Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14549891 times)

ProtonFox and 26 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #62350 on: July 03, 2020, 10:54:47 am »
Well, racapped most of the PSU. Gonna call it "Symphony In Wuerth Red". Just a few piss ant small caps left, forgot the bag at home  :palm:.

All caps measure fine this far, not even below nominal. I know it doesn'tell the whome stoty (don't have an ESR meter). But still, in terms of job satisfaction this is pretty much a dud this far.

Looks very familiar.  ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #62351 on: July 03, 2020, 11:20:59 am »
<RANT>
I hate the German Telekom! Arrogant fucking incompetent bastards!
To be exact: I hate some of ther managers, which decides dumb things!

I need to connect the 6890 to the telephone line connection box. VoIP via LTE is not possible.

[...]

</RANT>

just use morse code with a sufficiently strong pulse laser. That will get their attention.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #62352 on: July 03, 2020, 11:27:02 am »
Those who survive the experience, maybe...  :o

mnem
" LASERS: Not just for mad scientists anymore."
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #62353 on: July 03, 2020, 11:52:55 am »
Mnem ... an exercise in consistency.  We can always trust you to take things just that little bit too far - but to entertaining degrees.

What worries me is that I like it.   :scared:   ;D

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #62354 on: July 03, 2020, 12:31:21 pm »
.......Snicker........ :P :P :-DD

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, mnementh, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62355 on: July 03, 2020, 01:19:43 pm »
And look at the state of America now  :-DD

I digress. We’re no better here.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #62356 on: July 03, 2020, 01:21:58 pm »
And look at the state of America now  :-DD

I digress. We’re no better here.

Hey, it was good for the first 200 years or so. But yes, it has gone to shit.  ::)

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #62357 on: July 03, 2020, 02:04:23 pm »
Well, racapped most of the PSU. Gonna call it "Symphony In Wuerth Red". Just a few piss ant small caps left, forgot the bag at home  :palm:.

All caps measure fine this far, not even below nominal. I know it doesn'tell the whome stoty (don't have an ESR meter). But still, in terms of job satisfaction this is pretty much a dud this far.

I believe it's electrolyte leaking on the traces that's the issue here, though I'm sure there are many ready to correct me if I'm wrong.

re: Brexit new and old, and Western politics generally; A wise man once said, "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance". Well, we took our eye off the ball and allowed the demagogues to take over the asylum again.
Since it's only happened, oh, every 3 or 4 generations or so, from the beginning of recorded history until now, we can not be forgiven for forgetting the consequences and allowing it to happen again.
(Content edited for purposes of irony)

The plot regarding the FX951 thickens. I picked the package up fro the Post Office this morning, and when I got home from work, opened it with some trepidation.
To my surprise, I found what appears to be pretty much a NIB item, with 4 tips, none of them used, 5 coils of 2mm desolder braid, a tube of Amtech 223 flux, and an iSesame spudger, all new, wrapped, and unused. Indeed, the power unit hasn't even had the sticky feet attached; they're still in a ziplock baggy with the sponge. The mains flex is not new however, but who cares...
The only fly in the otherwise pristine ointment is the absence of the control card, needed to change temperature settings, though I'm sure I can hack that in pretty short order, my guess is it's just a safety interlock type thing.
The ad did mention "no card" though I didn't know what that meant...    ::)

Does make me wonder if the slow dispatch speed was a case of seller's remorse. Typo on BIN price maybe?   :-//
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62358 on: July 03, 2020, 02:19:26 pm »
You're better off without the fuckin' thing; the way they made that lil' bastard, the card is right in your way anytime you want to change the handle, and you have to hold your hand in an awkward position to change the temp unless it's up on the shelf.  |O

If I'd been arsed to hack the stupid thing on mine, I might have discovered whatever fault it had BEFORE it died in a blazing fireball of toxic smoke.  :scared:

BTW, welcome to semi-civilized soldering iron country; let me know when you get tired of the mentally-defective firmware on that thing and want to convert to a nice user-friendly OLED T12 controller.  :-DD

mnem
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 02:29:25 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #62359 on: July 03, 2020, 02:32:44 pm »
Confirmed, the second Anritsu i can keep as a part unit, they don't want it back. 8)
i have a teardown and test if interested. ^-^
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: edavid, BU508A, mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62360 on: July 03, 2020, 02:34:48 pm »
You're better off without the fuckin' thing; the way they made that lil' bastard, the card is right in your way anytime you want to change the handle, and you have to hold your hand in an awkward position to change the temp unless it's up on the shelf.  |O

If I'd been arsed to hack the stupid thing on mine, I might have discovered whatever fault it had BEFORE it died in a blazing fireball of toxic smoke.  :scared:

BTW, welcome to semi-civilized soldering iron country; let me know when you get tired of the mentally-defective firmware on that thing and want to convert to a nice user-friendly OLED T12 controller.  :-DD

mnem

Plus 1 for the T12, I love mine. :-*
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #62361 on: July 03, 2020, 02:34:58 pm »
Fan wiring in an old HP bench power supply. I'm sure it didn't leave the factory like this. But who does something like that  :o

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #62362 on: July 03, 2020, 02:35:47 pm »
Fan wiring in an old HP bench power supply. I'm sure it didn't leave the factory like this. But who does something like that  :o (Attachment Link)

That looks perfectly save....
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #62363 on: July 03, 2020, 02:38:25 pm »

mnem

You keep bitching about your experiences with that Hakko and I have no issues with mine. Works fine.

Sounds like an operator issue to me.  :P :P >:D :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #62364 on: July 03, 2020, 02:39:04 pm »
Confirmed, the second Anritsu i can keep as a part unit, they don't want it back. 8)
i have a teardown and test if interested. ^-^

I predicted that.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #62365 on: July 03, 2020, 02:40:01 pm »
Fan wiring in an old HP bench power supply. I'm sure it didn't leave the factory like this. But who does something like that  :o (Attachment Link)

Gorillas in the Mist.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #62366 on: July 03, 2020, 02:41:34 pm »

Gorillas in the Mist.  ;D

It's a few mm away from the case. May even be a mains powered fan. I hardly dare look.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #62367 on: July 03, 2020, 02:42:26 pm »

The only fly in the otherwise pristine ointment is the absence of the control card, needed to change temperature settings, though I'm sure I can hack that in pretty short order, my guess is it's just a safety interlock type thing.

Does make me wonder if the slow dispatch speed was a case of seller's remorse. Typo on BIN price maybe?   :-//[/color][/size][/b]

Easily hacked. The card blocks photo diodes.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62368 on: July 03, 2020, 03:04:10 pm »
Mnem ... an exercise in consistency.  We can always trust you to take things just that little bit too far - but to entertaining degrees.

What worries me is that I like it.   :scared:   ;D

*bows before an appreciative audience*

mnem
};=)~~~~<
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 03:37:22 am by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62369 on: July 03, 2020, 03:12:48 pm »

mnem

You keep bitching about your experiences with that Hakko and I have no issues with mine. Works fine.

Sounds like an operator issue to me.  :P :P >:D :-DD

Naahhh... I have a wife to grind my testicles into a fine paste and set my workbench on fire; I don't need appliances for that.  :-DD

Glad to hear you're happy in at least one of your relationships, tho...   ;)

mnem
*adds item to bucket list: sneak into med's house and epoxy a red wig on his Hakko*
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 03:28:20 pm by mnementh »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62370 on: July 03, 2020, 03:23:37 pm »

Confirmed, the second Anritsu i can keep as a part unit, they don't want it back. 8)   i have a teardown and test if interested. ^-^

Good deal!  :-+

I suspect there's a reason the CRT hood on that just snaps on; quite likely they had a camera attachment for capturing the graph like Tek and their Polaroid monstrosities. ;)

mnem

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #62371 on: July 03, 2020, 03:38:49 pm »

Does make me wonder if the slow dispatch speed was a case of seller's remorse. Typo on BIN price maybe?   :-//[/color][/size][/b]

Easily hacked. The card blocks photo diodes.

Indeed, very simples, just any old piece of opaque card or plastic will do.

I'm surprised no-one else has spotted the reason for the low price yet. Took me half an hour before the penny dropped.

Listing pic:

Maybe that will clue you in.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62372 on: July 03, 2020, 03:46:37 pm »
   The plot regarding the FX951 thickens...   The only fly in the otherwise pristine ointment is the absence of the control card, needed to change temperature settings, though I'm sure I can hack that in pretty short order, my guess is it's just a safety interlock type thing. The ad did mention "no card" though I didn't know what that meant...    ::)

Does make me wonder if the slow dispatch speed was a case of seller's remorse. Typo on BIN price maybe?   :-//

Why? How much did you pay...? Something jammy-worthy...?   OIC... Yup, its a clone. Mine was NOT.  :palm:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3030721

This is what you're looking for, BTW. IIRC, you can also make one out of cardboard pretty quick.  :-+

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 03:49:18 am by mnementh »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62373 on: July 03, 2020, 03:58:12 pm »
Yeah smells like a clone. One reason I went with Metcal rather than Hakko. Lower risk. Was it advertised as a genuine or clone iron?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62374 on: July 03, 2020, 04:01:34 pm »
   Fan wiring in an old HP bench power supply. I'm sure it didn't leave the factory like this. But who does something like that  :o

I see some discoloring of the insulation suggestive of black tape goopy. Is it possible (the dwagon suggested, just for the sake of your sanity ;)) that said wannabe sparky taped it up and that tape dried out/fell off over the decades...?

mnem
 :bullshit:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf