Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14830075 times)

Vince and 152 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #54125 on: March 31, 2020, 12:28:16 pm »
@tggzzz, I don't like to say "I told you so", but...

Someone posted a question in beginners, not sure if it's a troll post or not.

I tried to answer it as if it were a genuine question... "connecting to 0 volts"

Well.... yes.

Despite being a cynic, I try to keep that attitude under control. Hence I don't like presuming trolling, at least until there is repeat behaviour.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #54126 on: March 31, 2020, 12:31:16 pm »
Anosmia (loss of sense of smell), and ageusia (loss of sense of taste, had to wiki that one), are actually quite common symptoms of ENT illnesses, though permanent loss is less common.

My neons arrived!   :-+
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54127 on: March 31, 2020, 12:38:02 pm »

I tried to answer it as if it were a genuine question... "connecting to 0 volts"

Well.... yes.

Despite being a cynic, I try to keep that attitude under control. Hence I don't like presuming trolling, at least until there is repeat behaviour.

Yes. To be fair, I didn't instantly twig, it took a few more of his posts. Something about the combination of his knowledge of some more advanced terms and apparent complete lack of the most basic understanding of the V/IxR relationships just tickled my spidey-sense, or should I say, troll-sense.
It's quite sensitive in me because I am a veteran arch-Trololol, though I have no tolerance whatsoever for the newer breeds that are variously a). time wasters, or b). attempting to get people to lose their temper, or c). are just plain nasty to other people.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54128 on: March 31, 2020, 12:38:11 pm »
Apparently my Black Star 4503 has now made it all the way from Wembley to the Hermes hub in Dunstable, thats quite impressive given that it was only dispatched yesterday but bloody annoying when it has been driven past so many local Hermes centres to get there. Surely each centre is capable of deciding if it needs to go the national hub or could be dropped at one of the more local hubs for local sub distribution to the delivering branch? It surely has to be a fuel efficient and less damaging to the environment? 
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54129 on: March 31, 2020, 12:41:25 pm »

Well.... yes.

Yes. To be fair, I didn't instantly twig, it took a few more of his posts. Something about the combination of his knowledge of some more advanced terms and apparent complete lack of the most basic understanding of the V/IxR relationships just tickled my spidey-sense, or should I say, troll-sense.
It's quite sensitive in me because I am a veteran arch-Trololol, though I have no tolerance whatsoever for the newer breeds that are variously a). time wasters, or b). attempting to get people to lose their temper, or c). are just plain nasty to other people.

Yes, I agree, there has a spate of such posts, now I have just learned to ignore them after being sucked in many times before.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54130 on: March 31, 2020, 01:11:27 pm »
Apparently my Black Star 4503 has now made it all the way from Wembley to the Hermes hub in Dunstable, thats quite impressive given that it was only dispatched yesterday but bloody annoying when it has been driven past so many local Hermes centres to get there. Surely each centre is capable of deciding if it needs to go the national hub or could be dropped at one of the more local hubs for local sub distribution to the delivering branch? It surely has to be a fuel efficient and less damaging to the environment? 

Good luck with that. My UT210E was dispatched from Southall, about a 10 minute drive frome me, went to Princess Royal DC up in Harlesden, now is somewhere in Feltham near the airport at the DC there, then will be sent to Brentford delivery office and driven ~1.5 miles to my house.  :palm:

Edit: just did an Ocado order. Minus a whole chicken and some broccoli but they had the rest in!  :-+. I refrained from buying any more toilet paper.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 01:15:28 pm by bd139 »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54131 on: March 31, 2020, 01:29:39 pm »

Good luck with that. My UT210E was dispatched from Southall, about a 10 minute drive frome me, went to Princess Royal DC up in Harlesden, now is somewhere in Feltham near the airport at the DC there, then will be sent to Brentford delivery office and driven ~1.5 miles to my house.  :palm:

Edit: just did an Ocado order. Minus a whole chicken and some broccoli but they had the rest in!  :-+. I refrained from buying any more toilet paper.
Yep, it seems beyond mans ability to understand from a cargo list that those with a London post code for instance, just might be more efficient if they had a local van link that went round the London delivery offices and dropped off those. Apparently it seems that Morrisons, Aldi and Waitrose are lifting some restrictions  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52102906
Who let Murphy in?

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #54132 on: March 31, 2020, 01:41:06 pm »
I refrained from buying any more toilet paper.

Good boy!  :-+   :-DD
Take care and "weiterhin gute Besserung"
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #54133 on: March 31, 2020, 01:42:18 pm »

Same reason we still have cubicle farms. If there's nobody there for management to manage, how do they justify their obscene paychecks...? If the packages don't all go to some centralized sorting center, where managers can managle them, why have the management and the centralized sorting center?

We have such centralized systems for the convenience of a few overpaid douchebags and their need to keep the people who do the work under their thumb, so they can justify their otherwise generally clueless and useless existence. IME, 1 in 10 members of management are actually necessary; and those are usually the lowest-paid ones considered "working management" on the production floor.

Shockingly, the best-paid are almost universally the Stef Murky set... :palm:

mnem
*kvetch... kvetch... kvetchity-kvetch...*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Saskia

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54134 on: March 31, 2020, 02:03:36 pm »

In bd's case, gesund ist umstritten:-DD

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, bd139

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #54135 on: March 31, 2020, 02:05:02 pm »

In bd's case, gesund ist umstritten:-DD

Ah, in that very special case I am very generous!  :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54136 on: March 31, 2020, 02:19:30 pm »
I would reply with something smart but I can't get my head around German transitive vs intransitive verbs today and will probably sound like the idiot I am :-DD

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54137 on: March 31, 2020, 02:53:31 pm »
@med6753 Instantly I saw this, I thought of you, our own Mr Tek. Have you got one of these in your kit yet?

Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #54138 on: March 31, 2020, 03:11:41 pm »
@med6753 Instantly I saw this, I thought of you, our own Mr Tek. Have you got one of these in your kit yet?

Thanks, I'll check it out later. I subscribe to his channel so he must have just posted that.  :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #54139 on: March 31, 2020, 03:13:40 pm »
Anosmia (loss of sense of smell), and ageusia (loss of sense of taste, had to wiki that one), are actually quite common symptoms of ENT illnesses, though permanent loss is less common.

My neons arrived!   :-+

And hopefully your HP probes will make it this time. The Post Office was very helpful in giving a better description of the contents which hopefully will satisfy the pin heads in US Customs. 

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #54140 on: March 31, 2020, 03:15:14 pm »
That’s because it’s more difficult to stab someone 2m away :)

I had to confiscate SWMBO's collection of shuriken and kunai lest she decide it would be better for her to go it alone.  :-DD
specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #54141 on: March 31, 2020, 03:16:02 pm »
There's one of these super cute Tek 212s on one of the Swedish auction sites.

Not so much something I'm interested in, but it's so cute I'd almost buy it just for the cute factor!
  Lord of Sealand

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, med6753, Specmaster, factory

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #54142 on: March 31, 2020, 03:18:09 pm »
There's one of these super cute Tek 212s on one of the Swedish auction sites.

Not so much something I'm interested in, but it's so cute I'd almost buy it just for the cute factor!

And I'll bet they want an outrageous price for it. :scared:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54143 on: March 31, 2020, 03:44:02 pm »
That’s because it’s more difficult to stab someone 2m away :)
I had to confiscate SWMBO's collection of shuriken and kunai lest she decide it would be better for her to go it alone.  :-DD

If by "confiscate" you mean "lost in the back woods throwing them at trees and missing" then yeah...   

mnem
 >:D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54144 on: March 31, 2020, 03:54:57 pm »
I would reply with something smart but I can't get my head around German transitive vs intransitive verbs today and will probably sound like the idiot I am :-DD

I'll admit I abused Gurrgle Translate... I found that every synonym for "a matter of discussion", "debatable", or "arguable"  I tried came up with the same translation, and if I translated the phrase to German, then to English and then to German again it came up the same; so I figured it most likely had the right connotative as well as denotative value.   ;D

mnem
Möge dein gott mit dir gehen!  ;)

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, bd139

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54145 on: March 31, 2020, 04:06:53 pm »
And hopefully your HP probes will make it this time. The Post Office was very helpful in giving a better description of the contents which hopefully will satisfy the pin heads in US Customs.

I work in local government (on the tools, not an office monkey), so am intimately aware of the jobsworth's capacity for being a dickhead.

Please, someone buy this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DATRON-1065A-Digital-Multimeter-8/324120775205 before my resolve weakens.
A brief look in the 1061/A/1071 manual suggests the Err 3 code is nothing more than a result of the "Spec" mode button being active, together with no actual input at the terminals.
Shame the options sticker on the back can't be seen properly, so no idea if it has the AC and Ohms fitted.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54146 on: March 31, 2020, 04:23:58 pm »
UT210E arrived. Will look at it later. Need to attempt to produce a lasagne.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #54147 on: March 31, 2020, 04:34:02 pm »
UT210E arrived. Will look at it later. Need to attempt to produce a lasagne.

:-+

Do I have to bring my own plate, fork and knive?  :-DD

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54148 on: March 31, 2020, 04:35:14 pm »

I'll admit I abused Gurrgle Translate... I found that every synonym for "a matter of discussion", "debatable", or "arguable"  I tried came up with the same translation, and if I translated the phrase to German, then to English and then to German again it came up the same; so I figured it most likely had the right connotative as well as denotative value.   ;D

mnem
Möge dein gott mit dir gehen!  ;)
Haha, the first thing that crossed my mind was this  :-DD

Who let Murphy in?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54149 on: March 31, 2020, 04:39:23 pm »
<Waves hand>  Welcome to the procrastinator's club.

I've been meaning to join that, but I haven't got around to it yet.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: PA0PBZ, BU508A, Specmaster

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf