Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14822929 times)

BILLPOD and 226 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #50275 on: February 20, 2020, 07:56:44 am »
Incidentally I’m not cycling in the city ever again. Keeping to cycle lanes and minor roads. And I’m getting a fucking train sized air horn.

That's my attitude in Bristol, but I don't mind cycling round Hyde Park Corner. There are plenty of back roads in London, at least in the places I want to cycle when I visit. Just aim in the right direction and navigate by villages.

Daughter much prefers cycling in London, and won't cycle in country lanes. She has an air horn which, um, does get peoples' attention. Also has gaudy blinkenlights on her spokes.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50276 on: February 20, 2020, 07:59:32 am »
Seriously, I worked with that asshat at the ISD my last job. Completely fucked his head up for a week; kept telling him his tires were on backwards. Even after he took them off & spun them around. 

Unlike car tyres which can be put on backwards. Failed my annual MoT test like that once.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #50277 on: February 20, 2020, 08:17:27 am »
Seriously, I worked with that asshat at the ISD my last job. Completely fucked his head up for a week; kept telling him his tires were on backwards. Even after he took them off & spun them around. 

Unlike car tyres which can be put on backwards. Failed my annual MoT test like that once.

Direction or directionless varies depending on the purpose.

As pure road tires are more or less smooth on the rolling surface any side wall pattern does little to zip apart from maybe helping pump out water in the wet but generally there is so little it is pointless.

The shot below is my 33C Cyclocross tire I have fitted to my flat bar. These are lightly treaded and some of the block directions will work best in one direction or the other so direction 'helps'. These are designed for all round speed on a mix of surfaces.

Some of the heavier treads on  mountain bike tires are also direction dependent treaded but I don't own one for a pic.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50278 on: February 20, 2020, 08:25:04 am »

Direction or directionless varies depending on the purpose.

As pure road tires are more or less smooth on the rolling surface any side wall pattern does little to zip apart from maybe helping pump out water in the wet but generally there is so little it is pointless.

It isn't clear whether you are limiting your statement to bicycle tyres.

For car tyres see, for example, https://www.oponeo.co.uk/blog/how-to-fit-asymmetric-tyres
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 08:27:18 am by tggzzz »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #50279 on: February 20, 2020, 08:34:43 am »
Was referring to Hipsters and mnemenths story in part. My WRX most definitely had directional Potenza's on it  ;)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50280 on: February 20, 2020, 08:49:20 am »
I was using this until a while ago and found it handy for running ongoing projects for myself https://evernote.com/ Worked well to keep the voices in my head, project photos costings etc in one place.

More Recently A5 Notebooks and a Pentel Graphgear Pencil to help keep the external memory joggers and sketches in is suiting me better.
That's essentially Onenote. I don't mind Onenote at all. It's very useful and comprehensive, for project administration too.

I basically use OneNote for everything. Also for task management “Microsoft todo” which is better than onenote for that stuff.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #50281 on: February 20, 2020, 09:24:07 am »
My boss told me at work I am too much on the internet surfing... ops. Another TEA effect....  :-[

Back to work now...
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50282 on: February 20, 2020, 09:59:45 am »
Think of it as writing a text adventure for your senility.

:-DD  :-DD
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50283 on: February 20, 2020, 10:24:42 am »
Something TE related at last  :-DD

W7ZOI (Wes Hayward) got a NanoVNA: http://w7zoi.net/mynano/nanozoi.html

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50284 on: February 20, 2020, 10:59:05 am »
While surfing around I've found this weird-looking scope from Metrix:

It is a Metrix MTX 3252 2 Channel 60Mhz Oscilloscope

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283474628268

Never saw one of these before.  :o

But when I looked at this scope, another one crossed my mind:
The scopes from Yokogawa (YEW), for example the Yokogawa DL1300A 100MHz digital scope.

This one comes with a printer too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293044805150

Has anybody worked with one of these scopes and can share one or two stories about them? Just curious how the perform and the handling is.

I've had the displeasure of working with BOTH of those scope. The Yokogawa was slightly better, but both had you searching for buttons. I prefer to have knobs where possible. Having just a single knob and having to switch between what it does is extremely painful to work with. I only used the Metrix once though, as someone managed to destroy it pretty quickly. The Yokogawa is still in use in our lab, but I think it's only used when absolutely every other scope is unavailable.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50285 on: February 20, 2020, 11:25:49 am »
For ref “working” Hipster on what looks like a fixie in London: https://youtu.be/H2UsaO9vEJs

Edit: You can pay these dudes £250 to get something from one side of the city to the other in 30 minutes. Packet loss is about 5% though, usually thanks to a bin truck turning left, and sometimes there’s a some lag while they stop to get amped.

To point out the fixies don’t have brakes or freewheel hubs because you ain’t stopping and if you stop pedalling your heart will explode  :palm:

Incidentally I’m not cycling in the city ever again. Keeping to cycle lanes and minor roads. And I’m getting a fucking train sized air horn.
Looking at your route, most of it will be in the big park and common so your biggest dangers are going to be other arse hats on cycles, pedestrians, herds of bleeding deer, dogs called "Fenton" and falling branches/trees and windy days, so a train horn will be overkill there.  :o ::) :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50286 on: February 20, 2020, 11:45:32 am »
Indeed. The only bitch is Richmond Hill. I'd forgotten about loose dogs  :-- >:( Gotta love Fenton hahaha

Managed to flog some not related to TE stuff today on the sly so have some more money for TE stuff.

Also incidentally I found something with the wrong image on it yesterday that I really want. Have been emailing the seller about it and they're relisting it. Hopefully it will be poorly listed like the other auction he had up which had a bad title and I only found by chance  :-DD
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 11:49:16 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, nixiefreqq

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #50287 on: February 20, 2020, 12:22:47 pm »
Fenton..... :-DD :-DD :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50288 on: February 20, 2020, 12:39:07 pm »
Indeed. The only bitch is Richmond Hill. I'd forgotten about loose dogs  :-- >:( Gotta love Fenton hahaha

Managed to flog some not related to TE stuff today on the sly so have some more money for TE stuff.

Also incidentally I found something with the wrong image on it yesterday that I really want. Have been emailing the seller about it and they're relisting it. Hopefully it will be poorly listed like the other auction he had up which had a bad title and I only found by chance  :-DD
Yep, a fleeing deer takes no prisoners, a collision with one of them at full gallop packs a wallop, seen a few smash into cars and keep going while the car is knocked out and left steaming at the roadside  :-DD :scared:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #50289 on: February 20, 2020, 12:54:11 pm »
Yep, a fleeing deer takes no prisoners, a collision with one of them at full gallop packs a wallop, seen a few smash into cars and keep going while the car is knocked out and left steaming at the roadside  :-DD :scared:.

So, no roadkill, no dinner for Jeremy, Richard and James?  :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50290 on: February 20, 2020, 12:58:40 pm »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50291 on: February 20, 2020, 02:06:57 pm »

Yep, a fleeing deer takes no prisoners, a collision with one of them at full gallop packs a wallop, seen a few smash into cars and keep going while the car is knocked out and left steaming at the roadside  :-DD :scared:.

So, no roadkill, no dinner for Jeremy, Richard and James?  :-DD
You can add bd139 to those three as well  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50292 on: February 20, 2020, 02:32:44 pm »

I had one run across the road about 1s in front of me (I was >2s from the car in front) when I was doing 50mph.

I've also watched a cow notice that its herd had disappeared over the brow of a hill, so take off at a canter along a road, skidding as it went between cars queuing at a crossroads.

It is particularly annoying when these <darling creatures> decide to sit on the road and chew the cud. Always managed to drive around them, although i was tempted to get out and kick them :)

« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 02:34:56 pm by tggzzz »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #50293 on: February 20, 2020, 03:14:55 pm »
Deer are a total menace here. Car/deer accidents are a daily occurrence.  There are too many of them due to lack of natural predators and fewer hunters. Although the recent increase  in the coyote population will have some effect....as soon as the coyotes clear out all the feral and domestic cats. Any talk of culling the population drives the animal rights groups ape shit.

I see deer wandering the property here often. As soon as they see a human they run like hell but just stand there and look at a moving car.  :palm:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50294 on: February 20, 2020, 03:22:28 pm »
@tggzzz I wonder how times a ball lands on a cow pat, take a drop or play from there...hmmm...decisions decisions  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #50295 on: February 20, 2020, 03:27:16 pm »
At least it will make the game a little more interesting. IMHO golf is one of the dumbest games on the entire planet. What is the sense of chasing a little white ball across yards and yards of grass? I don't see it.  :-//

The following users thanked this post: tautech, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #50296 on: February 20, 2020, 03:31:17 pm »
Just as a heads-up: if you are having somewhere around pppd (e.g. the router for your internetconnection):
it can be hacked.

https://github.com/paulusmack/ppp/commit/8d7970b8f3db727fe798b65f3377fe6787575426

Quote from the author:
"So it affects the server and client. Both eap_request() and eap_response() are vulnerable (and have the exact same bug). Further more, there is no check to see if you’ve actually configured eap and are using eap prior to hitting the parser. So even if it’s not configured, you’re still vulnerable. Oh, and it’s pre-auth."

Source:
https://blog.fefe.de/?ts=a0b08d9a

Will write it in the computer section as well.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50297 on: February 20, 2020, 03:33:35 pm »

I had one run across the road about 1s in front of me (I was >2s from the car in front) when I was doing 50mph.

I've also watched a cow notice that its herd had disappeared over the brow of a hill, so take off at a canter along a road, skidding as it went between cars queuing at a crossroads.

It is particularly annoying when these <darling creatures> decide to sit on the road and chew the cud. Always managed to drive around them, although i was tempted to get out and kick them :)

I notice that Minchinhampton Common was the example. I had a couple of near misses there over the years. It's right on the top of a valley, there's no lighting at all in the dark, a chunk of it is blind and it's rather popular for road cyclists, cows, horses and crackheads :-DD. Burleigh as featured at the end is nice. Just don't go in any shops. They are local shops for local people if you know what I mean.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50298 on: February 20, 2020, 03:34:56 pm »
Just as a heads-up: if you are having somewhere around pppd (e.g. the router for your internetconnection):
it can be hacked.

https://github.com/paulusmack/ppp/commit/8d7970b8f3db727fe798b65f3377fe6787575426

Quote from the author:
"So it affects the server and client. Both eap_request() and eap_response() are vulnerable (and have the exact same bug). Further more, there is no check to see if you’ve actually configured eap and are using eap prior to hitting the parser. So even if it’s not configured, you’re still vulnerable. Oh, and it’s pre-auth."

Source:
https://blog.fefe.de/?ts=a0b08d9a

Will write it in the computer section as well.

LOL that's pretty nasty and I like the comment immediately before it that was tempting fate  :-DD

Hopefully it'll be running on a nice OS with a MM which understands the NX bit.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #50299 on: February 20, 2020, 03:36:09 pm »

Moose and reindeer are dangerous. Deer are less so. Wild boar can trash almost anything. I've taken out a deer, it decided to head-butt my bumper and lost. Insanely stupid animals. I've also had a brush with wild boar; its rear legs brushed my other bumper. No signs of damage and the boar was gone in high speed. We've got un-afraid moose inside the village. That will end badly, if the moose does not get shot first.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf