryption? They've got nothing to hide, do they?

lol
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49926 on: February 16, 2020, 11:11:52 pm »
When cordless phones were 46MHz and in the clear I was able to pick them up. Heard some juicy conversations.  :-DD

Yeah we've got them here too. Mostly the Raynet plastic pigs like the following numpty:

Fortunately all they talk about is the "tea urn in the Raynet dogging caravan is empty again"  :-DD

To give you an idea how seriously people take them, the only place they were at that I have been, someone was making chicken noises on their net frequency so they QSY'd to another one. Next thing someone goes "moooooo!" on that freq  :-DD. I'm sure it was the VMARS guys as a big chunk are ex military an think they are dickheads.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #49927 on: February 16, 2020, 11:29:44 pm »
You can still use it for listening into militia dickheads  :-DD

These militia folks are endearing but if they get a kick out of roleplaying, more the power to them.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #49928 on: February 16, 2020, 11:36:15 pm »

These militia folks are endearing but if they get a kick out of roleplaying, more the power to them.

Well, some of the militia groups on this side of the pond ain't role playing. They play for keeps with ideologies ranging from Nazi's to KKK. And they have arsenals that would make some armies jealous.  :scared: 
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49929 on: February 16, 2020, 11:40:39 pm »
Yep exactly that. Plenty of wannabes here as well. Fortunately we have strict gun control.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49930 on: February 16, 2020, 11:47:59 pm »
Another reason for the encryption is because the criminals (in the case of Police, who were first to switch over IIRC) could scan the police bands and that way they could evacuate a building in the case of an silent alarm being triggered, so when the police arrived, they had long departed and escape apprehension. 
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #49931 on: February 17, 2020, 12:09:31 am »
Well, some of the militia groups on this side of the pond ain't role playing. They play for keeps with ideologies ranging from Nazi's to KKK. And they have arsenals that would make some armies jealous.  :scared:
Exactly, "playing" for keeps with the emphasis on playing. I know some have impressive arsenals but the pretense that will provide any kind of challenge to the actual government when everything goes pear shaped is endearing. Even the well organised groups with ex-military members and some serious kit don't stand a chance. We're not even talking about the lads like the one in the picture who may have trouble doing a two mile run.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #49932 on: February 17, 2020, 12:14:08 am »
Another reason for the encryption is because the criminals (in the case of Police, who were first to switch over IIRC) could scan the police bands and that way they could evacuate a building in the case of an silent alarm being triggered, so when the police arrived, they had long departed and escape apprehension.
It's not as if somewhat organised criminals can't access the information now. Thinking you can safely communicate when people can listen in may be worse than not having encryption.

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49933 on: February 17, 2020, 12:20:04 am »
nearfield traffic analysis is usually sufficient to avoid the constabulary
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #49934 on: February 17, 2020, 12:57:00 am »
It's not as if somewhat organised criminals can't access the information now. Thinking you can safely communicate when people can listen in may be worse than not having encryption.

That level of organization they're no longer called criminals; they're called politicians. ;) And they're the ones giving the constabulary their marching orders.  :palm:

mnem
Cynic...? Isn't that where you wash the dishes?
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #49935 on: February 17, 2020, 01:09:05 am »

This guy generated pages of commentary over on the reddit amateur radio thread.
specialization is for insects.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49936 on: February 17, 2020, 01:10:26 am »

truth that.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49937 on: February 17, 2020, 01:12:24 am »
Exactly, "playing" for keeps with the emphasis on playing. I know some have impressive arsenals but the pretense that will provide any kind of challenge to the actual government when everything goes pear shaped is endearing. Even the well organised groups with ex-military members and some serious kit don't stand a chance. We're not even talking about the lads like the one in the picture who may have trouble doing a two mile run.

it isn't the gummint that those arsenals are aimed towards. it never is.

Online bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49938 on: February 17, 2020, 01:16:30 am »

This guy generated pages of commentary over on the reddit amateur radio thread.

Yeah and most of it was hilarious  :-DD

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49939 on: February 17, 2020, 01:35:57 am »
With a gawddamn 'feng on his MOLLE belt...? :wtf:  Were they riding his ass like a party-rate prostitute? 

mnem
Waitaminnit... the similarities don't end there, do they...   :o
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 01:37:30 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #49940 on: February 17, 2020, 01:42:47 am »
That level of organization they're no longer called criminals; they're called politicians. ;) And they're the ones giving the constabulary their marching orders.  :palm:

mnem
Cynic...? Isn't that where you wash the dishes?
You give politicians too much credit. Though it's hardly a feat to obtain a police scanner one way or another. Much more sophisticated schemes have been unearthed with organised crime engaging in counter intelligence in various ways.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #49941 on: February 17, 2020, 02:00:03 am »
it isn't the gummint that those arsenals are aimed towards. it never is.
There seem to be a fair few who think they can keep the government in check.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #49942 on: February 17, 2020, 02:17:18 am »
Back on subject. I've got bench 2 cleared off again and practically busted a nut getting the 535A on it's side to do more capacitors tomorrow.  :phew:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #49943 on: February 17, 2020, 02:35:38 am »
Man - I looked outside this thread. There's a whole forum outside of here!  :-DD

Been in some 3D printing threads but I haven't forgotten about you guys.  :)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #49944 on: February 17, 2020, 02:59:28 am »
Yeah, this thread only contains 10% of the posts in the test equipment forum so far, but we're working on it. ;D
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #49945 on: February 17, 2020, 03:08:54 am »
So....... keeping it On topic as Papa Smurf has 'tried to do' for now at least  :-DD

Watched an item a few days ago :palm:. Downloaded manual and spec sheets for careful review  :-+. Looked at physical size and weight of the ships Anchor 35kg :o Looked at the location and length of journey to go pick up the Anchor 800km round trip (better take a packed lunch and dinner)  :-- Consider the proper Coffee Shops along the way to help fuel the trip without murdering the tastebuds. Nervously drink Several Coffees ready to do a manual snipe bid lest Gixen fail (has done before on me) …. Max Bid & punch Enter at T-3S Sorry Wallet but I did it anyway  >:D Now to arrange pickup of the new Baby and wonder if it actually works ………. If it does I reckon it is a steal eBay auction: #114102617109

Fluke 5101B with extended Frequency and a few communication options.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: edavid, tautech, med6753, mnementh, grizewald, Kosmic

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49946 on: February 17, 2020, 03:33:28 am »
So....... keeping it On topic as Papa Smurf has 'tried to do' for now at least  :-DD

Watched an item a few days ago :palm:. Downloaded manual and spec sheets for careful review  :-+. Looked at physical size and weight of the ships Anchor 35kg :o Looked at the location and length of journey to go pick up the Anchor 800km round trip (better take a packed lunch and dinner)  :-- Consider the proper Coffee Shops along the way to help fuel the trip without murdering the tastebuds. Nervously drink Several Coffees ready to do a manual snipe bid lest Gixen fail (has done before on me) …. Max Bid & punch Enter at T-3S Sorry Wallet but I did it anyway  >:D Now to arrange pickup of the new Baby and wonder if it actually works ………. If it does I reckon it is a steal eBay auction: #114102617109

Fluke 5101B with extended Frequency and a few communication options.

you bought it! that's awesome. i can't wait to see that beast on your bench getting tested out. if it works, it was a deal. a big, heavy, hard to move deal, but whatever.  ;D  :-+

Online mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49947 on: February 17, 2020, 03:52:57 am »
In Other News...

Currently watching James May’s “Man Lab”; a show which promises to help the modern would-be cro-magnon find his inner self-sufficient hairless ape.

He starts right out with a brief overview including defusing a UXB, building a manly kitchen entirely of concrete (including the countertop), and wooing a damsel in the neo-classical style.

You limeys better take good care of this summitch; he’s a fucking national treasure.  :-DD

mnem
And uhhh... don’t git any on ya.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #49948 on: February 17, 2020, 04:19:39 am »
Very cool Bean !  8)  :-+
Safe trip buddy......caffeine up and you'll be there and back in no time.....unless you end up filling the wagon with other stuff too !  :scared:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #49949 on: February 17, 2020, 05:08:35 am »
Very cool Bean !  8)  :-+
Safe trip buddy......caffeine up and you'll be there and back in no time.....unless you end up filling the wagon with other stuff too ! :scared:

Going to try and avoid it but I am going past a bunch of my favourite old haunts  :-DD

Pickup Mission is set for Friday at this stage but I am just looking into couriers and a few of the local Furniture carriers and see how that might work out for the $. There is about $100 AUpesos in fuel plus the Coffee costs to consider. Add to that the pain of having several hours of Melbourne Traffic to contend with  |O
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf