Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14549950 times)

Vince and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #55750 on: April 14, 2020, 04:34:08 pm »
 8)

969834-0
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #55751 on: April 14, 2020, 04:38:26 pm »

This is what goes with me:

The swiss army one is the "farmer alox" variety. Can opener, saw, awl, and a smaller knife. You can get through a smallish tree with that in a couple of minutes.

Big one is a Mora Companion. I've had a couple of Mora knives somewhere as well in slightly less lurid colours but they tend to get lost so I bought an orange one so I can find it :D

Yes, I really like the saw in the Victorinoxen, but my current one lacks that, so I'm also carrying a Leatherman Charge Ti. Topping it off with a Led Lenser T2 and there is so much prepper that the Baofeng becomes unecessary.  :-DD But I've got one as well, of course.

The Mora, well, I think every household in Sweden has one. I've got something like 4, both carbon and stainless. Work pants has a stainless one permanently hung on the dedicated knob. Very good for all the things you don't want to subject an expensive knife to.

I think you've got a well balanced carry there. Keep on!

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #55752 on: April 14, 2020, 04:42:28 pm »
Roughing It: PCB Butchery 101

So... you have a dead SMD power IC on a board (the death throes of this AIC2857F must've been spectacular and smoky; it burned traces off the board) with blind heat-sink bonding to a large copper fill underneath, but no hot-air rework gear handy. Don't fret; you CAN usually find another way to skin this rat.

In MOST cases, such ICs will be sinked using a pad full of vias to a large GND (or Vcc or VOUT) copper fill on the opposite side of the PCB; this is your attack vector. Scrape away the varnish on a region roughly the same size as the bonding pad on the other side.

Now apply a thin layer of solder to the sink pad, but none to the pads for the legs. You'll want to be using your largest (well, whichever tip works best at delivering heat on large fills; with my T12 station, this is the 4mm hoof-point here) chisel or angle-cut tip. Have your tub of flux handy; you're going to use it a LOT here. Remember to dip your tip in the flux EVERY TIME just before you apply heat.

Next, apply a liberal layer of flux to the pad and to the sink on the IC. Apply IC to the PCB; make sure you know which is pin 1 and have it oriented correctly. ;) As long as you're careful not to bump it too hard, the flux will hold it in place while you jockey things around for the next step.

Holding the PCB as close to level as you can but still able to see that you have the tip in the right spot, flux/tin your iron so it has a good blob of solder on the flat and apply heat to the spot you scraped on the underside of the PCB.

Here's the tricky bit: Once you have the tip applied flat to the underside of the PCB, carefully but quickly reorient so it's level and you can watch the IC on the topside WHILE KEEPING THE IRON IN PLACE DIRECTLY UNDER THE IC. The flux will begin to bubble, and the IC may move a little; DON'T PANIC! What you're watching for is for it to "level out"; at this time surface tension vs heat will USUALLY pull the IC EXACTLY where it needs to be to align the pins with their respective pads.

This is what you're waiting for; the instant you see the IC move so the pins are aligned, pull the iron away. As it cools, the IC will usually settle tight against the PCB as seen in the next photo.

If it's NOT cooperative, you can sometimes "help it". Place a large dinner plate on the bench under your work; get your one hand situated so you are holding the iron and a parts tweezer reasonably comfortably. Apply heat as above, but when the IC moves, drop the iron onto the plate and quickly bring the tweezers above to press the IC down. This technique requires a little practice to do smoothly; fortunately it isn't needed too often.

NOTE: Sorry for the crappy pic of this important step; I took like 6 shots (and cooked the IC to death trying, requiring a do-over later) and this was the best shot of the lot. VERY difficult to jockey everything and hold the camera.  |O

Next, solder the legs using your preferred tip for such work and do any necessary trace repair. Do NOT cut with the X-Acto knife; lay the knife across the very end of the repaired area and pull your repair wire pigtail up against the blade; wiggle it a time or three to separate from work. Tidy & quick.  :-+

A little scrubbage with alcohol and a toothbrush and you can see the finished work. You should thank me for that sacrifice in these alcohol-scarce times; I have no qualms about leaving rosin flux on a low-priority circuit like this.  >:D

Bottom side isn't TOO heinous; if I gave a damn, I'd probably steal wifey's clear nail polish and cover the scar but meh.

Testing at recommended 12V with CC limited to 20mA shows 5V where it should be and no shorts; bumped CC up to 500mA and I was able to test all USB ports successfully as well as the integrated LED bling lighting controller.  :-+

Winner winner chicken dinner; now my little Thrift Store laptop cooling fan unit works, and with fully adjustable speed!
:-+

mnem

« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 04:54:16 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: tautech, BU508A, bd139

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #55753 on: April 14, 2020, 04:49:37 pm »
Well, back at work today, and the "temprary structure" I was told we'd be building, is indeed what I guessed it would be; a temporary morgue. Fun times...

You'd struggle to strip armoured cable with those toy knives, this is what you need:

Two 'affordable' HP 5326B Nixie Counters/DVM's  >:D

eBay auction: #124106627248

eBay auction: #303440226670

Back to the Shovel......

I have so many freq counters already but no nixies... so so tempting.   :palm:

Come to the nixies!

.......snip

>:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

-Pat

I don't possess enough jealousy to handle this post! Please delete it!

McBryce.

Nixies are neat but if they were red LED's I'd be bankrupt.  :o :scared:

Memories  ;D

Hey med... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-3437A-System-Voltmeter/264698971453

>:D
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55754 on: April 14, 2020, 05:01:01 pm »
mnem

You bloody cheat :-DD :-DD :-DD

Damn Skippy. Life's too short, man.  :-DD

mnem
Then WTF am I doing here...?
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55755 on: April 14, 2020, 05:01:17 pm »
Yep, there are a few of those being built, I have one about 3 miles from me. They commandeered a park and ride site for it seeing as nobody is using the park and ride service currently. It is indeed grim times we live in presently.  :(
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55756 on: April 14, 2020, 05:02:23 pm »
mnem

You bloody cheat :-DD :-DD :-DD

Damn Skippy. Life's too short, man.  :-DD

mnem
Then WTF am I doing here...?
It was for him  :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55757 on: April 14, 2020, 05:04:57 pm »
I took my daughter for a husky dog sledge ride on a frozen lake in Norway. When we got there I didn't want to go anywhere near the snarling fighting buggers. But after the run, they were docile pussycats.

Husky puppies, clearly miniature werewolves:   

Also some weapons-grade cuteness right there. If that got together with my daughter... the critical mass thereof would tear reality asunder.  :-DD

mnem

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55758 on: April 14, 2020, 05:13:51 pm »
Well boredom will soon be gone for a while anyway, had a delivery of the RS parts I need to recap the 4503 and the replacement battery, just awaiting the final caps from BitsBox to arrive, hopefully tomorrow?
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #55759 on: April 14, 2020, 05:34:52 pm »
   Re Coffee mugs, I had to bring up an HP Classic, the fundamental equations and constants, F to C conversion, a angle guage, a crude clock and it holds coffee. There still are a few out there - the logo in my mind puts in 70s or 80s.When backpacking I used a single layer stainless steel mug, which also did duty as a small cooking pot, weight and durability rules. I tended to drink tea when backpacking as it is lighter to carry and I refuse to drink instant coffee.

I MUST. HAVE. THAT MUG. *scuttles off to scour fleaBay* Fuck. Nothing this side of the Dumbfuckistan border.  :palm:

for grins, i wandered off to ebay to see if anyone had this fabulous mug.  >:D 

fifty bucks plus, i dunno, ten or twelve more for shipping was a little rich for my blood.   :scared:

* worsthorse wanders off to make a fresh starbucks via in a paper cup left over from his last pre-covid mcdonalds drive through...

SOMEBODY apparently grabbed it - just looked and it sold earlier today.  Definitely a very cool mug.  Fifty clams plus shipping is a bit rich, but I'd have been sorely tempted given the cool factor and (I'd think) rarity.  I suppose I should be glad the temptation has been removed - more $$ for boat anchors.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55760 on: April 14, 2020, 05:54:06 pm »
I think it is a good miss, cool it might be but 50 clams plus shipping could buy you a decent boat anchor which you'd enjoy far more and it should have a far greater longevity, one drop and the mug would be gone.  ::)
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #55761 on: April 14, 2020, 06:02:07 pm »
I think it is a good miss, cool it might be but 50 clams plus shipping could buy you a decent boat anchor which you'd enjoy far more and it should have a far greater longevity, one drop and the mug would be gone.  ::)

LOL - ...vs one drop of a boat anchor and a hole in the floor...  (or a flattened foot)  Very valid point - I'll need to go on a boat anchor hunt later tonight.   :-+ :-+

-Pat

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55762 on: April 14, 2020, 06:03:05 pm »
Totally agree with Specmaster. I’m not one for ornaments myself. Boat anchors actually do something other than hold liquid!

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55763 on: April 14, 2020, 06:04:04 pm »
Boy Scouts (I lasted there about 3 weeks before I broke the Scoutmaster)

Been there. I got kicked out for firing some sandwiches out of the end of a CO2 fire extinguisher  :-DD

My EDC for decades:      Add larger as needed up to shovel or Katana-sized.   };=)~~~~<

Ahh I had to post this one as well after seeing that. The only things of my father's I kept was his swiss army knife and his Fluke 77. He was swiss so you'd expect it really  :-DD. Knife dates to ~1980 and replaced once he had from the 1960s.

SAK is doing fine. However the Fluke 77 is unfortunately gone. It was beyond deceased after 2 leaked batteries and him abusing it for 15 years before I got it. I slightly regret not nursing it back to health if I'm honest but I know a fatality when I see one.

My Scoutmaster was a retired yuppie who was so uptight the stick up his ass had a stick up its ass. He was proud of the fact that both Richard Nixon and President Reagan were Eagle Scouts. I politely informed him (no, seriously; VERY politely) that both were proven war criminals and asked him not to bring their names up again, as they were NOT good role models. He was retired after the brouhaha which ensued when, after being locked in the coat closet for brownie time (after cheerfully helping make them... okay, maybe a little TOO cheerfully) I felt it was reasonable to smear his Camembert cheese & anchovy sandwich all over the exhaust manifolds of his car.

Neither my mother nor the Scouts were pleased with either of us; we were not surprised when his replacement asked my mother to un-enroll me. I wore it as a badge of honor.

I've carried several variants of the SAK over the years; from the Wenger Commander to the Victorinox Climber for scissors that were actually usable. When I worked as a mechanic I carried a Mini-MagLite & a Gerber MP400 on my belt all the time. Coworkers would razz me about it; but eventually they all did the same. I tried Leatherman several times; but just couldn't give up the "flick-to-open" convenience and the quality of Gerber's stainless blades, which Leatherman didn't even come close to.

mnem
*off to see what the postal carrier brung me*
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 07:21:46 pm by mnementh »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55764 on: April 14, 2020, 06:15:00 pm »

LOL - ...vs one drop of a boat anchor and a hole in the floor...  (or a flattened foot)  Very valid point - I'll need to go on a boat anchor hunt later tonight.   :-+ :-+

-Pat
:-DD Theory being that a boat anchor, being the size and weight they are, is that you would take much greater care of it, especially when moving it, whereas a mug could very easily be knocked or pushed off the bench while moving the boat anchor  >:D
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 06:29:44 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #55765 on: April 14, 2020, 06:42:45 pm »

-Pat
:-DD Theory being that a boat anchor, being the size and weight they are, is that you would take much greater care of it, especially when moving it, whereas a mug could very easily be knocked or pushed off the bench while moving the boat anchor  >:D

True, and my feline lab assistants are certainly not averse to aiding and abetting gravity in its efforts towards damage and destruction of fragile things.

Banzai!!!!

(no, she wasn't actually trying to push it over and that was the start of a yawn, but the still pic makes it look like her war face.)

-Pat

The following users thanked this post: edavid, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55766 on: April 14, 2020, 07:18:27 pm »
mnem
*off to see what the postal carrier brung me*

mnem
See y'all on the other side. >:D

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #55767 on: April 14, 2020, 07:35:28 pm »
My beloved Victorinox Multitool. Always with me.  :D  :-+

970016-0
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #55768 on: April 14, 2020, 08:02:28 pm »
Hey mnem,

look what I've found:

This is the artist behind it:

https://www.deviantart.com/thebigduluth/gallery

Enjoy.  ;D

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #55769 on: April 14, 2020, 08:46:15 pm »
My real knife.
Victorinox 5" Lamb skinner.

Rounded blunt drop point and if you've done much animal skinning you'll know why it's made this way.  ;)

I'm long over traditional skinning knives like these  :rant:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55770 on: April 14, 2020, 08:49:37 pm »
Went walkies with wife and the baby grrl cuz it was sunny if a bit cold. Sitting at my break spot; a utility xfmr about halfway... And now it's snowing on muh bald haid...

mnem
*toddles off to check the mailbox before I get snowed under*

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55771 on: April 14, 2020, 08:53:33 pm »
EDC is a Victorinox Handyman and/or a Leatherman PST2. While the PST2 leaves not much to be desired, I should have been more diligent in selecting that . Should have gone for the small SwissChamp instead, as it is missing Philips Sdr. and the magnifier.
I have a Gerber Tool somewhere, but the PST2 is really a good fit if you are not into woodsmanship or such. The scissors can cut the wires too fine for the cutter and the diamond file comes handy too.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #55772 on: April 14, 2020, 08:54:08 pm »
Yeah the saw is pretty amazing on the things. Will go through bone like cheese.

That is incidentally why I bought the alox. I don't want to lose that classic SAK due as it was an important part of my life.
Only amateurs need a bone saw when preparing an animal.  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55773 on: April 14, 2020, 08:55:17 pm »
I was talking about my camping companions  >:D

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline kleiner Rainer

• Regular Contributor
  • Rainer DG1SMD JN48ts
« Reply #55774 on: April 14, 2020, 08:57:06 pm »
The other swiss army knife - Wenger. Automatic watch for size. The saw is excellent.

Rainer

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf