Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14563635 times)

Robert763 and 23 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #59950 on: May 31, 2020, 07:44:56 pm »
if anyone is in dire need of PC stuff, drop me a line. I have a couple of spare 2070s 5700 XTs, assorted mainboards, RAM, and full blown PCs ...

Damn if you'd asked me a couple of weeks back. Can't justify buying any more stuff at the moment though  :--

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #59951 on: May 31, 2020, 07:51:10 pm »
I've bought a few minutes ago some TE which is not so heavy as the pinball machines from Saskia:
A Grundig universal counter with Nixie-tubes, the Grundig UZ 56. ETA: end of next week.
Cost including shipping: EUR 50.-

Here's a picture of it:

That is a nice find.
SWMBO was passing by as I was looking at this, so I tried to explain nixie tubes.  Why bother, eyes glazed over after 2 seconds.
Still, that adds a magical glow to a bench!

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, bd139

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #59952 on: May 31, 2020, 07:52:29 pm »
Regular user of PC Parts Picker here. Excellent tool.

Thanks @mnementh and @bd139, I am heading there now to take a look.

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #59953 on: May 31, 2020, 07:55:02 pm »
if anyone is in dire need of PC stuff, drop me a line. I have a couple of spare 2070s 5700 XTs, assorted mainboards, RAM, and full blown PCs ...

Interesting, but I suspect that sending things across the pond is not going to be worth the hassle of packaging, shipping cost, and the extended wait...

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #59954 on: May 31, 2020, 08:00:52 pm »
Trump was allowed to say a few words after the SpaceX launch and he goes off on a tangent about the Minnesota unrest and social issues for the better part of 15 minutes. I know he was criticized for not saying anything about it yesterday but this hardly seems an appropriate repair attempt. Talk about being a buzzkill.

After that buzzkill, hopefully I can offer some levity.
Being Canadian, I could not help myself since the astronauts are named Bob & Doug.  I also have family members with those names ....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #59955 on: May 31, 2020, 08:19:45 pm »

Damn if you'd asked me a couple of weeks back. Can't justify buying any more stuff at the moment though  :--
sorry about that, my problem is that I cannot go past a bargain,  the 20 Brussels Pesos for an Asus Pro X370 which does in fact run a Ryzen 5 3700x at full speed and supports memory overclocking and is in no way slower than the X570 was an unplanned expense. As was the 220 for the Radeon Strix 5700xt. and all the other crap that was flying my way.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #59956 on: May 31, 2020, 08:20:55 pm »

Interesting, but I suspect that sending things across the pond is not going to be worth the hassle of packaging, shipping cost, and the extended wait...

sorry, that's probably not worth it. Shipping a PC or bulky parts across the pond and adding cost, customs, etc seems to be somewhat mental.

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59957 on: May 31, 2020, 09:03:54 pm »
I don't like to stack my babies. They get their own shelves.

Sometimes you just have to :(

The other half is on shelves and in cupboards, away from the dust that will happen when windows[1] are replaced.

[1] Not MS Windows; that happened long ago.

Wouhaa, I guess you're living alone. I would never be allowed to do something like that over here. I suddenly want to decorate the whole house with TEA.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #59958 on: May 31, 2020, 09:14:51 pm »

sorry about that, my problem is that I cannot go past a bargain,  the 20 Brussels Pesos for an Asus Pro X370 which does in fact run a Ryzen 5 3700x at full speed and supports memory overclocking and is in no way slower than the X570 was an unplanned expense. As was the 220 for the Radeon Strix 5700xt. and all the other crap that was flying my way.

Yeah, I'd have bought all that cra... err, amazing PC hardware too.:-DD Same boat re: shipping making it insanely expensive, tho.

mnem
 :-\
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #59959 on: May 31, 2020, 09:33:19 pm »
Ive actually been somewhat productive today. These reusable cableties are really neat to organize cables. Ignore the mess to the side of the box, my drive for today does not extend that far.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #59960 on: May 31, 2020, 09:39:29 pm »
I don't like to stack my babies. They get their own shelves.

Sometimes you just have to :(

The other half is on shelves and in cupboards, away from the dust that will happen when windows[1] are replaced.

[1] Not MS Windows; that happened long ago.

Wouhaa, I guess you're living alone. I would never be allowed to do something like that over here. I suddenly want to decorate the whole house with TEA.

Nobody wants that pile there! Windows are being ripped out and new ones installed, hopefully before it rains :) They had to be moved since the men need access to the windows, and I don't want dust etc fouling the equipment.

Mind you, the pile is now slightly smaller. I put a Tek 465 up for sale this afternoon, and it sold within 2 hours! The buyer paid for postage, but according to google is only a 22minute drive away. He's going to get a delivery at a time to suit him :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #59961 on: May 31, 2020, 10:24:31 pm »
Ive actually been somewhat productive today. These reusable cableties are really neat to organize cables. Ignore the mess to the side of the box, my drive for today does not extend that far.

https://www.amazon.com/Shintop-Garden-Cutter-Gardening-Office/dp/B078PCPR9K/

Ignore the ridiculous Amazon pricing; these are available at most Dollar stores for a buck or two or at your local Wally Wurld or equivalent garden center for ~$5. Comes in a 50m or 100m roll as shown here. They are nice in that you can easily cut only the length you need for a particular bundle; I use them for organizing all my wire & power brick drawers. :-+

mnem
*tidy-ily*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #59962 on: June 01, 2020, 01:52:49 am »
Neat. I didn't know they were available in a roll.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #59963 on: June 01, 2020, 02:02:04 am »
Perfect for Ring Barking your plants with soon to be exposed rusty wire :-- There used to be a roll in Mums shack before I absorbed it  >:D The plastic carrier had gone brittle and the tangled wire abomination went in the bin.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline cyclin_al

• Frequent Contributor
  • VE3TSD / VA2XAR
« Reply #59964 on: June 01, 2020, 03:03:53 am »
Is anyone familiar with select-test.com?  They have a couple of bench multimeters listed on fleabay that would fit in my needs category.
They look rough cosmetically, so I expect a low ball offer would be in order.  Supposedly they are working.  Part of the interest is that I could almost go in person, rather than getting them shipped.
Any advice/coaching as I embark on used TEA?  My past acquisitions have been from very reliable sources, so this is new territory for me.

HP 3468B:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AGILENT-HP-3468B-5-5-DIGIT-BENCH-MULTIMETER-DMM-LOOK-REF-995G/202981521137?hash=item2f42a436f1:g:y4oAAOSwhIRerrQc

HP 3478A:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AGILENT-HP-3478A-5-DIGIT-2-4-WIRE-BENCHTOP-MULTIMETER-LOOK-REF-257G/202982992412?epid=2254324634&hash=item2f42baaa1c:g:oBYAAOSwR6lesTaX

I need to move somewhat quickly.  SWMBO's brother is getting rid of an above-ground pool to get a spa instead.  We are getting the pool for free, but budgets are going to tighten up once SWMBO realizes installation is going to cost in the $1000CAD ballpark.  It is certainly not free considering the sweat I put in to disassemble it and load it into a trailer...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 03:08:26 am by cyclin_al »

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59965 on: June 01, 2020, 03:47:09 am »
Is anyone familiar with select-test.com?

Yes, that's my local TE surplus store ;D The listing price is normally a bit high, but they are open to negotiation and accept reasonable offer. When they sell for parts there is normally a problem.

Not sure how good they are at packaging and shipping since I collected in person everything I bought from them.

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #59966 on: June 01, 2020, 06:49:53 am »
first offer for all local TEA folks:

I have a Shadow pinball (Bally), WPC S, that I would part with. The pinball is working fine, no errors, mini playfield working well. Hard to get spare parts included. This is one of the fastest playing pinballs that Bally ever created (along with Johnny Mnemonic) ... Playfield ok so far, some rework done on top of the Sanctum area. Spare playfield available if you want to restore a playfield yourself.
Local pickup only (near Mainz), 2nd level in a multi tenant building. Weight: about 168 kgs, backbox (ca 40 kgs) can be removed, playfield can be removed so that 2 persons can bring it down the stairs without too much pain. Help to reattach backbox and reseat playfield can be provided.

PM for details.

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2528

Mmmhmmm.... that's tasty. Fortunately for me and my bankbook, there's no way in Hell I could get it here without mortgaging the children. Tho if it were a Black Knight or a Mata Hari... *shuddder*

mnem
"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men...?"
"Their wives."

Yeah, Mata Hari and Lost World. Saturday night with strained arms ... sigh, I'm starting to reminisce ::)

If only I had the space!

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #59967 on: June 01, 2020, 08:11:41 am »
Apologies as not quite TEA but close, sort of like an ac dc current limited variable ~80V 200A power supply, my new TIG welder.
So many settings to get right, current, ac balance, frequency, electrode/cup size, gas flow-pre-during-post , and if you touch the filler rod to the tungsten - then you have to take it out and grind it again. (actually put in one of the other 9 you ground earlier!)
My first butt joint after about 10 trial runs - not pretty but I am getting better (not saying much)
I think I am going to have to do it seated - I wobble too much standing.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #59968 on: June 01, 2020, 08:25:06 am »
Apologies as not quite TEA but close, sort of like an ac dc current limited variable ~80V 200A power supply, my new TIG welder.
So many settings to get right, current, ac balance, frequency, electrode/cup size, gas flow-pre-during-post , and if you touch the filler rod to the tungsten - then you have to take it out and grind it again. (actually put in one of the other 9 you ground earlier!)
My first butt joint after about 10 trial runs - not pretty but I am getting better (not saying much)
I think I am going to have to do it seated - I wobble too much standing.
Uphand or downhand ?
In the little I've used TIG IIRC it was the same as MIG, uphand to get nice welds.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #59969 on: June 01, 2020, 08:32:20 am »
Uphand.
 I need to rest my forearm to get a smoother controlled movement, I used oxy-acet as a younger lad - tig is a bit different from that.
I haven't got the foot pedal going yet, I am flat out keeping the handpiece and filler rod under control, I think the pedal will be helpful in the long run.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #59970 on: June 01, 2020, 08:34:44 am »
Not sure if we have any active TEA members in California but this might go cheap and is tidy looking for the Heathkit collector. eBay auction: #164221999277 Same seller has a stack of other listings too  :-+ Multiple Carted Tek scopes  :scared:

« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 08:36:21 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #59971 on: June 01, 2020, 08:41:15 am »
Just found some more nice components for the gallery. Or do I have to build an analog computer now?

The following users thanked this post: edavid, capt bullshot

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #59972 on: June 01, 2020, 08:49:59 am »
Uphand.
 I need to rest my forearm to get a smoother controlled movement, I used oxy-acet as a younger lad - tig is a bit different from that.
I haven't got the foot pedal going yet, I am flat out keeping the handpiece and filler rod under control, I think the pedal will be helpful in the long run.
Certainly being comfortable and relaxed is the key to most welding and sometimes a leather gauntlet on the handpiece hand allows the lower arm to be rested against the workpiece without the fear of the hots !

Pedals are great for getting up to heat but you want their zero position to still supply enough grunt so you can get off it when you get going. Otherwise you're doing the hand foot dance which impacts on being properly relaxed.
Setting the pedal is a bit fiddly initially but with some experience you can get the zero 'extra' setting close most times.
Have fun !
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #59973 on: June 01, 2020, 09:26:51 am »
The TEA in tomorrow's Ramco auction already has some interesting bid prices...

A Fluke 85 multimeter for £85+uplift
Several used Isotech 100MHz scopes for £55+uplift

I wonder where they will end up?!
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59974 on: June 01, 2020, 10:49:04 am »
At the moment, probably crazy priced somewhere insane.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf