Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14888106 times)

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #51325 on: March 05, 2020, 11:21:29 am »
Oha, I'm not catching up with the TEA-Thread-posting rate.  :scared:   :-DD
Doesn't matter I'll post anyway pushing the youngest end oft the Thread even further away.   8)

Some of you might remember that I collected three HP/Agilent 8110A units and several parts that all came delivered damaged despite one signal card -and I got full refung for all damaged parts.

I think I can build two units out of all parts.

I also found a NOS front panel plate (plastic part only with display window but without plate sticker overlay).

Now imagine my surprise and happiness when my e*ay-search revealed an offer for a NOS plate sticker overlay today!  :)

Bought it immediately without thinking of whether the price plus shipping of around $83 is ok or not.    :palm:

With these two NOS parts I will be able to built one nice undamaged unit for myself and one slightly mechanically damaged unit for selling. I might get as much out of it that my unit would be +/-0€ or even better.   :-+
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #51326 on: March 05, 2020, 11:31:20 am »
Just wanted to share with you all how much I *hate* the HP8563E.

Hate. HATE. HAAAAAAATEEE!!

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Mortymore, AVGresponding

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #51327 on: March 05, 2020, 11:38:29 am »
First thing that sells out here is toilet paper every time as well. However the kitchen roll shelves are always still packed. Makes better toilet paper!  :-DD

I actually bought a 64-roll pack this weekend, but we'd run out so I'm not calling that hoarding. 7 kilos of pasta, OTOH... Then, we always shop seldom and lots if we can. Three sons living at home, 7 kilos of pasta is not going to last an eternity.

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51328 on: March 05, 2020, 11:41:24 am »

Yep, you're right. But does that help you?   >:D   :-DD

It got better with newer designs like the ESA-E/E440xb-series..   ^-^
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #51329 on: March 05, 2020, 11:45:04 am »
Today's project. Re-cap of a Tek Type 114 Pulse Generator. This has a very unusual power supply design. The power supply common and the chassis ground are isolated from each other except for a select few switch positions. I have no idea why that was done. Anyway, the two capacitor cans on the left are insulated from the chassis with no common connection. So the replacement capacitors will have to be mounted the same. And there are 3 small electrolytics on the board that will be replaced.

I am not replacing those large silver capacitors towards the top of the board. Those are high precision timing capacitors with odd values and even if I wanted to replace them they are unobtanium anyway.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, BU508A, Specmaster, bd139, Kosmic

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51330 on: March 05, 2020, 11:51:35 am »

Yep, you're right. But does that help you?   >:D   :-DD

It got better with newer designs like the ESA-E/E440xb-series..   ^-^

Got one of those too. But luckily troublefree. Almost. Except for a chirp. Not opening it though, I'm not nuts.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #51331 on: March 05, 2020, 11:59:25 am »

You could sell it on ebay....

>:D  ;D  :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51332 on: March 05, 2020, 12:01:37 pm »

Oh, I will. But for that, it needs to turn on. Like it did yesterday.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #51333 on: March 05, 2020, 12:08:50 pm »

Oh, I will. But for that, it needs to turn on. Like it did yesterday.

Good luck with that. And if you need to replace some capacitors, maybe med will assist?  :-/O   :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #51334 on: March 05, 2020, 03:00:34 pm »
It is sort of test equipment (for bicycles) and meets the OCD requirements!
A bicycle spoke tension meter

Been there done it. If you play the guitat you could let the spoke sing by tepping it with the nipple wrench.
You can then understand what is the one to tight up.

I have a lot of the blue Park Tool in my garage.
Park Tool=Agilent/Keysight=TTi

subscribe to their YT channel, amazing quality repair video!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 03:10:46 pm by Zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51335 on: March 05, 2020, 03:03:28 pm »
I have just had the delivery man arrive...Hermes.... already striking fear and hatred in some peoples minds, especially bd's  :-DD and I must admit I was a bit apprehensive when the eBay seller said he would send the mini GW GOS-310 scope to me via them.

The seller also stated that he would pack it really well...yeh, we have all been there before right? On this occasion however, the seller kept his word, I signed for a rather large black package. The entire package was wrapped in black plastic bin liners and then sellotaped all round again, so for a day like today where its raining cats and bleeding dogs, it was well water proofed. Cutting this outer layer off, revealed a very sturdy banana box which was made from Tri-wall cardboard, very strong stuff. Removing the top lid section revealed another black bin liner full of chopped pieces of foam and no spare space, it was rammed with this stuff, took that out and there sitting on another bag of foam was a small scope wrapped in 4 wraps of bubble wrap, it was then, well protected.

The scope, once librated of its bubble wrapping looked like it had just been out from the manufacturers original packing, it was mint apart from a very faint scratching on one if its sides and only visible under the right conditions.

Normally I'd open it first as you never really what the true state is under cover, it might have had a gorilla in there before me, but I took a chance and powered the sucker right up and it works, just as advertised, Plugged into my function generator and tried it out and it is limited in what it can do but it does do what it claims to in the sales blurb.

I had brought this because it looked to be in good condition in the photos and it is, its was claimed to be working, and it is, but seller did not know what it was or how to work it, or anything about it. Googled for answers, it's a 10MHz single trace CRT scope.

Now I have a dilemma, I had not expected it to be so small, it has a smaller footprint than my Tek TDS210, so I was thinking of flipping it again on eBay but I may just end up keeping it, its ideal for my audio work, although, it does have the same annoying traits as all analogue scopes have, its basically crap at really low frequencies.

Anyway, here's a couple of shots of it in use, I'll open her up later and take some internal photos for those that like their fun to be down and out dirty with naked electronics  >:D 8)

« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 03:05:20 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, bd139, grizewald, Kosmic

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #51336 on: March 05, 2020, 03:37:38 pm »
Good deal on the scope.  :-+ Always nice when a seller keeps his word, especially with packaging. You didn't have to spend 15 minutes picking packing peanuts out of a 1A2 plug-in like I did on Tuesday.  ::)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #51337 on: March 05, 2020, 03:46:57 pm »
The Tek Type 114 Pulse Generator successfully re-capped.

The terminal strips with the axial capacitors worked out beautifully in this application. The original "flying leads" tied in with no issues. And the original aluminum cans were left in place. The other 3 capacitors on the main board were also changed.

Testing on the 7904 with 7A24 50 ohm plug-in. No issues.  :-+ :-+  Later for giggles I'll see how it looks on the 535A. I certainly won't see this 100ns pulse so I'll have to crank it down just a little.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, BU508A, Specmaster, bd139, Kosmic

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51338 on: March 05, 2020, 04:07:51 pm »
A long time ago, my chemistry teacher always called kitchen roll, 'elephant toilet paper' he was such a character - a really good teacher and communicator.

Oh, gonna have to start using that one.  :)

If I ever have to give my shopping lists to someone else to interpret there's going to be fun. Current notation includes (lemons => lemming [Python], carrots => cawwots [Bugs] and so on). Now we can add (Kitchen Roll => Heffalump Bog Roll). I don't have small children with simple minds in the house to amuse with Dad jokes so I just have to amuse myself. There's not a lot of difference, mostly the use of adult curse words and a higher beer intake.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51339 on: March 05, 2020, 04:09:02 pm »
Retrieving the nut/nipple was nearly impossible as it was stainless ie not magnetic and the rim was a two layer design.

I've been there, I feel your pain and frustration.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #51340 on: March 05, 2020, 04:11:20 pm »
A long time ago, my chemistry teacher always called kitchen roll, 'elephant toilet paper' he was such a character - a really good teacher and communicator.

Oh, gonna have to start using that one.  :)

If I ever have to give my shopping lists to someone else to interpret there's going to be fun. Current notation includes (lemons => lemming [Python], carrots => cawwots [Bugs] and so on). Now we can add (Kitchen Roll => Heffalump Bog Roll). I don't have small children with simple minds in the house to amuse with Dad jokes so I just have to amuse myself. There's not a lot of difference, mostly the use of adult curse words and a higher beer intake.

Totes get you. Wordplay is one of the tools I use to keep my mind sharp...  :o Okay, not completely munted. Okay, not completely rusted shut and inscrutable...  :palm:

My mother told me this one when I was a tween... shortly after explaining in most adult fashion about a woman's time of the month and why any male needs to be on the lookout for the warning signs:

What do elephants use for Kotex...?    Sheep.

(Warning: Rude & crude but made me laugh 'til my sides hurt because it was HER telling it)

mnem
*hides under "soggy ol' boot resistant" armored umbrella*
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 04:27:16 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #51341 on: March 05, 2020, 04:22:22 pm »
   Just wanted to share with you all how much I *hate* the HP8563E.   Hate. HATE. HAAAAAAATEEE!!
Yep, you're right. But does that help you?   >:D   :-DD   It got better with newer designs like the ESA-E/E440xb-series..   ^-^
Got one of those too. But luckily troublefree. Almost. Except for a chirp. Not opening it though, I'm not nuts.

But... but... how can you not just lurrrrrve all that gorgeous HF plumbing...?   >:D

mnem
"I have a love/hate relationship with my children. I love them with all my heart; they hate to see me with more than $5 in my wallet."
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #51342 on: March 05, 2020, 04:37:43 pm »
I have these pre-sorted "capacitor packs" for instruments that are getting re-capped. All these are for Flukes. 8010A, 8050A, 7260A. I have a few more to build up but I have to submit another order.

And I have a surprise. A TEA related activity involving leather!  ;D That should grab the dragon's attention.  :-DD No additional clues, you'll just have to be patient.  :popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #51343 on: March 05, 2020, 04:52:15 pm »
And I have a surprise. A TEA related activity involving leather!  ;D That should grab the dragon's attention.  :-DD No additional clues, you'll just have to be patient.  :popcorn:

A Leather Dragon Tail Whip perhaps?   :-DD

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51344 on: March 05, 2020, 05:04:28 pm »
   Just wanted to share with you all how much I *hate* the HP8563E.   Hate. HATE. HAAAAAAATEEE!!
Yep, you're right. But does that help you?   >:D   :-DD   It got better with newer designs like the ESA-E/E440xb-series..   ^-^

But... but... how can you not just lurrrrrve all that gorgeous HF plumbing...?   >:D

THIS is gorgeous RF plumbing:

The HP856x? Not so much.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Mortymore

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #51345 on: March 05, 2020, 05:17:50 pm »
This is the 535A connected to the Type 114 Pulse Generator 100ns pulse.

The 535A is set to .2us with the 5X mag on. It's actually not that bad. It's at least there. I'm impressed.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Sam Spastic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #51346 on: March 05, 2020, 05:27:58 pm »
Ooops have to redo the math the LSC-1 is .25% and LSC-2 is .5% figured everything at .25% so more may pass.

Ok 1 more pass and 3 fails to ambiguous.

Totals again
4 of 14 in tolerance
6 of 14 ambiguous
4 of 14 OOT

Somewhat better.
An old fart.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #51347 on: March 05, 2020, 05:31:37 pm »

The terminal strips with the axial capacitors worked out beautifully in this application. The original "flying leads" tied in with no issues. And the original aluminum cans were left in place. The other 3 capacitors on the main board were also changed.

Testing on the 7904 with 7A24 50 ohm plug-in. No issues.  :-+ :-+  Later for giggles I'll see how it looks on the 535A. I certainly won't see this 100ns pulse so I'll have to crank it down just a little.  :-DD

Nice work med. Question: were you seeing ripple or other issues that required those caps to be replaced? I have a 114 and testing didn't show a reason to replace but now I am wondering if I missed something when I was rehabbing it.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 05:33:11 pm by worsthorse »
specialization is for insects.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #51348 on: March 05, 2020, 05:37:49 pm »

Nice work med. Question: were you seeing ripple or other issues that required those caps to be replaced? I have a 114 and testing didn't show a reason to replace but now I am wondering if I missed something when I was rehabbing it.

There were no prior issues. It was working fine. The capacitor change was purely a preventative measure. Some think it's a waste of time and money but I've seen too many fails....both tantalum and aluminum electrolytic so I think it's justified.

Besides, those capacitors were old enough to join AARP.  :o   

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, worsthorse

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #51349 on: March 05, 2020, 06:39:10 pm »
Well here's my entry into the "smallest piece of HP test gear" discussion   :-DD

Picked it up from the Post Office yesterday on my way to work. The leads were icky, and required vigorous cleaning with IPA, and I was feeling a little punchy by the end   ::)
Here's the pics:

I used forced flash on the shot of the back in order to show the pins on the power connector. Sadly no accessories or psu was included, so that leaves me needing to build a +15V, -12.6V DC supply for it.
A nice touch by HP is the case screws being made from stainless steel.

Finally, here you see the most important use for gaffer tape; apprentice abuse   :-DD
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, bd139, Kosmic

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf