Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14550161 times)

factory, Vince and 23 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #62900 on: July 10, 2020, 11:38:14 am »

Parcel from DE to NL got lost...

HP 3478A Labormultimeter 5-stellig

Seller offers to send an other.. :-+

Curious, how much you paid this, I bought mine for $140 CAD from a local seller. And it needs recapping and installing a DIY adapter thanks to some EEVBlog people at https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/project-extending-hp3478a-functionality/ and that is what I am getting from : https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/project-extending-hp3478a-functionality/

160 incl shipping... the shipping killed the good deal...but now i want it.. ;-)

but he also offert a full refund... if the meter is crap i better take that option...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 11:42:12 am by tonyalbus »
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62901 on: July 10, 2020, 12:16:01 pm »
was curious about a place in the uk called "bromley", and somehow the googles came back with this very strange and incomprehensible video.

if such a thing is possible......could one of you limeys please explain it? 

No. Partly because I don't know and partly on principle. It looks like a variant of Morris dancing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_dance

Ob quote: you should try everything once except incest and morris dancing.

If you like strange occupations, you might like to look for "bog snorkelling", "dwile flonking", "cheese rolling".
Surprised that it was even allowed to happen, when you stop and think that the black and white minstrel show was stopped because it was deemed to be racist.

It’s all about context. Morris dancers blacking up predates knowing black people existed in the UK. Black and white minstrels, probably not  :-DD

Edit to clarify: Catherine of Aragon was the first employer and the Morris dancers were around in the 1300’s and actually being paid in the 1400’s. I wonder if people will look back at street dance in half a millennium in the same way.
Interestingly, the blacking on the faces of men on black and minstrels, was not black, but red. Something to do with the fact that black did not register, maybe it was because the TV in those days was black and white?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62902 on: July 10, 2020, 12:20:31 pm »

Parcel from DE to NL got lost...

HP 3478A Labormultimeter 5-stellig

Seller offers to send an other.. :-+

Curious, how much you paid this, I bought mine for $140 CAD from a local seller. And it needs recapping and installing a DIY adapter thanks to some EEVBlog people at https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/project-extending-hp3478a-functionality/ and that is what I am getting from : https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/project-extending-hp3478a-functionality/

160 incl shipping... the shipping killed the good deal...but now i want it.. ;-)

but he also offert a full refund... if the meter is crap i better take that option...
The hp 3478A is a perfectly good meter, if you compare it with a more modern one, it does lack the diode test function but otherwise it is a great if you don't need to measure more than 300V. Very accurate and is easy to calibrate yourself without having to open it, all done via the front keypad.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, tonyalbus

Offline TorinoFermic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #62903 on: July 10, 2020, 12:23:18 pm »
Quote from: tonyalbus on Today at 07:38:14

To be fair, I also got Fluke 8502A for $50 CAD but looking these broken modules then I tried to contact a seller at https://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=375420 but I haven't heard anything from him. Since you are into radio, do you know the seller ? Thanks !

Quote from: Specmaster on Today at 08:20:31
The hp 3478A is a perfectly good meter, if you compare it with a more modern one, it does lack the diode test function but otherwise it is a great if you don't need to measure more than 300V. Very accurate and is easy to calibrate yourself without having to open it, all done via the front keypad.
The calibration part does requires to have source references from other devices to do this calibration ? According the manual, I also need DC 300V at minimum since the meter can calculate other constants for  high AC voltage from DC constants I think.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 12:27:28 pm by TorinoFermic »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62904 on: July 10, 2020, 12:28:52 pm »
was curious about a place in the uk called "bromley", and somehow the googles came back with this very strange and incomprehensible video.

No. Partly because I don't know and partly on principle. It looks like a variant of Morris dancing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_dance

If you like strange occupations, you might like to look for "bog snorkelling", "dwile flonking", "cheese rolling".
Surprised that it was even allowed to happen, when you stop and think that the black and white minstrel show was stopped because it was deemed to be racist.

It’s all about context. Morris dancers blacking up predates knowing black people existed in the UK. Black and white minstrels, probably not  :-DD

Edit to clarify: Catherine of Aragon was the first employer and the Morris dancers were around in the 1300’s and actually being paid in the 1400’s. I wonder if people will look back at street dance in half a millennium in the same way.
Interestingly, the blacking on the faces of men on black and minstrels, was not black, but red. Something to do with the fact that black did not register, maybe it was because the TV in those days was black and white?

Yeah probably the same reason they used to have yellow clothes for people who were supposedly wearing white :)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #62905 on: July 10, 2020, 12:39:36 pm »

Yeah probably the same reason they used to have yellow clothes for people who were supposedly wearing white :)

Early camera tubes required LOTS of light and contrast to produce a decent image.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #62906 on: July 10, 2020, 12:57:02 pm »
It probably has to do with dynamic range or the lack thereof. When shades of dark or light get crushed into a single "level" there's little to see.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62907 on: July 10, 2020, 12:58:13 pm »
hey al

is something wrong with the attachments?   can't see any dragon in a picture.

and what the hell happened to emmitt?

we need a before AND after picture.
free range primate

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #62908 on: July 10, 2020, 01:02:16 pm »
Since you are into radio, do you know the seller ? Thanks !

Sorry , unknown to me
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #62909 on: July 10, 2020, 01:04:42 pm »
is something wrong with the attachments?   can't see any dragon in a picture.

Attachments seems to be an ongoing problem - see here -

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/website-error-reports/msg3124720/#new
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62910 on: July 10, 2020, 01:09:32 pm »

Early TV camera tubes were orthochromic (insensitive to red) and also had poor contrast. Black would have registered (think about it for a second) but red would produce just as apparently black an output. Anybody who has used black makeup will tell you that getting a good solid black is hard and requires putting on the makeup with trowel. I can attest to this from mugging up with black and white as Death for a Pratchett themed fancy dress party - "GOOD EVENING. IS THIS WHERE THE PARTY IS?".

Furthermore, the red insensitivity and poor contrast of early TV camera tubes had to be compensated for with makeup just for people to look normal. This is what it looked like:

Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #62911 on: July 10, 2020, 01:13:32 pm »

Do you think that context will matter? That's not an angry fist shaking kind of comment but I can see how it could be made a symbol of division.

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #62912 on: July 10, 2020, 01:26:49 pm »
 :scared:  okey now i am even more confused i usualy already am..

on my doorstep just now...

The following users thanked this post: TorinoFermic

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #62913 on: July 10, 2020, 01:38:14 pm »
@Tony how much do you want for that lag26 ?

visited my favorite dealer today. shhh, hey you .. who, me ? shhh....

went out with a Ryzen 7 3700x and an asus strix RTX 2060 for a huge discount.

I am spending too much money on this kinda stuff ...

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62914 on: July 10, 2020, 01:41:07 pm »
I have been sitting on this until fruition ... but Bean has been successful as an enabler, yet again - where I got to meet another member face to face.

First photo is admittedly a tease....   ;D

I first brought in the tube and the little black box and informed SWMBO "There's more".  She asked "Do I want to know" to which I replied "Electronics stuff".  Her response was "the look".   ::)
Snagged a lock-in amplifier?

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #62915 on: July 10, 2020, 01:41:50 pm »
And I slept through a fluke 8800a. If anyone got it, well done.

Was that the one went for £70 shipped? I lowballed it and got knocked back, went for silly money imo.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #62916 on: July 10, 2020, 01:50:31 pm »
@Tony how much do you want for that lag26 ?

i paid 60,- .. so that would be fine

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #62917 on: July 10, 2020, 01:51:52 pm »
I have been sitting on this until fruition ... but Bean has been successful as an enabler, yet again - where I got to meet another member face to face.

First photo is admittedly a tease....   ;D

I first brought in the tube and the little black box and informed SWMBO "There's more".  She asked "Do I want to know" to which I replied "Electronics stuff".  Her response was "the look".   ::)
Snagged a lock-in amplifier?
Yep.

Battery and AC powered through a very neat assembly which is held in place by two thumbscrews at the back.  A little bit of battery crustiness, but nothing worrisome.  Still has some charge in it.

Very nice controls ... Veeeeerrrrryyy nice multiturn pot on the front panel.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #62918 on: July 10, 2020, 01:52:57 pm »
@Tony sounds like a plan. Paypal ?

Kind regards
Saskia

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62919 on: July 10, 2020, 01:54:43 pm »

Second plea to the precision resistor, ah, aficionados...

Trying to repair the bad sections of a mil-spec step attenuator.  I need what turn out to be odd values: 5.76, 17.6, 291, and 866 ohms, with the first and second being 1% and the latter two 0.1% tolerance (though I am pretty sure I should be able to get the 17.6 ohm in 0.1%). Vishay makes two series that should work, CMF50 and CMF55, but I haven't been able to find these values anywhere (they are E192). 

So... am I looking the wrong way? are these unobtainium values? any other precision resistor product lines I might also check out?

I am starting to think that I am   :horse:
Sorry, checked already. None in the registered stock. As for the Wutzkiste (pig box), please forgive that I can't do that. (That is where unsorted resistors languish).
I was reminded by looking that I have some really strange values, like 0.935 or 61.9, but it's alway the wrong ones with such specific values.
Good luck in finding them.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #62920 on: July 10, 2020, 01:55:26 pm »

First photo is admittedly a tease....   ;D      I first brought in the tube and the little black box and informed SWMBO "There's more".  She asked "Do I want to know" to which I replied "Electronics stuff".  Her response was "the look".   ::)

As it SHOULD be.  ;)   This just proves she's not gone completely starkers; one might suspect otherwise given the company she keeps.  :-DD

mnem
"That's nice, honey... *twitch... twitch... twitcha-twitch...* " is when you should   
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62921 on: July 10, 2020, 01:57:48 pm »

(Attachment Link)

You seem to have nailed the method for receiving multiples of whatever you order! Teach us!

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, tonyalbus

Offline TorinoFermic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #62922 on: July 10, 2020, 02:02:52 pm »

Nice, tell us how it goes the initial testing and I would like how these meters are easy to calibrate.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #62923 on: July 10, 2020, 02:04:10 pm »
You seem to have nailed the method for receiving multiples of whatever you order! Teach us!

McBryce.
Step 1 is to select quantity 2. Step 2 is to pay two items.

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, tonyalbus

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #62924 on: July 10, 2020, 02:12:15 pm »

How these meters are easy to calibrate.

me too ;-)  we will see

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf