Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14554307 times)

Wolfgang, BrianInTexas, Vince and 26 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #62425 on: July 04, 2020, 11:55:39 am »
It’s full of desperate fuckers at the moment trying to shift all their marginal shit. Makes us legit sellers look bad.

Just fucked up my knee running again. Undoing over 40 years of lazy = suffering  >:(
Gah, my son keeps doing that to his knee he fucked up before when he had to go to hospital for treatment on it. I think you both need to accept the fact that you aint young any more and things don't work quite as well, bits of us start hitting southwards, and just grow older gracefully and become wiser at the same time.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62426 on: July 04, 2020, 12:06:18 pm »
Yeah probably right  :-DD. Going to take a couple of weeks off doing anything. Can do hiking / walking etc just not high impact stuff now  :(

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #62427 on: July 04, 2020, 12:06:43 pm »
It’s full of desperate fuckers at the moment trying to shift all their marginal shit. Makes us legit sellers look bad.

Yeah; I'm only shifting small stuff ATM. I'd like to get more space by shifting larger stuff, but since I don't want to let them go, I've priced them too high. "Sell in May and go away, come back in September", as the old saying goes.

Just fucked up my knee running again. Undoing over 40 years of lazy = suffering  >:(

Skiers regard knees as "God's mistake". At least the old leather boots and long skis protected knees, albeit at the expense of breaking ankle bones on a very regular basis. Bones heal, soft tissue scars (at best).
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #62428 on: July 04, 2020, 12:48:12 pm »

I was running about 3 years ago after a long hiatus. I realized after a few weeks that it wasn't going to work out (too hard on my joints). I do though walk 2 -3 miles in a local mall every other day. I do this because it's too hot and humid now outside. The mall is nearly going under because of internet sales and the COVID. Almost all the stores are gone and it's eerily empty.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #62429 on: July 04, 2020, 12:52:53 pm »
Quick Update R&S NGB 32/10:

Seller agreed to refund me the 50 Euro I've asked for.  :-+
I'm aware, that if that had happened over ebay, things would have been better going for me, but I'm satisfied.
I'm glad, that this could be handled in a civilized way.
But before I can take care of this PSU I have to look after a RF remote control from a friend of mine.
Intermittend failure. One second it is working, the next second not.
I'm suspecting the receiver, because when I looked at the transmitter, all was well.

Oh dear ....
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #62430 on: July 04, 2020, 01:01:50 pm »

I'm aware, that if that had happened over ebay, things would have been better going for me, but I'm satisfied.

Thats good news, hope you can fix it, it looks to be in amazing shape on the outside
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #62431 on: July 04, 2020, 01:06:15 pm »
Found this rare and very nice counter from PHYWE (no affiliations with the seller):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/402314695006

I do expect, this thing will become really expensive because of the nice Nixie tubes in it.

I have it on my watchlist but I will not bid.
So, if somebody wants to give it a nice home and save it from the tube vultures, please go ahead.

It looks realy cool!!!
but i kind of run out of excuses to have yet an other frequency counter  :-DD
i like the NIXIES....
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #62432 on: July 04, 2020, 01:06:17 pm »

But before I can take care of this PSU I have to look after a RF remote control from a friend of mine.
I'm suspecting the receiver, because when I looked at the transmitter, all was well.

Oh dear ....

I have a sneaking suspicion there is a female involved here. Could be wrong but my spidey sense sez otherwise.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62433 on: July 04, 2020, 01:15:26 pm »

I was running about 3 years ago after a long hiatus. I realized after a few weeks that it wasn't going to work out (too hard on my joints). I do though walk 2 -3 miles in a local mall every other day. I do this because it's too hot and humid now outside. The mall is nearly going under because of internet sales and the COVID. Almost all the stores are gone and it's eerily empty.

Yeah similar here. Went to Bentall centre here (local large mall) a couple of weeks back and half the shops are closed permanently. The strip mall down the road from me is dead as well. As for walking in it, screw that. Full of chav scum here. Thank goodness the weather is mostly horrible here so waking is good  :-DD

Yeah 6 weeks in here with the running coming to the same conclusion. May stick to the walking. That was mostly injury and pain free!

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #62434 on: July 04, 2020, 01:27:19 pm »

Oh dear ....

I have a sneaking suspicion there is a female involved here. Could be wrong but my spidey sense sez otherwise.  :-DD

It is one of these things (example, on the right, in blue (sic!)   :-DD )
The receiver sits below this white cylinder, one can see the antenna on the right.

mounted to this nice machine (example):

It is a Schlüter Traktor, not sure about the exakt model.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #62435 on: July 04, 2020, 01:34:28 pm »
Found this rare and very nice counter from PHYWE (no affiliations with the seller):

I do expect, this thing will become really expensive because of the nice Nixie tubes in it.

So, if somebody wants to give it a nice home and save it from the tube vultures, please go ahead.

It looks realy cool!!!
i like the NIXIES....

Excuses? Who needs "excuses" if one can buy cool TE. With Nixies!!  :-+   :-DD

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62436 on: July 04, 2020, 01:37:31 pm »
Yeah similar here. Went to Bentall centre here (local large mall) a couple of weeks back and half the shops are closed permanently.

Is it a shopping centre now? When I was a kid it was a very large department store - with a wonderous door that opened when you interrupted a photoelectric beam :)

The Bentalls in Brizzle, now a Primark, was also a department store.

The strip mall down the road from me is dead as well.

The interesting phenomena here has been the resurgence of local stores. For a while the local post office was the place to get flour and facemasks. But that was when you could easily order a ton of flour but not 1kg, because the packaging was the limitation.

Yeah 6 weeks in here with the running coming to the same conclusion. May stick to the walking. That was mostly injury and pain free!

Cycling has the advantage that you can stress the leg as much or as little as you want, and favour one leg over the other. It is also superb for building up the quads, which helps knee stability.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #62437 on: July 04, 2020, 01:48:04 pm »

It looks realy cool!!!
i like the NIXIES....

Excuses? Who needs "excuses" if one can buy cool TE. With Nixies!!  :-+   :-DD

The nixies are the excuse...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #62438 on: July 04, 2020, 02:15:28 pm »
Took a break to clear off my workbench ...
* Makes note to do same *
* Lost note on workbench *    ::)
I clean my work areas and then they get piled up as quick as I jump into a new project.  :-DD

*sigh* Yeah, a never-ending cycle of projects that become parts mules for more projects...  :o

It's the Circle of Life, with angry pixies for punctuation. :-DD

mnem
And SWMBO looks on in amusement... >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #62439 on: July 04, 2020, 02:24:30 pm »
...And in other news, I'm damn impressed with the NanoVNA V2. Quite some capability in a small, cheap package. I need to find a battery for it (using a phone battery bank right now). Paired with desktop software like NanoVNA-saver, and you have a seriously capable and very portable VNA. Yeah, it doesn't have the dynamic range of a "real" VNA, but "real" VNAs also don't cost under $100.  :-DD

I can't wait until he releases one with a screen big enough for me to see... *wibble*  :o

mnem
IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?IzzitHereYet?!?
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #62440 on: July 04, 2020, 02:32:58 pm »
let go of one of my pinball machines, bye Indy.

Now need to help out a friend to construct some streaming servers.
His source has defaulted and he is obliged to deliver them.
WTF...

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62441 on: July 04, 2020, 02:35:09 pm »
Yeah similar here. Went to Bentall centre here (local large mall) a couple of weeks back and half the shops are closed permanently.

Is it a shopping centre now? When I was a kid it was a very large department store - with a wonderous door that opened when you interrupted a photoelectric beam :)

The Bentalls in Brizzle, now a Primark, was also a department store.

Yes it's still got a Bentalls on the end. They just knocked the rest down and built a normal template shopping mall on the end of it and above it. Also they built a massive and weird John Lewis over the road which is impossible to navigate the inside of with a wheelchair.

The strip mall down the road from me is dead as well.

The interesting phenomena here has been the resurgence of local stores. For a while the local post office was the place to get flour and facemasks. But that was when you could easily order a ton of flour but not 1kg, because the packaging was the limitation.

Not here. Local stores have cranked the prices. I paid £3 for 6 eggs the other day  :palm:. They were quite nice eggs, orange, huge and not runny, so I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I was screwed by them or not.

Cycling has the advantage that you can stress the leg as much or as little as you want, and favour one leg over the other. It is also superb for building up the quads, which helps knee stability.

That's on the list, once everyone has got fed up of their Covid panic bikes and has decided to get rid of them for pittance. It's really annoying as I had the cash stashed for a nice Trek 520 tourer but the buggers bought 'em all.  >:(

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #62442 on: July 04, 2020, 03:05:57 pm »
The re-cap of the Type 106 is done. All PSU voltages nominal and stable. But the same can't be said for the Bias control. Still very touchy. I'm going to let it burn-in for a few hours and then tomorrow do a complete calibration. Then assess the results.

Pat, I'll get the old cans sent to you early next week.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Kosmic

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62443 on: July 04, 2020, 03:06:18 pm »
Took a break to clear off my workbench ...

* Makes note to do same *

* Lost note on workbench *    ::)

Finds note in Kitchen but can't read as glasses on workbench. Goes to workroom, puts note down, finds glasses, forgets why he came into workroom, returns to Kitchen to retrace his steps. Forgets why in Kitchen, makes coffee and sandwich anyway, goes and sits in front of TV, puts reading glasses down on side table. Has nagging feeling that he's written himself a reminder, goes off to find it ...

Christmas 2020: Contents of workbench largely replaced by notes to tidy workbench, tools and parts scattered around house, SWMBO cataleptic in corner.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62444 on: July 04, 2020, 03:15:05 pm »

Oh dear ....

Judging from the pictures, it is even worse. There is a female AND heavy machinery involved.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #62445 on: July 04, 2020, 03:16:24 pm »
Just grabbed a pair of Type 82 plugins...one is a later serial number and is complete and the other is a bit lower serial number and is missing toobz. Figure I could either get it going again or rob it for parts.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #62446 on: July 04, 2020, 03:17:55 pm »
Also, due to other plans, I will not be in discord this afternoon. Have fun, and for those of you on this side of the pond have a happy and safe 4th and for those of you on the other side, have a fun "Brexit before Brexit was cool" day.  :-DD

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #62447 on: July 04, 2020, 03:26:49 pm »
Judging from the pictures, it is even worse. There is a female AND heavy machinery involved.
Trying our hardest to make the electronics community look like a bunch of old farts.  :-DD
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 03:57:00 pm by Mr. Scram »

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #62448 on: July 04, 2020, 03:32:11 pm »

Oh dear ....

I knew it!  :P :P :-DD

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62449 on: July 04, 2020, 03:34:32 pm »

That's on the list, once everyone has got fed up of their Covid panic bikes and has decided to get rid of them for pittance. It's really annoying as I had the cash stashed for a nice Trek 520 tourer but the buggers bought 'em all.  >:(

Neighbour flogs 'leccy bikes. Says the lead time is now after Christmas!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf