Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 15542982 times)

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #52825 on: March 19, 2020, 01:41:14 pm »
Do you really want to ship them NOW? And probably spreading the virus?  :-//  :scared:
There still isn't tangible evidence the virus remains viable on packages that long. Better safe than sorry is a valid approach but "probably" doesn't reflect what we know.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52826 on: March 19, 2020, 01:55:30 pm »
Just heard the end of the news on the radio and there was something about London shops being shut down apart from chemists and food shops, so it looks my information does have some substance after all.

I don't think it does have any substance to it. Certainly nothing official has happened otherwise the news would be leading with it and, as of now, it isn't. I think you misheard, I'm sure a lot of shops are shut, but because they have decided that it's not worth the candle to open or they have so many staff who've stayed home and dropped the drawbridge that they can't open. All the local shops here (Stratford/West Ham) are open, even the local 2nd hand car dealer.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #52827 on: March 19, 2020, 01:57:57 pm »
Back to spreading rumours.  :palm: If you can't spread the virus you can at least spread FUD, right? People should show some restraint.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 02:00:16 pm by Mr. Scram »

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52828 on: March 19, 2020, 02:08:14 pm »
Waiting on Ocado delivery. I think this might be the next shit show. It's due at 16:30-17:30 but there are some problems:

1. They took their web site down
2. They took their phone line down
3. They have stopped posting on twitter
4. They haven't taken any money yet from my account.

Site's half up now, saying:

Like all supermarkets, we are working round the clock to keep up with high demand and make sure all of our customers get what they need at this time – especially those more vulnerable and in isolation.
As a result, we have made a decision to temporarily suspend access to Ocado.com for a few days in order to make some changes to our service. This will allow us to better serve our customers, particularly the vulnerable and elderly.
We are fully booked and at full capacity, and will be delivering to over 170,000 households in the next four days. If you have a delivery booked for Thursday or Friday, cut-off times for editing these orders have already passed, but your driver will still arrive as expected.

So there's still hope for you!
(If it's true)
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52829 on: March 19, 2020, 02:30:24 pm »
As a result, we have made a decision to temporarily suspend access to Ocado.com for a few days in order to make some changes to our service. This will allow us to better serve our customers, particularly the vulnerable and elderly.

Allow me to translate those two sentences for those, unlike me and bd, who have little experience with modern corporate IT.

"As a result, we have made a decision to temporarily suspend access to Ocado.com for a few days in order to make some changes to our service."
Oh shit! Our all singing, all dancing, cloud-based microservices architecture that all the bright young things told us would be infinitely scaleable, and would just need us to spin-up more cloud instances to increase capacity, doesn't in fact scale, not even to 200%. It's broken, bangaxed, fucked, and is now, like our head of IT, lying balled up in a corner crying.

"This will allow us to better serve our customers, particularly the vulnerable and elderly."
Oh god I hope we can fix this enough in the next few days so that we can get it back on its feet and get at least some new orders through the system. Because the system is so rogered we're hoping that forcing people to prove that they are old or disabled will slow the flood of new orders enough that the chewing gun, bailing twine and gaffa tape will hold.

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52830 on: March 19, 2020, 02:49:22 pm »
And so the volt nuttery continues...

I thought I'd treat myself to a little birthday present and amazingly, this took only five working days from the UK to Sweden, even though it was sent via Hermes UK.

It seems to be calibrated as well, at least on the 10V DC range. Now I just have to get that second KX reference boxed.
  Lord of Sealand

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, Mortymore, bd139, Kosmic, AVGresponding

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #52831 on: March 19, 2020, 02:54:47 pm »
Well I sent the seller of the 8505A a msg this morning around 0530 hours and as of right now (1100 hours) I have not heard back. Nor has the shipping status changed. I'm going to give it another 24 hours and if no change I will take action.   
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #52832 on: March 19, 2020, 03:06:43 pm »
And so the volt nuttery continues...

I thought I'd treat myself to a little birthday present and amazingly, this took only five working days from the UK to Sweden, even though it was sent via Hermes UK.

It seems to be calibrated as well, at least on the 10V DC range. Now I just have to get that second KX reference boxed.
Was that one of the two for sale on here? They're great machines.

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52833 on: March 19, 2020, 03:18:31 pm »
Allow me to translate those two sentences for those, unlike me and bd, who have little experience with modern corporate IT.

Sure, that's why I ended my post with "(If it's true)". I think it was too funny not to share!
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52834 on: March 19, 2020, 03:19:42 pm »
Was that one of the two for sale on here? They're great machines.

Yes, it is. When the price went down to £250, I couldn't resist any longer. :)

I thought of getting the HP branded one to start with but then realised that it was much more of a problem to fix the display on the older HP version and also thought it was a bit crazy that all of the input connectors are red, so I took the Agilent branded one instead.

Lord of Sealand

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #52835 on: March 19, 2020, 03:31:10 pm »
China are up shit creek and full containment is a really bad outcome as well. The moment containment drops again there will be mass infection of those who are not immune. If it's anything like the 1918 Spanish Flu, wave two will be 3x as devastating as the first. People are hanging onto a reliable tested vaccination which is ~6 months off easily. Watch it over the next few months. We've got some of the best people in the world in the UK on this and as much as it's a Tory government, they are taking the right approach IMHO here which is controlled rates of infection, curve flattening and developing tests for asymptomatic cases to get more data.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf?referringSource=articleShare
especially figures 3 and 4.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/world/corona-simulator/
especially the simulation above "Whoops" As health experts would expect..."
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52836 on: March 19, 2020, 03:39:33 pm »
Back to spreading rumours.  :palm: If you can't spread the virus you can at least spread FUD, right? People should show some restraint.
What I heard was on a radio news program and The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan has been interviewed about why has London not followed the other major cities in the world and it is something that is being considered because it is the Coronavirus capital of the UK at present with 953 confirmed cases of the virus.

I also mentioned  that schools were about to be closed, because Essex County Council decides to close all schools as of Friday afternoon following a confirmed case in my son's old infant school, a day later the Government announced the same thing on a national level so that verified what I had said was correct.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52837 on: March 19, 2020, 03:57:21 pm »
What I heard was on a radio news program and The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan has been interviewed about why has London not followed the other major cities in the world and it is something that is being considered because it is the Coronavirus capital of the UK at present with 953 confirmed cases of the virus.

I also mentioned  that schools were about to be closed, because Essex County Council decides to close all schools as of Friday afternoon following a confirmed case in my son's old infant school, a day later the Government announced the same thing on a national level so that verified what I had said was correct.

That is very different from what you said, which was:

Just heard the end of the news on the radio and there was something about London shops being shut down apart from chemists and food shops, so it looks my information does have some substance after all.

in the context of you saying this previously:

My son has just come from his shift in a large national chain store and says that there are rumours that shops could be closed as of Friday night apart from food shops and also that the army is due to be called in to enforce a lockdown. This has come from the store managers who have been briefed from H/Q who I assume have been having high level discussions with Westminster.

It's a far cry from "the mayor says it's being considered" to "London shops being shut down apart from chemists and food shops" as if it's a done deal and " the army is due to be called in to enforce a lockdown". That really is how rumours start and snowball into god knows what. If you've heard that the mayor has said that he is considering some action then report it as that, not as if it's a fait accompli.

Just asking for a bit more thought before, and slightly more judicial choice of words when you do, make a pronouncement.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #52838 on: March 19, 2020, 04:36:35 pm »
Please, do not start a fight about this. It's not worth it.  :-[
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: edavid, Specmaster, AVGresponding

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #52839 on: March 19, 2020, 04:51:23 pm »
Please, do not start a fight about this. It's not worth it.  :-[

It's easy to avoid tensions and conflicts during these tough times by.......

report ONLY what you know first hand or via ACCEPTED news sources. Stay away from rumors or speculation.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, AVGresponding

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #52840 on: March 19, 2020, 04:59:36 pm »
+++ Breaking News +++ Essity is buying Google! +++ Breaking News +++

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essity

:-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #52841 on: March 19, 2020, 05:05:28 pm »
Well, just not-quite-maxed out on my PayPal credit...   :palm:

Sent an offer on a Fluke PM99B series II thinking it would be rejected, and it took less than a minute for it to be accepted.   :scared:

It's quite nice condition, with all the accessories and in its original case.

I sent the offer as I've been offered a BNIB PM97 for £200 + £10 shipping, and looking at the specs the 99 series 2 is way better.
I expect I should confess... it was £300 (free shipping). If I had a wife, she'd be beating me to death around about now...   :-DD

Hopefully the internet will break soon which will prevent me from spending any more money.   |O

@med, this would look good next to your 8505 (assuming your vendor gets on with it):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/G166894-Rack-Mount-HP-3455A-Digital-Voltmeter/392731908711

>:D
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #52842 on: March 19, 2020, 05:11:30 pm »
Phil, some good news. Your HP probes showed up safe and sound.  :-+

I'm going to re-package them for shipment to you and hit up the Post Office tomorrow morning. From this point we'll talk via PM for addresses, payment, etc.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Specmaster

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #52843 on: March 19, 2020, 05:14:14 pm »
Phil, some good news. Your HP probes showed up safe and sound.  :-+

I'm going to re-package them for shipment to you and hit up the Post Office tomorrow morning. From this point we'll talk via PM for addresses, payment, etc.

:-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ :-+
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52844 on: March 19, 2020, 05:17:26 pm »
If I had a wife, she'd be beating me to death around about now...   :-DD

If you had a wife you'd have learned how to be more, erm, indirect about announcing your purchases where anybody can read it.  And would probably also have to have an account at the florists, a local posh chocolatiers, and a shoe shop. :)

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52845 on: March 19, 2020, 05:19:20 pm »

If you had a wife you'd have learned how to be more, erm, indirect about announcing your purchases where anybody can read it.  And would probably also have to have an account at the florists, a local posh chocolatiers, and a shoe shop. :)

You forgot the handbag shop.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52846 on: March 19, 2020, 05:19:45 pm »
+++ Breaking News +++ Essity is buying Google! +++ Breaking News +++

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essity

:-DD

"Google, soft, strong and twice as long."

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52847 on: March 19, 2020, 05:20:16 pm »

McBryce.

You are quite correct, I did.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52848 on: March 19, 2020, 05:31:51 pm »
Blimey. I'm not going to read up. Looks like it'll give me a headache and I've already got one. Cerebus nailed the Ocado problems perfectly. Alas it's actually my job to curl up in the corner and cry, albeit the layer just under the IT managed designed to pass the buck down one level and described by the crazy title that means nothing of "site reliability engineering" :--

Ocado arrived minus the fucking rich tea biscuits the bastards. Everything else good though. Panic over. Phew. Now what am I going to do with 500 pairs of underpants  ::)

Quick comedy update

Looking for sexy things on ebay I can receive rather than transmit seeing as I'm a diseased bastard :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, worsthorse, Mortymore, URI, factory, grizewald, AVGresponding

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52849 on: March 19, 2020, 05:38:31 pm »

McBryce.

You are quite correct, I did.

Also you forgot the hairdressers, that is what a lot of wives would go for, ask bd.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf