Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14566963 times)

klab, BrianInTexas, Vince, K0ELB, factory, wkb and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #50800 on: February 27, 2020, 04:07:49 am »
Fusion 360 Flatpak preparation for forgetful humans  >:D Sheet layout, Cut list now just need to get it done in my spare time after measuring twice and cutting just the once :palm:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50801 on: February 27, 2020, 04:12:26 am »
Shouldn't be this far of..

(Attachment Link)

This is how volt-nuttery starts, isn't it? Who's to blame? Meter or reference? I must buy more stuff, obviously...
Nice, always wanted one, but can't justify the price. They go for too much on ebay.

You want to try and buy a cheap Calibrator Mr  ;) https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/r793a26s7h/m.html?item=283789270310&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562 The seller is a good bloke and packs well. And I am broke so have at it TEA  :-DD
They have some interesting stuff, thankfully they don't ship here.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50802 on: February 27, 2020, 04:17:25 am »

(Attachment Link)

This is how volt-nuttery starts, isn't it? Who's to blame? Meter or reference? I must buy more stuff, obviously...
Nice, always wanted one, but can't justify the price. They go for too much on ebay.

You want to try and buy a cheap Calibrator Mr  ;) https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/r793a26s7h/m.html?item=283789270310&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562 The seller is a good bloke and packs well. And I am broke so have at it TEA  :-DD

I am sure @Brumby or I would 'assist' if needed  >:D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: Brumby

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50803 on: February 27, 2020, 04:52:18 am »

(Attachment Link)

I am sure @Brumby or I would 'assist' if needed  >:D

I will resist the temptation. I just picked up a fluke 752, and can't even test it out yet. >:(  :=\
Not enough time, and all my gear is in storage. Will need to clean out the garage, and bring it back. Almost seems easier to buy a few items instead. :o  :scared:
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #50804 on: February 27, 2020, 06:07:14 am »

I'm probably growing old. 
If you want a decent quality and stereo BT speaker system you have to break away from the normal ones that you see in most shops and catalogue stores and look in Hi-Fi centres etc for the better quality Stereo ones.

I'm less concerned about bluetooth and more about speaker placement. I've gone some length to place speakers at home so that they can have a fighting chance of displaying a believable stereo sound field of some width. One box never will be able to do that, unless signal-fuckery of the time domain is introduced. Or the box is large enough to place itself around the listener (the headphones being an optimised case of the latter.)

(Another special case of the one-box phenomenon is the Sonos stuff. I'm actually impressed with their ability to build a reasonable stereo field with phase synchronisation over wifi; it must take some work to get that right. Of course they have time to do it, since it is not about playing back sounds from adjacent microphones or having a two-way conversation. At work we have 3 ms or so before we need to move a speaker cone. Tops. That means , among other things, that wifi is out of the question.. )

You are however right in that other solutions need to be sought out. I'm ogling a Denon Professional BT receiver with balanced outputs and separate antenna right now. It will fit in just nicely with the balanced crossbar matrix that sits in the middle of my audio system. (no, you can't buy that in the high street shops either, but "we must have HDMI" rebuilds of conference AV systems in hotels et c. results in them being practically free on Ebay)

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #50805 on: February 27, 2020, 06:18:42 am »
I am perfectly happy with my Samsung smart tv.  I got a Factory remote and told it we were in Mexico.  That unlocked some good stuff and a thumb drive works well in write mode with it. :-+  NetFlix and HULU get me 4K and the antenna farm in the attic gets me 40 plus digital channels.  Tvplus gets another 100 channels but they move around quite a bit.  The baby only wants ELMO so YouTube covers that.  No cable just fiber-optic internet so everybody can stream all they want.
Sod anything "smart".

https://money.cnn.com/2015/02/09/technology/security/samsung-smart-tv-privacy/index.html

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50806 on: February 27, 2020, 07:33:08 am »
I am more than just a little in love with my Track Saw  ;D

No beer was consumed while flirting with the spiny pointy bits and all appendages were still attached post job. The rougher edges are the factory ones but a light sanding will sort them out. Square and accurate enough for 'Stralia  :-+

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #50807 on: February 27, 2020, 07:54:32 am »
I want to get a DNS server running and free our machines

I am sorry.
Stupid question regarding home DNS Server.
How can a machine at home know that thisdomain.com in the www is associated to that IP address number?

I am googleling right now.... pfSense should do DNS resolving = server? out of the box:

https://docs.netgate.com/pfsense/en/latest/dns/unbound-dns-resolver.html
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50808 on: February 27, 2020, 08:02:26 am »
You have to point your router’s DNS server to an upstream DNS server which it can get that info from. If it works out of the box it’s using the resolver on the box which is probably configured by your ISP or uses OpenDNS or google DNS upstream.

Your PC is told where the DNS server is on your local network when it gets its IP address via DHCP.

If you add a PiHole to your network all you’re doing is sticking another box in there and telling your router to use DHCP to tell everyone to use the PiHole dude for DNS.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 08:05:57 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #50809 on: February 27, 2020, 08:15:27 am »
Crystal clear, thanks.
I am using 1.1.1.1 right now just because is so fast (low ping) where I am. Moreover right now my pfBlockerNG in my pfSense box is doing the pihole job, and yes the DHCP is pointing to a local DNS IP Adress (my pfSense box IP).
I have now to learn what is the difference between resolver and forwarder.

https://docs.netgate.com/pfsense/en/latest/dns/index.html#dns-resolver-forwarder

DNS Resolver/Forwarder
These topics cover using pfSense® software as a caching DNS resolver or forwarder, which handles DNS requests from local clients. When acting as a resolver or forwarder, pfSense software will performs DNS resolution or hand off queries to an upstream DNS forwarding server.

I think a resolver can not have the information what are the IP outside the local network, here we need a forwarder. Setting up a resolver could be useful to configure local IP<-->*.local DNS for example

msoxscope.local
wifirouter.local
wanmodem.local
raspi.local

still learning this stuff

« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 08:20:18 am by Zucca »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50810 on: February 27, 2020, 08:26:42 am »
Resolver is the bit that resolves the DNS from local cache (things you already asked it about) or local zone (.local in your case)  or forwards it to the forwarder if it doesn’t know what the answer is. The forwarder is usually another resolver which does the same but is owned by someone else. Eventually this all bubbles up to the root DNS servers basically which know about top even domains ending com, net, org and all the new stupid ones etc. It’s like a chain of caches that hands the question up the line until someone has an answer.

This all gets even more fun when you throw active directory into it (don’t lol)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 08:29:26 am by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, BU508A

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50811 on: February 27, 2020, 09:17:25 am »
I am perfectly happy with my Samsung smart tv.  I got a Factory remote and told it we were in Mexico.  That unlocked some good stuff and a thumb drive works well in write mode with it. :-+  NetFlix and HULU get me 4K and the antenna farm in the attic gets me 40 plus digital channels.  Tvplus gets another 100 channels but they move around quite a bit.  The baby only wants ELMO so YouTube covers that.  No cable just fiber-optic internet so everybody can stream all they want.
Sod anything "smart".

https://money.cnn.com/2015/02/09/technology/security/samsung-smart-tv-privacy/index.html
Not all smart TV's have either microphone or camera built in, my Samsung has neither and I'm very happy with it. You can also of course if you are so paranoid about it, restrict its access to the web by unplugging its Ethernet cable when you don't want to access the internet on it.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #50812 on: February 27, 2020, 09:46:35 am »
Ordered before to get my hands on my enderer 5.
I am dancing with the devils...

The ad is still online. Assuming it is the one in Augsburg. :)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #50813 on: February 27, 2020, 09:46:47 am »
Well, nice as it is to have finally had my 7061 calibrated,

the problem is that I'm still here in Visby, even though I should have been home yesterday evening.

First off, the ferry that sailed from Nynäshamn to Visby yesterday morning had a really bad time in high winds on the way over. By all accounts, they got hit sideways on by a huge wave which nearly turned the ship on its side. Several people were injured and there was considerable damage to everything that wasn't screwed to the deck. So they cancelled my return trip yesterday.

This morning, I was supposed to be on the 07:15 departure from Visby, but at 07:11, they decided to cancel that departure as well because they couldn't get the loading ramp secured and locked. So here I am, sitting in a nice little coffee shop trying to kill the six odd hours until the 16:30 departure that I've been rebooked on.

Thankfully, it was easy to find a hotel room last night as the tourist season hasn't started. Of course, the ferry company doesn't cover the cost for that. When I get back, I'll also have to deal with a 1200 kronor fine for not moving my car (I had moved it to a street where the no parking day is Thursday as the no parking day on my street is Monday).

Hopefully I won't get too much crap from my employer for extending my holiday!

So, fingers crossed that I actually get underway this evening and that the snow which is currently falling in Stockholm doesn't stop me getting home from Nynäshamn once I finally get there. All in all, this is turning out to be a very expensive trip.  :-DD
  Lord of Sealand

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, salvagedcircuitry, bd139, Kosmic

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #50814 on: February 27, 2020, 09:57:38 am »

Finger weg! It is mine reserved.

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #50815 on: February 27, 2020, 10:02:23 am »

(Attachment Link)

Without doubt, the reference is the problem. I have one of those, from RoadRunner here on the forum which was adjusted by him to 10.00000V before he posted it to me.
The day before yesterday, I put it on the calibration lab's Fluke 8508A and it read 10.0005275V.
  Lord of Sealand

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #50816 on: February 27, 2020, 10:05:16 am »

Finger weg! It is mine reserved.

As mentioned earlier: I will not touch it. Other obligations. :)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50817 on: February 27, 2020, 10:08:47 am »
Well, nice as it is to have finally had my 7061 calibrated,

the problem is that I'm still here in Visby, even though I should have been home yesterday evening.

First off, the ferry that sailed from Nynäshamn to Visby yesterday morning had a really bad time in high winds on the way over. By all accounts, they got hit sideways on by a huge wave which nearly turned the ship on its side. Several people were injured and there was considerable damage to everything that wasn't screwed to the deck. So they cancelled my return trip yesterday.

This morning, I was supposed to be on the 07:15 departure from Visby, but at 07:11, they decided to cancel that departure as well because they couldn't get the loading ramp secured and locked. So here I am, sitting in a nice little coffee shop trying to kill the six odd hours until the 16:30 departure that I've been rebooked on.

Thankfully, it was easy to find a hotel room last night as the tourist season hasn't started. Of course, the ferry company doesn't cover the cost for that. When I get back, I'll also have to deal with a 1200 kronor fine for not moving my car (I had moved it to a street where the no parking day is Thursday as the no parking day on my street is Monday).

Hopefully I won't get too much crap from my employer for extending my holiday!

So, fingers crossed that I actually get underway this evening and that the snow which is currently falling in Stockholm doesn't stop me getting home from Nynäshamn once I finally get there. All in all, this is turning out to be a very expensive trip.  :-DD

Getting a meter calibrated is going to be costly one way or another  :-DD I hope that you have a safe journey home with it once on board,
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: grizewald

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #50818 on: February 27, 2020, 10:09:39 am »
10.0005275V

Are you still sleeping at night with 527,5µV error?

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #50819 on: February 27, 2020, 10:10:54 am »

Please thank your obligations from my side,  8)

If you are in the Munich area we could drink an Helles together.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #50820 on: February 27, 2020, 10:12:23 am »
Without doubt, the reference is the problem. I have one of those, from RoadRunner here on the forum which was adjusted by him to 10.00000V before he posted it to me.
The day before yesterday, I put it on the calibration lab's Fluke 8508A and it read 10.0005275V.

Well, it could be that
- RoadRunners instrument was off
- the reference drifted
- hadn't enough time to warm up
- the 8508A is off
- Seebeck effect
- a combination from all of the above

Lots of parameters involved here. You need at least a minimum of 3 references to determine, if they are drifting and which one. The more the better.
And you have to compare them constantly, of course and powered up all the time.  :-/O  :scared:  ;D

The following users thanked this post: grizewald

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #50821 on: February 27, 2020, 10:15:28 am »

Please thank your obligations from my side,  8)

If you are in the Munich area we could drink an Helles together.

Well, I'm more located in the southern part of the Black Forest but I think we'll meet at the metrology meeting in June.
I'll be there and bring some of my self-made cakes. :D

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #50822 on: February 27, 2020, 10:19:43 am »

Getting a meter calibrated is going to be costly one way or another  :-DD I hope that you have a safe journey home with it once on board,

Thanks! The calibration wasn't that bad to be honest, it turned out to be about £150 in your money.

Are you still sleeping at night with 527,5µV error?

Very well, now that I know it for a fact! I had my suspicions that the reference had drifted up quite a bit but couldn't quantify it. That's the curse of having lots of very accurate meters with no agreement between them.

The big job when I get back is getting all my voltage sources, dividers, resistors and other artefacts ready to transfer the 24 hour accuracy of the 7061 to the rest of my equipment.

Well, it could be that
- RoadRunners instrument was off
- the reference drifted
- hadn't enough time to warm up
- the 8508A is off
- Seebeck effect
- a combination from all of the above

Lots of parameters involved here. You need at least a minimum of 3 references to determine, if they are drifting and which one. The more the better.
And you have to compare them constantly, of course and powered up all the time.  :-/O  :scared:  ;D

If the cal lab's calibrated 8508A was that much off, then there's no point in them being in that line of business! :D
  Lord of Sealand

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50823 on: February 27, 2020, 10:41:37 am »
Someone scored a good deal. Curse my non budget I would have brought it to keep my 335D company :'(  To cheap eBay auction: #283789253143 and still in showroom condition.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #50824 on: February 27, 2020, 10:44:32 am »
Can you imagine this one on bd bench?  ;) :D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf