Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14561097 times)

chronos42, 6h8c, factory and 30 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #50625 on: February 24, 2020, 05:43:06 pm »
I’ve bought case parts, jacks etc from them before

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #50626 on: February 24, 2020, 05:59:38 pm »
It is antenna weather, and moving the GPS receiver was the order of the day.

I need to do the same thing. Any recommendation in term of antenna / cable ?

My Gpsdo is 15V, I need to find a antenna supporting that voltage, or add a DC block and reinject 5V with a bias T  :-\

This is Meinberg stuff, so they downmix the signal in the antenna, ship it across RG58/U (up to 80m I think they deem allowable) and then upmix in the receiver again. It is also possible to convert the signal to optical signals and ship it through an EMP or TEMPEST barrier. I believe it and the somewhat simpler coax solution both are specific to their receivers.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #50627 on: February 24, 2020, 08:10:42 pm »
You guys dead?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50628 on: February 24, 2020, 08:15:37 pm »
Nope. I am currently cleaning up my computers and F5'ing ebay searches constantly  :-DD

edit: also just been paid so looking at new shiny toys  :-DD
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 08:17:48 pm by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50629 on: February 24, 2020, 08:30:45 pm »
And I'm watching a video of the recovery of an excavator from a river on YouTube.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50630 on: February 24, 2020, 08:38:55 pm »
That reminds me of this cock up which turned up on my YT feed the other day  :-DD

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #50631 on: February 24, 2020, 09:07:01 pm »
I'm currently on a ferry crossing the Baltic sea on my way to Gotland.

I'm going there to get the Solartron 7061 calibrated. It's very nice sailing weather with a relatively mild 7m/s wind, clear blue skies and about 4°C outside.

It'll be nice to explore Visby without the normal crowds of tourists that there are in the summer!

It can be VERY cold. There's not much stopping the baltic winds. But it is very beautiful. I've not been over since 2011 or so, should really try to, soon.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50632 on: February 24, 2020, 09:20:20 pm »
That reminds me of this cock up which turned up on my YT feed the other day  :-DD

Ouch.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #50633 on: February 24, 2020, 10:10:22 pm »
I do have a mat but it proved not to be heavy enough and was getting mangled so I have to run "bare back" and take the risks.  :-DD

Med, you're a bit of a woodworking guy.  Why don't you just get a nice 1,000 pound lazy susan and build it up so you don't have to drop the boys on the floor lifting it more than necessary and damaging your nice woodwork.

https://www.amazon.com/Capacity-Bearing-Turntable-Bearings-VXB/dp/B0045DV04I/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=heavy+duty+lazy+susan+hardware&qid=1582580672&sr=8-4

I got myself one of these and some other hardware to make one to service a piece of equipment we deploy.  Makes my life easier when I have to keep going between front and back.  It's a ghetto build, not like your work but no one sees it but me and I am more concerned about function over form and it works perfectly for the task intended.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline angrybird

• Regular Contributor
  • !
  • I have a particular fascination with birds.
« Reply #50634 on: February 24, 2020, 10:31:59 pm »
Been lurking on the backside of this tree for a while, thought I'd pop around the front and ask a question.

Do you guys ever talk about stock of electrical components?

I find that for every piece of test equipment I have, I must have at a minimum triple or quadruple that volume (and weight!) in parts. 

I have 3 48" wide, 6 feet tall, 18" deep shelves full of snap top containers, design kits, you name it, parts acquired over time from projects, samples, experimentation, curiosity.  And that's just the stuff that fits in small containers.  As an example, I have inadvertently ended up with nearly every value of 1% resistor in 0402, 0603, 0805, and 1206 from both KOA speer as well as this "Analog Technologies" company from santa clara.  I have ended up with nearly every design kit from Wurth, Murata, you name it, over the years.

When does it end?  How did I get here?  What will my relatives do with this stuff when I die?  Please help? 
THE CAKE IS A LIE AND THESE NUTHATCH ARE WAY TOO DISTRACTING

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #50635 on: February 24, 2020, 10:38:16 pm »
They'll unceremoniously toss it in the tip while grumbling about the old sod who converted their money into a chore.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, worsthorse, grizewald

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50636 on: February 24, 2020, 10:43:56 pm »
Welcome to the front of the tree for change  :-DD

I think that we all have built up collections of parts over the period of years, the longer your involved in electronics, the more parts your going to amass.

To answer your question, unless you are one of these very organized guys, and I doubt that you are, it doesnt get better and yes I think your relatives will have to deal with it in due course. Is it any different to any other hobby, I don't think it is. SWMBO is very much into cake decorating, making sugar craft flowers etc for cakes, also various forms of needle crafts and has boxes and cupboards full of all the gear that those hobbies entail and I have zero ideas as to the what half of them do or their value.
Who let Murphy in?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #50637 on: February 24, 2020, 10:44:24 pm »
Been lurking on the backside of this tree for a while, thought I'd pop around the front and ask a question.

Do you guys ever talk about stock of electrical components?

I find that for every piece of test equipment I have, I must have at a minimum triple or quadruple that volume (and weight!) in parts. 

I have 3 48" wide, 6 feet tall, 18" deep shelves full of snap top containers, design kits, you name it, parts acquired over time from projects, samples, experimentation, curiosity.  And that's just the stuff that fits in small containers.  As an example, I have inadvertently ended up with nearly every value of 1% resistor in 0402, 0603, 0805, and 1206 from both KOA speer as well as this "Analog Technologies" company from santa clara.  I have ended up with nearly every design kit from Wurth, Murata, you name it, over the years.

When does it end?  How did I get here?  What will my relatives do with this stuff when I die?  Please help?

It doesn't end. I have a whole closet full of stuff including several parts mules. And I seem to keep adding to it.  :scared:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #50638 on: February 24, 2020, 10:46:31 pm »

No big deal, it will buff out.  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #50639 on: February 24, 2020, 10:48:15 pm »
They'll unceremoniously toss it in the tip while grumbling about the old sod who converted their money into a chore.

I live in perpetual terror that when I die, my wife will sell all my TE and RC radio gear for what I told her it cost.  :o

mnem
Also, pants.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: grizewald, AVGresponding

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #50640 on: February 24, 2020, 10:49:40 pm »
I do have a mat but it proved not to be heavy enough and was getting mangled so I have to run "bare back" and take the risks.  :-DD

Med, you're a bit of a woodworking guy.  Why don't you just get a nice 1,000 pound lazy susan and build it up so you don't have to drop the boys on the floor lifting it more than necessary and damaging your nice woodwork.

https://www.amazon.com/Capacity-Bearing-Turntable-Bearings-VXB/dp/B0045DV04I/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=heavy+duty+lazy+susan+hardware&qid=1582580672&sr=8-4

I got myself one of these and some other hardware to make one to service a piece of equipment we deploy.  Makes my life easier when I have to keep going between front and back.  It's a ghetto build, not like your work but no one sees it but me and I am more concerned about function over form and it works perfectly for the task intended.

A turntable would only be a partial solution. The biggest issue is I must place the scope on it's side to gain access underneath. That's when the bench surface damage occurs.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50641 on: February 24, 2020, 10:52:26 pm »
On parts stock I've been downsizing here after I had a crapalanche about 5 years ago. Most of it went on ebay in lots. Thus cupboard of doom is looking more organised these days:

The cardboard boxes are mostly rammed with loose parts and misc junk. There are 3 wham boxes of capacitors and inductors in the living room I'm sorting at the moment. Granted a few items are living under the bed of doom now and in the corner of the living room of doom as well.

I still have the loft at my mothers to go through as well. That has at least 6 large crates of parts in it I inherited and got at hamfests in the 1990s.

Edit: I do actually admit to occasionally thinking I should just literally sell every damn last thing and start again  :-DD
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 10:57:36 pm by bd139 »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50642 on: February 24, 2020, 11:08:07 pm »
A turntable would only be a partial solution. The biggest issue is I must place the scope on it's side to gain access underneath. That's when the bench surface damage occurs.

I colleague of mine had a great solution to this once. He gaffer taped about 5 layers of cardboard box to the surface  :-DD

I've still got a hole in my bench surface after my Baofeng decided to jump off the top shelf  :-- >:(. Nothing more annoying than destroyed surfaces. I can't understand how those people work who have burned and chipped benches.

Offline angrybird

• Regular Contributor
  • !
  • I have a particular fascination with birds.
« Reply #50643 on: February 24, 2020, 11:14:25 pm »

I live in perpetual terror that when I die, my wife will sell all my TE and RC radio gear for what I told her it cost.  :o

mnem
Also, pants.

Holy crap, I laughed so hard at this.  I don't lie to my wife, ever.... But I sometimes underestimate how much I paid for test equipment...  Out of necessity in order to preserve my life and manhood...  LOL!
THE CAKE IS A LIE AND THESE NUTHATCH ARE WAY TOO DISTRACTING

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #50644 on: February 24, 2020, 11:19:58 pm »

Chase up some cork gasket/packing material. This is even more hard wearing and dense than the 1/4" used for flooring panels. I used to have a lump for pushing pins into for building Balsa Aircraft back when I actually made then from scratch.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50645 on: February 24, 2020, 11:50:58 pm »

Chase up some cork gasket/packing material. This is even more hard wearing and dense than the 1/4" used for flooring panels. I used to have a lump for pushing pins into for building Balsa Aircraft back when I actually made then from scratch.

One of the things I've found useful for handling things that either easily cause damage or are easily damaged themselves is that high density polythene foam that you frequently see used to make 'frames' inside packing boxes of electronics. As well as the chunky stuff you see in packaging this comes in thinner sheets, typically 1/4", 1/2" and 1". Depending on the weight, I've used 1/4" or 1/2" sheets on the bench for hefty stuff that's liable to dig and gouge when it's turned over. It also provides decent protection from the edges of metalwork that are sharper than they should be.

The best thing is that a lot of the stuff I've used has come free as packaging for something else. I have also bought some for making my own packaging and it's not the cheapest material in smaller quantities but it's not what I'd call expensive either.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #50646 on: February 24, 2020, 11:56:40 pm »

mnem
Also, pants.

Holy crap, I laughed so hard at this.  I don't lie to my wife, ever.... But I sometimes underestimate how much I paid for test equipment...  Out of necessity in order to preserve my life and manhood...  LOL!

The simplest solution here is to NOT be married, as I am now and couldn't be happier.  :-+

And I noticed you are from Puerto Rico. I was, at one time, married to a Puerto Rican Princesa and if you are I warn you. If you value life and limb don't ever lie to them. Don't ask me how I know this.  :-DD
« Last Edit: February 24, 2020, 11:58:34 pm by med6753 »

The following users thanked this post: bd139, grizewald

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #50647 on: February 25, 2020, 12:01:31 am »

Luckily I only have to go thru this happy horseshit one more time to change out the last capacitor. Once that's done never again unless something decides to crap out.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #50648 on: February 25, 2020, 12:15:41 am »
The simplest solution here is to NOT be married, as I am now and couldn't be happier.  :-+

I only answer to one female these days -

937738-0
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: nfmax, blacksheeplogic, Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #50649 on: February 25, 2020, 12:20:03 am »

I only answer to one female these days -

(Attachment Link)

Siamese cats can be very demanding and vocal. Have had several years ago. You traded one demanding female for another.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf