Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14820517 times)

Eric-H, Robert763, Vince and 240 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #55675 on: April 13, 2020, 09:12:07 pm »
...I'd also ask questions to see their general theoretical knowledge, and push them to see how they think, and expect them to say "I don't know but here's how I would find out". Ditto practical experience.

Interestingly, that "I don't know for sure, but let's find out!" attitude when asked a question is one of the key factors that separates a great teacher from the run-of-the-gristmill "rote cadavers"...

mnem
Don't think outside the box. Fuxxor the box; set it on fire and actually THINK.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55676 on: April 13, 2020, 09:13:36 pm »
True about HR droids.

We usually just toss them on a hosed windows 10 box that barely works, "so you're a python guy yeah? well i want you to solve this problem using Haskell. You have 3 hours". Then sit back and observe what happens.

30% of people refuse and get all pissy. 50% of people fail at the first hurdle. 20% of people piss themselves with excitement. It's the 20% we need even if they don't completely succeed.

Edit: most successful guy actually wrote a decision tree down as he was doing stuff and walked it on paper while he was navigating the maze of problems. Unfortunately Google snapped him up before we did  >:(
Perhaps you ought seek out this Indian guy called Steve Wilson  :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55677 on: April 13, 2020, 09:14:48 pm »
Ahh I've seen that. Hilarious  :-DD

So bored :(

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55678 on: April 13, 2020, 09:18:01 pm »
He's at it again, todays blog

Edit. Apparently we must also be part of the scam because we don't believe him  :palm:

« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 09:24:01 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55679 on: April 13, 2020, 09:25:46 pm »
"Don't talk out loud; you lower the IQ of the whole damned street." ~Sherlock

mnem
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, bd139

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #55680 on: April 13, 2020, 09:28:07 pm »
He's at it again, todays blog

Edit. Apparently we must also be part of the scam because we don't believe him  :palm:
Why are we sharing garbage? We can't be that bored yet.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55681 on: April 13, 2020, 09:31:38 pm »
It's what happens when you cage animals  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55682 on: April 13, 2020, 09:35:35 pm »
True about HR droids.

We usually just toss them on a hosed windows 10 box that barely works, "so you're a python guy yeah? well i want you to solve this problem using Haskell. You have 3 hours". Then sit back and observe what happens.

30% of people refuse and get all pissy. 50% of people fail at the first hurdle. 20% of people piss themselves with excitement. It's the 20% we need even if they don't completely succeed.

Edit: most successful guy actually wrote a decision tree down as he was doing stuff and walked it on paper while he was navigating the maze of problems. Unfortunately Google snapped him up before we did  >:(

mnem

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster, Mortymore, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55683 on: April 13, 2020, 09:42:48 pm »
Quote from: =bd139
True about HR droids.

We usually just toss them on a hosed windows 10 box that barely works...

Does that really work with HRDroids...?  :o Now if you were to drop a hosed Win10 box on the HR Droids... preferably from a great height...

mnem
Lets all just go install FreeBSD. >:D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55684 on: April 13, 2020, 09:43:04 pm »
Ahh I've seen that. Hilarious  :-DD

So bored :(
Hopefully my RS and Bitbox deliveries will both arrive tomorrow to give me something worth while to do  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55685 on: April 13, 2020, 09:46:42 pm »
Indeed. I am waiting on the following weird selection of items:

A kitchen spatula. A t-shirt. some lenovo trackpoint caps. some CR2032's. a phone case for my eldest. one plastic camping cup. A large box of coffee bags. a Lenovo charger. A lenovo replacement key. some bic lighters. A chinese PLC.

The CR2032's are quite frankly bloody annoying. I ordered GP brand ones off the usual crap shifter accounts. Nothing after 2 weeks. So I complained. Seller updates it with a tracking ID that doesn't work at all and isn't the correct format intentionally (I checked his feedback and this was usual practice) and asks me to close the case. So I left the fucker negative feedback!  :-DD Case still open... £2.39 so I can afford to lose it worst case.

I stopped watching the 34401A I was watching as it wasn't a particularly tidy specimen and has been bid up to £255 already.

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #55686 on: April 13, 2020, 09:59:57 pm »
@mnementh our former CIO once called the workforce renewable resources ...

I

The largest renewable resource to mankind is *stupidity*, not people. >:D

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bsudbrink

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #55687 on: April 13, 2020, 10:02:24 pm »
The most common elements of the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity.  (but not necessarily in that order)

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #55688 on: April 13, 2020, 10:11:17 pm »
Bollocks, I just shot a spring into low Earth orbit while disassembling my cheap wonky ratchet. I guess now it's really time to buy a new one.
I just won the lottery. As I was tidying up the approximate area I lost the spring I thought to look for it and there it was, right at my feet. Wonky ratchet lives another day. I didn't even lose the screws in the mean time. Though admittedly it's been more than decent for the money. The quality of cheap tools seems to have improved a lot, though that too is a bit of a lottery.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55689 on: April 13, 2020, 10:25:53 pm »
That’s a pretty good outcome. Congratulations.

I think expensive tools are a lottery too. The ratchet on my wera socket set is getting cranky and that was not cheap  :--

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55690 on: April 13, 2020, 10:26:13 pm »

A kitchen spatula. A t-shirt. some lenovo trackpoint caps. some CR2032's. a phone case for my eldest. one plastic camping cup. A large box of coffee bags. a Lenovo charger. A lenovo replacement key. some bic lighters. A chinese PLC.

The CR2032's are quite frankly bloody annoying. I ordered GP brand ones off the usual crap shifter accounts. Nothing after 2 weeks. So I complained. Seller updates it with a tracking ID that doesn't work at all and isn't the correct format intentionally (I checked his feedback and this was usual practice) and asks me to close the case. So I left the fucker negative feedback!  :-DD Case still open... £2.39 so I can afford to lose it worst case.

I stopped watching the 34401A I was watching as it wasn't a particularly tidy specimen and has been bid up to £255 already.
I usually get my batteries from this seller, pretty good response times normally just a couple of days.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-Energizer-CR2032-3V-Lithium-Coin-Cell-Battery-2032-DL2032-BR2032-SB-T15/112449626945
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55691 on: April 13, 2020, 10:30:17 pm »
Thanks for the tip off. Have ordered some  :-+

Offline Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #55692 on: April 13, 2020, 10:39:53 pm »

Those were quite helpful to someone that has started studding UML  ;)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55693 on: April 13, 2020, 11:10:43 pm »
True about HR droids.

Perhaps you ought seek out this Indian guy called Steve Wilson  :-DD :-DD :-DD

In the same line, I really like this one https://youtu.be/ZOkY6UOLax0?t=1430

The fun start at min 24  ^-^

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55694 on: April 13, 2020, 11:36:41 pm »
He has done a few of these videos but this one is the best one so far as the scammer really got sucked in.  >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55695 on: April 14, 2020, 12:58:06 am »

a plastic camping cup?  young man......you have some explaining to do.

edit bought the pack, the sierra cup, and the other cup in 1978.  still use all 3.  good god man.....picture yourself sitting by the fire sipping black label Jack from a plastic cup.....it should be against the law.

edit 2  if you look carefully at the area on the flap between the cups you see what looks like a patch.  it is a patch.  that's where a porcupine chewed in during the night to steal a bottle of syrup that my buddy frank recovered a little way up hill from our site the next morning (on the loyalsock trail. probably in about 1986)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 01:16:50 am by nixiefreqq »
free range primate

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #55696 on: April 14, 2020, 01:16:29 am »
That’s a pretty good outcome. Congratulations.

I think expensive tools are a lottery too. The ratchet on my wera socket set is getting cranky and that was not cheap  :--
Agreed, I almost added that to my post. I've been disappointed a lot lately even though I tend to go for the quality options. Shoddy quality control or flat out corner cutting is a plague. Spending the money definitely isn't any kind of guarantee.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55697 on: April 14, 2020, 01:19:09 am »
I have this Coleman insulated stainless steel mug that I've had since I can't remember when, at least 20 years, probably much longer. It's sufficiently good that I sometimes use it for drinking coffee at home when I want something that'll keep hot for a bit longer than a standard ceramic mug. Best thing about it is that it has a nice thin lip so you don't get that "drinking out of a tin mug" feeling when you're using it. Also indestructible, it's been dropped down almost as many hillsides as me.

969260-0

BTW, the fluffy red blanket is covering the black beast (aka Lab ESD testing technician) who is sleeping for the first time in about two weeks somewhere other than the Digikey box that's too small for her that an FPGA board came in.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 01:21:28 am by Cerebus »
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: nixiefreqq

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #55698 on: April 14, 2020, 01:19:30 am »

edit bought the pack, the sierra cup, and the other cup in 1978.  still use all 3.  good god man.....picture yourself sitting by the fire sipping black label Jack from a plastic cup.....it should be against the law.

edit 2  if you look carefully at the area on the flap between the cups you see what looks like a patch.  it is a patch.  that's where a porcupine chewed in during the night to steal a bottle of syrup that my buddy frank recovered a little way up hill from our site the next morning (on the loyalsock trail. probably in about 1986)
I know what you're saying. It's better than red label but that's about it.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55699 on: April 14, 2020, 01:43:06 am »

I know what you're saying. It's better than red label but that's about it.

there were usually 3 of us.  frank always carried old #7.  i usually had grandad.  the third stooge carried wild turkey.  we used to hold blind taste tests and you really could tell the difference at first.  after a while not so much.
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf