Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14563418 times)

Robert763 and 29 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #62750 on: July 08, 2020, 12:06:23 pm »
Looks like generic CH341 UART. A couple of hours with wireshark and python and I reckon it'd have a Linux client  :-DD

Edit: looks like there is a linux source release of software as well but I can't find a working link: linnwt4_V4_11_10.tar.gz
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 12:10:21 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #62751 on: July 08, 2020, 12:17:00 pm »
This looks like a little nice device.
But my main complain about it is:
- Windows only software. at least I haven't found some Linux support

With a stand-alone device it doesn't matter which OS is running on your PC.
I have windows, but my main system to use is Linux.

There is a seller in poland who selles Ansitsu SM610,, ~2Ghz .. just be shire you get a working one... i paid about 230,- incl shipping... 
and also a part unit for free... well got the part unit first ..  great customer service  :-DD

must say it works pretty nice..
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh

Online Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #62752 on: July 08, 2020, 01:55:22 pm »
I was looking for some cheap spectrum analyzers and found these two:
- an Anritsu boat anchor for audio stuff: 10Hz - 30MHz
- an Anritsu portable one 100kHz - 3GHz

The boat anchor:

The portable one:

I need a cheap SA for doing some basic RF stuff (checking signals of transmitters etc.)
and this portable one looks nice. But I'm not really impressed about the specs. what do you think?

Regarding the audio boat anchor: there was this discussion about using soundcards for audio purposes,
but some people had the opinion, that a dedicated SA is much better than these soundcards.
So I thought it could be interesting for some folks here. No affiliations with the sellers.

What if I told you... you could have your cake and eat it?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/HP8922S-0-01-1GHz-Spectrum-Analyzer-RF-Gen-Audio-Gen-Analyzer-400kHz-Oscope/143514324785?hash=item216a1ecf31:g:pskAAOSwUrxeLslh

Totally affiliated with the seller. Not portable in the least. Forget about 3Ghz.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 02:10:31 pm by Ice-Tea »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #62753 on: July 08, 2020, 01:57:09 pm »

The boat anchor:

The portable one:

I need a cheap SA for doing some basic RF stuff (checking signals of transmitters etc.)
and this portable one looks nice. But I'm not really impressed about the specs. what do you think?

Regarding the audio boat anchor: there was this discussion about using soundcards for audio purposes,
but some people had the opinion, that a dedicated SA is much better than these soundcards.
So I thought it could be interesting for some folks here. No affiliations with the sellers.

What if I told you... you could have your cake ans eat it?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/HP8922S-0-01-1GHz-Spectrum-Analyzer-RF-Gen-Audio-Gen-Analyzer-400kHz-Oscope/143514324785?hash=item216a1ecf31:g:pskAAOSwUrxeLslh

Totally affiliated with the seller. Not portable in the least. Forget about 3Ghz.

But it WILL stand out on the desk.... cool!
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #62754 on: July 08, 2020, 02:11:47 pm »
There are times I wonder where your mind goes - let alone ask why it went there.....

... and I'm ever so glad to be left in the dark every now and then.  Like now.  :scared:

Wait... you're in the dark...? Ummm... is there creepy music playing, and does it smell like wet dog and frustration...?

If so... I'm sorry buddy; you're already in here with me.   :-[

mnem
If you see a light at the end of the chunnel, hug the wall. That'll be the TEA-time tour bus...:o
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62755 on: July 08, 2020, 02:36:36 pm »
There are times I wonder where your mind goes - let alone ask why it went there.....

... and I'm ever so glad to be left in the dark every now and then.  Like now.  :scared:

You know the electric prods used to move cattle? Useful on dragons too and preferred application right on the jewels.  >:D ;D

*inhales sharply* Yes... that would be the preferrrrrrred application...  >:D

mnem
whaaat...?
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #62756 on: July 08, 2020, 02:43:56 pm »

The boat anchor:

The portable one:

....provided your desk, floor and back are strong enough!
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62757 on: July 08, 2020, 02:46:42 pm »
Excuse me for a moment....   I think I'm going to crawl into a dark corner and have a nervous breakdown.

Blame BU508A... he started it.    >:D

mnem
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 02:48:20 pm by mnementh »

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #62758 on: July 08, 2020, 02:54:27 pm »
qty = qty -1     :)

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62759 on: July 08, 2020, 02:55:51 pm »
This looks like a little nice device. But my main complain about it is: - Windows only software. at least I haven't found some Linux support

With a stand-alone device it doesn't matter which OS is running on your PC. I have windows, but my main system to use is Linux.

What about those SDR dev kits we were talking about a while back...? They have *NIX support, and IIRC the software does a fairly decent SpecAn function as well as the nify color waterfalls. :-//

And doesn't the NanoVNA also do these functions with the more recent software...?

mnem
Or you could just get a cheap Winbloze Tablet to use as a screen... *ducks soggy ol' Welly thrown from the corner of the room*

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62760 on: July 08, 2020, 02:57:43 pm »
   qty = qty -1     :)

mnem
Uhhh... don't git any on ya.  ;)

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Online Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #62761 on: July 08, 2020, 03:04:15 pm »

The boat anchor:

The portable one:

IKEA not recommended. Industrial flooring not mandatory but suggested.

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62762 on: July 08, 2020, 05:01:28 pm »

[/quote]

Heh heh heh... "By the slump-ridden 30s, the Robertson’s golly was at the peak of his popularity as children collected jam-jar labels in return for golly-shaped enamel badges." FFI see https://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/history-advertising-no-131-robertsons-controversial-brand-mascot/1345786

No, the past wasn't always better :)
[/quote]

I actually worked on Robertsons aircraft once - G-OLLY  many years ago. A Navajo https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/registration/G-OLLY

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #62763 on: July 08, 2020, 05:09:41 pm »
The pair of 6EW6 tubes showed up today and they are indeed brand spanking new RCA NOS.  :-+ It wouldn't surprise me if they have zero hours on them. Installed them in the Type 106 and already I'm seeing a difference in overall stability. Going to let them cook and stabilize for a few hours before attempting final calibration.  :-+ :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62764 on: July 08, 2020, 05:09:53 pm »
Some carnage to report. XBox One S “tea spill”. I’m not even going to bother with this  :palm:. Situation means SWMNLBO pays the money to replace it fortunately as she did it during a fleeting visit :-DD

1019338-0

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #62765 on: July 08, 2020, 05:14:17 pm »
Some carnage to report. XBox One S “tea spill”. I’m not even going to bother with this  :palm:. Situation means SWMNLBO pays the money to replace it fortunately as she did it during a fleeting visit :-DD

(Attachment Link)

Yikes!  |O :palm:  ::)
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62766 on: July 08, 2020, 05:14:30 pm »

(Attachment Link)
Hmmm, good luck with that, reckon you might stand a better chance of tax refund than her paying for it  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62767 on: July 08, 2020, 05:18:50 pm »

(Attachment Link)

It shouldn't be a difficult fix. Tea isn't as corrosive as electrolyte or battery inards, the copper should be ok.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62768 on: July 08, 2020, 05:21:00 pm »
Quick question for you, on your Thurlby 1905a, did you ever update the input sockets for shrouded ones at all? I'm thinking about doing that but also slightly worried about the membrane panel getting damaged in the process of enlarging the 8mm holes to 12mm to accept the three sockets?

Nope, aside from a few age related marks and some dust, mine is as it left the factory.

I do hope you're talking about some bit of test equipment and not some part of your body.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62769 on: July 08, 2020, 05:31:12 pm »

(Attachment Link)
Hmmm, good luck with that, reckon you might stand a better chance of tax refund than her paying for it  :palm:

I was surprised. She ordered a new one from Argos. Arriving this evening.  £249  :-DD

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62770 on: July 08, 2020, 05:31:46 pm »

(Attachment Link)

It shouldn't be a difficult fix. Tea isn't as corrosive as electrolyte or battery inards, the copper should be ok.

McBryce.

It was powered up and smoke came out. It’s a gonna.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62771 on: July 08, 2020, 05:37:43 pm »

(Attachment Link)

I was surprised. She ordered a new one from Argos. Arriving this evening.  £249  :-DD

Sure she doesn't know what your credit card pin is  :scared:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62772 on: July 08, 2020, 05:39:44 pm »

The boat anchor:

The portable one:

IKEA not recommended. Industrial flooring not mandatory but suggested.

€600 for a 8922x, Bit much methinks, even with the SA option. Take care when buying, they don't all have it. Addtionally the 'scope is audio only and the signal generator has no usable modulation capability. A 8924C, thats a different story.

A SDRplay SDR actually makes a usable spectrum analyser especially with the latest software.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #62773 on: July 08, 2020, 05:49:10 pm »
Excuse me for a moment....   I think I'm going to crawl into a dark corner and have a nervous breakdown.

Blame BU508A... he started it.    >:D

mnem

Well, technically it was med who started it.   :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62774 on: July 08, 2020, 05:52:58 pm »
 :popcorn:

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf