Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14547567 times)

Vgkid, wkb, Damperhead and 12 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #55625 on: April 13, 2020, 01:46:07 pm »
To be fair I have an EE degree but most of what I know is self-taught. University was honestly a waste of time. I could have avoided the cost and jumped into the IT sector and no one would be any wiser  :-DD

I had I think a thinkpad with parallel port years ago. Can't remember which model. It was an ultrabay addition. I rarely used it as there was a battery rammed in it most of the time.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55626 on: April 13, 2020, 01:47:40 pm »
Read into this muppet. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Robinson_(activist)

Until a motive is established keep an open mind.
There are a load of weird people all around us, look at the UK's history over the last 5 years, and even now some people still cannot see how we should be working and cooperating together with other EU countries even down to not accepting their help with Covid-19 FFS  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #55627 on: April 13, 2020, 01:52:12 pm »
if you are open for anything, you have a major leak.

Sorry, my feeble attempt at translating this, hope I preserved the gist ...

I like this version:

"Be careful not to be so open-minded that the contents fall out!"

Actually, I think that IS the more appropriate translation.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55628 on: April 13, 2020, 01:54:43 pm »
To be fair I have an EE degree but most of what I know is self-taught. University was honestly a waste of time. I could have avoided the cost and jumped into the IT sector and no one would be any wiser  :-DD

I had I think a thinkpad with parallel port years ago. Can't remember which model. It was an ultrabay addition. I rarely used it as there was a battery rammed in it most of the time.
The world is full of people who have university degrees, and most of them end up doing mundane jobs, I think in reality it is very hard to beat decent on the job learning backed up with day release college courses, that way when you get your passes and certificates , you actually know a hell of lot more than just the theory, also know how to put that theory into practise.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55629 on: April 13, 2020, 01:57:40 pm »
if you are open for anything, you have a major leak.

Sorry, my feeble attempt at translating this, hope I preserved the gist ...

I like this version:

"Be careful not to be so open-minded that the contents fall out!"

I don't agree, because if it was the more appropriate translation, then it would be a relatively easy task to shake those stupid notions out of their heads, but in reality it dosen't seem to be does it?
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55630 on: April 13, 2020, 02:02:01 pm »
Going back to the saying earlier, or translation anyway, I tend to like to evaluate most possibilities. It's fun finding the stupid ones and gives you great insight into the human condition and people's line of thought. Don't forget that their failures are lessons you can learn from too  :-DD

The world is full of people who have university degrees, and most of them end up doing mundane jobs, I think in reality it is very hard to beat decent on the job learning backed up with day release college courses, that way when you get your passes and certificates , you actually know a hell of lot more than just the theory, also know how to put that theory into practise.

Indeed. I'm recruiting at the moment and I can't find anyone who knows what they are doing qualified in any way or another. So I have to look for people who have the initiative to get from zero to knowledgeable on their own or with assistance. The best guy we have is an actuary strangely enough.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #55631 on: April 13, 2020, 02:11:53 pm »

Set up the Technics SL-Q3, since I am outta space it's improvise adapt overcome again, this time with IKEA.

Oh, it's post-pictures-of-your-record-player day?

It's an ex-radio station SL-1000 with integrated RIAA amplifier. Cabling to matrix is originally via a DIN 41622 Messerleiste, and of course I had to follow suit, so there's a box for that on the wall.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #55632 on: April 13, 2020, 02:15:46 pm »
See now you could buy an old thinkpad to run XP  :popcorn:

Boooooooored. Have tidied everything up, done the shopping and done all the housework. ebay is dead. Everything in the house works. My todo list is empty and I can't be arsed to start any new projects at the moment :(

then you need one of these: 

968900-0

which you can find here:  eBay auction: #373018371799

you can thank me later.  ;D
specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #55633 on: April 13, 2020, 02:16:41 pm »
No wonder we have muppets running around destroying 5G towers, someone should section this idiot quickly, lock him up and then throw away the key, he is clearly a dangerous person to have running around stirring up conspiracy theories and fake information like this.  :palm:

Done my bit      Also reported it under "domestic terrorism"   I've attacked a few other responses as well.

Also reported. I don't expect either of our posts to last the day; but hopefully we'll get this fuckwit banned long enough to have to generate a new account. :palm:

if you are open for anything, you have a major leak.   Sorry, my feeble attempt at translating this, hope I preserved the gist ...
I like this version:   "Be careful not to be so open-minded that the contents fall out!"
I don't agree, because if it was the more appropriate translation, then it would be a relatively easy task to shake those stupid notions out of their heads, but in reality it dosen't seem to be does it?

I think the English equivalent would be this old adage my mother used to repeat quite often:

"Keep a sufficiently open mind, and people will throw all manner of crap into it."

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55634 on: April 13, 2020, 02:17:16 pm »

Boooooooored. Have tidied everything up, done the shopping and done all the housework. ebay is dead. Everything in the house works. My todo list is empty and I can't be arsed to start any new projects at the moment :(

(Attachment Link)

Hahaha I have actually been looking at radios today  :-DD

Alas it won't be an S38 here as we're all 50Hz and 240V so requires step down transformer and some luck, none of which I have  :-DD

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #55635 on: April 13, 2020, 02:21:24 pm »

It depends on what the job entails. Your suggestion is appropriate for people slotting into working with existing products/technologies/application domains. It is unlikely to be very successful if one or more of those are novel, or just new to a company.

In the fun interesting places that I have worked, this has always been what interviewers (I've been on both sides of the table) have been looking for...

Indeed. I'm recruiting at the moment and I can't find anyone who knows what they are doing qualified in any way or another. So I have to look for people who have the initiative to get from zero to knowledgeable on their own or with assistance.

Such bootstrapping usually requires a sufficient knowledge of the fundamental theory, so that it can be applied to new circumstances.

Such employees tend to be good long-term employees since they will adjust to the changing requirements over the years. After all, the half-life of specific "which button do I press" knowledge is a couple of years.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55636 on: April 13, 2020, 02:24:58 pm »
Indeed. I'm recruiting at the moment and I can't find anyone who knows what they are doing qualified in any way or another. So I have to look for people who have the initiative to get from zero to knowledgeable on their own or with assistance.

Such bootstrapping usually requires a sufficient knowledge of the fundamental theory, so that it can be applied to new circumstances.

Such employees tend to be good long-term employees since they will adjust to the changing requirements over the years. After all, the half-life of specific "which button do I press" knowledge is a couple of years.

Yes that's true on both counts. However they don't teach the fundamental theory of what we do at universities. Instead we need broken people with battle scars. Need more Harry Tuttles to keep a 14th century church from collapsing :)

Just found this picture which covers wingnuttery and how far it goes. This is the Russian orthodox church blessing a computer system to protect against WannaCry  :palm:

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #55637 on: April 13, 2020, 02:38:36 pm »
Batten down the hatches.  :o We are having a rain storm today with high winds. A few minutes ago there was one hell of gust and within 2 minutes two calls in town for multiple trees down. And my power flashed for a second but stayed on....so far.  :scared:

Later today supposed to up the ante with thunderstorms. Luckily we are NOT in what's considered an area prone to tornadoes but every once in a while one does come through.

Update....now a 3rd call for a tree down across a road. Gonna be an interesting afternoon.  :palm:   
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55638 on: April 13, 2020, 02:41:01 pm »
Hopefully the trees will land on your local idiots  :-DD

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #55639 on: April 13, 2020, 02:44:11 pm »

(Attachment Link)

Hahaha I have actually been looking at radios today  :-DD

Alas it won't be an S38 here as we're all 50Hz and 240V so requires step down transformer and some luck, none of which I have  :-DD

Those are just the things that make it an interesting project.   >:D
specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55640 on: April 13, 2020, 02:44:33 pm »
Well I've got his home address already from a grey hat source. I'm not going to post it on here but will refer it to Ofcom and the police.

This is actually a criminal act (ofcom are already jumping on people) and he should be prosecuted for it. I suspect that they're building case evidence against him at the moment anyway. I'm sure a few YT syndication links will help that case.
Sit outside his house in a porcupine car. That will make him absolutely ape shit.  :-DD

That was menu item #2 from my once-upon-a-time dream business: vengeanceismine.com *

2. Hire deliberately nondescript man in suit and bowler hat to follow subject around public places with a clipboard, randomly taking gibberish notes which are "accidentally" left for him to find after he has noticed "the observating man".   

*These were simpler times; long before we as a breed had swallowed the "war on terror" lie hook, line & sinker. :palm:

mnem
 >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #55641 on: April 13, 2020, 02:45:45 pm »
Just found this picture which covers wingnuttery and how far it goes. This is the Russian orthodox church blessing a computer system to protect against WannaCry  :palm:

Put that guy to work on COVID-19!  :-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #55642 on: April 13, 2020, 02:45:51 pm »
I'm not aware of any dangerous idiots like the individual we've been discussing. But there are individuals wandering the streets down there who are completely harmless because while the lights are on but there's nobody home.  :P :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #55643 on: April 13, 2020, 03:05:26 pm »
If you wanna hear the weather forecast for me log onto Discord right now. I've got the National Weather Service on.

Edit...off now.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 03:34:12 pm by med6753 »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55644 on: April 13, 2020, 03:38:39 pm »

med's forecast for those who missed it.

mnem
 >:D
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 03:42:53 pm by mnementh »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #55645 on: April 13, 2020, 03:43:17 pm »
Meh....more like this.... >:D

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, 6h8c

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #55646 on: April 13, 2020, 03:45:21 pm »
I'm not aware of any dangerous idiots like the individual we've been discussing. But there are individuals wandering the streets down there who are completely harmless because while the lights are on but there's nobody home.  :P :-DD

I first had my eyes opened at university. One of my landladies had a husband that was the skipper of a boat that went to sea every day (to dump sewage!). Even with that nautical/aquatic connection, she seriously believed that fish came up to the surface to breath.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55647 on: April 13, 2020, 03:45:32 pm »
@med: Yeah, that's the great thing about CNY weather this time of year; if you don't like it, just wait 5 minutes.  :-DD

mnem
 :popcorn:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55648 on: April 13, 2020, 05:00:41 pm »
I think its more of a case that you havent been looking hard enough :-DD They are literally everywhere, hell you even have one in charge over there, compared to him, our Boris looks almost bleeding normal :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #55649 on: April 13, 2020, 05:05:08 pm »
compared to him, our Boris looks almost bleeding normal :-DD :-DD :-DD

Indeed. Mr Johnson ticks a lot of wrong boxes on opinions and standpoints, but the man probably can read an entire book, and can probably keep a line of thought (that is not about himself and his ego) through several minutes. Both of which would put him well
above some other people in power.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf