Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14831832 times)

Carl_Smith and 76 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #54325 on: April 01, 2020, 09:50:25 pm »

Also bear in mind, they are center-tapped earth on the secondary, so do not try to bond earth to neutral...[/b]

I would NEVER do that, except in ONE place. If, and only IF, you get your feeder from the utility company as a 3 phases plus PEN, which I do, there is a point in the fuse panel where Neutral busbar and Ground busbar are joined. PEN is connected adjacent to this point, and further out in the network, blue and green/yellow never mix.

Further, as a principle, I treat phase and neutral as live conductors in ANY single-phase situation. That way, I never ever have to bother with polarity.  Our plugs (we're on the same standard as Germany, i.e. Schutzkontakt CEE7/4 and europlug CEE 7/16) aren't polarized, so as soon as one's used an extension cord or a multiple outlet, polarity is stochastic.

Bonding the center-tap on the transformer secondary is both possible and (looking at security) desirable. Also serves to teach the poor uneducated about both poles of a mains flex best being regarded as dangerous.

This is done for specifically for construction sites and nowhere else. The idea is to ensure that that both sides of the line (it makes little sense to talk of live and neutral) are close to ground compared to a normal supply. Reducing both sides to 55Vrms away from ground is a lot better than what would be the usual arrangement in the UK of having 240Vrms to ground.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #54326 on: April 01, 2020, 10:36:44 pm »
I can find pretty much all my electronics kit except for the bloody IC box. Almost all the op-amps and shift registers and what not I own not which aren't in actual equipment are in there.  :palm: The upside is that I found my microcontroller box.
I had to dig up half the storage unit but I found it. Found my useless decade box too, and various other bits and bobs that'll keep me entertained.

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #54327 on: April 01, 2020, 11:53:15 pm »

Also bear in mind, they are center-tapped earth on the secondary, so do not try to bond earth to neutral...[/b]

I would NEVER do that, except in ONE place. If, and only IF, you get your feeder from the utility company as a 3 phases plus PEN, which I do, there is a point in the fuse panel where Neutral busbar and Ground busbar are joined. PEN is connected adjacent to this point, and further out in the network, blue and green/yellow never mix.

Further, as a principle, I treat phase and neutral as live conductors in ANY single-phase situation. That way, I never ever have to bother with polarity.  Our plugs (we're on the same standard as Germany, i.e. Schutzkontakt CEE7/4 and europlug CEE 7/16) aren't polarized, so as soon as one's used an extension cord or a multiple outlet, polarity is stochastic.

Bonding the center-tap on the transformer secondary is both possible and (looking at security) desirable. Also serves to teach the poor uneducated about both poles of a mains flex best being regarded as dangerous.

Heheh, wasn't my intention to patronise... but I have seen some scary things that non-sparkies have done...

The IET 18th edition (what you have to know to be a sparky in the UK) incorporates some things that were revisions in the 17th edition, one of those is to define both line and neutral as live conductors (confusing some as live is now line, and neutral is now live...
   :palm:  ) which is just another way to justify their existence imo (and the opinion of others), to whit; changing the nomenclature on a regular basis in order to force tradespersons to re-up and fork out more cash in order to stay certified.
Nevertheless, I agree in principal with treating neutral as dangerous, since in many situations it can be, not even necessarily a fault condition.
One of our senior (and now retired) electricians used to short neutral and earth in order to find what circuit a socket was on (he did at least make sure the sockets were on rcd/rcbo/gfci), and used to say regarding neutral in (large) 3-phase boards, "if you are fast, touching neutral doesn't hurt".

Fun times.

Side note: My Easter Weekend overtime is cancelled; the mains change at City Hall is postponed until next year, for obvious reasons...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #54328 on: April 01, 2020, 11:56:07 pm »
OMG ..... Looks like Med has inspired Daniel...

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/can-your-scope-do-this/

:palm:

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54329 on: April 02, 2020, 12:12:45 am »
Could not resist, I found another of those really nice Power Designs power supply on ebay at a really reasonable price. This time it's model 2010 0-20v 1A.

One day I'll get one of these beauties. One day ...  8)  :D

I've not even seen one offered! That 'One day ...' might be a long time off. And then we might be fighting over it. :box: :D

With teeth, claws and Handflammpatronen!!!

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54330 on: April 02, 2020, 12:34:53 am »
well, since the pain is sitting mostly in my forehead I suspect a true Sinusitis which basically has gone downstairs and caused the usual inflammation, i.e. bronchitis. I'll get my inhaler tomorrow, the fever indicator is showing 37.04 (measured in the arm pit), my normal measurement would be 35.4

I suspect a flu or common cold, but should know better tomorrow.

As for the lens, when it hugged the ground the front element separated from the housing and rolled along the floor of the aviation museum of the pacific.
I suspect cleaning the sensors will not do the trick in this case ...
Seriously!

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #54331 on: April 02, 2020, 12:39:45 am »

Okay... dumb question, for anyone who knows about 3DP. Which of these fittings for the Bowden tube are supposed to be "the good ones" and which the "crap ones" ? They ALL look like cheap China-direct pneumatic fittings to me... :-//

mnem
 :o
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54332 on: April 02, 2020, 12:43:31 am »
4503 update, dead battery clipped out to prevent further leakage through heat from desoldering, PCB thoroughly scrubbed with IPA, both sides and any corrosion on leads etc removed. Replacement battery ordered, stickers removed from case and the case cleaned, tilting bail removed before cleaning. Once battery arrives and its been reassembled, I'll some internal photos tear down photos for the record and post and hopefully it will then just need some slight calibration, last calibration was 3/11/2005. Before and after case photos below.

Before

After
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #54333 on: April 02, 2020, 12:53:50 am »

Okay... dumb question, for anyone who knows about 3DP. Which of these fittings for the Bowden tube are supposed to be "the good ones" and which the "crap ones" ? They ALL look like cheap China-direct pneumatic fittings to me... :-//

mnem

Look inside the barrel is the first place to go. The bad ones lack grip points which is why they start to allow the tube to move in and out over time under extrusion pressure. The early Ender ones were only two points from memory. Other than that assuming you got fittings with your new Capricorn then trust them in particular if they were in a Capricorn Baggy.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54334 on: April 02, 2020, 03:21:42 am »

mnem

Look inside the barrel is the first place to go. The bad ones lack grip points which is why they start to allow the tube to move in and out over time under extrusion pressure. The early Ender ones were only two points from memory. Other than that assuming you got fittings with your new Capricorn then trust them in particular if they were in a Capricorn Baggy.

You mean the number of fingers in the grip ring? I'll look into that. Thanks.  :-+

I would've gotten the full Cap kit with fittings if they had it; only had the tubing in the Cap baggie. Pretty sure it's real Cap XS tubing; you can feel the slickery on the outside and the ID is 1.9mm as opposed to 2.05ish for that in the CReality kit. Difference is very visible too.

mnem
 :-\
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 03:24:57 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #54335 on: April 02, 2020, 03:28:57 am »

Huh? I fail to see how I am responsible or inspired that tomfoolery.  :-// :-// :-// ^-^
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #54336 on: April 02, 2020, 03:49:33 am »

Huh? I fail to see how I am responsible or inspired that tomfoolery.  :-// :-// :-// ^-^

You aren't, unless he does a follow-on video where he paints the enclosure blue...   :P

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #54337 on: April 02, 2020, 04:03:55 am »

Agreed, nutthing to do with Med.  :phew:

Tomfoolery yes or more like diversionary tactics away from all the low series KS DSO's can't do Statistics.  ::)
Really  ::) what would be of more use on/in a DSO ?  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #54338 on: April 02, 2020, 04:09:09 am »
I was tempted to include the clearly superior custom Siglent ones
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: tautech, mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54339 on: April 02, 2020, 04:23:43 am »
Fuck you, bean.  :-DD

mnem
We all thought it; I just said it. >:D

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #54340 on: April 02, 2020, 04:25:50 am »
Fuck you, bean.  :-DD

mnem
We all thought it; I just said it. >:D
He's as sharp as a tack that Bean !  ;D
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #54341 on: April 02, 2020, 04:52:43 am »
Finally worked out how to upload re-sized photos after a phone software 'upgrade '. D'oh.
Digital height guage - bit rough, but ok reviews.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #54342 on: April 02, 2020, 07:19:41 am »

Yesterday: April fool's day.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54343 on: April 02, 2020, 07:20:45 am »
   Having ignored they "nay-sayers" and the why-bother gang, I went ahead and finished my 3D printed attachment for my DER EE DE5000 LCR meter. I can now connect my BNC Kelvin tweezers and probes to the meter.

McBryce.

:P PPPPPPPTTTTTPPPPBBBBB!

That said... how did adding all that coax & connectors affect your accuracy & ability to zero out the poor fucker...? Net gain, or just more assache...?

In all honesty... I didn't mean to sound so negative; it just seemed a lot of work to try & achieve Lab-grade measurement process from a device which was designed primarily to be quick & versatile in connectivity yet reasonably accurate for diag work. Kind of the antithesis of what the DE-5000 is all about. :-//

mnem
*currently hating the "oh, so close..." aspect of Murphy's Law*

I haven't wired it up yet. The PCB in the picture is still the 1.6mm version which doesn't fit into the meters slots. The 1mm PCB has arrived, but I haven't had a chance to cut and fit it yet. It shouldn't be an issue to zero it out. If it's properly shielded and the internal connections kept to a minimum length and seperated it should have results equal or better than the standard crocodile clip version.

McBryce.

You & I both know that "shouldn't be" & "should have" are BOTH Murphy's pups. I can see just the capacitance of all that extra coax fscking with your head bigtime. Good luck, my friend. ;)

mnem
The Devil, she never sleeps.

Yes, but we won't be able to answer that question until I actually build and test one.

And to answer your 3D question above. I've had best results with the brass coloured fitting on the far right of your pictures.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #54344 on: April 02, 2020, 07:22:05 am »
Could not resist, I found another of those really nice Power Designs power supply on ebay at a really reasonable price. This time it's model 2010 0-20v 1A.

One day I'll get one of these beauties. One day ...  8)  :D

I've not even seen one offered! That 'One day ...' might be a long time off. And then we might be fighting over it. :box: :D

With teeth, claws and Handflammpatronen!!!

Mit Geduld, List und Tücke, fängt man eine Mücke.  :box:   :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #54345 on: April 02, 2020, 08:40:49 am »

Yesterday: April fool's day.

That's right, it was. But given the current state of world affairs I think we can be forgiven that it wasn't important or wasn't even on the bottom of the "don't care" list.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54346 on: April 02, 2020, 09:17:20 am »
I switched over to CNN yesterday and was amazed that they were running and obvious April fools prank despite the crisis, then I realised it was just Trump giving a speech on how he evaluates the current situation :D

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #54347 on: April 02, 2020, 09:19:20 am »
Am I the only one who got flashbacks of a certain fan mod?

The following users thanked this post: PA0PBZ, mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54348 on: April 02, 2020, 09:24:45 am »
Cheers Ice-Tea, you pre-empted me stubbing my right foot into a wooden storage chest that we have in our hallway in the early hours of the morning while attempting to catch a very naughty cat who didn't want to go to bed last night. It almost brought tears to my eyes. Had no sleep all night as it kept giving my shooting pains like someone was poking red-hot needles into my toes. Got up worked my way downstairs and took some painkillers and then sat up all night with the pain. Still doing this morning, no sign of an bruising or other damage just these regular shooting pains  |O
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54349 on: April 02, 2020, 09:27:39 am »
Am I the only one who got flashbacks of a certain fan mod?
Nope, but that was not an addition to a scope, but an attempt at replacing what was thought to be an unobtainable fan
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf