Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14790850 times)

K0ELB and 154 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #54175 on: March 31, 2020, 07:44:25 pm »
My Sorensen PSU came from that seller, I originally bought the Xantrex version from him which was buggered (no output), it got returned, thankfully he had the working Sorensen replacement as these PSU's are usually overpriced from other sellers. Note that none of the items are tested beyond a power up check.

The yard he keeps his stock in is just a place with many rented industrial units & containers, which are pretty common everywhere these days. I certainly couldn't work out which unit on the site my returned item went back to.

By the way that seller has as least one other ePay account which I've bought a few things from in the past, including a box of broken glass (ex-lamps).  :palm:

He also sold that pricey faulty looking Tek curve tracer a few weeks back and now has another listed with the same pictures, that's something I noticed with the PSU I bought which also had reused pictures.

David
I've also brought bits from similar sellers with the same storage units with no major problems, including 2 Solartrons 7150plus's from an auction house operating out of a huge converted barn. Its not as if they have stored in such conditions for years unlike a lot of things you find on eBay that been discovered in old sheds, barns and garages after years of outside unheated and possibly leaky roofs to boot.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: grizewald

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54176 on: March 31, 2020, 08:03:35 pm »
Did anyone round here grab that TekMeter THM565 with AC/DC-clamp in UK for 134.- on the 28th?
If so, congratulations - and might your batteries always leak!

Dang, after playing with the THM560 a bit, I decided the upgrade would be useful - and it had this RS-232 adaptor, which I am missing.

Otherwise, not much success on the TEA front. I managed to get one of those USB-charged electrical miniature screwdrivers for 4mm bits. I am curious whether it is a tool or a toy.

With preexisting conditions, it feels like zombie apocalypse out there. And it does not help that a lot of people are spending more time at home, because they can bid for stuff. I'm saving on commuting, but that could be true for them too. At least work goes smoothly, as I was doing as much home office as possible already before CoVid and our company is well prepared for that.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54177 on: March 31, 2020, 08:12:40 pm »
Ok got to play with the UT210E finally. After RTFM it’s surprisingly accurate on the bench! 1-2 counts out from the Flukes on DC current. I don’t have an AC test setup. Colour me impressed. Only negative is the continuity is just total shit but that’s always true on Uni-T meters.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54178 on: March 31, 2020, 08:32:03 pm »
Ok got to play with the UT210E finally. After RTFM it’s surprisingly accurate on the bench! 1-2 counts out from the Flukes on DC current. I don’t have an AC test setup. Colour me impressed. Only negative is the continuity is just total shit but that’s always true on Uni-T meters.
Yes, thats the same finding as most of us who have one, has found. For the money they are a bit of a bargain but certainly no substitute for a decent bench or handheld meter but are wonderful at quick tests, an ideal tool to slip in your pocket if your going to be doing some work away from the bench and that DC current clamp is a real boon to have and saves so much time when measuring current providing you can get the particular wire into the jaws. :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #54179 on: March 31, 2020, 08:40:18 pm »

Yes... however, these things can and must be quantized; preferably in units of 53L or less. ;) 

Being yoorpean, I'm a bit more modest. My quantificator is 32 litres. I have a few that are 50 litres as well as some 15 litre boxes as well, but the Model 31 is the most common.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54180 on: March 31, 2020, 08:54:18 pm »
Submitted for your approval...

It looks like a replacement prosthetic for Abu Hamza  :-DD

I'm going with "Borg implant".
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #54181 on: March 31, 2020, 09:03:29 pm »
Feeling pretty normal other than coughing up dead bits of me  :-DD

In Germany we call this "Würfelhusten" i.e. "coughing up dice"  8)
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

The following users thanked this post: grizewald

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #54182 on: March 31, 2020, 09:10:57 pm »
just make sure those bits are dead.

Rebuilding RAID. Aw Gawd. 20 TB Resync. Waiting for the RAID, waiting for the RAID, waiting for the raid ...

Starting efforts to get the Willem gizmo to work. Found a couple of bits and pieces (case, hdd, RAM, DVD) to build a computer out of my bench test/repair board. So this will most likely develop into an AMD based A8 izmo with 4GB of RAM running a fresh installation of XP. Has the advantage of being able to play Civilization while burning Eproms.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 09:15:10 pm by Saskia »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #54183 on: March 31, 2020, 09:20:04 pm »
Has the advantage of being able to play Civilization while burning Eproms.
I prefer Transport Tycoon Deluxe, the open clone of Transport Tycoon.

Superb playability for a God Game. Addictive.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #54184 on: March 31, 2020, 09:30:48 pm »
Can you give me a good deal on a Datron 1281/1271?

Eh, no 8,5's inbound, sorry. Actually have a HP3458 'Project' on the bench, but that's a loooooong way from being finished and it will be, uhm, perhaps slightly more expensive.

That's an interesting new euphemism for "several orders of magnitude more expensive"!

:-DD
  Lord of Sealand

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #54185 on: March 31, 2020, 09:31:00 pm »
TT Deluxe is the normal version I think.

You.re thinking of OTTD or Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #54186 on: March 31, 2020, 09:32:22 pm »
Can you give me a good deal on a Datron 1281/1271?

Eh, no 8,5's inbound, sorry. Actually have a HP3458 'Project' on the bench, but that's a loooooong way from being finished and it will be, uhm, perhaps slightly more expensive.

That's an interesting new euphemism for "several orders of magnitude more expensive"!

:-DD

Well , yeah, 10 times or so ;)

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54187 on: March 31, 2020, 09:49:38 pm »
Did anyone round here grab that TekMeter THM565 with AC/DC-clamp in UK for 134.- on the 28th?

Dang, after playing with the THM560 a bit, I decided the upgrade would be useful - and it had this RS-232 adaptor, which I am missing.

That looks similar to the Tek/Mac Tools Quick Scope, does the Tek THM560/565 suffer from leaking SMD capacitors too?

David

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #54188 on: March 31, 2020, 09:59:54 pm »
Otherwise, not much success on the TEA front. I managed to get one of those USB-charged electrical miniature screwdrivers for 4mm bits. I am curious whether it is a tool or a toy.

I suspect the latter, even if sporting a premium brand name.

That Wiha one Dave got sent is absolute trash. I use my DeWalt impactor on low power setting if I have a really long screw, or multiple screws on TE, and before anyone starts screaming at me, the low power setting is very low power, and with a variable trigger, very controllable.
For removing screws, middle setting works well, and runs about 50x faster than that Wiha...

Gaaahh... frustration time. Can't find any decently chunky heatsinks to take 5 or so TO3s. All the big ones I have are for TO220/247 etc.
Might have to fabricobble something, maybe some aluminium angle bracket if I have some the right size. Mount the TO3s on that and then mount that to a big sink. I have one designed to take a 120mm fan SOMEWHERE    |O
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #54189 on: March 31, 2020, 10:13:23 pm »
TT Deluxe is the normal version I think.

You.re thinking of OTTD or Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe

Quite right. A brain fart on my part.

I also ought to go back and play Harpoon again. IIRC that works in WINE.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #54190 on: March 31, 2020, 10:14:45 pm »
Was that tiny thump I just felt under my keister Brumby's head exploding...?   

mnem
*scratch-scratch-scratch*

NOW!

A box just arrived.   ;D

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #54191 on: March 31, 2020, 10:15:14 pm »
My Sorensen PSU came from that seller...
I've also brought bits from similar sellers with the same storage units with no major problems,

The phrase 'caveat emptor' always applies of course. I was upset with the 7075 because the damage was on the bottom of the unit and conveniently on the one face that was not photographed in the listing. There was no way I could have known and certainly wouldn't even have considered buying it if they'd shown the damage to start with. On the other hand, I bought the 5334A from him because the photos showed no dents, scratches or hints of rust anywhere and it looked clean apart from a mass of calibration stickers. Luckily for me I got a good unit which works well and cleaned up nicely.
In the end though, it's pot luck with this kind of seller. In essence, he's an electronic scrap merchant and has little knowledge about most of what he's selling. You may get lucky or you might end up with something BER.

Like TiN's first 3458A.  :D It probably cost him more to fix it than it would to have bought one in good working condition second hand!
  Lord of Sealand

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54192 on: March 31, 2020, 10:15:50 pm »

That looks similar to the Tek/Mac Tools Quick Scope, does the Tek THM560/565 suffer from leaking SMD capacitors too?

David
Looks very similar indeed. But I do not know whether it is equivalent to a THM560 or a THM565. And I can't say anything about the capacitors, as I did not open mine yet.
The difference between the THM560 and the THM565 is that the 565 can work with variable AC drives, can apply Time/Date-stamping, has more memory and a backlight. The THM550 was a single channel model.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54193 on: March 31, 2020, 10:35:00 pm »
Quick 4503 update, Hermes are now showing this as currently being at my local depot, Thurrock, which normally once it arrives there is sent out for delivery with my local Hermes delivery agent the following day. The expected delivery date is Thursday or Friday, so lets see what happens in the morning when they update the tracking. If they do delivery it tomorrow, despite the notice on the tracking site about deliveries may be slow due the current conditions, I'll be impressed with the speed.  :o
Who let Murphy in?

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #54194 on: March 31, 2020, 11:13:57 pm »
@bd139, I can only apologise for not leaving feedback sooner!

I thought I'd cleared it the other day, yours must have been on another page that I didn't notice or something   :-//

Public service announcement: Do not buy wire wool from this ebay seller : https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/only_wire_wool?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

They sell it by the metre, but I have to say, you'd almost have to unravel the strands and lay them in a row to meet the description.
This is what they laughably refer to as 2 metres:

I don't have scales sensitive enough to measure the weight, but I'd estimate it at 75-100 grams, 3 or 4 ounces.
I'm deciding how to word the complaint.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54195 on: April 01, 2020, 01:04:24 am »
Well look like I'm also a lucky winner. I started coughing today, then muscle pain and chest pain. Now I got a fever.

Really frustrating since I was home for the last 2.5 weeks, only went out once for grocery. And got food deliver once.  :rant:

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #54196 on: April 01, 2020, 01:07:29 am »
Well look like I'm also a lucky winner. I started coughing today, then muscle pain and chest pain. Now I got a fever.

Really frustrating since I was home for the last 2.5 weeks, only went out once for grocery. And got food deliver once.  :rant:

Wow sorry to hear that. You got no clue how you contracted it? Maybe from things you touched from a store?  :palm:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54197 on: April 01, 2020, 01:10:49 am »

Wow sorry to hear that. You got no clue how you contracted it? Maybe from things you touched from a store?  :palm:

I'm pretty sure I didn't touch my face and washed my hands with Hand sanitizer once I was in the car and washed again once I got home. So it was the delivery guy (and I was wearing gloves) or one of the kids got it and she is asymptomatic.  :-//

But I should be fine though, I'm in an age bracket where the risk is minimal.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 01:13:28 am by Kosmic »

Online beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #54198 on: April 01, 2020, 01:11:17 am »
Bugga  :( I think I will keep sticking to home brew Junk Food rather than some sweaty Cook and Delivery driver coughing over it.

Speaking of which leftover Lamb Souvlaki meat and Salad on a Roll for Lunch and another Coffee while watching some boring TEA  :popcorn:

author=Brumby link=topic=81471.msg2992704#msg2992704 date=1585692885]

NOW!

A box just arrived.   ;D

Stop doing jobs for SHMBO and get to opening it already  >:D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54199 on: April 01, 2020, 01:16:35 am »

Shit, that not good, have you got children that still going to school? If so then that is more than likely were you got it from. I wish good luck and hope that you have good result and that your recovery is a speedy one.  :o
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf