Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14836999 times)

Jambalaya and 165 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #60050 on: June 02, 2020, 05:45:16 pm »
Ebay has gotten my cash again. Been looking for one of these for months. Looks to be in great shape. It will complement the Type 191 Signal Generator and the Type 114 Pulse Generator.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, edavid, bitseeker, Cubdriver, BU508A, Specmaster, worsthorse, bd139, Kosmic, 0culus, tonyalbus

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #60051 on: June 02, 2020, 05:55:36 pm »
What the hell are those connectors? :wtf:

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60052 on: June 02, 2020, 05:57:20 pm »
GR874, as frequently used on the older Tek devices.

The following users thanked this post: Ice-Tea

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #60053 on: June 02, 2020, 06:07:01 pm »

I have one GR874 to BNC female adapter. They are available on Ebay but demand stupid prices.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #60054 on: June 02, 2020, 06:29:16 pm »
@Neomys Sapiens
do you have a better photo of the battery victim ? What is the size of the PCB ? Should I send you an ultrasonic  cleaner ?

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #60055 on: June 02, 2020, 06:31:36 pm »

They're actually pretty clever, if bulky - they're hermaphrodites - there's no male and female - clock them 90 degrees and they intermesh.  Some patience on the bay of evil will get you adapters - patience being the key as some sellers seem to think they're worth their weight in gold.  I've managed to get a few for not crazy $$, but it has taken a few years to do so.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60056 on: June 02, 2020, 06:44:05 pm »
I missed a whole bag of those connectors at a hamfest here for £5. Should have bagged them. Alas I was already heavily burdened with crud and my arms were about to fall off.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60057 on: June 02, 2020, 06:48:16 pm »
Hermes update, neighbour has come home and just brought the parcel round to me, so all is well in that dept. The meter had a miniscule amount of bubble wrap, roughly A4 sized  :palm:, then the meter was packed inside one half of the original RS cardboard box with one end open. In the bottom of the box was a number of screws, nails, broken car bulb, connecting strip and other crap and the lot wrapped in a carrier bag and tapped up. It is a miracle that the meter arrived in one piece.

Meter was in a filthy state, I knew that from the photo, however considering the previous owner was a retired electrical engineer I'm amazed to see that the AC volts range is just way out of spec, AC mains measures 237v on my other meters but 252 on the Avo so that requires some investigation as do the supplied grabbers on the probes, all bent out of shape, just as well I only paid £15 for it then.

I have no doubt that all can be sorted out with some TLC spent on it.  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #60058 on: June 02, 2020, 06:50:18 pm »
Worst packaging I've seen in a while :wtf:

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #60059 on: June 02, 2020, 07:27:42 pm »
Ummm... can I have the barrier strip and busted light bulb...? :-DD

mnem
 :-/O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60060 on: June 02, 2020, 07:30:39 pm »
That's totally lame that. I've seen some shit in my time but that was 100% CBA and nothing else.  :palm:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60061 on: June 02, 2020, 07:30:58 pm »
@mnem, of course you can have them, I have no use for them myself  :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Online nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60062 on: June 02, 2020, 07:36:35 pm »
Meter was in a filthy state, I knew that from the photo, however considering the previous owner was a retired electrical engineer I'm amazed to see that the AC volts range is just way out of spec, AC mains measures 237v on my other meters but 252 on the Avo so that requires some investigation as do the supplied grabbers on the probes, all bent out of shape, just as well I only paid £15 for it then.

Possibly not a calibration issue - https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/show-us-your-mains-waveform!/msg3086674/#msg3086674

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #60063 on: June 02, 2020, 07:46:32 pm »
I have no idea what this is but it looks interesting (not interesting enough for me to buy it though):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELECTRONIC-DEVELOPMENTS-Three-Field-Tachistopscope-JN-653/373070582481
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60064 on: June 02, 2020, 07:52:44 pm »
That's totally lame that. I've seen some shit in my time but that was 100% CBA and nothing else.  :palm:
I must admit, I knew I was taking a gamble buying anything on Gumtree without seeing it first but at the price, I thought it was well worth a punt, but that packaging shocked me and it also says that despite the crap protection, Hermes did take good care of it apart delivering it to the wrong house. SWMBO did say that she saw a van pull up and a man jumped out and dropped it at the neighbours. This explains why it went there and was not correctly delivered, because our usual driver is lady, driving her own car. I therefore deduce that she was not available today  :palm:

It also came with a RS 150A clamp-on add-on for DMM's part no. 610-203 but it is an old part number and of course, no available data on it. If I can find some data for it, it would possibly be a useful add-on for the bench meters as the plug spacings are the right pitch for them.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 08:29:04 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #60066 on: June 02, 2020, 08:19:56 pm »
I missed a whole bag of those connectors at a hamfest here for £5. Should have bagged them. Alas I was already heavily burdened with crud and my arms were about to fall off.

The first time I saw them in person was at the TRW Swap Meet out in Lawndale, CA a few years back.  At that point I had no use for them, so while regarding them as a curiosity, I had no reason to buy any.  Two hours later at Apex Electronics, I bought a Tek 191 Signal Generator and 106 Square Wave Generator, both of which have GR-874 connectors.  Of course the next two or three times a trip coordinated with the swap meet, the guy who had the connectors wasn't there.   :palm:

I eventually found some on ebuy.

-Pat

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #60067 on: June 02, 2020, 08:59:31 pm »
Decided to go back to RAF Lakenheath and RAF Mildenhall yesterday as the weather forecast was good and the wind direction also was favourable in order to get some top shots of the F15's as they fly towards the group of photographers, some pilots will tip a wing to us those to give sought after top shots brilliantly lit in the early morning sunshine...

Some gorgeous shots there Spec. Thanks for taking the time to share.  :-+

Indeed! Spec, you keep posting 'em and I'll keeping adding 'em to the POI Potpourri.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #60068 on: June 02, 2020, 09:07:22 pm »

I have one GR874 to BNC female adapter. They are available on Ebay but demand stupid prices.

I, too, have just one such adapter, which came with my 191. What will come next? Another adapter or another device that needs it? Hmm...
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60069 on: June 02, 2020, 09:28:28 pm »

Possibly not a calibration issue - https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/show-us-your-mains-waveform!/msg3086674/#msg3086674
Nah, it is 100% a calibration issue, just checked it with other Avo's, they read it as 240V, fair enough, but the Mk5 now reads it as nearer to 260V which means that R18 is too low. It should be 400K. According to the service manual, the same resistor is also used on the 30Vdc range and if that reads high, it also means R18 is too low. Measuring 32V output of bench power supply reads 50V, so its a strip out and measure all the resistors for tolerance and replace as required.  :o
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60070 on: June 02, 2020, 10:47:47 pm »
I must admit, I knew I was taking a gamble buying anything on Gumtree without seeing it first but at the price, I thought it was well worth a punt, but that packaging shocked me and it also says that despite the crap protection, Hermes did take good care of it apart delivering it to the wrong house. SWMBO did say that she saw a van pull up and a man jumped out and dropped it at the neighbours. This explains why it went there and was not correctly delivered, because our usual driver is lady, driving her own car. I therefore deduce that she was not available today  :palm:

It also came with a RS 150A clamp-on add-on for DMM's part no. 610-203 but it is an old part number and of course, no available data on it. If I can find some data for it, it would possibly be a useful add-on for the bench meters as the plug spacings are the right pitch for them.
This current clamp is almost certainly identical to either the Metrawatt WZ-11/WZ-12A (current output. old /new designation) or the WZ-12B (voltage output, new desig.) There was also a Gossen and a Siemens designation for it. The newest versions have fixed leads, but this is the most seen type. All the current output variants are 1000:1, the voltage output would be 100mV/A.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #60071 on: June 03, 2020, 12:08:03 am »
@mnem, of course you can have them, I have no use for them myself  :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD

I'll collect them next time I'm in Derbyshire on... bidness.  >:D

mnem
*makes mental note to pack extra NATO 7.62 this time*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #60072 on: June 03, 2020, 12:11:20 am »

rarely does BD give me a chance to gloat. very very very rarely...

999556-0

from the last hamfest i attended, now a year ago. twenty dollars for the whole lot. the best part is that i actually use the damn things.  ;D
specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #60073 on: June 03, 2020, 12:21:32 am »

fate is a cruel mistress...

ten hours after boxing up the parts mule 184 i promised to another forum member, i found a working 184 for less than a hundred bucks shipped. which i bought, of course, because i am still annoyed at myself for trashing my first one and it is the missing piece in my 106/114/191/184 calibration setup. 

after he gets the parts mule, i hope i don't have to send him an email asking him to send a couple of parts from it back to me.  :palm:
specialization is for insects.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
« Reply #60074 on: June 03, 2020, 12:58:22 am »

fate is a cruel mistress...

ten hours after boxing up the parts mule 184 i promised to another forum member, i found a working 184 for less than a hundred bucks shipped. which i bought, of course, because i am still annoyed at myself for trashing my first one and it is the missing piece in my 106/114/191/184 calibration setup. 

after he gets the parts mule, i hope i don't have to send him an email asking him to send a couple of parts from it back to me.  :palm:

That's fate smiling smiting you for gloating over that box of GR connectors.    :P :P

:-DD

-Pat

<edit - stooped autocorrect!>
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 01:01:24 am by Cubdriver »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, worsthorse

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf