Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14781031 times)

zepto, K0ELB and 198 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #55225 on: April 10, 2020, 11:35:11 am »
Having not heard any news after submitting a couple of reports about errors saving changes to the TEA thread's OP, I didn't some debugging on my own and discovered that the post reaches its size limit in 51 more characters. :o
ez24 ran into the same OP size issues here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/dd/
Wisely he started another thread and reserved the first 3 posts so to allow room for growth.
Maybe you can link to a later reply of yours and place additional info there.....oh hang on, you already have the 2nd post to grow into.  :clap:

Yep, have a little room to grow. Never ran into the post length limit before.
Yep but that's not to say one of the mods can't help, I dunno.
Wonder if it's possible to insert another blank post for you or might that break the forum linking ?  :-//
I was working with ez24 when that problem came up.

Originally, the post limit was 20kB, but Dave upped it to 50kB for the resources thread.  Then, as the content grew beyond that, I made the suggestion he start a new thread and reserve the first few posts for future expansion.  The spreadsheet I put together to help organise the data and generate the code was changed to break up the output so it could be pasted across 3 tables.

In that case, the new thread made sense as the only thing that was "lost" were the posts that provided the input up until that point.  Those posts are still available in the original thread, archived as it were.

However, such an approach would not work too well for this thread as value content lies all through it.

Adding a new post at the beginning would, in theory, be possible - BUT the potential for stuffing things up would be extremely high, unless you had someone with intimate knowledge of the database architecture.  This is not something I would advocate.

My suggestion would be:
 1. to continue with the second post while there is room and
 2. consider breaking out any of the material that has the potential to demand more and more bytes into a separate thread, where the first 10 or 20 posts have been reserved for expansion.  Of course, any such material would have high visibility, descriptive links in the current locations so people could jump there within minimum effort.

I have a question about this:
Why is it possible for everyone to delete one of its own messages in the middle of a thread, but the reverse is hard to do?

I mean, if someone is deleting one of his messages, the message count decreases. I saw that happen here in the TEA thread
one or two times. But this means also, that every single message should have an individual message ID which is independent from the order. And even the number of the message which can be seen in the URL of a message is just a number.

What I'm trying to say: Why shouldn't it be possible to add a new message regularly to the TEA thread as a placeholder and the admins just change the place in the chain of the messages in the thread? With this, you can make sure, that the message number (URL) is uniqe, a unique message ID has been created anyway (which is internal and unseen) and I think, nobody is really caring if the order of the messages at the beginning of the thread goes like 1 - 55230 - 55231 - 55232 - 2 - 3 - ....

Perhaps I'm looking at this in a naive way, but I would really appreciate an explanation.

Thanks.

:)

Edit:
Btw, you can see this anyway best in the LTZ1000 thread. A user, DiligentMinds, has deleted a lot of his messages once before he left the eevblog forum. When you are now clicking on the quoting link in a posting, it can happen. that you'll get another posting and find the original quoted posting some postings above.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 11:39:22 am by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #55226 on: April 10, 2020, 11:35:34 am »
Going to brave Aldi at opening time tomorrow $200 AU peso ($120 USD) small clothes Dryers. Worried about getting trampled by the wrinklies   :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55227 on: April 10, 2020, 11:37:34 am »
Having not heard any news after submitting a couple of reports about errors saving changes to the TEA thread's OP, I didn't some debugging on my own and discovered that the post reaches its size limit in 51 more characters. :o
ez24 ran into the same OP size issues here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/dd/
Wisely he started another thread and reserved the first 3 posts so to allow room for growth.
Maybe you can link to a later reply of yours and place additional info there.....oh hang on, you already have the 2nd post to grow into.  :clap:

Yep, have a little room to grow. Never ran into the post length limit before.
Yep but that's not to say one of the mods can't help, I dunno.
Wonder if it's possible to insert another blank post for you or might that break the forum linking ?  :-//
I was working with ez24 when that problem came up.

Originally, the post limit was 20kB, but Dave upped it to 50kB for the resources thread.  Then, as the content grew beyond that, I made the suggestion he start a new thread and reserve the first few posts for future expansion.  The spreadsheet I put together to help organise the data and generate the code was changed to break up the output so it could be pasted across 3 tables.

In that case, the new thread made sense as the only thing that was "lost" were the posts that provided the input up until that point.  Those posts are still available in the original thread, archived as it were.

However, such an approach would not work too well for this thread as value content lies all through it.

Adding a new post at the beginning would, in theory, be possible - BUT the potential for stuffing things up would be extremely high, unless you had someone with intimate knowledge of the database architecture.  This is not something I would advocate.

My suggestion would be:
 1. to continue with the second post while there is room and
 2. consider breaking out any of the material that has the potential to demand more and more bytes into a separate thread, where the first 10 or 20 posts have been reserved for expansion.  Of course, any such material would have high visibility, descriptive links in the current locations so people could jump there within minimum effort.

I have a question about this:
Why is it possible for everyone to delete one of its own messages in the middle of a thread, but the reverse is hard to do?

I mean, if someone is deleting one of his messages, the message count decreases. I saw that happen here in the TEA thread
one or two times. But this means also, that every single message should have an individual message ID which is independent from the order. And even the number of the message which can be seen in the URL of a message is just a number.

What I'm trying to say: Why shouldn't it be possible to add a new message regularly to the TEA thread as a placeholder and the admins just change the place in the chain of the messages in the thread? With this, you can make sure, that the message number (URL) is uniqe, a unique message ID has been created anyway (which is internal and unseen) and I think, nobody is really caring if the order of the messages at the beginning of the thread goes like 1 - 55230 - 55231 - 55232 - 2 - 3 - ....

Perhaps I'm looking at this in a naive way, but I would really appreciate an explanation.

Thanks.

:)

I dropped a reply earlier but is is the issue of how the database is set up. Base thread followed by a sequential list of posts. You would need to change every post count after it and risk breaking the thread if it wen wrong.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #55228 on: April 10, 2020, 11:38:09 am »
Queueing for supermarket here again today. The locusts have eaten all the good stuff again  :-DD

Try the local small delicatessen-like stores. The Polish ones around here are good. The "famous" Indian one is also good, but the aisles are cozy at the best of times :(
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #55229 on: April 10, 2020, 11:47:29 am »
I dropped a reply earlier but is is the issue of how the database is set up. Base thread followed by a sequential list of posts. You would need to change every post count after it and risk breaking the thread if it wen wrong.

But this is happening anyway when you are deleting a post. The post-count is changing. I saw this mhappen here (not sure, when exactly) around posting number 50000 or so.
Example:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg1375035/#msg1375035
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #55230 on: April 10, 2020, 11:54:51 am »
I think VK5RC's idea of finding the owner of the next post and expanding there is a good stopgap. Pretty sure the admins could change ownership of an individual post without breaking things.

Queueing for supermarket here again today. The locusts have eaten all the good stuff again  :-DD
My local grocery store is limiting occupancy to 140 customers maximum at a time. But I don't know if that's causing a queue outside the store since I go during the old farts hour from 6 AM to 7 AM.  ;D

I got my sorry dwagon arse up at the butt-crack of dawn to try and get into Wally World early; after the morning S,S&S I hopped on the PC to see if they were open yet. Not till 11am; they're opening late for Good Friday.  :palm:

mnem
I am that well-known mythical reptile: The Myassis Dragon.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 11:58:07 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55231 on: April 10, 2020, 11:55:46 am »
The posts actually are not generally deleted they finish up in a backroom Recycling bin for want of a better analogy. They can in theory be restored by a Mod or Owner with appropriate permissions and will slot back in where they were.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55232 on: April 10, 2020, 12:04:26 pm »

Try the local small delicatessen-like stores. The Polish ones around here are good. The "famous" Indian one is also good, but the aisles are cozy at the best of times :(

I was actually referring to the kids  :-DD. Tesco done. All good. Only thing missing was some bake at home (and thus untouched) baguettes to go with the camembert I bought. Off to waitrose now to buy that and then screwfix for some methylated spirits for my trangia ...

My local grocery store is limiting occupancy to 140 customers maximum at a time. But I don't know if that's causing a queue outside the store since I go during the old farts hour from 6 AM to 7 AM.  ;D

They're doing the same thing here now. I'm preferring it if I'm honest. The queue has people too far apart to end up having any social interaction and it's pretty quiet inside. Can't really complain.

I actually spent the entire time in the queue talking my mother through setting up a Gmail account so she can get rid of her BT email address finally and stop being screwed for her ADSL every month.

We seem to have more time as a species at the moment. I hope we learn from this event rather than return to former times of persistent chaos.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #55233 on: April 10, 2020, 12:17:56 pm »
I think VK5RC's idea of finding the owner of the next post and expanding there is a good stopgap. Pretty sure the admins could change ownership of an individual post without breaking things.

I got my sorry dwagon arse up at the butt-crack of dawn to try and get into Wally World early; after the morning S,S&S I hopped on the PC to see if they were open yet. Not till 11am; they're opening late for Good Friday.  :palm:

mnem
I am that well-known mythical reptile: The Myassis Dragon.

My local grocery has decided to close completely on Easter Sunday to give their employees a well deserved break. Normally they would be open. The only day they close completely is Christmas Day.

You're in Quebec Province, right? If yes, that explains the late opening. French Catholic influence.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 12:21:08 pm by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55234 on: April 10, 2020, 12:25:59 pm »
Nope... Ontario. Please don't lump us all in with those Montreal-icans, ehh?  :-DD

Agreed, it could be worse... I could have to brave Wally World on a holiday SATURDAY...
  :scared:

mnem

alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #55235 on: April 10, 2020, 12:30:14 pm »
Going to Wally World even in the best of times is utter chaos. I avoid it at all costs. If I REALLY needed to go there it would be sometime between 2AM and 4AM when the weirdos were home and still drunk.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55236 on: April 10, 2020, 12:38:06 pm »
Went shopping this morning, arrived at Tesco's just on 8  o clock as they opened the doors, the queue was already snaked up and down the parking lanes 4 times and around the outside edge of the car perimeter, store side and then store front. I thought F that and drove down the road to Lidl where there was about 30 people in the queue, but even then it took almost an hour before I was allowed in the store. Once inside though it was almost back to normal with most stuff on the shelf in reasonable volumes. The shopping trip, to just 2 shops, next to each other, Lidls and FarmFoods, took almost 2 and a half hours  :wtf::palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #55237 on: April 10, 2020, 12:58:29 pm »

A friend of mine (nickname Cymru) sent me this:

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55238 on: April 10, 2020, 01:02:52 pm »
UNKA PHILIP!!! You're STILL ALIVE!!!

mnem
*Thanks Ifni for favors both small and large* :-DD

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, BU508A, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55239 on: April 10, 2020, 01:15:18 pm »
UNKA PHILIP!!! You're STILL ALIVE!!!

mnem
*Thanks Ifni for favors both small and large* :-DD

LMAO at this  :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55240 on: April 10, 2020, 01:17:35 pm »
... Worried about getting trampled by the wrinklies   :-DD ...
I resemble that remark! Beware, what we lack in youth we make up for in subterfuge.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, beanflying

Offline grizewald

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #55241 on: April 10, 2020, 01:33:10 pm »
Also, I don't think there is a need to tell you about the addictive potential of Oxy.

Absolutely none!

During my cancer treatment, I was taking a combination of time release and instant release oxycodone adding up to around 80mg (sometimes more) per day for around four months. Interestingly, the doctors gave me no advice on how to get off that kind of dose without turning myself into a gibbering wreck.

Fortunately I'm well read regarding drugs in general and had already devised a sensible plan to gradually step down the dosage as the need for them decreased. I've never used opiates recreationally as I've never seen the point of becoming an opioid zombie, but I'm well aware of their fearsome addiction potential and have seen some friends and one young extended family member fall into the heroin trap and the devastating results that follow.

I have to say I was very surprised that the doctors never even mentioned the problems which could occur after long term use of oxycodone for pain management and how to approach getting off them. In the end it was no problem for me and my self constructed plan to exit the pain management with the minimum of discomfort worked just fine.

Now on day 4 of whatever this is: I still have a low grade fever, the body ache is gone, I have no respiratory symptoms apart from a bit of a runny nose, and I have a low grade headache. Once every 12 hours, I take a 10mg time release oxycodone and 400mg ibuprofen. I tried skipping the oxycodone out of interest yesterday and instead of a low grade headache, it turns into a nightmare 'ice-pick' headache with a stabbing pain lasting just a second every 30 - 60 seconds or so distributed randomly on either side of the head.

I'm glad to see that I still have a fever as it means my body is still recognising an intruder and trying to fight it. I feel slightly better than I did two days ago which is also positive. So I'll stick with my treatment plan for the moment and keep an eye on temperature, blood pressure, heart rate etc.

Hoping to win an interesting auction over the weekend, but I'm keeping my mouth firmly shut about it until it is over!
  Lord of Sealand

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #55242 on: April 10, 2020, 01:42:27 pm »
Some days ago, the USB charger in my plug board (Brennenstuhl PAL U 06 DE) gave up. I've connected my Pihole to it and was wondering, why the internet connection is broken.  ::)

So, today I've openend it to find out, what's wrong with it and if it can be repaired.
Since this is a teardown of something TEA related, I thought, I could take some pictures of it and post them here.

Hope, you'll find this kind of interesting. I've added also the datasheets of the power MOSFET (SV4N65MJ) and of the controller chip, which is an IW1691-03.

This is the plug board:

This is the USB charger, 2100mA @ 5V:

Here we have the type plate:

Top view of the charger:

Bottom view with the controller:

Checking the power MOSFET, looking good:

I suspect,  that the controller IC is dead. I poked around a little, measuring all the voltages (looking okay) and measured the values of some of the parts (were okay, too). I've ordered some replacements in China, so, it'll take a while until I'll get them.

Thank you for watching.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 01:45:18 pm by BU508A »

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #55243 on: April 10, 2020, 02:04:51 pm »
I resemble that remark! Beware, what we lack in youth we make up for in subterfuge.  ;D

Old age and treachery will always beat youth and speed.  >:D :-+ :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55244 on: April 10, 2020, 02:09:52 pm »

I've whiled away my breakfast-time this AM noodling around this fellow's yoobToob: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMuCEiwVy_jvFmboAEYGwjg

His hobby is creating animation to go along with the original BBC Radio show of HHGttG; rather good actually and very faithful to Adams' written works. Unfortunately, the Beeb has been forcing places like YT to take down his works and Ep 1 Pt 1 is no longer up. However you CAN, if you care to, find most of it on his channel in bits & bobs.

Somehow, this fellow's whole debacle of "Fair Use" vs the interests of the corporate megalopoly etc. feels very Adams-esque in its own right...

mnem
*off to brave the wilds of Wally Wurlld*
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 02:12:39 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55245 on: April 10, 2020, 02:16:38 pm »

During the height of Peak TP shortage the Wrinklies nearly out paced me the the isle at opening time. Dire need gave them wings  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #55246 on: April 10, 2020, 02:32:12 pm »
Today's humor (humour).....

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, Specmaster, bd139

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #55247 on: April 10, 2020, 02:45:52 pm »
thought of some social warrior stuff which I will submit to our company as an idea for their making more health initiative.

take a COTS aluminium box.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/ALUBOX-B-184-Liter-Alukiste-Werkzeugkiste-Vollaluminium/372879388124?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

take a finished starter/socket for a UV-C lamp
https://www.ebay.de/itm/VOSSLOH-SCHWABE-Vorschaltger%C3%A4t-f%C3%BCr-PL-S-Dulux-S-Ralux-S-5W-7W-9W-11W-m-Fassung/143557445482?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

and the UV-C lamp
https://www.osram.de/ecat/PURITEC%20HNS%20UV-C-UV-C%20lamps%20for%20purification-Ultraviolettstrahler-Industrie-Spezialbeleuchtung/de/de/GPS01_1028570/PP_EUROPE_DE_eCat/ZMP_60796/

which will give me 3W of UV-C at a distance of 1m from the center of the lamp

Utilize UV resistant bonding tape (3M VHB) to attach this to the lid of the box and
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Montageband-Allzeckband-Universalklebeband-3M-VHB-Klebeband-4611F-19-mm-x-3-m/223575290338?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Cabling is not too expensive.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Anschlussleitung-Zuleitung-mit-Zwischenschalter-Stecker-Netzkabel-Stromkabel/352890295170?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=622145810635&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

An inverter running off a lead-acid battery can easily be added. You can also put in a standard grill shelf rack https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BBQ-Adjustable-Grill-Shelf-Rack-Extendable-Screw-Fix-Arms-Barbecue-Grid/191404896648?hash=item2c909ef188:g:5TUAAOSwabhUXMjN

to lift the stuff to be irradiated and make sure the UV gets to it from all sides.

To make sure the dosage is sufficient, irradiation time should be no less than 10 minutes, preferable twice the amount.

It would be possible to swap out the lamp for a higher dosage lamp, but those would draw more power.

What do you think ?

Did I overlook something critical ?

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #55248 on: April 10, 2020, 02:46:25 pm »

... which often includes knowing when to keep your trap shut.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #55249 on: April 10, 2020, 02:58:33 pm »

... which often includes knowing when to keep your trap shut.

Of course. Treachery involves silence and stealth.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf