Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14555165 times)

Vince, Aiy, wkb and 29 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online mendip_discovery

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #62500 on: July 05, 2020, 10:34:04 am »
Quote from: AVGresponding
Welcome to the madhouse!
These might be made to suit your purpose perhaps:
--FOB Power Supplies--
Quote from: Specmaster
And a 25A load?

Naa, I have a Transmille 3000 series calibrator (22A) UKAS traceable at work.

Quote from: bitseeker
Yep, that's how it begins. ;D
Sounds like you need some more test gear. That's how it spreads... :-DD

Quote from: xrunner
Welcome mendip.
You have joined us now. Forget the life you used to have - before TEA. Don't look back because you can never go back. It will never be the same now. All that pre-history will soon be forgotten. That's how I remember it when it happened to me.

Quote from: Brumby
Indeed.  Welcome mendip!  Make yourself at home.
We have several rabbit holes you might care to explore...

I have here at home, 121GW, 2 x AVO8, Decade Resistance, Capacitance Box. Plus various HAM gear, K40 (40W CO2) Laser Cutter, a ton of motorcycles, and a Land Rover Defender. I have a warren to explore if I ever feel the need.

Quote from: bitseeker
Looking forward to seeing this tester. It's not something I've run across.

Its basically for testing the Ginger Clare Flash testers though I suspect I could use it for any flash tester even them Seaward HAL units. So only enough kV to perk ones senses (5kV) and enough amps (25A) to knock you down if you are foolish. I had a 6kV 150A supply in a few weeks ago that I demonstrated AMPS and VOLTS to the lads at work, they think I am a loon[1], I told them to wait until its 120kV and 3000A then you will see how much fun it can be.

Quote from: tggzzz
Welcome to the madhouse, or Hotel California as it is sometimes called.
If I go up the road from my house, I can see the Mendips

I will remember to use the Royal Wave next time I am overlooking the commoners down on the levels. ;-)

Thanks for all your welcomes, I plan to annoy people for a while.

[1] I think I ought to order a white lab coat and practice a sinister laugh.
Motorcyclist, Nerd, and I work in a Calibration Lab :-)
--
So everyone is clear, Calibration = Taking Measurement against a known source, Verification = Checking Calibration against Specification, Adjustment = Adjusting the unit to be within specifications.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #62501 on: July 05, 2020, 10:43:53 am »

Nah, you'll dirty up the lab coat fixing the Land Rover.   :P :-DD But after perfecting the sinister laugh this is appropriate for when that old pile of TE powers up. (Applies to the Land Rover too).

Welcome to our party of misfits.  :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #62502 on: July 05, 2020, 11:30:46 am »
I have here at home, 121GW, 2 x AVO8, Decade Resistance, Capacitance Box. Plus various HAM gear, K40 (40W CO2) Laser Cutter, a ton of motorcycles, and a Land Rover Defender. I have a warren to explore if I ever feel the need.

K40 (40W CO2) Laser Cutter <----- WANT.
:-+

Got any pics of your laser cutting projects?  :popcorn:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #62503 on: July 05, 2020, 11:34:59 am »

And i have put something on background of my PC screen, behind me ;-)
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, bitseeker, BU508A, med6753

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #62504 on: July 05, 2020, 11:56:40 am »

Oooh. Hello friend  >:D

Welcome to the madhouse, or Hotel California as it is sometimes called.
If I go up the road from my house, I can see the Mendips

I will remember to use the Royal Wave next time I am overlooking the commoners down on the levels. ;-)

Thanks for all your welcomes, I plan to annoy people for a while.

Actually I'm not on the levels; I'm on a 1:6 hill and my house has 2/3 of an extra storey at the back :)

Having lived on the edge of the Fens in the 80s, when I moved here I made it a priority to be in the midst of trees and contours :) Basically a 1:50000 OS map has 10 times as much ink (of any colour) as near Cambridge.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #62505 on: July 05, 2020, 12:21:11 pm »
Bags of components everywhere and empty drawers....
little stuff in big drawers and vs vs ....i need to reorganize... :palm:

Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Online mendip_discovery

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #62506 on: July 05, 2020, 12:33:53 pm »
K40 (40W CO2) Laser Cutter <----- WANT. :-+

Got any pics of your laser cutting projects?  :popcorn:

https://blog.jackstringer.co.uk/misc/2020/sorting-jubilee-clips/
https://blog.jackstringer.co.uk/my-vehicles/2020/bmw-on-lockdown/
https://blog.jackstringer.co.uk/misc/2020/tap-and-die-storage/

I have some Low ohm resistors about so I may make up a low ohm resistance box, the handy thing of the laser is I can cut my own project boxes so I can get just the right size.
--
So everyone is clear, Calibration = Taking Measurement against a known source, Verification = Checking Calibration against Specification, Adjustment = Adjusting the unit to be within specifications.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62507 on: July 05, 2020, 12:36:12 pm »

The left side of your house looks like an illustration of how to estimate the area under a curve with rectangles.  You need triangle-shaped storage cabinets.  :-DD

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Mr. Scram, bd139, tonyalbus

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor

The following users thanked this post: slburris, Neomys Sapiens

Online mendip_discovery

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #62509 on: July 05, 2020, 12:39:36 pm »

Sadly the boss has just fitted CCTV to the place so I can't do, helpers.

Actually I'm not on the levels; I'm on a 1:6 hill and my house has 2/3 of an extra storey at the back :)

Having lived on the edge of the Fens in the 80s, when I moved here I made it a priority to be in the midst of trees and contours :) Basically a 1:50000 OS map has 10 times as much ink (of any colour) as near Cambridge.

lol, being accepted on the Fens makes you perfect for the Levels. They find working in imperial measurements rather easy, helped by the number of fingers on each hand.

--

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #62510 on: July 05, 2020, 01:13:48 pm »
A close encounter you don't want to have..... :scared:

Was outside washing the CR-V. What is that flying around? A bat! During the day?  :o Big fat warning. That poor thing is obviously sick, most likely rabid. Anytime you see a nocturnal mammal out during the day that's a clue to stay away.

I watched it fly around and try to roost on the side of the building but it kept falling. Yep, sick. Eventually it flew off into the woods. We've had a rash of rabid raccoons lately which seems to happen every 5 years or so. But this is the first time I've seen a sick bat.   :--

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #62511 on: July 05, 2020, 01:29:43 pm »

(Attachment Link)

No, you need a bigger storage area.....to fill up.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #62512 on: July 05, 2020, 01:48:36 pm »

Sadly the boss has just fitted CCTV to the place so I can't do, helpers.

lol, being accepted on the Fens makes you perfect for the Levels. They find working in imperial measurements rather easy, helped by the number of fingers on each hand.

Oh, I wasn't on the Fens, merely near them. Having some sense of history, I made very sure I was on high ground (i.e. 10m AMSL whereas the nearby drain was 5m AMSL) :)

One of us here has seriously considered going back to the fens, but I think currently that is not on the table. If the concept reappears, I will continue to have fun gently prodding him :)

As for numbers of fingers, one must bear in mind that they are very inbred on the Fens. Musclepower is prized more than brainpower. Bit like the Forest of Dean. Not sure about imperial vs metric, but they don't choose between Labour and Conservative candidates, but between Whig and Tory.

At least on the Somerset Levels you can see surrounding high ground. The joke in Cambridge is that going east from the Hills Rd bridge over the railway, the next highpoint is in the Urals. Fenlanders won't know where the Urals are.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #62513 on: July 05, 2020, 02:32:59 pm »

Da Dwagon's Day of Dietary Debauchery has BEGUN!!! BUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Today marks 2 weeks 3 days since I went back on a 20 gram Keto diet; so officially 2 weeks since the day of transition misery.

Blessings upon my wife who made fresh coffee just because I asked nicely; and who is joining me on the diet. Or was it me joining her...?  :o

mnem
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 03:17:44 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62514 on: July 05, 2020, 02:59:36 pm »

Nah, you'll dirty up the lab coat fixing the Land Rover.   :P :-DD But after perfecting the sinister laugh this is appropriate for when that old pile of TE powers up. (Applies to the Land Rover too).

Welcome to our party of misfits.  :-+

Naaahhh... I don't think we need to worry until he starts showing off his latest -Inator...

K40 (40W CO2) Laser Cutter <----- WANT. :-+   Got any pics of your laser cutting projects?  :popcorn:

...which should be in a day or two, as construction has obviously already begun.  :-DD

Welcome to The Land of Misfit Toys TEA... I'm certain you'll fit right in here.   >:D

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62515 on: July 05, 2020, 03:02:00 pm »

Da Dwagon's Day of Dietary Debauchery has BEGUN!!! BUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Today marks 2 weeks 3 days since I went back on a 20 gram Keto diet; so officially 2 weeks since the day of transition misery.

Blessings upon my wife who made fresh coffee just because I asked nicely; and who is joining me on the diet. Or was it me joining her...?  :o

mnem

I just shed 10lbs over the last 3 months by cutting back the total number of calories (doesn't matter if they're from carbs, fat, or protein - just kept it balanced and below the daily limit).   Harder than I thought it would be!

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62516 on: July 05, 2020, 03:05:58 pm »
Yep it fucking sucks.

43lb down since 29th December counting calories and walking a lot. Starting to look like I’ve stolen a skin suit from someone, like the bug guy in Men In Black. Don’t lose it too quick!

Been using nutracheck app to manage balanced diet.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, SilverSolder, mnementh

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62517 on: July 05, 2020, 03:19:36 pm »
Yep it fucking sucks.

43lb down since 29th December counting calories and walking a lot. Starting to look like I’ve stolen a skin suit from someone, like the bug guy in Men In Black. Don’t lose it too quick!

Been using nutracheck app to manage balanced diet.

I tried the subtly named "Fat Secret" app!  :D 

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62518 on: July 05, 2020, 03:23:50 pm »
Yeah; I need to go low-carb for other reasons, and honestly hypoglycemic is the only diet I've ever been able to STAY on. Problem is it's hard when everything in the house is food for wife & kids NOT on the diet.

mnem
That banana just lies there, mocking me. It mocks me and I am mocked. :-\

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #62519 on: July 05, 2020, 03:28:39 pm »
Slow and steady wins the race. Except that a race has a beginning and an end and a healthy lifestyle doesn't end. Learn to love the changes. Anything you loathe isn't going to last. I was doing reasonably well but the lock down has done a number on me. My weight has been redistributing itself and is now slowly ticking up and I'm honestly also done sitting at home.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62520 on: July 05, 2020, 04:06:41 pm »
Slow and steady wins the race. Except that a race has a beginning and an end and a healthy lifestyle doesn't end. Learn to love the changes. Anything you loathe isn't going to last. I was doing reasonably well but the lock down has done a number on me. My weight has been redistributing itself and is now slowly ticking up and I'm honestly also done sitting at home.

Early on in the lockdown I realized I would go crazy if I didn't start some kind of "health project"...   which ended up consisting of eating (much) healthier, getting regular exercise, etc. -  the best exercise is the increased cardio I get from kicking myself, for having taken so long to "get the message" about how important it is, given how much better I feel and how much more energy I have! 

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #62521 on: July 05, 2020, 04:29:40 pm »
Early on in the lockdown I realized I would go crazy if I didn't start some kind of "health project"...   which ended up consisting of eating (much) healthier, getting regular exercise, etc. -  the best exercise is the increased cardio I get from kicking myself, for having taken so long to "get the message" about how important it is, given how much better I feel and how much more energy I have!
I had a wake up moment a few years ago and I was doing reasonably well. I was and am eating fairly healthily but I neglected to adjust for the change in physical activity. It's not rocket science but I let it sneak up on me.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 04:40:34 pm by Mr. Scram »

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #62522 on: July 05, 2020, 04:32:19 pm »
Decided to do some troubleshooting of the bias issue on the Type 106 Square Wave Generator before attempting a final calibration. Found 2 suspicious items....

First, the cathode of V15 (Pin 2) shows some noise and instability for about 3 minutes of so then settles down. While not completely unacceptable it should settle down quicker than that. I think that 6EW6 is going soft. Checked Ebay. Found a PAIR of NOS RCA's for $14 including shipping/tax. And about 100 miles away. Should have them in a few days. That's a no brainer. Should have spares anyway. These tubes are VHF pentodes which is why they are so cheap. Audiophools ignore them.

2nd, probing around Q34 and Q43 found Q43 to be touchy mofo. You're outta here.  :-- Replacement 2N3904 installed. Seems to be a lot better now but I have to wait until the unit cools down completely and then do a cold start. Fingers crossed.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62523 on: July 05, 2020, 05:44:24 pm »
 *:rant: NINTENDO DOUCHEBAGGERY*

*&^%$@!!! ASSHOLES!!! Their eShop is a complete shithole with no way to pay except to give them your CC info on file or link a PP account. No way to make a 1-time payment.  |O

mnem
*adds NumbMindo gift card to next grocery list*

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62524 on: July 05, 2020, 05:47:35 pm »
Japan never gets software even remotely decent quality. I bet there’s almost no parental controls either.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf