Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14556010 times)

Qw3rtzuiop, Vince, K0ELB, TERRA Operative and 17 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #62525 on: July 05, 2020, 05:48:12 pm »
Slow and steady wins the race. Except that a race has a beginning and an end and a healthy lifestyle doesn't end. Learn to love the changes. Anything you loathe isn't going to last. I was doing reasonably well but the lock down has done a number on me. My weight has been redistributing itself and is now slowly ticking up and I'm honestly also done sitting at home.

Early on in the lockdown I realized I would go crazy if I didn't start some kind of "health project"...   which ended up consisting of eating (much) healthier, getting regular exercise, etc. -  the best exercise is the increased cardio I get from kicking myself, for having taken so long to "get the message" about how important it is, given how much better I feel and how much more energy I have!

Over the last five months, I've lost the thirty pounds I gained after the last Nepal adventure. Part of that is getting back on the rowing or elliptical machine four to five times a week. And part of it is pandemic related: we stopped eating takeout and going to restaurants, which we got into the habit of doing way more than I care to admit.  Now that I am cooking and baking again, portion sizes are smaller, ingredients are healthier and fat, sugar, and calorie content are much more predictable.  I have ten more to lose and I still have to figure out get back to strength training given the beat up state of my joints and tendons but I am making progress.

specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #62526 on: July 05, 2020, 05:59:27 pm »
Unfortunately since retiring last year I went from about 172 pounds to about 185 pounds and I'll be damned if I can get it to come back off. Smaller portion sizes haven't helped but one thing I've never been big on is exercising until it hurts. I guess I need to.  :palm:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #62527 on: July 05, 2020, 06:02:52 pm »
Well the Type 106 still takes over 5 minutes to display a square wave on the fast rise time outputs. I'm going to defer the calibration until the 6EW6 tubes arrive. The seller has already generated a shipping label and will go USPS in the AM. Now if only USPS doesn't send it to that black hole in Springfield, MA.  :o
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #62528 on: July 05, 2020, 06:21:06 pm »
Japan never gets software even remotely decent quality. I bet there’s almost no parental controls either.

Naahhh... they pretty much snurched Sony's ESRB parental controls layout lock, stock & 2 smoking barrels. Nowhere near the level of granular control or telemetry available on MS networks Family controls, but good enough that along with not having any payment method on file to enable "in-game" impulse spending, I feel safe enough letting him use their services.

It's just that Nintendo... I dunno.  :-//

I abandoned them decades ago when I realized what a clusterfuck their online store/console UI was; my hackles just went up and klaxons in the back of my head at 110dB. Everything about their website just screams "The chile ain't right". NO common sense applied to pretty well-standardized things like e-commerce; they expect you to give up info that's none of their fucking business and they were one of the first to demand a "linked form of payment". When they later got hacked and hundreds of thousands of customers' CC info all over the darkweb, I knew my hackles were right on target. ;) Then it happened again a few years later.  |O

Here we are a whole new generation of gamer humanoids later, and they STILL haven't grown the fuck up.  :palm:

mnem
I don't WANT convenient in this case; I WANT it to be a PITA to waste money on video games.  >:(
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 06:27:01 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62529 on: July 05, 2020, 06:25:48 pm »
Yeah probably right  :-DD. Going to take a couple of weeks off doing anything. Can do hiking / walking etc just not high impact stuff now  :(

Just came back from 4 days of (to us) heavy cross-country hiking with the family (wife, 10yo and 12yo). We're completely untrained, and took on a fairly complicated trail, with a lot of elevation meters (up, down, up, down, et c, ad inf.) in it, no resupply points except for water springs, so a full load going in, for all. I've done things like this (a long time ago, when I was reasonably fit) before, but the others not. Walked 32 km in total (20 miles), and that was quite enough given our preparation level.

No injuries except lots of mosquito bites. Especially the Simuliidae variety of around 1mm length are incredibly irritating. Hammocks with integrated bug nets are a real life-saver in these situations, though.

Ha! Wimpy Scandinavian flies, wait until you've encountered the mighty Scottish Highland midge. Too small to see properly but packs the bite of something 10-20 times its size. Comes in clouds of thousands at a time. Deterred by nothing, not rain, not time of day, not campfire smoke, and the last time I was foolish enough to try insect repellent to keep them away I'll swear that the little wee bastards were lining up with tiny shot glasses for a 'wee drachm' of the stuff.

Typical view in the Highlands during midge season as they come teeming for your blood:

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, mansaxel

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62530 on: July 05, 2020, 06:30:06 pm »
Unfortunately since retiring last year I went from about 172 pounds to about 185 pounds and I'll be damned if I can get it to come back off. Smaller portion sizes haven't helped but one thing I've never been big on is exercising until it hurts. I guess I need to.  :palm:

Just go for a walk...  45 - 55 minutes of brisk walking is nearly 300 cals burned and good cardio, especially if there are some hills you can "go over" on your route.

Various apps (my dieting daughter in law put me on to them, LOL) are easy to use to idenify and dump the worst offenders from your daily food intake.  I was pretty shocked when I started actually measuring what I was eating...  in the sense that I just didn't know how "bad" some things are, and I had "optimistically large" portions of much of it!  :D

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #62531 on: July 05, 2020, 06:37:34 pm »
Urrrghhh... that sounds like lower back pain torture to me. I'm lucky to manage 25-30 min through the short trails around the house, and even that requires 2-4 min each at 2 park benches on the way.   |O

@Cerebus: In Tejas we gots two kinds of skeeters: Them small enough to get through the screen door and them big enough to tear it off the hinges.  :-DD

mnem
moo. But not too loudly; they might hear you... :o
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 06:42:40 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #62532 on: July 05, 2020, 07:19:38 pm »
Urrrghhh... that sounds like lower back pain torture to me. I'm lucky to manage 25-30 min through the short trails around the house, and even that requires 2-4 min each at 2 park benches on the way.   |O

@Cerebus: In Tejas we gots two kinds of skeeters: Them small enough to get through the screen door and them big enough to tear it off the hinges.  :-DD

mnem
moo. But not too loudly; they might hear you... :o
Heaving a substantial bulk along is going to be tough on the body but the only way out is to start chipping away at it. Slow and steady.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #62533 on: July 05, 2020, 07:41:40 pm »
Ha! Wimpy Scandinavian flies, wait until you've encountered the mighty Scottish Highland midge. Too small to see properly but packs the bite of something 10-20 times its size. Comes in clouds of thousands at a time. Deterred by nothing, not rain, not time of day, not campfire smoke, and the last time I was foolish enough to try insect repellent to keep them away I'll swear that the little wee bastards were lining up with tiny shot glasses for a 'wee drachm' of the stuff.

Typical view in the Highlands during midge season as they come teeming for your blood:

I've only experienced the little <deleteds> at Midge Lake[1]. Since that I've never laughed at Aussie wide-brimmed hats with corks dangling on bits of string. (Do those actually work against the <deleteds>?)

[1] Myvatn.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62534 on: July 05, 2020, 08:21:00 pm »
<SNIP>

PayPal has changed their UI; I no longer can just reverse a refund or even send money to a random someone in my transaction history. No idea why...  |O

It's because ebay now own PayPal and they don't want you to know your customers or suppliers email in case you start to deal directly with them.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62535 on: July 05, 2020, 09:17:26 pm »
Just got myself another insulation tester, with no free battery crud this time and it's a full 1000V jobbie this time, only issue with it is that it has no battery compartment cover and leads are missing, Leads are not an issue, it uses standard shrouded meter leads and I have plenty of those and battery cover should not be an issue either as it is still a current tester and appears in their current catalogue and still for sale on RS and other sites. I have fired off an email to the makers for a P&D on a cover, otherwise, I guess gaffer tape is a good replacement. If it works as expected to, and I see no reason why it shouldn't, got myself a real bargain, just 6% of the new price. I only want it to really satisfy myself that newly repaired Avo is capable of handling the 600V and 1,000V on the ribbon cable I have used which seems to be rated at 300V. I don't expect there to be any issue with it as there is no negative leads adjacent to any live leads on the meter that I know of and the negative leads are part of the fixed wiring within anyway, none of which have been replaced and are routed away from live leads.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 10:45:05 am by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: bd139, Kosmic

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #62536 on: July 05, 2020, 10:01:42 pm »
[1] I think I ought to order a white lab coat and practice a sinister laugh.

Good idea. Disguised like this you'll be here completely inconspiciuous.  :-DD

Welcome to the TEA.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #62537 on: July 05, 2020, 10:15:34 pm »

Just go for a walk...  45 - 55 minutes of brisk walking is nearly 300 cals burned and good cardio, especially if there are some hills you can "go over" on your route.

Various apps (my dieting daughter in law put me on to them, LOL) are easy to use to idenify and dump the worst offenders from your daily food intake.  I was pretty shocked when I started actually measuring what I was eating...  in the sense that I just didn't know how "bad" some things are, and I had "optimistically large" portions of much of it!  :D

I second that... roughly an hour a day of brisk walking, along with sensible portion control, will do wonders for your health and won't be particularly hard on your body, especially if you are in okay shape already. When I am not trying to get in shape for something specific (as I am right now), walking is my default exercise.  Good for your head, too, getting out like that.
specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62538 on: July 05, 2020, 10:21:58 pm »
Spot on. Walking has saved my sanity recently if I’m honest. Not that I had any sanity but it stopped it getting worse.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62539 on: July 05, 2020, 10:31:50 pm »
<SNIP>

PayPal has changed their UI; I no longer can just reverse a refund or even send money to a random someone in my transaction history. No idea why...  |O

It's because ebay now own PayPal and they don't want you to know your customers or suppliers email in case you start to deal directly with them.

Somebody's behind the times. eBay owned Paypal between 2002 and 2014, i.e. they don't currently own Paypal and haven't for six years.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #62540 on: July 05, 2020, 10:35:13 pm »
Holy instrusive shit. Microsoft decided that installing Edge Chromium unasked on computers, pinning it to start and adding it to the desktop and confronting users with a full screen nag screen upon boot is how they regain the fragile trust of users.  :-DD

https://www.theverge.com/21310611/microsoft-edge-browser-forced-update-chromium-editorial

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #62541 on: July 05, 2020, 10:52:28 pm »
Work of today:

checking the RF remote control from a friend of mine. He complains, that it will not work reliable.
Opened the case and there isn't anything obvious wrong.

Below every relay (the orange ones) there is a red indicator LED and below R7 there is a green LED which illuminates whenever a signal from the remote control is detected.
The green LED illuminates all the time whenever a button on the RC is being pushed
but the relays switches only, if this damn thing is in the right mood or whatever.   :-//   :-/O
Will check further tomorrow.

Another little project of today: Markgräfler Chriesiplotzer [1] (special kind of a cherry cake with some cherry schnapps in it)  ;D

[1] I'll check your pronunciation of this name on the next Discord session.  >:D    :-DD
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 11:41:16 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Kosmic

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #62542 on: July 05, 2020, 11:11:54 pm »
Work of today:

checking the RF remote control from a friend of mine. He complains, that it will not work reliable.
Opened the case and there isn't anything obvious wrong.

Below every relay (the orange ones) there is a red indicator LED and below R7 there is a green LED which illuminates whenever a signal from the remote control is detected.
The green LED illuminates all the time whenever a button on the RC is being pushed
but the relays switches only, if this damn thing is in the right mood or whatever.   :-//   :-/O
Will check further tomorrow.

Another little project of today: Markgräfler Chriesiplotzer [1] (special kind of a cherry cake with some cherry schnapps in it)  ;D

[1] I'll check your pronunciation of this name in the next Discord session.  >:D    :-DD
Check the remote is ON frequency.
We had issues with garage door remotes that weren't reliable and found the cheap resonators drifted horribly.
We could tune them back on frequency where they would work fine for a few days.  ::)  >:(
Got sick of retuning the bloody things !   :horse:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62543 on: July 05, 2020, 11:26:21 pm »
Holy instrusive shit. Microsoft decided that installing Edge Chromium unasked on computers, pinning it to start and adding it to the desktop and confronting users with a full screen nag screen upon boot is how they regain the fragile trust of users.  :-DD

https://www.theverge.com/21310611/microsoft-edge-browser-forced-update-chromium-editorial

Clippy: "Can I help? What are you doing?"
Microsoft: "Loading a shotgun with a blank. Then I'm going to shoot myself in the foot."
Clippy: "Try a 00 buckshot shell instead."
Microsoft: "O.K. Thanks, I will."

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62544 on: July 05, 2020, 11:31:50 pm »

Yeah it’s a shit show. Previously telemetry being forced on me. Had a run in with WSL2 a couple of weeks back, got fucked over by a hyper-v crash. Then there’s the whole .net core cert issue thing that has been fucking me for a month now. Oh and the shit show that is windows containers. And then one drive decided to fuck up two excel sheets meaning I had to reconstruct 300 odd bank transactions from scratch.

I’m taking a pragmatic approach to life and removing all friction from it so it’s gone in favour of a fruit encrusted unit. I spent 10 years on macOS so have crawled back apologetically.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 11:34:56 pm by bd139 »

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #62545 on: July 05, 2020, 11:39:49 pm »
PS - I don't do that sort of falling down stuff with the same, uh, reckless enthusiasm of my youth because it hurts more these days. Way way more.  :P
And let us not forget how much longer it takes to heal.  Last year I popped something in my chest taking a nose dive after tripping over something.  I landed with my left arm against my chest and I make mnem look svelte.  IIRC, it took almost 3 months for the pain to go away completely.  20 years ago, in my 40's, that would have taken 2 months. :palm:  Thankfully, I still have a very high pain tolerance so I ignore most pain anyways.  Except the pain in my chest from the fall, I was not amused.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62546 on: July 05, 2020, 11:47:43 pm »
I did the chest thing trying to ram stuff in our bin about four years ago. Complete agree  :-\

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62547 on: July 06, 2020, 12:10:03 am »
So glad I follow this guy who tipped everyone off about Microsoft removing your option of deferring updates when the latest version 2004 installs.

I followed his tip and have deferred my update until 6th August and hopefully someone will have found a solution to this fuckery by Microsoft before then.

This new video has been released which might help, but nobody else has so far reported this Edge browser problem.

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62548 on: July 06, 2020, 12:34:27 am »

Clippy: "Can I help? What are you doing?"
Microsoft: "Loading a shotgun with a blank. Then I'm going to shoot myself in the foot."
Clippy: "Try a 00 buckshot shell instead."
Microsoft: "O.K. Thanks, I will."

I have never regretted turning off automatic updates...  (win 7)

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62549 on: July 06, 2020, 12:39:12 am »

Which version of Win10 are you running, Home, Pro or what?
Who let Murphy in?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf