Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14882950 times)

rallyhard, Vince, Robert763 and 44 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #60225 on: June 05, 2020, 11:31:35 am »
It does appear to be complete with no broken knobs that I can see but it certainly is filthy. Are you sure it hasn't been immersed in water? It sure looks like it.  :palm:

In sewage water, you mean. ;)
Just cleaning it will be a heck of a job!

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60226 on: June 05, 2020, 11:35:02 am »
Wow, we got 2 hot cases of TEA addiction going here. Which will happen first? Run out of money or run out of room?  :-DD

I vote for floor collapse  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, syau, tonyalbus

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #60227 on: June 05, 2020, 11:41:49 am »
There is a nice LCR meter from HAMEG for sale in the bay (no affiliations with the seller - nawts)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133428476613

The display looks a lot like that of my Tonghui TH2822. And its name, TH2821, also hints that they're close relatives.
I'm very satisfied with mine. If it stays at 99 €, it's certainly a good deal.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #60228 on: June 05, 2020, 11:43:10 am »
Wow, we got 2 hot cases of TEA addiction going here. Which will happen first? Run out of money or run out of room?  :-DD

I vote for floor collapse  :-DD

A fellow in the same building as my office (does construction projects) took me quietly aside the other day. Wondered if I was aware there's a maximum load/m².

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, tonyalbus

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #60229 on: June 05, 2020, 11:47:35 am »
There is a nice LCR meter from HAMEG for sale in the bay (no affiliations with the seller - nawts)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133428476613

Wanted to take a look, but ebay.com is returning a 404 error at the moment??

McBryce.

Just checked right now. The link is working for me. Perhaps you can try this:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/1-St-TH-2821-LCR-Meter-HAMEG-s-g-Zustand-Lagerf-Z-36-/133428476613
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60230 on: June 05, 2020, 12:30:13 pm »

As for washing out scopes:

I know Martin does a "wet" cleaning of his scopes and he tried to encourage me to do the same when I brought the Type 535A home. But I just can't. It goes against my grain to spray down electronics with water. Seems so wrong.  :-DD
Linus does that, he puts keyboards into a dishwasher cycle and they survive OK.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60231 on: June 05, 2020, 12:32:03 pm »
Just now, I bought a 7104  ;D, which looked good, and was sold for $300.  Do I need to continue treatment? :palm:
(Attachment Link)
Oh hell yes, treatment never stops here. :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60232 on: June 05, 2020, 01:03:28 pm »
The Russians like to say that the F-15 victories were made against MIG's flown by other countries with lesser trained pilots and if those pilots had been Russian the outcome would have been different.

Bullshit. We faced the Russians before once confirmed and possibly a 2nd time unconfirmed and beat their drunk behinds. First time was Korea. You think those brand spanking new MIG-15's were flown by Koreans or Chinese? Nope, and after years of suspicion the truth was confirmed. Despite the F-86 being a little outclassed by the MIG-15 the kill ratio was very much in our favor. Tactics, training, and the aircraft itself all played a role.

2nd time as been unconfirmed. Vietnam. Yep, that cluster fuck. During the bombing of North Vietnam the F-105's, which were loaded to the gills with bombs, were being picked off by North Vietnam AF with brand new MIG-21's. But every time the F-4's showed up to assist they would scatter and return to base and we were not allowed to attack their bases for fear of killing Russians and Chinese “advisors”.
But we got them. They took the F-4's and equipped them with F-105 transponders and flew same route as the F-105's would. The MIG-21's came up and got a nasty surprise. The F-4 is heavy, had no gun at the time, and the missiles were unreliable. Approx half of their fleet of MIG-21's never returned to base. Were they Russian pilots? Who knows but I'd lay odds at least some were. And guess what? The MIG-21's never came up again. They went chicken shit and stayed on the ground.   ::)       
Totally agree, there is no substitute for training, those F15s are out in force almost 5 days a week flying maybe 3 to 5 sorties a day which consists of, practising low level through the Mack Loop in Wales, Dog fighting, bombing range in the Wash or in flight refuelling with tankers from Mildenhall, and they go out on duty tours around the world. There are 3 squadrons at Lakenheath and each squadron be away for 6 weeks at a time on front line service and the other 2 remain here training so they are always ready for action if needed. Compare them to any Royal Air Force base, which on any day you will be lucky to see even a training flight.

But now that the RAF is taking deliveries of the F-35 shouldn't they be out there perhaps flying them rather than trying to hack the software?   :P :-DD

Or hack the maintenance chain. Last I heard our F35 engines were going to be serviced in Turkey.
I'm not to sure about that, they have built some extremely expensive maintenance workshops at RAF Marham and currently building the same at Lakenheath ready for the deployment of F35's there to replace the F-15C's next year.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 01:09:49 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #60233 on: June 05, 2020, 01:13:06 pm »
Well, it was inevitable...

There's another bidder on the Fluke 8300A, with a day to go. No doubt there are also snipers lurking  >:(
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60234 on: June 05, 2020, 01:29:41 pm »
Not guilty if that’s any consolation.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #60235 on: June 05, 2020, 01:50:57 pm »
Just because you feel no guilt does not mean you aren't the guilty party.    :-DD

mnem
 >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #60236 on: June 05, 2020, 02:04:25 pm »
Or hack the maintenance chain. Last I heard our F35 engines were going to be serviced in Turkey.
Turkey was kicked out of the program for obtaining Russian S-400 systems and having warm ties with the regime. They are worried Turkey could serve as a laboratory to figure out how to detect F35s with Russian kit.

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2019/07/17/turkey-officially-kicked-out-of-f-35-program/

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60237 on: June 05, 2020, 02:25:42 pm »
Just because you feel no guilt does not mean you aren't the guilty party.    :-DD

Definitely not the guilty party this time :(

Investment is strictly limited to business purposes only in the short term at least. Thus I'm looking at CPUs again and trying to work out if it's worth swapping the 2600X out for a 3700X. Another couple of cores would give me more VM resource and some more grunt but it's a fairly large wedge and I bought myself a nice 27" 4k monitor this month already :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60238 on: June 05, 2020, 02:27:14 pm »
Turkey was kicked out of the program for obtaining Russian S-400 systems and having warm ties with the regime. They are worried Turkey could serve as a laboratory to figure out how to detect F35s with Russian kit.

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2019/07/17/turkey-officially-kicked-out-of-f-35-program/

Good news! Fuckers shouldn't be trusted to hold their own dicks.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60239 on: June 05, 2020, 02:39:31 pm »
It is impossible to determine through the photo, the answer will be clear only when the case is opened.  :-BROKE Based on past experience (purchasing more than 20 oscilloscopes), I believe that perhaps no one will throw such expensive instruments into the water. :-DD

(image shamelessly snurched from PA)

:-DD   Oh my.... you actually had me going for a second there...   :clap:

mnem
For those who want to play along... I've included a blank version of the original below. >:D
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 02:48:40 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline jxjbsd

• Regular Contributor
  • 喜欢电子技术的网络工程师
« Reply #60240 on: June 05, 2020, 02:42:25 pm »
One will always happen first, usually the room.  After all, old equipment won't cost much money.  Before the money runs out, will the wife be a problem?   :palm: How does your wife tolerate TEA?
Analog instruments can tell us what they know, digital instruments can tell us what they guess.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60241 on: June 05, 2020, 02:46:36 pm »
That's a sore point at the moment  >:(

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60242 on: June 05, 2020, 02:54:08 pm »

Definitely not the guilty party this time :(

Investment is strictly limited to business purposes only in the short term at least. Thus I'm looking at CPUs again and trying to work out if it's worth swapping the 2600X out for a 3700X. Another couple of cores would give me more VM resource and some more grunt but it's a fairly large wedge and I bought myself a nice 27" 4k monitor this month already :-DD

Come over to the Zen2 side; we have cookies. With half the latency.  >:D

mnem
Bandwidth: It's what's for dinner.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline jxjbsd

• Regular Contributor
  • 喜欢电子技术的网络工程师
« Reply #60243 on: June 05, 2020, 02:59:39 pm »

It is impossible to determine through the photo, the answer will be clear only when the case is opened.  :-BROKE Based on past experience (purchasing more than 20 oscilloscopes), I believe that perhaps no one will throw such expensive instruments into the water. :-DD

mnem
For those who want to play along... I've included a blank version of the original below. >:D

I need to learn English because Google Translate cannot recognize pictures. :palm:

Our eBAY is called Taobao, but the problem of shopping for addiction seems to be worldwide
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 03:21:00 pm by jxjbsd »
Analog instruments can tell us what they know, digital instruments can tell us what they guess.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #60244 on: June 05, 2020, 03:04:34 pm »
I'm not to sure about that, they have built some extremely expensive maintenance workshops at RAF Marham and currently building the same at Lakenheath ready for the deployment of F35's there to replace the F-15C's next year.

And, ISTR, in St Athan near Cardiff.

"Turkey was selected by the US department of defence's joint programme office, based near the Pentagon, to provide "deep maintenance" and repair of engines for all F-35 aircraft based in Europe"
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39501299

But then a couple of years later...

"The U.S. has removed Turkey from the F-35 joint strike fighter program, and Turkey will lose its production work on the jet by March 2020, following its acceptance of the S-400 Russian-made air defense system last Friday."
EDIT: I see others have found that article too.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 03:06:58 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60245 on: June 05, 2020, 03:08:49 pm »

mnem

You see that's why I come here. It's not just the TE. You're all enablers  >:D

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #60246 on: June 05, 2020, 03:10:40 pm »
One will always happen first, usually the room.  After all, old equipment won't cost much money.  Before the money runs out, will the wife be a problem?   :palm: How does your wife tolerate TEA?

No wife here so that is not an issue. I am the master of my own destiny.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60247 on: June 05, 2020, 03:12:20 pm »

mnem

Honestly even a 3600, which are cheap as chips, would feel like twice the machine compared to a 2600. But may as well be hanged for a sheep as a lamb, etc... ;)

mnem
baa-aa.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 07:42:12 pm by mnementh »

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #60248 on: June 05, 2020, 03:14:56 pm »

mnem

Not at all. If I were an enabler I'd link to mindfactory.de rather than mentioning it

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60249 on: June 05, 2020, 03:15:31 pm »

mnem

I need to learn English because Google Translate cannot recognize pictures. :palm:

Oh... sorry. - 哦对不起  :-[

Gabriel: Nobody would throw such a priceless instrument in the water. -  没有人会把这种无价的工具丢在水里。

Tycho: Oh, precious child. You will be food for eBay's wolves. - 亲爱的孩子,您将成为eBay狼的食物。

That's as close as I could get. Much of the tone is lost in translation.  :-\ - 那是我所能做的最好的。大部分语气在翻译中迷失了。

mnem
 :-+

The following users thanked this post: jxjbsd

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf