Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14900714 times)

SingleBitError, Carl_Smith and 214 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #50475 on: February 22, 2020, 11:18:48 pm »
Been researching whether I made a wise purchase with the Extech EX530 (branded Rapid) and it seems to be reasonable OK, if a bit slow on the updates at 2 updates a second and the continuity is not the worlds best but is usable, however it is very tough by accounts as this video shows, not that I would personally dream of treating any of my meters in this fashion, but it it good to know that will take the odd knock from time to time.  >:D

bd, would you dare to try this with your little Brymen?  >:D :-DD

« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 11:20:26 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #50476 on: February 23, 2020, 01:15:37 am »
The Extech people must learn do a proper torture test with the Master himself

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50477 on: February 23, 2020, 01:25:49 am »
The Extech people must learn do a proper torture test with the Master himself

Agreed, but they weren't out to destroy it, just to show that it can take a fair amount of punishment in its stride and the only thing that is likely to happen to most meters is the occasional drop from a bench etc to the floor, not being driven over or thrown against a wall like a ball.  :-DMM

Plus of course there is a vast price difference between the Fluke and the Extech so its hardly a fair comparison to judge it by.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 01:28:06 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #50478 on: February 23, 2020, 02:52:26 am »
Servicing the fan motor on the 535A. For the first 5 minutes after power up it would rattle and run at half speed. Once heated up would spool up to normal speed with no more rattle. So the sleeve bearings must be dry.

The fan is held on the motor shaft with a allen key which came out fine but the fan is pretty much seized to the motor shaft. I didn't want to pry too hard so I left it. In addition the motor is hard wired in so had to let it hang out as shown.

I found a date! June 3, 1966. That explains a number of things with this 535A. First, the BNC's rather than UHF connectors. Tek converted to BNC in 1963. Second, early 535A's had wax caps and “bumble bee” caps both of which went leaky. This one has epoxy caps which last forever. So this is a late version of the 535A. It went out of production in 1972.

I was able to get the backside of the motor apart and clean it up and re-oil the sleeve. I have a long pin point oiler so I was able to get to the front sleeve although couldn't clean it. Reassembly and the fan comes up to speed immediately with no rattle. Should be good for a long time. 

Tomorrow continue with the filter cap change.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Mortymore, bd139, nixiefreqq, Kosmic

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #50479 on: February 23, 2020, 02:53:33 am »
A real fan with METAL blades!  :-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #50480 on: February 23, 2020, 02:56:44 am »
And it's kinda loud but doesn't bother me. I think that's because I sleep with a box fan running all year long. I started doing that 30 years ago when I worked a 2nd shift and had to sleep during the day. The fan drowned out day time noise. I continue doing that to this day.  :-+

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #50481 on: February 23, 2020, 02:59:32 am »
That's how you lose a finger or two.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #50482 on: February 23, 2020, 03:00:34 am »
That's how you lose a finger or two.

Only if you're stupid.  ::)

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #50483 on: February 23, 2020, 03:04:54 am »
That's how I lose a finger or two.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, WastelandTek, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #50484 on: February 23, 2020, 03:06:17 am »
That's how I lose a finger or two.

Oh well, can't fix stupid.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #50485 on: February 23, 2020, 04:30:43 am »
Depends on how good your lawyers are when negotiating the service contract. If you have it set up so you counterbill for downtime, and your definitions for "downtime" are granular enough, you can make money on the service contract.  ::)

Happened to one of the ASPs I subcontracted for; the end-client tried to counterbill us for more than the service call claiming I was late to site, when I provided exemplary less-than-1-hour response time. The only thing that saved us was the fact I anally SMS-documented every step in their obscenely convoluted security process, with arrival time in front of the rack to the minute and every ridiculous step their bridge associate made me take in troubleshooting before admitting the fault was in fact infrastructure rather than the hardware we were responsible for.  |O

When the WO for said infrastructure work came across the wire the next day, I noted the address and politely declined citing :bullshit: allergies.  :-DD 

Guess my  techy-sense was tingling on that one; it wasn't until almost 2 weeks later the counterbilling nonsense went down. :palm:

mnem
*currently trying to un-fuckerize a Android TV box with UI defaulted to Chinese*
You can rest assured this kind of service provider has excluded any responsibility they could.

I was the tech onsite for the service provider; I know half the company personally.  The end-user data center belonged to one of the telecoms big enough to own senators.

Not exactly even footing on the legal side of things, I’m afraid; as I said, the only thing that saved the WO was my egregious note-taking.

mnem
 :-/O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #50486 on: February 23, 2020, 05:55:09 am »

Now you need to remove the rust with a sander and the wheels to polish them up... We want mirror finish!

Mirror Mirror!

Those wrenches are black from phosphating, so no.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #50487 on: February 23, 2020, 06:17:39 am »
TEA Enabling PM sent to @Brumby so my Sunday morning is off to a good start  >:D
Yes.  I only got to see it just now - and if the seller was closer, my wallet would be lighter already.  Shipping doubled the price of some things I'm interested in - but that shipping cost would not be unreasonable if the items were packed properly.

I'm scared to ask if they combine shipping on multiple purchases.  My wallet is cringing.   :scared:

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #50488 on: February 23, 2020, 06:34:06 am »
TEA Enabling PM sent to @Brumby so my Sunday morning is off to a good start  >:D
Yes.  I only got to see it just now - and if the seller was closer, my wallet would be lighter already.  Shipping doubled the price of some things I'm interested in - but that shipping cost would not be unreasonable if the items were packed properly.

I'm scared to ask if they combine shipping on multiple purchases.  My wallet is cringing.   :scared:

Based on what I got from the same seller last time very amenable to combined shipping or even arrange your own  >:D Assist Assist  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50489 on: February 23, 2020, 09:12:32 am »
Page 2019! "We're in now-now" and we'll soon be passing ourselves.

Everyone: But, we're not in 2019 anymore.
Me: I know, but if I don't post now, it'll be already be then and then it's too late.

Ok, now we really are in now. And I quoted you... Automatically taking you from 2019 into 2020. Forum time-travel!

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50490 on: February 23, 2020, 09:35:59 am »
And it’s definitely a redneck hamfest this one. Just seen someone driving a porcupine into a lamp post  :palm:

Edit: uniformed raynet whackers as well  :palm:
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 09:46:15 am by bd139 »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #50491 on: February 23, 2020, 10:14:10 am »
And it’s definitely a redneck hamfest this one. Just seen someone driving a porcupine into a lamp post  :palm:

It's early in the morning and first cup of coffee hasn't taken effect yet. So break this down for me. What the hell are you talking about?  :-// :-DD

Edit...See, even your fellow countryman doesn't know either.  :P
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 10:21:19 am by med6753 »

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline WastelandTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #50492 on: February 23, 2020, 10:21:42 am »
livin' in the future man
I'm new here, but I tend to be pretty gregarious, so if I'm out of my lane please call me out.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #50493 on: February 23, 2020, 10:23:54 am »

It's early in the morning and first cup of coffee hasn't taken effect yet. So break this down for me. What the hell are you talking about?  :-// :-DD

The Uniform enhances the Power output of their radios and further gives the wearer disillusions of Authority  ::) Generally compensating for other small things but that would just be conjecture  ;)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #50494 on: February 23, 2020, 10:27:15 am »

The Uniform enhances the Power output of their radios and further gives the wearer disillusions of Authority  ::) Generally compensating for other small things but that would just be conjecture  ;)

Say what? You loyal subjects of the Monarchy are speaking in code today. This Yank ain't gettin it. I need more coffee.  :palm:

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50495 on: February 23, 2020, 10:33:10 am »
Porcupine  = car with more antennas than necessary. Usually because the guy who drives it can’t see or remember the ones he already put on it.

Anyway that was total shit. Some decent stuff but the prices were fucking stupid and they wouldn’t budge. Going on the shit list that one. Biggest complaint is the fund raising trash table which had the fine example of a Farnell L30 which was “working” for £20. Working consisted of missing captive mains cable, missing the meter needle and a knob.  :palm: :palm:. Missed a Keithley 4.5 digit LCD meter someone got for £20 which was a bit high for “untested” IMHO.  :--. Bought nothing.

Time to go for a shit and a walk now

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #50496 on: February 23, 2020, 10:35:06 am »

Say what? You loyal subjects of the Monarchy are speaking in code today. This Yank ain't gettin it. I need more coffee.  :palm:

The disloyal subjects are just as bad!

Skip to 2:05 
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #50497 on: February 23, 2020, 10:44:54 am »
Porcupine  = car with more antennas than necessary. Usually because the guy who drives it can’t see or remember the ones he already put on it.

Anyway that was total shit. Some decent stuff but the prices were fucking stupid and they wouldn’t budge. Going on the shit list that one. Biggest complaint is the fund raising trash table which had the fine example of a Farnell L30 which was “working” for £20. Working consisted of missing captive mains cable, missing the meter needle and a knob.  :palm: :palm:. Missed a Keithley 4.5 digit LCD meter someone got for £20 which was a bit high for “untested” IMHO.  :--. Bought nothing.

Time to go for a shit and a walk now

Ding! OK, now I get it. Hamfest but the prices sucked. Some Hobo with too many antennas crashed his ride.

Now I can go on with my life full of confidence.  ;D

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #50498 on: February 23, 2020, 11:01:01 am »

Rainham/Chatham? Bit of a hike for you: chose longer faster or shorter slower :(

Presumably a lot military (= likes uniform) types.

Pet hate when I was a kid: men that wore blazers with an "important" badge[1] and expected that to engender some respect in other people. Maybe before the 60s, but counterculture stopped that kind of nonsense!

[1] like a school uniform for "adults", e.g.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #50499 on: February 23, 2020, 11:09:08 am »
Well, you Brits have always been big on "Class" and who has it and who doesn't. You still engender people with "Sir" and related stuff. It reminds me of the caste system in India. And all one has to do is look at the sinking of the Titanic and see "Class Structure" in action.

Edit...and I have no class.  :-DD
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 11:11:47 am by med6753 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf