Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14407419 times)

RolandK, salvagedcircuitry and 23 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #62300 on: July 02, 2020, 11:35:53 am »
revived a QNAP TS-419U+ which I got from a friend. It's syncing.

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #62301 on: July 02, 2020, 11:47:01 am »
Quick ... Throw it a life preserver!

* Ducks under desk *

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, AVGresponding

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #62302 on: July 02, 2020, 01:57:33 pm »
I have started looking into aligning the 585A. Vertical alignment seems excellent, timebase alignment not so much. Lucky I have a freshly repaired and aligned Type 184! I was doing great till I got to the point of adjusting the .05 uS/cm setting. It seems someone before me fuxxored C348, which is the variable cap that adjusts the sweep rate for this setting. The screwdriver slot is totally broken off from the internals...it just spins.   :palm: :-- :--

Good thing the vertical amp is in alignment. You really don't want to mess with that cascaded type circuit unless you really have to.

I was wondering when you were going to find signs of Gorilla activity.  Magilla seems to get around.  :-DD It's a 3pf - 12pf trimmer. You should be able to come up with a replacement even if it isn't exact. As long as it covers most of that range you should be OK. 

Edit.....I have some parts only plug-in's here. I'll check later today and see if one of them has a trimmer cap close to that value.

Yeah, it had to be somewhere. At least this one is an easy to get to... some of the others are buried pretty deep.

Thanks, that would be awesome if you have one. Feel free to drop me a message if you do and I’ll send you my address and such.

Here you go. 5.5pf - 18pf trimmer. Out of a 465 timing board. Not an exact match but should get you there. I tried testing it but not getting valid readings. The value is so small that stray capacitance is fooling the DMM. But I see no reason why it shouldn't be OK.

If you want it PM me and I'll get it in the mail tomorrow.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
Re: mnem's Bench: MasTech MS-8911 LCR Tweezer Mini-Review
« Reply #62303 on: July 02, 2020, 02:04:02 pm »

So... yesterday's Canada Post had 2 packages; it was package number B that REALLY made me go SQUEEEE!!!

As a result of goading by Kosmic (and because I felt a need for something NEW on the bench), I bought a MasTech 8911 just to see if it was as much better than my MS8910 as people say... 

Still waiting for mine. Everything is so slow these days.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #62304 on: July 02, 2020, 02:19:41 pm »
I have started looking into aligning the 585A. Vertical alignment seems excellent, timebase alignment not so much. Lucky I have a freshly repaired and aligned Type 184! I was doing great till I got to the point of adjusting the .05 uS/cm setting. It seems someone before me fuxxored C348, which is the variable cap that adjusts the sweep rate for this setting. The screwdriver slot is totally broken off from the internals...it just spins.   :palm: :-- :--

Good thing the vertical amp is in alignment. You really don't want to mess with that cascaded type circuit unless you really have to.

I was wondering when you were going to find signs of Gorilla activity.  Magilla seems to get around.  :-DD It's a 3pf - 12pf trimmer. You should be able to come up with a replacement even if it isn't exact. As long as it covers most of that range you should be OK. 

Edit.....I have some parts only plug-in's here. I'll check later today and see if one of them has a trimmer cap close to that value.

Yeah, it had to be somewhere. At least this one is an easy to get to... some of the others are buried pretty deep.

Thanks, that would be awesome if you have one. Feel free to drop me a message if you do and I’ll send you my address and such.

Here you go. 5.5pf - 18pf trimmer. Out of a 465 timing board. Not an exact match but should get you there. I tried testing it but not getting valid readings. The value is so small that stray capacitance is fooling the DMM. But I see no reason why it shouldn't be OK.

Sure the part is still OK ? Looks like from a slightly overpowered RF transmitter filter  >:D

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62305 on: July 02, 2020, 03:15:41 pm »
Ebay strikes again, well to be more precise, eBay sellers strike again. I won this insulation tester which was photographed working, oh hell yeah.

As soon as I received it I switched it on, nothing, so I opened it up expecting that the seller had removed the batteries, nope, what a disgusting mess I found. I took photos and opened up a dispute via eBay this afternoon within minutes of receiving it from the postman. Within 30 minutes I had a full refund and the seller has sent me a returns label, so I'll be sending it back tomorrow. I have asked him if he really wants me to return it or bin it, save him the job of doing it?

He was very apologetic though, saying that had been in the left while since he put the batteries in, and he thought that he tested it before sending it to me, this somehow I doubt, but at least it is resolved and speedily, I have been once to often by sellers who have played for time, so I don't give them the option now. :phew:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #62306 on: July 02, 2020, 03:21:38 pm »
People got told for 20 years through the 90s and 00s that debt was good and they still haven’t worked out it was a big con.

It started in the mid 70s with credit cards. It really got going in the mid 80s.

Fortunately my father taught me that borrowing was "OK" for two things: a house and a kitchen stove. I didn't borrow for the latter, I took a neighbours second hand stove (and passed that onto someone else setting up their first house.

I was able to teach my daughter that "credit cards" should really be called "debt cards", and that debt means you have put your sensitive bits in the palm of someone else's hand.

Credit cards are great. If you get a zero interest period one and pay the bill. One extra layer of purchase protection and you can keep the cash you would have spent in a high interest investment instead!

I haven’t paid a penny to a credit card company in a decade.

This is how I was running my TE purchases for the last two years or so.

Completely concur with you, I have paid interest in the past but very soon learned that was not a good idea. It also is not a very clever thing to keep swapping from one credit card as soon as the interest free period expires, for another one. All that achieves is to quickly get your credit rating reduced and then if you should ever really require some credit in an emergency, you successfully screwed yourself over. The best way of building your rating up, in case you ever need it, is to use your card as much as you can and then pay it in full at the next payment date.   :-+

Yeah.... the banksters and corporate types who actually run the world have a name for people like us who rarely use credit and when they do, pay it off as quickly as possible: deadbeats.

Because we're not fulfilling our role in the circle of life by giving them money just for the privilege of giving them money.  :palm:

mnem
"The problem with a paradigm shift is that the people at the top of the old paradigm generally tend to want to keep it that way. When they're the people who make all the guns and bombs, shit gets messy." ~mom
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 03:27:06 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62307 on: July 02, 2020, 03:27:37 pm »
People got told for 20 years through the 90s and 00s that debt was good and they still haven’t worked out it was a big con.

It started in the mid 70s with credit cards. It really got going in the mid 80s.

Fortunately my father taught me that borrowing was "OK" for two things: a house and a kitchen stove. I didn't borrow for the latter, I took a neighbours second hand stove (and passed that onto someone else setting up their first house.

I was able to teach my daughter that "credit cards" should really be called "debt cards", and that debt means you have put your sensitive bits in the palm of someone else's hand.

Credit cards are great. If you get a zero interest period one and pay the bill. One extra layer of purchase protection and you can keep the cash you would have spent in a high interest investment instead! I haven’t paid a penny to a credit card company in a decade.

This is how I was running my TE purchases for the last two years or so.

Yeah.... the banksters and corporate types who actually run the world have a name for people like us who rarely use credit and when they do, pay it off as quickly as possible: deadbeats.

Because we're not fulfilling our role in the circle of life by giving them money just for the privilege of giving them money.  :palm:

mnem
"The problem with a paradigm shift is that the people at the top of the old paradigm generally tend to want to keep it that way. When they're the people who make all the guns and bombs, shit gets messy." ~mom
In that case I'm perfectly happy to be a deadbeat, and out of debt  :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #62308 on: July 02, 2020, 03:27:49 pm »

Sure the part is still OK ? Looks like from a slightly overpowered RF transmitter filter  >:D

If you look very well it even says FRIES  :-DD
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: ArthurDent

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62309 on: July 02, 2020, 03:41:39 pm »
Ebay strikes again, well to be more precise, eBay sellers strike again. I won this insulation tester which was photographed working, oh hell yeah.

As soon as I received it I switched it on, nothing, so I opened it up expecting that the seller had removed the batteries, nope, what a disgusting mess I found. I took photos and opened up a dispute via eBay this afternoon within minutes of receiving it from the postman. Within 30 minutes I had a full refund and the seller has sent me a returns label, so I'll be sending it back tomorrow. I have asked him if he really wants me to return it or bin it, save him the job of doing it?

He was very apologetic though, saying that had been in the left while since he put the batteries in, and he thought that he tested it before sending it to me, this somehow I doubt, but at least it is resolved and speedily, I have been once to often by sellers who have played for time, so I don't give them the option now. :phew:

Now, now Spec; you know full well that it's entirely possible that thing actually still worked full of crusty batteries. I've seen it too many times... :o

Yeah, the guy definitely should have popped the battery cover off before shipping it out; but it is entirely possible (probable even, given just how much hard work it takes to make a living on fleaBay anymore) that it was a genuine oversight.

I guess my point is... It's a lot less stressful if you assume everybody is just doing the best they know how at the time, and that the few genuinely malicious sorts are not likely to be anywhere they can interact with YOU directly. Yes, fleaBay IS a breeding ground for those sorts... but still; most of the folks on there are poor suffering bastards just like us. :-//

mnem
"Don't assume malice for what ignorance alone can easily explain." ~grand-dad
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62310 on: July 02, 2020, 03:54:05 pm »

If you look very well it even says FRIES  :-DD

Looks to me like typical old-school heavy-silverplated components with typical 60 years of tarnish.  :-// Who cares what it looks like as long as it tests okay, which for this part, is pretty much anything not a short?

Poor med; just gets no respect.  ;)

Wrap a little tape around the edges to mask off the easily-scratched plastic and attack that with a brass detail brush; you'll have it looking like a new part in two jiffys.

mnem
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 03:57:05 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #62311 on: July 02, 2020, 03:57:52 pm »
Yep, that's all it is....old Tek corrosion. :-+ All of them have it, some worse than others.

Online Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #62312 on: July 02, 2020, 04:20:00 pm »
I can sense a recapping in the near future...

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #62313 on: July 02, 2020, 04:33:15 pm »
More work on the Type 106 Square Wave Generator. Taking my time with this project. Already had one near FUBAR and don't want any others. All that was done today was replace this lone can on chassis top by the output tubes. Then test. Was originally a dual 40uf/250V wired in parallel which was replaced with a single 82uf/250V.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster, Kosmic

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #62314 on: July 02, 2020, 04:47:58 pm »

Mmmmm, copper sulphate crystals, takes me right back to secondary school physics lessons...

Postie left a calling card today, so I'll pick up the FX951 on my way to work tomorrow morning. Seller will be getting 1 star for speed of dispatch, as it was supposed to be delivered 29-30, and they didn't even post it until late afternoon on the 30th, according to RM tracking.   >:(

Is this a rebadged Tek, or has med already had his hands on it?   ;)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/G168950-SMT-Max-CA4810A-Curve-Tracer-w-Test-Set/392858898377
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62315 on: July 02, 2020, 04:48:46 pm »

Now, now Spec; you know full well that it's entirely possible that thing actually still worked full of crusty batteries. I've seen it too many times... :o

Yeah, the guy definitely should have popped the battery cover off before shipping it out; but it is entirely possible (probable even, given just how much hard work it takes to make a living on fleaBay anymore) that it was a genuine oversight.

I guess my point is... It's a lot less stressful if you assume everybody is just doing the best they know how at the time, and that the few genuinely malicious sorts are not likely to be anywhere they can interact with YOU directly. Yes, fleaBay IS a breeding ground for those sorts... but still; most of the folks on there are poor suffering bastards just like us. :-//

mnem
"Don't assume malice for what ignorance alone can easily explain." ~grand-dad
Now then grand-dad  ;) The thing even has a low battery warning and displays "BATT" if the battery is getting low, therefore I knew that was clearly not a recent photo, especially given the particularly juicy corrosion that greeted me. So it is fair enough assumption that the battery might well have been years old even for all I knew. Anyway, I was very polite in my message to him about it and the reason for the method was to hedge ensure that it was seen to be fair all round.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #62316 on: July 02, 2020, 04:50:58 pm »
Quick ... Throw it a life preserver!

* Ducks under desk *

it will work just fine storing a friend's astro photographs that he is doing overnite with his 12" gizmo. Would like him to make a photo of the ISS and need to build something strong enough to illuminate that.

*hmmm*

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
Re: mnem's Bench: MasTech MS-8911 LCR Tweezer Mini-Review
« Reply #62317 on: July 02, 2020, 05:55:14 pm »

So... yesterday's Canada Post had 2 packages; it was package number B that REALLY made me go SQUEEEE!!!

As a result of goading by Kosmic (and because I felt a need for something NEW on the bench), I bought a MasTech 8911 just to see if it was as much better than my MS8910 as people say... 
Still waiting for mine. Everything is so slow these days.

Wanna come on down and play with mine for a while...? I'll BBQ up some pork chops and baked taters for dinner. >:D

mnem

"ROAD TRIP!!!"
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 06:18:13 pm by mnementh »

Online tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #62318 on: July 02, 2020, 06:25:55 pm »
My messy setup...

The Anritsu feels home i think...
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL

The following users thanked this post: edavid, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, syau

Online Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #62319 on: July 02, 2020, 06:28:36 pm »
Recapping the 2465. All the RIFAs are gone already. Now what? Get rid of all the PSU elcos? They actually look in decent shape.. What about the ones on the analog board? Do they suffer much? Should they be replaced? Don't look too bad either...

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #62320 on: July 02, 2020, 06:30:31 pm »
You really need to make sure that window is closed whenever it rains, tonyalbus.

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #62321 on: July 02, 2020, 06:41:18 pm »
I got it! Fresh NanoVNA V2. I went ahead and popped for their case, cables, and SOLT kit since I was purchasing from the official store. I certainly don't mind supporting their development efforts.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Brumby, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Online tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #62322 on: July 02, 2020, 07:04:11 pm »
You really need to make sure that window is closed whenever it rains, tonyalbus.

Well spotted, indeed, its very rare its open..
Thanks.. 

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62323 on: July 02, 2020, 07:07:01 pm »
Recapping the 2465. All the RIFAs are gone already. Now what? Get rid of all the PSU elcos? They actually look in decent shape.. What about the ones on the analog board? Do they suffer much? Should they be replaced? Don't look too bad either...

Med has an EXCELLENT article on doing the recap starting here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/tektronix-2465b-oscilloscope-teardown/msg1658102/#msg1658102

It breaks the regulator board and inverter board into 2 easily digestible sections in 2 posts.  :-+

Short version: You're going to replace all the electrolytics except the 2 huge blue axials. Also look for the little RIFAs & bead tants shown above and check those diodes (replace them all if any one is open or drastically different resistance than the others) and that resistor to make sure it hasn't shifted value, even if it doesn't LOOK toasted.

I've also attached a well-known .pdf of this service procedure from CondorAudio below; it is the source of the photo above. There are electrolytics on the A5 board that commonly fail causing electrolyte damage; it also has their locations. ;)   Capacitor BOM is here.

Good hunting!  :-+

mnem
 :-BROKE
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 12:23:56 am by mnementh »

Online tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #62324 on: July 02, 2020, 07:13:39 pm »

some sellers.......

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf