Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14901303 times)

Carl_Smith and 198 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #50250 on: February 19, 2020, 08:56:27 pm »

I'm finding that many of the techniques I used as a kid are not exactly good for an old fart like myself; but trying to glean useful information from the sea of "Health & Fitness Guru" bundahoo is a mental workout like none I've ever faced before. Last session I literally went to bed with a pounding headache from all the BS. |O

Try finding a textbook of exercises that's aimed at physiotherapy students. Physios don't go in for woo-woo, bundahoo, or any of that malarkey.

My experience with physiotherapists here in the UK is that those guys and gals really know their stuff and can get you sweating and aching in minutes without putting you at any risk of doing yourself harm. I've had all kinds of aches, pains and dismobility go away by seeking advice and exercise plans from physios and, kind of obviously, actually following the advice and exercise plans.

Thanks. After the neuron-scorching I've suffered online, I'm totes ready to go dead-tree format for a while. So... where to find said tomes...? Amazon of course.  :palm:

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #50251 on: February 19, 2020, 09:27:45 pm »

I'm finding that many of the techniques I used as a kid are not exactly good for an old fart like myself; but trying to glean useful information from the sea of "Health & Fitness Guru" bundahoo is a mental workout like none I've ever faced before. Last session I literally went to bed with a pounding headache from all the BS. |O

Try finding a textbook of exercises that's aimed at physiotherapy students. Physios don't go in for woo-woo, bundahoo, or any of that malarkey.

My experience with physiotherapists here in the UK is that those guys and gals really know their stuff and can get you sweating and aching in minutes without putting you at any risk of doing yourself harm. I've had all kinds of aches, pains and dismobility go away by seeking advice and exercise plans from physios and, kind of obviously, actually following the advice and exercise plans.

Thanks. After the neuron-scorching I've suffered online, I'm totes ready to go dead-tree format for a while. So... where to find said tomes...? Amazon of course.  :palm:

mnem

People, especially doctors, are notoriously  bad at self-diagnosis. I learned that when I was a workstation risk assessor, and had to deal with people didn't realise how they were sitting.

Sometimes it is worth a little expenditure, not least to put your mind at rest.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50252 on: February 19, 2020, 09:52:50 pm »

Medical section, back of the basement, Blackwell's, Broad Street, Oxford.  :) I recommend Blackwell's purely because it's the only bookshop I know of with a fully fledged pub in the middle of it.

The basement at Blackwell's:

The pub in the middle of the shop:

The bookshop actually extends around under and behind the pub. That's a very old photo (2.8i Ford Capri with vinyl roof - must be the 70s) but it shows it better than any more modern photos I could find. The White Horse has now lost its 70s look and looks like a proper British pub again, Blackwell's hasn't changed at all. Walk about 100 yards to the left of the photo and you can see where Latimer and Ridley were burned at the stake in 1554.

Suck on that Barnes and Noble with your little in-store Starbuckses!
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Mortymore, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50253 on: February 19, 2020, 10:04:36 pm »

Medical section, back of the basement, Blackwell's, Broad Street, Oxford.  :) I recommend Blackwell's purely because it's the only bookshop I know of with a fully fledged pub in the middle of it.

The bookshop actually extends around under and behind the pub. That's a very old photo (2.8i Ford Capri with vinyl roof - must be the 70s) but it shows it better than any more modern photos I could find. The White Horse has now lost its 70s look and looks like a proper British pub again, Blackwell's hasn't changed at all. Walk about 100 yards to the left of the photo and you can see where Latimer and Ridley were burned at the stake in 1554.

Now that is a book shop alright
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50254 on: February 19, 2020, 11:26:22 pm »
hey bd

"a hipster on a fixie" ??

we are just simple country folk here in south central pennsylvania. 

so what does that mean?  a picture might help.

edit    never mind.  found it on the interweb.  apparently its a real thing.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 11:47:43 pm by nixiefreqq »
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50255 on: February 19, 2020, 11:56:19 pm »
bought this raleigh grand prix brand new in 1978.

unfortunately it now sits in the garage with flat tires and covered in spider webs.

good thing too since at my advanced age there is a real risk of a broken hip just getting in and out of the shower.
free range primate

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50256 on: February 19, 2020, 11:57:11 pm »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, nixiefreqq

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50257 on: February 20, 2020, 12:06:26 am »
hey bd

were you bitchin' a couple of weeks ago about a sweep problem in an hp 1740?

grabbed one of mine to look at some ttl stuff and discovered it was having sweep/retrace hiccups.

pulled the cover and found this note.  hmmmmmm.  that is my handwriting.  musta' put that note in there 15 or 20 years ago.

followed my instructions from the past (or maybe i am finally gonna' get around to that time machine and its from the future?).  it is now working a-ok once again.  most likely pushing at the top reseats that white connector waaaaaay down at the bottom of the board?

or did you already sell your only hp scope?     

Woahh you are actually the guy in the movie "Memento"  :-DD

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0209144/

Quick synopsis, the guy wake up, doesn't really remember anything, and there is post-it all over the place written by him telling him what to do :)

The following users thanked this post: nixiefreqq

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50258 on: February 20, 2020, 12:09:16 am »
For ref “working” Hipster on what looks like a fixie in London: https://youtu.be/H2UsaO9vEJs

Edit: You can pay these dudes £250 to get something from one side of the city to the other in 30 minutes. Packet loss is about 5% though, usually thanks to a bin truck turning left, and sometimes there’s a some lag while they stop to get amped.

To point out the fixies don’t have brakes or freewheel hubs because you ain’t stopping and if you stop pedalling your heart will explode  :palm:

Incidentally I’m not cycling in the city ever again. Keeping to cycle lanes and minor roads. And I’m getting a fucking train sized air horn.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 12:18:00 am by bd139 »

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50259 on: February 20, 2020, 12:15:23 am »
Anything Japanese will have top notch hardware engineering but the software will be like grating your balls with a cheese grater then jumping in a bath of lemon juice. They just can't do software at all. It's always completely arse backwards and has layers and layers and layers of politics hiding in it that you can't see but are conspiring to turn you into Inejiro Asanuma.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!  :-DD

And I know the reason why. Because all talented software developer were absorbed by Sega, Nintendo and Co.  >:D

Nah, Bd is right. All the SDKs I used from Nintendo and Sony was always a bit weird. On the playstation front it started to be usable with the PS4 when it was mostly designed in the US.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50260 on: February 20, 2020, 12:24:27 am »
And I’m getting a fucking train sized air horn.

Duncan Campbell - yes that Duncan Campbell* - rides around London on his bike with a fog horn of the 'can of compressed gas' variety.

* Sorry, from this point onwards the gnomes of Cheltenham will be logging the traffic of everybody who reads this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #50261 on: February 20, 2020, 12:30:59 am »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #50262 on: February 20, 2020, 12:42:13 am »
They are easily entertained (and so am I apparently).  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50263 on: February 20, 2020, 12:42:50 am »
And I’m getting a fucking train sized air horn.

Duncan Campbell - yes that Duncan Campbell* - rides around London on his bike with a fog horn of the 'can of compressed gas' variety.

* Sorry, from this point onwards the gnomes of Cheltenham will be logging the traffic of everybody who reads this topic.

Yes. AirZound. Comedy device. I got to play with one a number of years ago. Except it was attached to a task chair and we rode it around the office after a somewhat longer than usual Friday pub lunch and played “who’s pants can we ruin next”.  :-DD

And on that note I must depart to bed as I’ve got to actually deal with humans tomorrow. Boo hiss.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #50264 on: February 20, 2020, 01:03:27 am »

A Real Hipster wouldn't have brakes  ;)

And how do they take their coffee - Seriously very very Seriously  >:D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50265 on: February 20, 2020, 01:57:21 am »
Oh, that's effing perfect. Cerebus wins the Internet today.  :-+ :-+ :-+ 

Seriously, I worked with that asshat at the ISD my last job. Completely fucked his head up for a week; kept telling him his tires were on backwards. Even after he took them off & spun them around.  :-DD

mnem
"I don't see a problem; it's only flat on the one side. Roll it around to the other and you'll be fine."
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #50266 on: February 20, 2020, 03:45:54 am »
hey bd

grabbed one of mine to look at some ttl stuff and discovered it was having sweep/retrace hiccups.

pulled the cover and found this note.  hmmmmmm.  that is my handwriting.  musta' put that note in there 15 or 20 years ago.

followed my instructions from the past (or maybe i am finally gonna' get around to that time machine and its from the future?).  it is now working a-ok once again.  most likely pushing at the top reseats that white connector waaaaaay down at the bottom of the board?

Duuuuude

I have been really getting into the habit of leaving myself notes.  I can see the writing on the wall, it is not like my cognitive function is going to improve over the coming decades.

I plan to expand the effort and start leaving myself little maps and diagrams.

Think of it as writing a text adventure for your senility.
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

The following users thanked this post: Cerebus, Mr. Scram, nixiefreqq

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50267 on: February 20, 2020, 03:58:02 am »
I've started doing the same thing with my hindbrain... I text myself messages all the time; with grocery lists, to-do lists, things I need to Guugle or Amazon when I'm in front of the big screen. And I have literally like 20 alarms set for everything under the sun; I positively loathe One Note and Outlook; I'd rather stand in a busy intersection and drill screws through my feet.

The only thing worse is Microsoft HellDesk and Support Ticketing...

mnem
*toddles off to milk a duck*

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #50268 on: February 20, 2020, 04:12:13 am »
I've started doing the same thing with my hindbrain... I text myself messages all the time; with grocery lists, to-do lists, things I need to Guugle or Amazon when I'm in front of the big screen. And I have literally like 20 alarms set for everything under the sun; I positively loathe One Note and Outlook; I'd rather stand in a busy intersection and drill screws through my feet.

The only thing worse is Microsoft HellDesk and Support Ticketing...

mnem
*toddles off to milk a duck*

I was using this until a while ago and found it handy for running ongoing projects for myself https://evernote.com/ Worked well to keep the voices in my head, project photos costings etc in one place.

More Recently A5 Notebooks and a Pentel Graphgear Pencil to help keep the external memory joggers and sketches in is suiting me better.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #50269 on: February 20, 2020, 05:05:37 am »
hey bd

Duuuuude

I have been really getting into the habit of leaving myself notes.  I can see the writing on the wall, it is not like my cognitive function is going to improve over the coming decades.

I plan to expand the effort and start leaving myself little maps and diagrams.

Think of it as writing a text adventure for your senility.

even my notes have notes these days. seriously, my to do list usually has a sticky on it to remind of the things i really need to do. and for backup, i use the reminder app on my mac along with simplenote to catch random shit that as i remember it, so i can move it on to one of the other lists later.

specialization is for insects.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #50270 on: February 20, 2020, 05:25:54 am »
I find myself thinking a lot more about the hereafter now, too.  I go into a room specifically to get something, then immediately pause and try to remember "What am I here after?"  Very annoying.   |O

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #50271 on: February 20, 2020, 05:30:16 am »
I was using this until a while ago and found it handy for running ongoing projects for myself https://evernote.com/ Worked well to keep the voices in my head, project photos costings etc in one place.

More Recently A5 Notebooks and a Pentel Graphgear Pencil to help keep the external memory joggers and sketches in is suiting me better.
That's essentially Onenote. I don't mind Onenote at all. It's very useful and comprehensive, for project administration too.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #50272 on: February 20, 2020, 05:31:31 am »

Sorry to nitpick (not really, we all love to do it here...) but that's definitely not a Capri 2.8i...

It has the square headlights, which marks it out as an early MkII, pre fuel injection and pre Cologne V6 days. The Cologne 2.8 didn't appear until after the dual round headlight MkII facelift, so if it's a V6, it'll have the 3.0 carburetted Essex. Odds are it's a 2.0 Pinto, since so many more of those were made.
The alloys mark it out as a GT model.

#petrolhead#fastfords

EDIT: Whoever put the roofrack on it needs a slap
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 05:34:18 am by ThickPhilM »
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #50273 on: February 20, 2020, 06:21:39 am »

Sorry to nitpick (not really, we all love to do it here...) but that's definitely not a Capri 2.8i...

It has the square headlights, which marks it out as an early MkII, pre fuel injection and pre Cologne V6 days. The Cologne 2.8 didn't appear until after the dual round headlight MkII facelift, so if it's a V6, it'll have the 3.0 carburetted Essex. Odds are it's a 2.0 Pinto, since so many more of those were made.
The alloys mark it out as a GT model.

#petrolhead#fastfords

EDIT: Whoever put the roofrack on it needs a slap

I once heard a catchphrase on that maker, arguing that they keep making cars solely to keep Opel from being the worst.  My experience (Mondeo, Taurus, Cargo, Focus of some sort and being behind the Taunuses on Autobahn in the seventies, which is the source of the statement that Ford make cars where you fill up the oil and check the petrol)  makes me believe this even more.

The Cargo especially. Anything that improves with being sold to Iveco must have been truly abysmal initially.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #50274 on: February 20, 2020, 07:41:24 am »
I'm not too worried about the bandwidth TBH. Anything 100MHz or above is fine for me. The nature of the thing is that it has a half decent delay sweep system and cursors which are far more useful for measurements than other scopes. THS 720A is interesting as it's based on the same platform as TDS200 series which I have owned a specimen of and quite liked it. Also it has 100% isolated channels.

I will take a look at these :D

Lord have mercy on me and give me the time to fix my first THS 720A so I can sell it to bd for cheap.
Got my second one two weeks ago for 81 Euro shipped at Ebay Kleineanzeige (go Deutschland go!), it has the FW 1.16 .

Reference thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/tek-ths720a-portable-scope-teardowndiscussion/ 
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf