Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14882294 times)

hua and 28 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #59900 on: May 30, 2020, 11:58:13 pm »
My first law is simply: time is the only currency worth considering.

Probably you are a more wiser man than me.

A good friend of mine died this week at the consequences of a cerebral haemorrhage.
He was an EEVBlog forum member here as well and was around 40 years old.

Only HE knows, how much time you have left. (Except Rincewind)

My condolences. Moral of the story: You can be gone a lot faster than you think. Had a similar episode, but survived with a *lot* of luck. Lession learned: Dont waste time with bullshit. Have enough fun (if it need be, with TEA) !
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 12:02:46 am by Wolfgang »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59901 on: May 31, 2020, 12:00:12 am »
Incoming, hopefully arriving soon is another AVO model 8, Mk5, complete with all leads, manual and also a clamp on amp probe, a bit grubby but it will clean up nicely. Seller is a retired electrical engineer having a clear out to save his son from having it to do when the time comes, in other words a pre SK sale. This will bring my tally of Avo model 8's upto 3. It wont get used all that much, but at the price it would be rude not to and I'm sure that one day these fine lovable meters will escalate in value. :-+

The attached photo is not actual meter, but it is however the same.
I'm still looking for the right one - which I saw offered once but misssed the auction. It is an ex-military Mk8, not the common model. (have ID now, it is a Test Set No. 1 based on the Model8 MkV.)
Had it marked, but got lost over something else. It was in very good condition.

I already have one of those as well, bloody heavy it is in its metal casing as well. I just like the look of the model 8 Mk 5 with all of its controls nicely lined up in 2 rows. To go with my 3 Avo 8's I also have these analogue meters.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59902 on: May 31, 2020, 12:11:44 am »
Eureka, I'm now the proud owner of a calibrated (certainly well enough for the type of work I do), spot on the ohms and DCV and DCI and more than good enough on the AC now. For those on discord yesterday, thats why I was there in spirit if not in body, I was resolving the AC calibration issues and listening at the same time. These issues were all caused by me trying to shortcut the calibration process by only really bothering about the main range that it would be used on, 400V one. I bit the bullet and worked my way up from the lower ranges, resolved the problem. All I have to do now is to replace the caps that the heat gun slightly distorted so it is cosmetically restored back to its former glory internally and the job is a wrap.   :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #59903 on: May 31, 2020, 12:37:11 am »
Just don't overheat your MetCal on those chunky solder points!

mnem
 >:D
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 12:41:22 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59904 on: May 31, 2020, 12:44:35 am »
Just don't overheat your MetCal on those chunky solder points!

mnem
 >:D
LMAO, new caps ordered, just to maintain the cosmetic appearance on the internals  >:D ;)
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #59905 on: May 31, 2020, 01:18:07 am »
I just spotted what for all the world looks like a 87V while closing the hatch on the Dragon capsule. Looks like they they were using it in the ohms range or continuity mode. Maybe some kind of check to ensure the door's sealed and seated properly? Quite curious.

https://www.nasa.gov/nasalive

Clearly they use Harbor Freight meters at Starship development >:D Impressive Kaboom  :-DD

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59906 on: May 31, 2020, 02:51:57 am »
Incoming, hopefully arriving soon is another AVO model 8, Mk5, complete with all leads, manual and also a clamp on amp probe, a bit grubby but it will clean up nicely. Seller is a retired electrical engineer having a clear out to save his son from having it to do when the time comes, in other words a pre SK sale. This will bring my tally of Avo model 8's upto 3. It wont get used all that much, but at the price it would be rude not to and I'm sure that one day these fine lovable meters will escalate in value. :-+

I'm still looking for the right one - which I saw offered once but misssed the auction. It is an ex-military Mk8, not the common model. (have ID now, it is a Test Set No. 1 based on the Model8 MkV.)

I already have one of those as well, bloody heavy it is in its metal casing as well. I just like the look of the model 8 Mk 5 with all of its controls nicely lined up in 2 rows. To go with my 3 Avo 8's I also have these analogue meters.

The guy with the huge AVO collection says otherwise.
(http://www.richardsradios.co.uk/avometersdata.html)

'A military version 'Test Set No. 1' was essentially identical to the Mk 5 (to 1986) except for the front panel markings shown here:'

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #59907 on: May 31, 2020, 04:22:13 am »

Yeah, one has to have an Avo.

Are those only your purely electromechanical ones? So, no Unigor 6 or Siemens Multizet A1000 or Philips 2502, or did you not count those here?
And you are leaving out Italy - you must aquire an ICE or Carlo Gavazzi meter then.

No, I've got a really old british one, just DC volts (more of a school demo type) and a wonderful Weston AC meter, marked "Property of IBM" that's got 5 ranges selected by binding posts, and finally a little british Taylor VOM from mid-50s, also UK.  Yes, a Philips would fit, and perhaps another German meter. Italy was unknown to me, of course that's interesting too.

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #59908 on: May 31, 2020, 05:23:55 am »
A good friend of mine died this week at the consequences of a cerebral haemorrhage.

My mom died suddenly and unexpectedly a few weeks ago (not Covid related) so I feel your pain.

This just after a good friend dying and my aunt having a stroke, all totally unexpected.  Oh, my....

Everything is a complete disaster here right now.  Keep strong, guys!!   :)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 05:33:07 am by drussell »

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #59909 on: May 31, 2020, 05:26:05 am »

A little late but: My condolences, too, BU.
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #59910 on: May 31, 2020, 05:30:59 am »
not sure but from the 70's like me... omg that 50 years??

Indeed.  What day is it today?  Aren't we now closer to to 2070 than 1970?

:palm:

Geez, as a fellow 70's kid, I feel old now...  :)

Edit: P.S. The interior of that Crew Dragon today looked pretty slick for a spacecraft.  :)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 05:34:51 am by drussell »

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline oolloo

• Contributor
« Reply #59911 on: May 31, 2020, 05:38:17 am »
Agree on all points most 70s kids are 40-50 , Dragan looked cool and those Orville looking space suits haha, not hard to be cooler than govt atuff,  they never spend money on aesthetic, 

Offline URI

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #59912 on: May 31, 2020, 05:52:50 am »

My mom died suddenly and unexpectedly a few weeks ago (not Covid related) so I feel your pain.

This just after a good friend dying and my aunt having a stroke, all totally unexpected.  Oh, my....

Oh, my! My condolences also to you, drussel!

Reminds one to not waste precious lifetime by procrastinating dreams and wishes..
A life without TEA is possible but pointless.

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #59913 on: May 31, 2020, 06:28:40 am »

Only HE knows, how much time you have left. (Except Rincewind)
@BU508A, my condolences also.  I have also seen a few go; the sense of loss is only a measure of how good the good memories were.  Celebrate the friendship and those memories!

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #59914 on: May 31, 2020, 06:34:26 am »

@drussell, my condolences.  I think you said it well to "Keep strong".  Remember,  the sense of loss is only a measure of how good the good memories were.  Celebrate the relationship and those memories!

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #59915 on: May 31, 2020, 07:09:49 am »
I like this one; it's "Classic Linus" style.  :-DD

Note that Linus is using the same case I chose for my Ryzen 7 Build; mostly for the PSU Channel/cavity design with glass side and dual 120/140mm top rad and dual/triple 120/240mm front rad for $37 on the ShellShocker. This configuration, IMO, is a MINIMUM requirement for any modern build.  The fact mine came with RGB lighting was a "Meh..." point for me; it meant I could color-coordinate with my LED thermometer, but once the LED color was set to blue, I disabled the color management and forgot about it.

Good building!
Thanks for that video link.  That gives me a good baseline to compare against.  Definitely my budget is aligned with what is in Linus' video.  I get the impression from the video that he is Canadian from a couple of his comments, but I am not sure that $800 price is Canadian.  With a few changes (double the memory, different case, different SSD), I was almost $1300 looking at CanadaComputers.com, NewEgg.ca and Amazon.ca.  Have I missed a source, did prices jump that much in 2 months, or is his baseline $USD?

I have picked up a few details on modern hardware.  However, I expect I have not got all the knowledge needed, so I will likely check back later.  I will also keep an eye out for deals as I do have a bit of time.

Thanks mnem!

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #59916 on: May 31, 2020, 08:19:31 am »
59 quid. Soooo tempting https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373069331029

That's the seller I got the HP differential probe from. It was his father that was the EE, passed away last year I believe.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59917 on: May 31, 2020, 08:21:23 am »
Edit: P.S. The interior of that Crew Dragon today looked pretty slick for a spacecraft.  :)

Better than that dingy Vogon crate, as Arthur Dent once said

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59918 on: May 31, 2020, 08:27:29 am »
Do your stacks of test equipment slide about alarmingly on your bench when you plug in a cable or vigorously press a button? Try using some strategically placed Dycem non-slip material under the feet. They sell it in the form of moulded pads or flexible grip mats. The grip mats are thinner and easily be cut up using scissors, to suit the size you need. Works a treat! (Available via Amazon)

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #59919 on: May 31, 2020, 08:38:36 am »
Well, I found another nixie display to waste my time bidding on...   :-DD

Fluke 8300A, I imagine my maiden bid of £25 will need to increase to win, let's hope it's not by too much!    :scared:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #59920 on: May 31, 2020, 08:42:04 am »
Do your stacks of test equipment slide about alarmingly on your bench when you plug in a cable or vigorously press a button? Try using some strategically placed Dycem non-slip material under the feet. They sell it in the form of moulded pads or flexible grip mats. The grip mats are thinner and easily be cut up using scissors, to suit the size you need. Works a treat! (Available via Amazon)
I don't like to stack my babies. They get their own shelves.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #59921 on: May 31, 2020, 09:53:22 am »
I don't like to stack my babies. They get their own shelves.

Sometimes you just have to :(

The other half is on shelves and in cupboards, away from the dust that will happen when windows[1] are replaced.

[1] Not MS Windows; that happened long ago.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59922 on: May 31, 2020, 10:03:14 am »
Well, I found another nixie display to waste my time bidding on...   :-DD

Fluke 8300A, I imagine my maiden bid of £25 will need to increase to win, let's hope it's not by too much!    :scared:

Good luck with that. I saw it and decided I don’t have enough room  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59923 on: May 31, 2020, 10:12:05 am »

The guy with the huge AVO collection says otherwise.
(http://www.richardsradios.co.uk/avometersdata.html)

'A military version 'Test Set No. 1' was essentially identical to the Mk 5 (to 1986) except for the front panel markings shown here:'

Thanks for the link, it turns out that what I thought were model 8's (including a Test Set No.1) are in fact Model 9 II with the Test Set being based on it but hugely tropicalised with huge great potted transformers etc to make it resistant to the effects of heat and humidity etc. :-+

Edit:
Just thought it worthy of a note that the Nato stock number of the meter is 6625-99-105-7050 and yet the black protective case for it is part number 6625-99-105-7049 which just struck me as being odd. Rather like which came first, the chicken or the egg :-DD :-DD

« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 12:22:49 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #59924 on: May 31, 2020, 10:31:25 am »
first offer for all local TEA folks:

I have a Shadow pinball (Bally), WPC S, that I would part with. The pinball is working fine, no errors, mini playfield working well. Hard to get spare parts included. This is one of the fastest playing pinballs that Bally ever created (along with Johnny Mnemonic) ... Playfield ok so far, some rework done on top of the Sanctum area. Spare playfield available if you want to restore a playfield yourself.
Local pickup only (near Mainz), 2nd level in a multi tenant building. Weight: about 168 kgs, backbox (ca 40 kgs) can be removed, playfield can be removed so that 2 persons can bring it down the stairs without too much pain. Help to reattach backbox and reseat playfield can be provided.

PM for details.

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2528

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf