Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14817335 times)

Carl_Smith and 56 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #50775 on: February 26, 2020, 06:09:32 pm »
Not jealous - you are inspirational  :-DD

You mean, like the sandal in "The Life of Brian"?

I never saw that movie but I just looked up the plot. Holy shitballs. Guess what the name of the bat shit crazy redhead was? JUDITH.  :o :scared:

And no, I'm NOT looking for her.  |O :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50776 on: February 26, 2020, 06:13:54 pm »
Not jealous - you are inspirational  :-DD

You mean, like the sandal in "The Life of Brian"?

Hahaha great reference  :-DD :-DD. Still my favourite thing from that film:

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #50777 on: February 26, 2020, 06:19:47 pm »
 :wtf: :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50778 on: February 26, 2020, 07:19:55 pm »
Decided I’m going to rip my corner out instead of the pursuit of streaming. Now I’ve managed to cram half of the shit in my cupboard that was in the drawers I can lose half of them and get a larger work surface.

Just measuring up to see if I can get some Ikea office furniture in the car  :-DD

Edit: it fits! Will run down there after work tomorrow  :-DD.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 07:33:08 pm by bd139 »

Offline Sam Spastic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #50779 on: February 26, 2020, 08:48:15 pm »
I am perfectly happy with my Samsung smart tv.  I got a Factory remote and told it we were in Mexico.  That unlocked some good stuff and a thumb drive works well in write mode with it. :-+  NetFlix and HULU get me 4K and the antenna farm in the attic gets me 40 plus digital channels.  Tvplus gets another 100 channels but they move around quite a bit.  The baby only wants ELMO so YouTube covers that.  No cable just fiber-optic internet so everybody can stream all they want.
An old fart.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #50780 on: February 26, 2020, 10:21:11 pm »

In the short term yes. DoH is emerging which will cause some problems for some of the less respectable clients. I also overheard a conversation the other day regarding circumventing this by using ephemeral elastic IPs in AWS and having rotating app versions every few days which change the "good" EIP list. Difficult to shoot that thinking down unfortunately. It's a bad situation when you have to consider that the attack vector is inside your network and comes from your operating system, applications and browsers :--.

Working from home today and they've started digging bloody holes outside my house with a fibre seeking backhoe  :-- :-- :-- :-- :--
[/quote]

So far, Mozilla are the only ones implementing DoH, with the idiot fanboys who think it is "TCP/HTTP" cheering along and Cloudflare getting all the queries. Here, I've taken the more conservative approach to implement a NXDOMAIN-answering setting for the canary domain, so everything compliant should revert to proper DNS.

On the bottom line, a self-run full-service resolver, with DNSSEC validation, is a much more secure and privacy-keeping setup than DoH. Even if it is vanilla UDP/TCP 53 queries with no encryption.

In other news, the boss cheers on my TE desires at work. Time- and opto-nuttery in one device, for insane amounts of money.

Måns, thinks about another IP protocol (not TCP or UDP, but something /different/, so different that the app devloprs With Frameworks And New Cool Languages That Are Insane Security Holes will have a hard time understand it. Whaddyamean Network Byte Order? I think JSON is low-level enough!)

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #50781 on: February 26, 2020, 10:27:27 pm »

As for listening to music on the TV, it's mostly so I can nick the half decent bluetooth speaker we have for personal use and tell the kids they have to use the bloody TV when they have sleepovers and shit.

I really can't wrap my head around the BT speaker craze. They are FUCKING MONO. We stopped doing mono in the sixties ferchrissake! Stereo is such an integrated part of a believable music experience that I can't even picture the decision matrix that lead to ditching spatial information for what? Convenience?

I'm probably growing old. 

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50782 on: February 26, 2020, 10:40:27 pm »
Only the cheap ones. I've got a Harmon Kardon Onyx Studio which is actually stereo (2x tweeter / 2x midrange + 1 monster bass) and some serious grunt.

Edit: current version is https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075BM52PJ

Mine is about 6 years old now and works like new.

Picture of the guts:

That actually replaced a NAD C320 and some mid range tannoys btw.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 10:48:42 pm by bd139 »

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #50783 on: February 26, 2020, 10:48:13 pm »

As for listening to music on the TV, it's mostly so I can nick the half decent bluetooth speaker we have for personal use and tell the kids they have to use the bloody TV when they have sleepovers and shit.

I really can't wrap my head around the BT speaker craze. They are FUCKING MONO. We stopped doing mono in the sixties ferchrissake! Stereo is such an integrated part of a believable music experience that I can't even picture the decision matrix that lead to ditching spatial information for what? Convenience?

Earthquakes are MONO too ! You need this (see picture):

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50784 on: February 26, 2020, 11:05:47 pm »

The world is growing stupid.  There are plenty of people willing to be fobbed off with cheap toys instead of a proper quality hi-fi.

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #50785 on: February 26, 2020, 11:09:07 pm »
TEA Alert: Ender 5, used 3 months for 250Euro.
Seller got a markforged and don't need it anymore.

I will do the 2019 upgrade so about 75Euro more and 2 months until the corona package will be here.

Are 250 too much?

SWMBO seems to give green light this time.

:horse:

I am late to the party but just do it already  >:D Just don't show SHMBO how it works or you will never get any time for your jobs on it :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50786 on: February 26, 2020, 11:27:41 pm »
Ok new bench design here. I took the liberty of actually building it in fusion 360 this time rather than winging it. Again thanks to the folk who got me addicted to this crack. And yes I know the wheels are sunk into the surface. Couldn't be arsed to fix it.

The rule here is now: only the gear that I need at any time is coming out. Everything else lives in the cupboard of not so much doom as before.

Living room needs to look a bit more human apart from mid project. Of course this is going to change when I move as there will be a "bench 2" elsewhere in the house ;)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 11:29:23 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, beanflying, Kosmic

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50787 on: February 26, 2020, 11:42:21 pm »
The more bits I have modeled in Fusion the easier it gets later down the track for something new or based on X. The Makita Router I have been playing with is common across about 5 or 6 designs and they just auto update to the latest version with the tweaks. 'Insert Derive' and  McMaster Carr's libraries are  :-+

I reckon the sunken chair is a warning walk/bike more and drink/eat less ;)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #50788 on: February 26, 2020, 11:46:41 pm »
FUUU

Friday I will pick up my ender 5, now I have to install F360.
Where are you dragging me?
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, beanflying

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50789 on: February 26, 2020, 11:50:55 pm »
The more bits I have modeled in Fusion the easier it gets later down the track for something new or based on X. The Makita Router I have been playing with is common across about 5 or 6 designs and they just auto update to the latest version with the tweaks. 'Insert Derive' and  McMaster Carr's libraries are  :-+

I reckon the sunken chair is a warning walk/bike more and drink/eat less ;)

Yeah some good stuff in some of the libraries out there. I'm starting to build my own library as well now which is cool. However this is starting to head in the direction of Blender now as I've started playing with meshes and F360 doesn't cut it there (yet).

FUUU

Down here, where it's hot and firey :)

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #50790 on: February 27, 2020, 12:01:55 am »

Ordered before to get my hands on my enderer 5.
I am dancing with the devils...

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #50791 on: February 27, 2020, 12:02:48 am »
and it is 2 AM, what I am doing here?  :horse:

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50792 on: February 27, 2020, 12:06:43 am »
FUUU

More like 'leading' than dragging  >:D

While you await the toys arrival download https://www.prusa3d.com/prusaslicer/ and have a look. I have tried Cura again and went back to the Sli3er/Prusa option. Cura does a few things slightly better than Prusa Slicer but Prusa is being developed quicker by a paid staff.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #50793 on: February 27, 2020, 12:07:16 am »
In no particular order and certainly not in a timely fashion...

I gave up my television (and pretty much everything else but my truck, books, and record collection) when I got divorced in 1982. About ten years later, I realized I hadn't replaced it and decided it was a good thing. After SWIBO and I started living together, we decided we liked watching movies at home so we bough some sort of big screen in 2008 and attached to an AppleTV (first gen) and DVD player. I have no idea what brand it is or its specifications; it certainly isn't smart, whatever that means. These days, it gets turned on when one of us is confined to the sofa with the flu or when SWIBO decides that the best remedy for too much reading the newspaper is watching a romcom, preferably from the 90s.

I just converted one of those little brick PCs from some crippled version of Windows 10 to a linux headless server and the first thing to be set up will be pi-hole. After I rebuild my linux chops a bit more, I want to get a DNS server running and free our machines, at least on this network, from so much dependence on the evil empire.

Things are settling down a bit here and I have figured out how to take care of the dog and still get some time at the bench. Between canine care and my back, I am mostly homebound, so I probably won't get to the Mike and Key hamfest but still hoping.

And, as usual, when you all start talking about all that high end zoom zoom water cooled twenty-seven core zillion gigahertz fourteen slot triple GPU stuff, my eyes glaze over as I wander downstairs to console my small collection of dual core Dell office machines running windows 7.   ;D

specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: beanflying

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50794 on: February 27, 2020, 12:09:10 am »
Ok new bench design here. I took the liberty of actually building it in fusion 360 this time rather than winging it. Again thanks to the folk who got me addicted to this crack. And yes I know the wheels are sunk into the surface. Couldn't be arsed to fix it.

The rule here is now: only the gear that I need at any time is coming out. Everything else lives in the cupboard of not so much doom as before.

Living room needs to look a bit more human apart from mid project. Of course this is going to change when I move as there will be a "bench 2" elsewhere in the house ;)
Nice, but is it any bigger than it was before?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50795 on: February 27, 2020, 12:15:58 am »
Shouldn't be this far of..

(Attachment Link)

This is how volt-nuttery starts, isn't it? Who's to blame? Meter or reference? I must buy more stuff, obviously...
Nice, always wanted one, but can't justify the price. They go for too much on ebay.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50796 on: February 27, 2020, 12:18:05 am »
Shouldn't be this far of..

(Attachment Link)

This is how volt-nuttery starts, isn't it? Who's to blame? Meter or reference? I must buy more stuff, obviously...
Nice, always wanted one, but can't justify the price. They go for too much on ebay.

You want to try and buy a cheap Calibrator Mr  ;) https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/r793a26s7h/m.html?item=283789270310&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562 The seller is a good bloke and packs well. And I am broke so have at it TEA  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50797 on: February 27, 2020, 12:26:51 am »

Nice, but is it any bigger than it was before?

About one tek 2245 wider  :popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50798 on: February 27, 2020, 12:37:18 am »

If you want a decent quality and stereo BT speaker system you have to break away from the normal ones that you see in most shops and catalogue stores and look in Hi-Fi centres etc for the better quality Stereo ones.

I have an excellent BT speaker, in my Lab and weighs in at around 5 kilos. It is powered directly from the mains so none of battery dieing on you rubbish and it delivers real deep room shaking bass and decent mid and treble response as well plus it has an AUX input as well. I have another similar unit in the living room, only this time it has the old iPod interface and AUX inputs, and in the AUX, I plug in a battery operated BT receiver, otherwise is the same unit as the lab one, shown below.

You can also make up some reasonable stereo BT speakers with a pair of Amazon Alexa Echo units and you can even get a subwoofer to match and pair them all up as a set, or even add a BT receiver to an AUX input on a Hi-Fi system.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #50799 on: February 27, 2020, 03:46:28 am »
I really think you're just letting a severe case of "the fukkits" overwhelm you here. You're smarter than the fucking TV; you can figure out a reasonable compromise.

Yeah aware of that. The compromise here is I'd have to accept a compromise now whereas the compromise will probably not exist by the end of the year (house move)

Fair Dinkum, sez I. ;) If that's the case, take the BT speaker anyways and just let them suffer with Prime Music on the Roku.  >:D  If it bothers them that much, good incentive for them to save up their own 180 shekels and buy a Beatz Pill of their own... you'd be teaching them fiscal responsibility, you would.  :-DD

Ok new bench design here. I took the liberty of actually building it in fusion 360 this time rather than winging it. Again thanks to the folk who got me addicted to this crack. And yes I know the wheels are sunk into the surface. Couldn't be arsed to fix it...

Residual fukkits.  :-DD

mnem
Flat wheelie chair wheels...? Fukkit... it's only bd. >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf