Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14552463 times)

TizianoHV, Vince, ProtonFox and 34 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #62450 on: July 04, 2020, 03:36:31 pm »
Wasn't there someone collecting mini scopes? Here is one:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Kyoritsu-Mini-Scope-Kew-3/313129632442

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62451 on: July 04, 2020, 03:53:24 pm »
Bought this Racal Dana 9904M today for €26. Just to fix up and for something to do. The missing button is a job for the 3D printer (and most likely all that's wrong with it).

McBryce.

30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: med6753, Kosmic, AVGresponding, tonyalbus

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62452 on: July 04, 2020, 03:53:39 pm »
+1 for letting them have it.

Why is it that I'm picturing you sat knitting in the Place de la Révolution when you say that?
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #62453 on: July 04, 2020, 03:54:55 pm »
Also, due to other plans, I will not be in discord this afternoon. Have fun, and for those of you on this side of the pond have a happy and safe 4th and for those of you on the other side, have a fun "Brexit before Brexit was cool" day.  :-DD

I won't be on Discord later either. Going to visit Son and grand kids and have a 4th of July cookout.  :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline mendip_discovery

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #62454 on: July 04, 2020, 03:55:15 pm »
So I am new here, first time posting here in TEA.

So randomly looking at eBay one evening and I spotted a bit of test gear for testing Clare Flash Testers. I have the task of calibrating these at work and the chance to get a bit of kit for actually testing them was beyond tempting.

Next thing I know I had bought a Clare V142 Calibration Test Set, followed shortly by some other bits such as a Resistance and Capacitance box. Not sure why other than its nice to have some stable things to check my new multimeter against (more of that later).

I can’t seem to find much info on this unit as Clare has been bought out and is now owned by Seaward. Though I did find a page referring to a Seaward V242
https://www.tequipment.net/SeawardV242.html

V242 Calibration Check Unit
    The V242 is intended for on-site verification of the Clare range of electrical safety testers. It is recommended that this instrument is returned to Clare Instruments for annual re-calibration.

The V242 is capable of checking the following parameters.

GROUND CIRCUIT RESISTANCE
    90, 115, 450, and 575 mΩ (Calibration limits ± 5% of value)
    HIPOT TEST VOLTMETER
    0 – 5000 Volts A.C. (Calibration limits ± 1.5% f.s.d.)
    0 – 2500 Volts D.C. (Calibration limits ± 1.5% f.s.d.)
    INSULATION RESISTANCE A.C. or D.C
    100 KW – 200 KW – 400 KW – 1 MW – 2 MW 5 MW – 10 MΩ – 20 MW. (Calibration limits ± 1%)
    50 MW (Calibration limit ± 3%) – 100 MW (Calibration limit ± 4%)

The flash trip value of 5 mA can be checked using the Insulation Resistance value of 200 KΩ, which will give a reading of 5 mA at 1000 Volts A.C. or D.C.

No facilities provided for checking live load modules, such as ammeters and wattmeters, fitted to many Clare test stations. Such modules should be checked using a good quality AC test set.

I did some quick checks and most of the resistances are good but the Low ohm earth ones aren’t so good but that is mostly due to my meter not being designed to measure that low and the unit being designed to have 25A running through those resistances. So unless I find a 25A power supply that I can use then measure the ohms in the same way you do with a shunt.

Annoyingly someone has stuck stickers on the instruction sheet, I am looking at how I might be able to remove them. The brass/copper connectors on the front are also in a rather poor condition so I thought I would open it up so I could give it a clean.

What will I use it for….I don’t quite know. Might take it on-site the next time I have a few of the old Clare flash testers to look at and see how it compares.
Motorcyclist, Nerd, and I work in a Calibration Lab :-)
--
So everyone is clear, Calibration = Taking Measurement against a known source, Verification = Checking Calibration against Specification, Adjustment = Adjusting the unit to be within specifications.

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62455 on: July 04, 2020, 04:04:03 pm »
The mystery of the YEW model 2441 aka 'the dodo' starts to clear up. <TERRA OPERATIVE> was able to wrangle a operator's instruction sheet out of Yokogawa.
There is just a tiny problem - it's Japanese. Duh. Time to start bothering any of Nippon's sons and daughters with getting a free translation. The problem is - I don't know any. I could find someone fluent in nearly any eastern european language and probably Spanish and maybe Portuguese too.
But Japanese? Going through any person of asian descent, I came up with a Filipino at work, a Taiwanese, Korean, a lady from Singapore.....dang! Could be Buryat ot Elamite as well.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62456 on: July 04, 2020, 04:05:56 pm »
Yeah probably right  :-DD. Going to take a couple of weeks off doing anything. Can do hiking / walking etc just not high impact stuff now  :(

Speaking as a man with two fucked knees the trick, garnered from seeing some very good physiotherapists, is keeping all the musculature around the knees good and strong so that it can provide support and stabilisation. In my case that boiled down to a routine involving exercises such as leg extensions, hamstring curls and the like while wearing ankle weights along with a few more general leg exercises such as thrusts, calf raises and similar. Once I'd got the knees reasonably stabilised I found I could keep the muscle condition up with some static cycling (needs to include some proper sprints for the strength aspect). For me that turned walking down stairs from a "Fuck! Ow! Shit! Ouch!" one step at a time experience to "Meh, can't go quite as fast as I could when I was 20" experience and turned a 100 yard sprint into a question of lung capacity, not knees failing me.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #62457 on: July 04, 2020, 04:28:30 pm »
OH, FFS. :palm: eevBlog fucking hates me.

mnem
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 03:26:42 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62458 on: July 04, 2020, 04:33:59 pm »

I was up at the butt-crack of dawn this morning, waiting on a Kijiji buyer for my Blind-Stitch machine... as I sat on the back porch sipping my coffee and looking out over the woodlot behind the-house-that-is-mine-for-a-couple-more-months, this half-a-century-old Charlie Brown story arc came to mind.

For once, the amazing power of the internet bore fruit; Google flexed a finger showing off a tiny measure of its might and "POINK!" out popped this .jpg right in the first few hits.

What a brave new world, indeed.

mnem
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 04:37:16 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #62459 on: July 04, 2020, 04:34:00 pm »
It’s full of desperate fuckers at the moment trying to shift all their marginal shit. Makes us legit sellers look bad.

Just fucked up my knee running again. Undoing over 40 years of lazy = suffering  >:(

Even if you've been exercising steadily for the last forty years, slow and steady is the name of the game when you get into your sixties.  Joints, ligaments, and tendons that old don't respond well to sudden shocks no matter how many decades you've been working out. That's especially true if, like me, you spent your twenties to forties frequently falling down while attached to a rope, bike, or skis.  If I miss a couple of months of regular exercise, I've learned the hard way that my re-start ramp must be very gentle.

PS - I don't do that sort of falling down stuff with the same, uh, reckless enthusiasm of my youth because it hurts more these days. Way way more.  :P
specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62460 on: July 04, 2020, 04:47:52 pm »
Yeah... I remember when I was young and bendy. And I ran, and ran, and ran for the sheer joy of it until I couldn't any more and fell down panting, laughing, with tears rolling down my cheeks...

mnem
...and then I got up and did it again. 

The following users thanked this post: worsthorse

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #62461 on: July 04, 2020, 04:49:30 pm »

I was up at the butt-crack of dawn this morning, waiting on a Kijiji buyer for my Blind-Stitch machine... as I sat on the back porch sipping my coffee and looking out over the woodlot behind the-house-that-is-mine-for-a-couple-more-months, this half-a-century-old Charlie Brown story arc came to mind.

For once, the amazing power of the internet bore fruit; Google flexed a finger showing off a tiny measure of its might and "POINK!" out popped this .jpg right in the first few hits.

What a brave new world, indeed.

mnem

Man, that's too deep. This is more like it.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, bd139

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #62462 on: July 04, 2020, 04:50:19 pm »

I logged onto ebay this morning and just stared at the blank search box. i couldn't come up with a single piece of test equipment I wanted. Not one. I think I need to check my temperature and go rest on the sofa for a while....

If I have recovered sufficiently, I will be on discord this afternoon.
specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, AVGresponding

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62463 on: July 04, 2020, 05:00:25 pm »

Taste the Rainbow, Bizzitches...

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2314755/#msg2314755

mnem
*This Blast from the Past Brought to you by FUKKITOL*
Ewww. Show it again when you got Staeubli. ;)   Also missing out on brown, violet, white, and grey.
Not missing out on them; those colors suck for wiring. Well, I can tolerate violet... however brown, white, and grey are nothing but fucking trouble.  :-DD

No, seriously... I had need of my heavy patch cables this afternoon for a high-current load on my 12V/1200W PSU. I was so very thankful I'd made all these 13ga soldering torture devices that I felt a need to revisit them.  >:D

mnem
*knocks self unconscious with a tortilla mallet*
Well, then I hope you did yourself the favor to apply anti-wicking measures when soldering them.

Nope. I used technique.  >:D

I formed the wires with exactly the right curve to fit inside the molded covers before tinning; this locks the silicone skin in place. With the molded covers preventing lateral movement, it acts as a strain relief.

This is how all those old-school test leads used to be made, only the point of egress for the wires is a wee bit further away from the solder joint. That just means you have to work hot & fast to prevent wicking from progressing too far up the lead. Technique.   :-+

Not my first rodeo... I have 30-year-old test leads made this way at both ends that are still in service.  :-/O

What about orange?

Orange sucks slightly less... but not WITH yellow in your wiring. Really should pick one or the other.   :P

But really... this is test/utility patch cables, not a wiring harness. ;)  In my case, the priority was to get as many 2-3m heavy-gauge slinky silicone patch cords as possible with a budget of ~US$40. I think I did pretty damned well.   8)

mnem
 :popcorn:

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62464 on: July 04, 2020, 05:04:31 pm »

I logged onto ebay this morning and just stared at the blank search box. i couldn't come up with a single piece of test equipment I wanted. Not one. I think I need to check my temperature and go rest on the sofa for a while....

If I have recovered sufficiently, I will be on discord this afternoon.
Whoa, that's serious! Will someone show him through some Tek and HP catalogues as first aid? Maybe some SRS, ESI, Time Electronics could help? That can't be good!

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62465 on: July 04, 2020, 05:05:28 pm »
pssssssst...   

mnem
You know you want to. >:D

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62466 on: July 04, 2020, 05:17:51 pm »
And of course a happy 4th of July to all you overseas!

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #62467 on: July 04, 2020, 05:25:13 pm »
You guys know the rules. If you hurt yourself with fireworks, be sure to film and post it!

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #62468 on: July 04, 2020, 05:30:20 pm »

...unless I find a 25A power supply that I can use then measure the ohms in the same way you do with a shunt.

Welcome to the madhouse!

These might be made to suit your purpose perhaps:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62469 on: July 04, 2020, 05:53:37 pm »

...unless I find a 25A power supply that I can use then measure the ohms in the same way you do with a shunt.

Welcome to the madhouse!

These might be made to suit your purpose perhaps:

And a 25A load?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #62470 on: July 04, 2020, 06:31:44 pm »

Welcome, mendip!

So randomly looking at eBay one evening and I spotted a bit of test gear...

Yep, that's how it begins. ;D

for testing Clare Flash Testers. I have the task of calibrating these at work and the chance to get a bit of kit for actually testing them was beyond tempting.

Next thing I know I had bought a Clare V142 Calibration Test Set, followed shortly by some other bits such as a Resistance and Capacitance box. Not sure why other than its nice to have some stable things to check my new multimeter against (more of that later).

I did some quick checks and most of the resistances are good but the Low ohm earth ones aren’t so good but that is mostly due to my meter not being designed to measure that low and the unit being designed to have 25A running through those resistances. So unless I find a 25A power supply that I can use then measure the ohms in the same way you do with a shunt.

Sounds like you need some more test gear. That's how it spreads... :-DD

Looking forward to seeing this tester. It's not something I've run across.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62471 on: July 04, 2020, 06:35:18 pm »
So... my Kijiji buyer bought... and I now have CAD$300 in my sweaty little hands.

Of course my eyes wander to the oscilloscopes tab always open in Kijiji... and what do I spy but a "NOB" Hantek DSO5202P for... CAD$300.

•2CH/200MHz bandwidth
•1GSa/s Real Time sample rate/Equivalent Sample:25GSa/s
•A/D:8 bit
•Memory Depth:40K
•Rise Time:1.7ns
•7.0-inch color display, WVGA(800x480)

At the same time, my local TE depot has a used Rigol S1102D for $175:

•2CH+16/100 MHz
•400 MS/s
•Real-Time:  13.65Sa/ s-1GSa/s Equivalent:  13.65Sa/ s-25GSa/s   
•Memory depth:1 MPts max (with lots of buts) 16Kpts multi
•A/D:8 bit
•Rise Time:3.5ns
•5.6-inch color display, 320x234

I kindof like the specs on the S1102D; sample rate and depth are better matched to its rated frequency. But then... no probes, and do I really want to put up with 2nd Gen Rigol slow buggy-ass FW and that crappy little screen...?

OTOH... is that Hantek DSO5202P going to be any better to use, aside from the larger display...?

I'm thinking of offering the guy CAD$200...

mnem
*wibble*
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 06:40:52 pm by mnementh »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #62472 on: July 04, 2020, 06:37:35 pm »

Welcome to the madhouse, or Hotel California as it is sometimes called.

If I go up the road from my house, I can see the Mendips :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62473 on: July 04, 2020, 06:38:57 pm »
If my calculations are right, this makes 2500 pages (unless you're tgggzzzzz).

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62474 on: July 04, 2020, 06:43:34 pm »
*smashes C's calculator with a Sledge-O-Matic and runs away cackling gleefully*

mnem
Awww.... he brought spares... how sweet.  >:D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf