Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14406110 times)

Kosmic, salvagedcircuitry, med6753 and 23 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #62275 on: July 01, 2020, 09:45:26 pm »
She can’t hold larger handsets unfortunately  :(. SE has XR brain in iPhone 7 form factor. Also she has an iPad anyway.

I’d have picked an XR otherwise as that’s my daily driver as well. Damn near perfect bit of kit.

I buy the handsets in cash here and use separate SIM contracts. Network tie in and leases are all shit. Costs 15 GBP for 10Gb and free calls and SMS anywhere (20 for 80GB). I use about 5Gb a month
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 09:47:16 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #62276 on: July 01, 2020, 09:46:09 pm »
Either that, or it's POSSIBLE it was plugged into a worn-out outlet; the melted prong suggests that possibility.

That's what I was thinking as far as the plug end goes, that looks like it might have been caused by poor outlet connecting making that pin a little extra warm.... I've seen that enough times.

UPDATE: As an aside, while I was refreshing the 502 gateway error here trying to post this reply, the doorbell rang....

Dude in unmarked white minivan ding-donged with package for drussell.   8)

Ok, DHL, you get a +1 on this one....

Delivered a day ahead of schedule, on a national holiday, less than 24h after actually getting picked up in NY?
I'll call that an unqualified success.  :) 

Yay!  Thank heavens for small miracles, folks.   I suppose there is hope, after all!  ;D

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #62277 on: July 01, 2020, 09:49:52 pm »
I buy the handsets in cash here and use separate SIM contracts. Network tie in and leases are all shit. Costs 15 GBP for 10Gb and free calls and SMS anywhere (20 for 80GB). I use about 5Gb a month

That's generally by far the smartest way to do it...

Most people just can't afford to shell out (or don't want to be reminded how much their phone costs?) the whole swack for the phone so they go on a silly contract setup where half of the time they essentially pay for their phone twice.... 

but I digress again...  :)

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #62278 on: July 01, 2020, 09:58:09 pm »
I normally buy a used previous generation gizmo (like the Pixel XL) for a hundred (delivered to the apartment in Waikiki, courtesy of Craigslist)
and a prepaid SIM for a few buckos. That one was 65 Bucks in Hawaii for a month, but unlimited overseas calls plus shitloads of data.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62279 on: July 01, 2020, 10:38:15 pm »
I go current gen Apple now every two years because I need 24/7 phone availability. Company grants us enough to pay for that and some other kit. I’m not turning down free money. The buggers even paid for that refurb Aeron I got recently  :-+

That's generally by far the smartest way to do it...

Most people just can't afford to shell out (or don't want to be reminded how much their phone costs?) the whole swack for the phone so they go on a silly contract setup where half of the time they essentially pay for their phone twice.... 

but I digress again...  :)

People got told for 20 years through the 90s and 00s that debt was good and they still haven’t worked out it was a big con. The thing that gets me is when they go smashing their phone 6 months into a 24 month contract with no cover and spend 18 months using a mandoline daily. Then immediately when an upgrade carrot is dangled go and jump right in and do the same again  :palm:.

Going back 6 years or so when I was in the office environment regularly, literally everyone who didn’t have a company phone had smashed android phones.  :palm: :palm:

Annoyingly this one would be covered by my insurance if it was less than 36 months old  :palm:

Edit: this pales in comparison to private service contracts on test gear though from experience. Glad that was my job only for a few weeks  :-DD
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 10:41:04 pm by bd139 »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #62280 on: July 01, 2020, 11:09:10 pm »
She can’t hold larger handsets unfortunately  :(. SE has XR brain in iPhone 7 form factor. Also she has an iPad anyway.

I’d have picked an XR otherwise as that’s my daily driver as well. Damn near perfect bit of kit.

Too bad she can't handle a larger handset; you'd think larger buttons would be easier, but of course that's just backseat driving.  ;)

Costwise that lease isn't a bad deal; $216 for 18 months in your pocket is chump change. Would get AppleCare on it tho, just like you.  >:D

Just because the A13 is out doesn't make the A12 any kind of a slouch; my daughter's iPad has it and she routinely has 20-30 open apps all the time. It's not until she gets up around 30-40 that it starts to gag and she has to hand it to me to cull the herd.  :-DD

mnem
*out doing walkies with my daughter*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62281 on: July 01, 2020, 11:21:14 pm »
Either that, or it's POSSIBLE it was plugged into a worn-out outlet; the melted prong suggests that possibility.

That's what I was thinking as far as the plug end goes, that looks like it might have been caused by poor outlet connecting making that pin a little extra warm.... I've seen that enough times.

UPDATE: As an aside, while I was refreshing the 502 gateway error here trying to post this reply, the doorbell rang....

Dude in unmarked white minivan ding-donged with package for drussell.   8)

Ok, DHL, you get a +1 on this one....

Delivered a day ahead of schedule, on a national holiday, less than 24h after actually getting picked up in NY?
I'll call that an unqualified success.  :) 

Yay!  Thank heavens for small miracles, folks.   I suppose there is hope, after all!  ;D

It's because we all did all the suffering FOR YOU.  >:D

mnem
"You're welll-commmme..."  ;D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: drussell

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #62282 on: July 02, 2020, 01:40:11 am »
Thanks guys, for all your help in solving this,   these things you need to do right the first time, it was a huge help!
a lot of expiriance here in this group.

Congrats, Tony, on a very good outcome. The replacement analyzer not only looks complete, it looks like it's even got extra cladding attached for protection. When they said they would send you the best one they had, they weren't kidding.

Yes, responding quickly and with sufficiently intimidating support can make a difference. May your growing experience serve you well as a video ambassador of TEA. :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, tonyalbus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62283 on: July 02, 2020, 01:43:29 am »
   ...ATX Power Distribution Board.
Quality, especially that of the binding posts, is not stellar. But the design is solid, the PCB seems heavy enough and I've long wanted one of these for random purposes. The fuse slots also make a convenient place to pop a ammeter in circuit.  :-+

mnem
*toddles off to ded*
Congrats on some successful toy arrivals. That breakout board is a nice idea.
That ATX breakout is pretty cool. *me wants*

It's cheap as chips, guys...   ;D

http://www.diymalls.com/XH-M229-Desktop-Chassis-Power-Supply-ATX-Adapter-Takeout-Board

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20200701054035&SearchText=XH-M229

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=XH-M229&_sacat=0&_sop=15

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=XH-M229&s=price-asc-rank&qid=1593611399&ref=sr_st_price-asc-rank

I figured for ~$4, even if I had to re-solder every connection it would be worth it just for the board & connectors. Still feel it was worth it, even after the month-long wait due to Canada Porscht.   :-+

It's good to know about these "cheap as chips" items to keep as fodder when you've got eBay bucks to spend or a minimum purchase threshold for a coupon. Adding to my fodder list.

• Super Contributor
Re: mnem's Bench: MasTech MS-8911 LCR Tweezer Mini-Review
« Reply #62284 on: July 02, 2020, 01:59:25 am »

So... yesterday's Canada Post had 2 packages; it was package number B that REALLY made me go SQUEEEE!!!

Thanks for the review, mnem. The industrial design and execution looks great on this (if you're right handed; which, I am). I guess I will have to keep my eyes peeled for a deal on one. :-+

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #62285 on: July 02, 2020, 03:24:15 am »
I have started looking into aligning the 585A. Vertical alignment seems excellent, timebase alignment not so much. Lucky I have a freshly repaired and aligned Type 184! I was doing great till I got to the point of adjusting the .05 uS/cm setting. It seems someone before me fuxxored C348, which is the variable cap that adjusts the sweep rate for this setting. The screwdriver slot is totally broken off from the internals...it just spins.   :palm: :-- :--

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62286 on: July 02, 2020, 04:33:51 am »

Another notch on the belt... the boi's first night of gin Rummy.  >:D

Of course we stayed up way past the boi's bedtime as any good card game will; mother stomped us both, and yes, those ARE Star Wars themed playing cards.  ;)

mnem
Gotta start 'im off right... :-DD

Online med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #62287 on: July 02, 2020, 04:49:55 am »
I have started looking into aligning the 585A. Vertical alignment seems excellent, timebase alignment not so much. Lucky I have a freshly repaired and aligned Type 184! I was doing great till I got to the point of adjusting the .05 uS/cm setting. It seems someone before me fuxxored C348, which is the variable cap that adjusts the sweep rate for this setting. The screwdriver slot is totally broken off from the internals...it just spins.   :palm: :-- :--

Good thing the vertical amp is in alignment. You really don't want to mess with that cascaded type circuit unless you really have to.

I was wondering when you were going to find signs of Gorilla activity.  Magilla seems to get around.  :-DD It's a 3pf - 12pf trimmer. You should be able to come up with a replacement even if it isn't exact. As long as it covers most of that range you should be OK. 

Edit.....I have some parts only plug-in's here. I'll check later today and see if one of them has a trimmer cap close to that value.

2nd edit.....post 6000!  :phew: ;D
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 05:03:19 am by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #62288 on: July 02, 2020, 05:02:40 am »

Good thing the vertical amp is in alignment. You really don't want to mess with that cascaded type circuit unless you really have to.

I was wondering when you were going to find signs of Gorilla activity.  Magilla seems to get around.  :-DD It's a 3pf - 12pf trimmer. You should be able to come up with a replacement even if it isn't exact. As long as it covers most of that range you should be OK. 

Edit.....I have some parts only plug-in's here. I'll check later today and see if one of them has a trimmer cap close to that value.

Yeah, it had to be somewhere. At least this one is an easy to get to... some of the others are buried pretty deep.

Thanks, that would be awesome if you have one. Feel free to drop me a message if you do and I’ll send you my address and such.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #62289 on: July 02, 2020, 07:13:08 am »
People got told for 20 years through the 90s and 00s that debt was good and they still haven’t worked out it was a big con.

It started in the mid 70s with credit cards. It really got going in the mid 80s.

Fortunately my father taught me that borrowing was "OK" for two things: a house and a kitchen stove. I didn't borrow for the latter, I took a neighbours second hand stove (and passed that onto someone else setting up their first house.

I was able to teach my daughter that "credit cards" should really be called "debt cards", and that debt means you have put your sensitive bits in the palm of someone else's hand.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62290 on: July 02, 2020, 07:40:10 am »

Too bad she can't handle a larger handset; you'd think larger buttons would be easier, but of course that's just backseat driving.  ;)

Costwise that lease isn't a bad deal; $216 for 18 months in your pocket is chump change. Would get AppleCare on it tho, just like you.  >:D

Just because the A13 is out doesn't make the A12 any kind of a slouch; my daughter's iPad has it and she routinely has 20-30 open apps all the time. It's not until she gets up around 30-40 that it starts to gag and she has to hand it to me to cull the herd.  :-DD

mnem
*out doing walkies with my daughter*

Oh yes it’s got AppleCare. Incidental cost is £25 for a smashed screen then  :-D

A12 is a remarkable CPU. I recently replaced my 2013 iPad Air (still going) with one of the 2020 iPad Pro units with the A12Z in it. This ended up replacing both my laptop and the old iPad. The damn thing benchmarks the same as an i7-7700k!

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62291 on: July 02, 2020, 07:44:10 am »
People got told for 20 years through the 90s and 00s that debt was good and they still haven’t worked out it was a big con.

It started in the mid 70s with credit cards. It really got going in the mid 80s.

Fortunately my father taught me that borrowing was "OK" for two things: a house and a kitchen stove. I didn't borrow for the latter, I took a neighbours second hand stove (and passed that onto someone else setting up their first house.

I was able to teach my daughter that "credit cards" should really be called "debt cards", and that debt means you have put your sensitive bits in the palm of someone else's hand.

Credit cards are great. If you get a zero interest period one and pay the bill. One extra layer of purchase protection and you can keep the cash you would have spent in a high interest investment instead!

I haven’t paid a penny to a credit card company in a decade.

This is how I was running my TE purchases for the last two years or so.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #62292 on: July 02, 2020, 07:55:11 am »

Credit cards are great. If you get a zero interest period one and pay the bill. One extra layer of purchase protection and you can keep the cash you would have spent in a high interest investment instead!

I can't be arsed to faff around like that. But the purchase protection is a benefit, and is the reason I finally got my first credit card when I was ~30, IIRC.

I also requested (and recieved) a 2.5 times higher credit limit to cover paying for the specific purchase for which I got the card.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #62293 on: July 02, 2020, 08:58:39 am »
Yup!      INDEED!

You think you'll be able to get the smashtastic one patched up and working 100%, maybe flip it? Or just gonna pull a mnem and stick it in the back closet as a parts mule...?

mnem
I found 2700 pics I need to sort while I was packing today.   |O

Yes doubting.. if i flip it and later this one breaks... i will be so sorry .... porb. pull a mnem
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #62294 on: July 02, 2020, 09:02:21 am »
   ...ATX Power Distribution Board.
Quality, especially that of the binding posts, is not stellar. But the design is solid, the PCB seems heavy enough and I've long wanted one of these for random purposes. The fuse slots also make a convenient place to pop a ammeter in circuit.  :-+

mnem
*toddles off to ded*
Congrats on some successful toy arrivals. That breakout board is a nice idea.
That ATX breakout is pretty cool. *me wants*

It's cheap as chips, guys...   ;D

http://www.diymalls.com/XH-M229-Desktop-Chassis-Power-Supply-ATX-Adapter-Takeout-Board

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20200701054035&SearchText=XH-M229

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=XH-M229&_sacat=0&_sop=15

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=XH-M229&s=price-asc-rank&qid=1593611399&ref=sr_st_price-asc-rank

I figured for ~$4, even if I had to re-solder every connection it would be worth it just for the board & connectors. Still feel it was worth it, even after the month-long wait due to Canada Porscht.   :-+

It's good to know about these "cheap as chips" items to keep as fodder when you've got eBay bucks to spend or a minimum purchase threshold for a coupon. Adding to my fodder list.

also have a few on its way... saw some youpyoups on it..people trying to do this them selfs..intill i saw those... i needed to have it.. you are right..even all the connectors are worth it..
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62295 on: July 02, 2020, 09:17:58 am »

I haven’t paid a penny to a credit card company in a decade.

This is how I was running my TE purchases for the last two years or so.

Completely concur with you, I have paid interest in the past but very soon learned that was not a good idea. It also is not a very clever thing to keep swapping from one credit card as soon as the interest free period expires, for another one. All that achieves is to quickly get your credit rating reduced and then if you should ever really require some credit in an emergency, you successfully screwed yourself over. The best way of building your rating up, in case you ever need it, is to use your card as much as you can and then pay it in full at the next payment date.   :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #62296 on: July 02, 2020, 09:23:05 am »
egree my paypal is on klm amex..  every TE gives my also point for free upgrades, never paid any interestbe sure you pay on time and
protection from paypal and amex.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62297 on: July 02, 2020, 09:24:24 am »
Watch out using PayPal with credit cards. Turns into a blame game if you’re not careful between PP and the CC company.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62298 on: July 02, 2020, 09:45:20 am »
Yeah, I don't use CC with PayPal, I use their pay later option which gives 2 to 3 weeks interest free anyway, winner winner, chicken dinner.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #62299 on: July 02, 2020, 10:18:05 am »
video ambassador of TEA. i like that ... :)

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, mnementh

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf