Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14833853 times)

EggertEnjoyer123 and 120 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #50950 on: February 28, 2020, 03:57:32 pm »
Yep. It's something I had in onenote I was going to reply with the next time someone asks me that question for ref which happens at least once a week. I didn't type all that now :)

We could just start a thread called "BD139 and Cerebus bitch about software." and then we could just post links to the relevant messages rather than reposting the same rants over and over again.  :)

mnem
 >:D

Perhaps, but how much would you pay for us not to post a video entitled "BD139 and Cerebus get drunk, strip, and practice Country Folk Dancing."?

[Fx: Shouts aside] Hey, BD, I think I've got our retirement/TEA  giga-fund sorted.
How much would YOU pay me not to post video of a dwagon pole-dancing...?

mnem
*repeat offender... lots of footage at my disposal...>:D

Gotta find a pole strong enough first.  :P :P :P :-DD :-DD :-DD :popcorn: :popcorn:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50951 on: February 28, 2020, 04:03:15 pm »
Perhaps, but how much would you pay for us not to post a video entitled "BD139 and Cerebus get drunk, strip, and practice Country Folk Dancing."?

[Fx: Shouts aside] Hey, BD, I think I've got our retirement/TEA  giga-fund sorted.

I'm in but only if you swap that for Morris Dancing :-+ :-DD

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #50952 on: February 28, 2020, 04:16:48 pm »
I'm miffed.

I've been looking at my Keithley 230 programmable voltage source, and it is almost very good. It generates the right voltages, but not completely reliably.

If I select 10.000V output, and the output is measured at, say, 10.001V then I'm happy.

If I then drop it a couple of cm onto the bench, the voltage shifts out of spec, e.g. from 10.000V to 10.012V. Possibilities:
  • the wretched Bourns 3386 single-turn trimpots are shifting. But looking at the schematic, a quick calculation indicates that it would have to be a relatively large shift
  • some socketed metal film resistors in the current limiting part of the output driver
  • some Coto relays in the same circuit
  • another relay which operates to disconnect the output when there is no power
  • a switch for internal or external voltage sensing
  • the socketed DAC08 inckuding reference
Reseating the obvious components with Deoxit D5 does not improve matters.

If I then change the output from 10.000 (i.e. 10.008V) to 100.00V and back again, the output voltage returns to almost 10.001V. Now there's a range change there, but what is causing the "hysteresis" in output value?

I suppose I'll have to stop now and find some precious treasures to flog on fleabay; thanks bd for pointing out the £1 fees.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #50953 on: February 28, 2020, 04:30:29 pm »
Thank mansaxel, bd, horse, Cerebus and the others for the DNS discussion. I really enjoing it, sorry for the others who were annoied by that.

Temped to open a new thread just about that in the "Computing" section, this is so much value it can't be stay hidden in the TEA, or yes it must stay here  :popcorn:
I don't think many were annoyed by it at all, but I do think many, and I'm one who wonders why everyone needs this level of secrecy, it's almost as if there was some deep dark military secretive plot your all involved in. I can't for a single second believe that anyone is involved in anything even sightly illegal, therefore have nothing to hide,  just curious as to the reasons people seem to knocking themselves out, and costing themselves extra expense, doing what is already freely available.  :-// :-//

If, for example, you live in China, the answer to this question is pretty clear: your location, interaction with others, purchases, online posts, internet traffic are all tracked and your freedom, ability to earn a living, etc are dependent on how that collection of information is evaluated by an opaque police state.

If you believe that the facts about your life - where you work, what you buy, how much money you make, what websites you visit, your hobbies, who you associate with - are yours to share or not as you choose, then the development of a surveillance-based consumer culture is not something you should be thrilled with.  If you have some sense of history, that kind of culture should scare the crap out of you because the leap from "your facts for a free email account" to a world in which the government is using your data to decide whether or not you need to be punished is not that large.
specialization is for insects.

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50954 on: February 28, 2020, 06:30:34 pm »
Something else TEA related for a change ;), a bit more information on HP serial number prefixes for the older HP/Harrison power supplies with a three part serial number tag;

First part is the model number, in case it got missed on the front panel.  :-DD
Second part the serial number prefix (number-letter) denotes the date of a significant design change (number designates the year, letter A to L designates the month Jan to Dec).
And the third part is the serial number.

Hope this helps anyone wondering about those serial numbers tags with a single number/letter prefix, I found the description in the HP 6516A manual.

David
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 06:33:06 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, Specmaster, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #50955 on: February 28, 2020, 06:52:08 pm »
The ship didn't sink. The boatload of capacitors finally arrived. Started with a simple one. Going under the knife is a Fluke 1912A Frequency Counter. Only 2 caps.

Before.

After.

The patient survived the ordeal.  :P  (And no, leaving the tants alone for now. Never had an issue with them in Flukes)

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #50956 on: February 28, 2020, 07:01:50 pm »
How much would YOU pay me not to post video of a dwagon pole-dancing...?

mnem
*repeat offender... lots of footage at my disposal...>:D

Gotta find a pole strong enough first.  :P :P :P :-DD :-DD :-DD :popcorn: :popcorn:

Be careful if you decide to Guugle such things... you'll quickly slip into MLP territory that makes clopping feel squeaky clean.  :scared:

mnem
Yes, you may touch it.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50957 on: February 28, 2020, 07:05:01 pm »
Yeah you end up finding dragons fucking cars. And then it goes really weird with cars fucking dragons.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #50958 on: February 28, 2020, 07:07:10 pm »
since the boi got grounded for lying. :palm:
Oooh, dwagon household is in disarray and poppa dwagon is not happy.  :popcorn:

Our middle one was a shocker every weekend and we'd never see him from Friday morning till Sunday afternoon and he was still pissed  ::) but he never missed a days work ever as a result of his wayward weekends. One Sun afternoon when he staggered home with skinned knuckles he sold the line to his mom that he'd fallen over and skinned them.  :-DD
She swallowed it hook line and sinker  ::) and I gave him a wink as he slinked off to bed to sleep the weekend off and be ready for work the following morning.  :)
Now in his early 30's and a solid as a rock sorta guy.

Lies, well some are worse than others.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50959 on: February 28, 2020, 07:08:15 pm »
Naahh... he's just at that age. Gotta push them boundaries; see which ones are fungible and which ones start a crapalanche. Lying right to my face is one of the latter. ;)

mnem
nowadays, "teenager" mode starts in the single digits...  |O
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 07:11:33 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50960 on: February 28, 2020, 07:11:43 pm »
I like this one better:

Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50961 on: February 28, 2020, 07:13:47 pm »
That's one of the tame ones. Don't add Chrysalis to your query.

mnem
I warned you...  :scared:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50962 on: February 28, 2020, 07:14:46 pm »

Our middle one was a shocker every weekend and we'd never see him from Friday morning till Sunday afternoon and he was still pissed  ::) but he never missed a days work ever as a result of his wayward weekends. One Sun afternoon when he staggered home with skinned knuckles he sold the line to his mom that he'd fallen over and skinned them.  :-DD
She swallowed it hook line and sinker  ::) and I gave him a wink as he slinked off to bed to sleep the weekend off and be ready for work the following morning.  :)

He came across a crazy red head and lost the fight then  ;)
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50963 on: February 28, 2020, 07:15:06 pm »
The ship didn't sink. The boatload of capacitors finally arrived. Started with a simple one. Going under the knife is a Fluke 1912A Frequency Counter. Only 2 caps.

The patient survived the ordeal.  :P  (And no, leaving the tants alone for now. Never had an issue with them in Flukes)

Even the big scary brown one tucked under that socketed DIP located left mid-height...?  :o

Good job getting the order in; they must've hired Aquaman to shore up the gunwales with... whales.  :-DD

mnem
 :popcorn:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 07:21:28 pm by mnementh »

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50964 on: February 28, 2020, 07:15:15 pm »
This Datron 1041M voltmeter on ePay UK (with make offer) may be of interest here.  >:D
eBay auction: #383427109379

David

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #50965 on: February 28, 2020, 07:17:30 pm »

He wouldn't have made home until Tuesday if that were the case.   :-DD

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50966 on: February 28, 2020, 07:23:43 pm »
Naahh... he's just at that age. Gotta push them boundaries; see which ones are fungible and which ones start a crapalanche. Lying right to my face is one of the latter. ;)

mnem
Ahh, the fun has just begun !  :P
Welcome to parenthood !

A good few years earlier the lad above swore and cursed me and promptly slunk off to his bedroom but didn't factor in that he'd waaaay overstepped decency and the ol' fella was in no way gunna stand for that but figured it out soon after when he went flying through the air to land gently on his bed.
He had a new found respect for pop's power and we've had a great relationship from that day on.
How he's some 100+kg he'd throw me around like a rag doll if he wanted to !  :scared:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50967 on: February 28, 2020, 07:25:38 pm »

Nearly, he ran with a gingernut and they were always up to no good harmless fun.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50968 on: February 28, 2020, 07:27:48 pm »
Yeah you end up finding dragons fucking cars. And then it goes really weird with cars fucking dragons.

Totes puts all that shit in its place: (Tame, still NSFW)
   https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--ybJtnHYH--/c_scale,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/m1sqhgmmt4q2aw3cvesm.png

mnem
You're welcome.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50969 on: February 28, 2020, 07:29:26 pm »
Hahaha that is pretty mild. I’ve seen the really dark stuff  :-DD

Edit: it has been a mission to replace goatse with something even more horrifying for about 20 years now since someone got me on slashdot once. I haven’t succeeded but I’ve seen all the lowest points of human existence and the insides of some of the darkest and most fucked up minds out there on the journey. There is much more to come yet as well  :-DD

On topic have three things newly added to watch list  :-+
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 07:34:53 pm by bd139 »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50970 on: February 28, 2020, 07:41:04 pm »

mnem
Ahh, the fun has just begun !  :P Welcome to parenthood !

A good few years earlier the lad above swore and cursed me and promptly slunk off to his bedroom but didn't factor in that he'd waaaay overstepped decency and the ol' fella was in no way gunna stand for that but figured it out soon after when he went flying through the air to land gently on his bed. He had a new found respect for pop's power and we've had a great relationship from that day on.

How he's some 100+kg he'd throw me around like a rag doll if he wanted to !  :scared:

Yeah; arse-whoopin' doesn't work on this one; strengthens the resolve. Just like his daddy. ;) No, I've taken to taking away the things he really cares about for this one... ALL GAMES AND GAME-RELATED ACTIVITIES for 2 weeks. No Pokemon. No video games. No related videos, no sorting and stacking and obsessing over his cards, and he can only use his tablet for reading or educational games.

Woops... scratch that... JUST NOW caught him playing a racing game.

Now he can read dead-tree format or play with his sister. Period.  ::)

Next level will have to be a whoopin' and adding on another week I guess...  |O

mnem
Ifni save me if he starts to like his pain like that episode of Moral Orel...  :scared:         Shit... You know how to fix this if you REALLY wanna see it: h ttps://dai.ly/x27a1x0
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 07:56:42 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50971 on: February 28, 2020, 07:54:22 pm »

Totes puts all that shit in its place: (Tame, still NSFW)
   https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--ybJtnHYH--/c_scale,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/m1sqhgmmt4q2aw3cvesm.png

mnem
You're welcome.
Hahaha that is pretty mild. I’ve seen the really dark stuff  :-DD  Edit: it has been a mission to replace goatse with something even more horrifying for about 20 years now since someone got me on slashdot once. I haven’t succeeded but I’ve seen all the lowest points of human existence and the insides of some of the darkest and most fucked up minds out there on the journey. There is much more to come yet as well  :-DD

On topic have three things newly added to watch list  :-+

Well, what makes that particular example perfect is how it sums up that whole phenomenon for what it really is: childish masturbation. goatse was just a well-executed global troll... it made its mark on our collective memespace, and we survived. Kermit goatse was similarly the perfect answer to that.  ;)

mnem
You haven't seen jack shit until you deep-dive fanfiction.net

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50972 on: February 28, 2020, 08:19:11 pm »

mnem
Ahh, the fun has just begun !  :P Welcome to parenthood !

A good few years earlier the lad above swore and cursed me and promptly slunk off to his bedroom but didn't factor in that he'd waaaay overstepped decency and the ol' fella was in no way gunna stand for that but figured it out soon after when he went flying through the air to land gently on his bed. He had a new found respect for pop's power and we've had a great relationship from that day on.

Yeah; arse-whoopin' doesn't work on this one; strengthens the resolve. Just like his daddy. ;) No, I've taken to taking away the things he really cares about for this one... ALL GAMES AND GAME-RELATED ACTIVITIES for 2 weeks. No Pokemon. No video games. No related videos, no sorting and stacking and obsessing over his cards, and he can only use his tablet for reading or educational games.

Woops... scratch that... JUST NOW caught him playing a racing game.

Now he can read dead-tree format or play with his sister. Period.  ::)

Next level will have to be a whoopin' and adding on another week I guess...  |O

mnem
Ifni save me if he starts to like his pain like that episode of Moral Orel...  :scared:         Shit... You know how to fix this if you REALLY wanna see it: h ttps://dai.ly/x27a1x0
:-DD
And we wonder what turns our hair/scales gray.  :horse:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #50973 on: February 28, 2020, 08:32:14 pm »

mnem
Ahh, the fun has just begun !  :P
Welcome to parenthood !

A good few years earlier the lad above swore and cursed me and promptly slunk off to his bedroom but didn't factor in that he'd waaaay overstepped decency and the ol' fella was in no way gunna stand for that but figured it out soon after when he went flying through the air to land gently on his bed.
He had a new found respect for pop's power and we've had a great relationship from that day on.
Haha, been there and done the same myself, no more problems since then though, but sometimes a pop has to do what a pop has to do.  :box:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #50974 on: February 28, 2020, 08:47:18 pm »
Yep. It's something I had in onenote I was going to reply with the next time someone asks me that question for ref which happens at least once a week. I didn't type all that now :)

We could just start a thread called "BD139 and Cerebus bitch about software." and then we could just post links to the relevant messages rather than reposting the same rants over and over again.  :)

I'd like to join. We seem to agree on the targets.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf