Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14892109 times)

Vince, Jouko and 148 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #59750 on: May 29, 2020, 04:04:51 pm »
Thanks a lot for the offer, but I need parts that appear on the NASA parts list. I am builing an USOs that is supposed to be space qualified, so a lot of parts are not even allowed. So for the types, that are 2N2222, 2N2857, 2N2848, 2N3866, ...
really retro, I know. Other parts may be even better, but you know the space buerocrats.

Is it possible, that you could post this parts list here? Just out of curiousity.

Thanks.

Yeah, why not. The link is here:
https://nepp.nasa.gov/npsl/

It also has links to the European and Japanese Space Agency Lists. Dont be surprised that some parts are older than you :)

Who still manufactures those devices to those Mil-Spec standards...?  To get that rating is more than just final parts testing; it's a whole process, from beginning to end that has to be maintained in closed-loop management to ensure the part is sufficiently abuse-tolerant.

After that, there's a whole nuther long involved process in the procurement aspect; from storage conditions to static-protection to chain-of-custody at every step of the part's handling to ensure it ARRIVES to the assembler without degradation. The last one left that I knew of back in the day was Fairchild; to my knowledge they no longer have US-based production facilities so would not qualify from the security aspect of that process control...? :-//

mnem
*just me fulminating at the mind again...*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #59751 on: May 29, 2020, 04:10:20 pm »
I think if we knew the real truth that a lot of MIL spec hardware contains Chinese sourced parts.  :palm:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #59752 on: May 29, 2020, 04:11:41 pm »
Returned the Heathkit IG-18 sine / square wave generator to the owner this morning. I wanted to show him the sine wave output amplitude as related to the Int. / Ext. 600 ohm termination - I asked if I could use his scope. He said yea sure but it hasn't been on in years. I was able to use it but the controls were very dirty, as was the whole unit. Really filthy.

I asked him, if the scope worked well, would he use it? He said he would. So now, I have another project - restoring a Kikusui 20 MHz scope to full operation. I think it just needs a little TLC, no - a lot. Check the pics. One of the dirtiest scopes I've seen in a long while. Right now the cover is off and its airing-out on the front porch.  :phew:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #59753 on: May 29, 2020, 04:13:44 pm »
Holy crap, that is F....ing nasty.  :-- :palm:

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59754 on: May 29, 2020, 04:16:49 pm »
Mmmm sticky!

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59755 on: May 29, 2020, 04:17:20 pm »

I hate seeing this sort of shit  :palm:   
you can sold fixe that with special aluminium welding rods
Probably not. That's a die casting and the aluminium alloy used for die casting has a lot of silicon in it. It makes it expand ever so slightly as it freezes - which is great for die casting, but lousy for welding. When welding it as it all freezes the base casting metal expands, the filler metal shrinks and the whole thing either bends out of shape or in extreme cases just cracks again.
You can "stitch" cast ally back together using lead, but on something that small...  idk.   Only seen it used on HGV engine blocks.
EDIT: This link might provide some useful clues/inspiration?  https://www.metalockengineering.com/en/typical-repairs/metal-stitching/

It can be done with a dirt cheap butane torch and some filler rods and patience  ;) https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hewlett-packard-740b-dc-standard-digital-voltmeter-(and-740a)/msg1419955/#msg1419955

Mmmmhmmmm... that project was one of the better soap operas to appear in this channel.  :popcorn:

I cringed when you modded in that C14 socket, even tho I knew it "had to be done". ;)

I forget... did you ever finish the I/O boxes, or are the cable end connectors still holding you up...?

mnem
 :-+
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59756 on: May 29, 2020, 04:21:55 pm »
Returned the Heathkit IG-18 sine / square wave generator to the owner this morning. I wanted to show him the sine wave output amplitude as related to the Int. / Ext. 600 ohm termination - I asked if I could use his scope. He said yea sure but it hasn't been on in years. I was able to use it but the controls were very dirty, as was the whole unit. Really filthy.

I asked him, if the scope worked well, would he use it? He said he would. So now, I have another project - restoring a Kikusui 20 MHz scope to full operation. I think it just needs a little TLC, no - a lot. Check the pics. One of the dirtiest scopes I've seen in a long while. Right now the cover is off and its airing-out on the front porch.  :phew:

Oh dear... here comes another installment of "experiments with bleach paste & UV light"; lemme pull up a chair and get comfortable...  :popcorn:

mnem
 :-BROKE

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #59757 on: May 29, 2020, 04:26:35 pm »
Holy crap, that is F....ing nasty.  :-- :palm:

Mmmm sticky!

Oh dear... here comes another installment of "experiments with bleach paste & UV light"; lemme pull up a chair and get comfortable...  :popcorn:

Anyone a fan of the TV show "Dirty Jobs"?

I need them to visit my bench!

Grab a pair of nitrile gloves and some Simple Green and you can be on TV with me!  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, bd139

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #59758 on: May 29, 2020, 04:27:15 pm »
Thanks a lot for the offer, but I need parts that appear on the NASA parts list. I am builing an USOs that is supposed to be space qualified, so a lot of parts are not even allowed. So for the types, that are 2N2222, 2N2857, 2N2848, 2N3866, ...
really retro, I know. Other parts may be even better, but you know the space buerocrats.

Is it possible, that you could post this parts list here? Just out of curiousity.

Thanks.

Yeah, why not. The link is here:
https://nepp.nasa.gov/npsl/

It also has links to the European and Japanese Space Agency Lists. Dont be surprised that some parts are older than you :)

Who still manufactures those devices to those Mil-Spec standards...?  To get that rating is more than just final parts testing; it's a whole process, from beginning to end that has to be maintained in closed-loop management to ensure the part is sufficiently abuse-tolerant.

After that, there's a whole nuther long involved process in the procurement aspect; from storage conditions to static-protection to chain-of-custody at every step of the part's handling to ensure it ARRIVES to the assembler without degradation. The last one left that I knew of back in the day was Fairchild; to my knowledge they no longer have US-based production facilities so would not qualify from the security aspect of that process control...? :-//

mnem
*just me fulminating at the mind again...*

I think one of the major MIL parts supplier today is Microsemi.

And, yes, for class 1 you need backtrackability from the part back to the wafer. including all processing steps, tests, ...
No wonder a 2N2222A with all the checks will cost you about 1K per piece. You get a telephone book of documentation with it,
and you have to wait a few months before you get it. And - most surprising - the data of these parts is not as good as standard parts.
Only the have proven that they can survive a lot more abuse than others. Thats what you want in a space environment. Reliability is king.
Cutting edge ? Nah. Never.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59759 on: May 29, 2020, 04:28:46 pm »
What;    Philip Fry and company...? I thought they moved all their production to Taiwan in the early 2000s...? Not sure I'd trust security there any better than China...

mnem
 :bullshit:
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 04:41:40 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59760 on: May 29, 2020, 04:38:54 pm »
I think if we knew the real truth that a lot of MIL spec hardware contains Chinese sourced parts.  :palm:

Hmmm... knowing how Apple maintains Gestapo-level security on their Chinese production lines; I wonder if any such facility would or even COULD engage with  'merkin military security to ensure similar plant lockdown...? Not sure what their government would permit... :o

mnem
Trying to think in a "Cold War" mindset makes my brain cry...

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #59761 on: May 29, 2020, 04:39:28 pm »
I propose soaking the PCB in "Essigessenz" and wait for the bubbling to subside. This neutralizes the KOH and basically stops the caustic from eating any further into your PCB.

If it has been there for any time it won't be Potassium Hydroxide any more, it will almost certainly have converted to Potassium Carbonate by taking up CO2 from the atmosphere - remember that alkali metal hydroxides are used to make CO2 scrubbers to remove CO2 from the atmosphere in rebreathers and spacecraft. It isn't necessary to do anything so aggressive as trying to neutralize it with vinegar. Potassium Carbonate is basically the Potassium version of washing soda (Na2CO3) and it ought to wash out quite happily with just water - it's so soluble that it's deliquescent. Adding an acid to the mix could make things worse by attacking things that are susceptible to acid attack that weren't susceptible to attack by bases. In particular, copper is more susceptible to attack by weak acids (e.g. vinegar) than is it to weak alkalis (e.g. K2CO3) - I use citric acid to micro-etch copper when making PCBs to promote adhesion of resist films.

I tend to disagree here given my experience with battery induced corrosion on PCBs and corrosion repair. When doing corrosion repair on a pinball pcb the KOH eats away at the traces even under the solder mask quite happily and does so for weeks if not longer. The only viable way to get it off is to neutralize it an a weak acid, and you can basically watch that reaction when pouring acid onto the board. We usually keep it on the board until the bubbling stops (which is about 10 seconds max, far shorter than any bases have had a chance to wreak havoc), clean it off, throw it into the ultrasonic and then remove the solder mask and use the proper amount of flux to clean off any corrosion. Then inspect it under the microscope and fix the traces.

This has worked for many dead CPU boards so far. Thus my offer.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59762 on: May 29, 2020, 04:43:22 pm »
Your patience for such vile work is both inspiring and frightening.  :-+

mnem
 :clap:

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59763 on: May 29, 2020, 04:54:10 pm »
Search for "JANTX" on ebay. Sorted. Also broke  :-DD
That should rather be JANS or at least JANTXV.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59764 on: May 29, 2020, 05:40:42 pm »
bisi day.
@work and at home. Cannot tawk about the stuff at work, cuz dat'z sumwhat restricted ...

@home
sold one of my motorbikes.
Unloaded the Weber Barbecue and lugged it up the stairs.
Started rebuilding my home workstation PC which still needs to run W7.
X99 board, i7-5820k, currently 32GB mem, will be upgraded to 64. An intel PCIE SSD (750 series, 1.2 TB) and currently a GTX1060. Still hoping for the RTX 5k though. Currently installing W7 Ultimate
and downloading about 1.8 GB patches. Bloody hell. Installing them will take all nite.

Received a parcel today, I suspect it's that underpowered Raytheon thingie. Tomorrow will be paper sorting day. Hubby will be at work, so I can listen to the Grapevine (Creedence Clearwater Revival) at some ample decibels. Maybe also put on some comfortably numb which is what my neighbors should be by now ...

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #59765 on: May 29, 2020, 05:48:29 pm »

Yep, they probably just paint them blue. The navy is blue, right?
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59766 on: May 29, 2020, 05:55:00 pm »

[...] Currently installing W7 Ultimate and downloading about 1.8 GB patches. [...]

Microsoft does a couple of "Convenience Rollups" that take you to about 2016,  which can be applied offline in one go like a service pack.  Then the rest of the updates are not so bad.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59767 on: May 29, 2020, 05:57:23 pm »
Roll up pack is called windows 10  :-DD

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59768 on: May 29, 2020, 06:00:37 pm »
W10 makes my toe nails roll up.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59769 on: May 29, 2020, 06:06:10 pm »
[...] Currently installing W7 Ultimate and downloading about 1.8 GB patches. [...]
Microsoft does a couple of "Convenience Rollups" that take you to about 2016,  which can be applied offline in one go like a service pack.  Then the rest of the updates are not so bad.
Yup. Still have them on a thumbdrive around here somewhere. You'll need to find & install Windows6.1-KB947821-v34-x64.msu first; otherwise Windoze Update will stall because the servers it's looking for don't exist anymore.

Others to look into depending on your needs: windows6.1-kb3125574-v4-x64.msu, windows6.1-kb4474419-v3-x64Sept2019SHA-2Update.msu, windows6.1-kb4490628-x64-April2019Rollup.msu, windows6.1-kb4516655-x64-Sept2019ServiceStackUpdate.msu

Good luck!

mnem
 :phew:

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens, Saskia

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #59770 on: May 29, 2020, 06:07:48 pm »

Used to work at a place that makes MIL grade displays. One of the tests simulated a torpedo detonation in the room next door. The display had to survive (but was allowed to reboot). One could make the note that the shock would have killed anyone in the room, but that was less important. The gear had to survive ;)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59772 on: May 29, 2020, 06:10:54 pm »
W10 makes my toe nails roll up.

mnem
*agitating-ily*

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Saskia

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59773 on: May 29, 2020, 06:20:45 pm »
Aw shit.  |O |O

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/repairrestoration-of-a-tek-type-561b/

Damn... Murphy DOES love to just pile it on, doesn't she...? Chin up, buddy. A man made it; a med can fix it.  ;)

mnem
 :-BROKE

The following users thanked this post: med6753

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59774 on: May 29, 2020, 06:22:40 pm »
I propose soaking the PCB in "Essigessenz" and wait for the bubbling to subside. This neutralizes the KOH and basically stops the caustic from eating any further into your PCB.

If it has been there for any time it won't be Potassium Hydroxide any more, it will almost certainly have converted to Potassium Carbonate by taking up CO2 from the atmosphere - remember that alkali metal hydroxides are used to make CO2 scrubbers to remove CO2 from the atmosphere in rebreathers and spacecraft. It isn't necessary to do anything so aggressive as trying to neutralize it with vinegar. Potassium Carbonate is basically the Potassium version of washing soda (Na2CO3) and it ought to wash out quite happily with just water - it's so soluble that it's deliquescent. Adding an acid to the mix could make things worse by attacking things that are susceptible to acid attack that weren't susceptible to attack by bases. In particular, copper is more susceptible to attack by weak acids (e.g. vinegar) than is it to weak alkalis (e.g. K2CO3) - I use citric acid to micro-etch copper when making PCBs to promote adhesion of resist films.

I tend to disagree here given my experience with battery induced corrosion on PCBs and corrosion repair. When doing corrosion repair on a pinball pcb the KOH eats away at the traces even under the solder mask quite happily and does so for weeks if not longer. The only viable way to get it off is to neutralize it an a weak acid, and you can basically watch that reaction when pouring acid onto the board. We usually keep it on the board until the bubbling stops (which is about 10 seconds max, far shorter than any bases have had a chance to wreak havoc), clean it off, throw it into the ultrasonic and then remove the solder mask and use the proper amount of flux to clean off any corrosion. Then inspect it under the microscope and fix the traces.

This has worked for many dead CPU boards so far. Thus my offer.

The bubbling you observe is pretty conclusive proof that you're looking at the carbonate K2CO3 + 2CH3-COOH →  2CH3COOK + CO2 + H2O whereas the hydroxide doesn't produce any gas when neutralised CH3COOH + KOH → CH3COOK + H2O. The (weakly basic) carbonate is no more difficult to wash off than the (weakly acidic*) acetate that you're creating. All the neutralisation step is doing is introducing another unnecessary chemical to the mix.

* It's a little more complicated than that, potassium acetate in the presence of acetic acid acts as a pH buffer and it gets a bit complicated from there...
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf