Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14781663 times)

Jambalaya, Vince and 145 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #63050 on: July 11, 2020, 01:43:41 pm »
I'm still on Fire Fox and Windows Version 1909, I used that registry hack to the policy to keep on 1909 as long as is possible, done 2 windows updates since then and only the critical bits get updated and none of the new parts of 2004 release installs  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #63051 on: July 11, 2020, 01:49:06 pm »
no discord tonite, it is no fun on an edge network.

:(  It will be less fun without your presence.

Re: 5.5 digit meters etc, the 7150 is the same as the 8840/42 as regards low current measurement; no uA range, so 10uA resolution on the lowest mA range.
Also I was wrong on the 8842 regarding 10uA res, it has a 20mA range so max res is 1uA.
Still well short of the 1nA on the 1905a, or even the 100nA or 10nA res of a lot of handheld DMMs.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63052 on: July 11, 2020, 01:56:55 pm »
Or skip ‘em all and buy a 34401a  :-DD

Doing my 2020 and 2021 project and kit budget now  :scared:

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #63053 on: July 11, 2020, 02:02:52 pm »
Or skip ‘em all and buy a 34401a  :-DD

Doing my 2020 and 2021 project and kit budget now  :scared:

It's budget dependant of course. A working 34401 will set you back £200-300 minimum, depending on your luck.
That would have purchased most of my pile'o'meters, and though it would be nice to have an HPAK in my meter collection, for that kind of money I'd rather find a nice Keithley.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63054 on: July 11, 2020, 02:07:13 pm »
And the rest at the moment. I’m not sure I’d want to pay too much for one. If you throw £350-400 on the table, the going price, it’ll get you a hooky one that may cost you a display at £150 within a year then at least £100 for cal. So £650. You can get a brand new Keysight jobby with warranty for 200 quid more than that which doesn’t have a rapidly drying up spares supply.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63055 on: July 11, 2020, 02:17:42 pm »
The problem for me with the 34401 is that like so many things these days, its getting to complicated for its own good and is bound to be expensive at some point in its life for its owner. So on that basis, I'm inclined to agree with bd, if you can afford it, buy it new, use it for a couple of years and flip it on again while there is some value left in it before the rot sets in. :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63056 on: July 11, 2020, 02:20:37 pm »
Yeah exactly. If it’s a 50 quid junker you’re down a couple of curries and that’s it. I think I prefer that end of things these days  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #63057 on: July 11, 2020, 02:25:02 pm »
They even provide APIs now!

I still use pencil and paper when planning world domination. Take that suckers.

hmm, bd139 has just ordered 5 notebooks and 200 pencils. Better keep an eye on him after what happened last time.

mnem
Whatever happened to World-President Yam...?
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #63058 on: July 11, 2020, 02:26:29 pm »
I'm still on Fire Fox and Windows Version 1909, I used that registry hack to the policy to keep on 1909 as long as is possible, done 2 windows updates since then and only the critical bits get updated and none of the new parts of 2004 release installs  :-+

It finally came across on my laptop. I let it go ahead and install. Once done I deleted the icon off the desktop and deleted it off the task bar. Continued to use Firefox and ignored it. Yea, the way MS puts it in your face and almost forces you to use it sucks (and prevents you from deleting it) but there's no ill effects if you use another browser.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63059 on: July 11, 2020, 02:35:15 pm »
Yeah exactly. If it’s a 50 quid junker you’re down a couple of curries and that’s it. I think I prefer that end of things these days  :-DD
Yep, thats one of the reasons I brought the BM867 new, was that I could then use that to help transfer some standards over to the cheaper eBay bargains such as the 1905A and the 4503, both obtained at stealing prices and then with the recently calibration on the BM867, use that to check them against known values  ;)
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #63060 on: July 11, 2020, 02:35:26 pm »
Here's the 560 plug-in extension in action. That's the Type 2B67 Time Base plug-in. It has a good sweep but refuses to trigger. Hopefully will be an easy fix. This arrangement is awkward as hell but the only way to get to the component side of the plug-in.

I'll have to use it to fix the Type 3A6 and Type 3B3 too.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63061 on: July 11, 2020, 03:00:42 pm »

No, these latest problem children are FTTH (Fiber To The Home) gateways.

Oh, APC connector (green shell SC connector). The only places you'll see them are over-engineering situations or cable TV networks. I've got the wonky adapters to 'scope them and we've got some at work, (including on one of our OTDR machines) but generally, I try to avoid them.

Do you have an idea whether the box is "just" an Ethernet device or does it do some PON on the WAN side? Since it's apparently is only one fiber (implying BiDirectional WDM) I'd be tempted to suspect Ethernet, but...

My suspicion, as it appears to have both fiber and DSL connection, is that it is Bell Telecom's (one of the 3 major carriers here) attempt at a universal gateway device for SOHO, etc. Aside from that, no idea; I haven't had any time to really dig into it.  :-//   But knowing Bell and their ilk... it is entirely possible that the fiber is downlink only, and they're using a DSL connection in tandem for uplink. That sounds exactly like the kind of BS marketeering they'd employ to try and stay relevant without really upgrading jack shit.  :palm:

I CAN see by looking through the vent holes that it does appear to have a standard SFP socket on the mainboard, so compatibility should be pretty broad; all that should be needed would be a firmware update (maybe just a tickbox in the config) if you wish to change XCVR types.  :-+

Your description of the APC connector is quite apt; remember, this device IS intended to be handled by... *gulp* consumers.  ;)

mnem
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 03:11:59 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #63062 on: July 11, 2020, 03:01:40 pm »
The problem for me with the 34401 is that like so many things these days, its getting to complicated for its own good and is bound to be expensive at some point in its life for its owner. So on that basis, I'm inclined to agree with bd, if you can afford it, buy it new, use it for a couple of years and flip it on again while there is some value left in it before the rot sets in. :-+

If you have some cheapies that are out of cal plus some stable sources, one option might be to rent a decent DMM for a month, and go from there.

When I last looked, decades ago, it appeared that renting things for 10 months equalled the purchase price. Has anybody got more recent and/or specific information? The rental houses give sale prices but don't show rental prices.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63063 on: July 11, 2020, 03:21:28 pm »
   I have always wanted to get myself a reasonable ultrasonic cleaner that was large enough to take a PCB of a reasonable size and I have been jockeying with an eBay seller for a while trying to get 2 Litre one that was big enough at an affordable price. I make an offer, and he kept counter offering, so I decided to wait awhile. He recently dropped the prices to marginally above my best offer, so I struck, but me, being me, still went for an offer and this morning he accepted it and now I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of this magnificent beast which boasts a tank size of 240 x 135 x 100 which will accommodate the PCB from the 4503, half at a time so it would require 2 passes but so much more efficient at cleaning than just scrubbing with a toothbrush and bending everything to get down to board level in places.

Congrats on wearing the poor fuckard down, ya cheap Ferengi bastahd!  :-DD

Just remember when you're doing boards that way, to avoid having the trace side lay against the metal. I've read that the vibration of the part still in the air can create a static charge.  :o  Not sure if that's a real issue or old wives' tale, as I've never tried to do half at a time, but better to err on the side of caution. :-//

mnem
Remind me to never play Poker with you. >:D

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #63064 on: July 11, 2020, 03:38:09 pm »
Gee, I go through all the trouble of pulling stuff off bench 1 so I could jackass that 561B up there and have room for the plug in extension and there it sits. Sitting here drinking a coffee and suddenly lack the motivation to work on it.  ::) Think I'll go get real lazy and watch TV instead. ;D

I do plan on being on Discord later unless I become a total vegetable.  :P

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63065 on: July 11, 2020, 03:44:08 pm »
That’s what I did when I woke up this morning. Managed to motivate myself to wash the car, got to the garage and just went through the machine like a lazy bastard  :-DD

Will be on discord.

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #63066 on: July 11, 2020, 03:49:31 pm »
HP 3478A works fine  8)
i think it fits nicely with the other bricks.

Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63067 on: July 11, 2020, 04:52:33 pm »

So yesterday afternoon, the doorbell dings long after all my Amazon deliveries are accounted for; a largish package from Deutschland, home to the Black Forest and the Nürburgring!

It's the Tek alignment tools Neomys Sapiens brokered for me a few hundred pages back; at first I didn't realize it as I was expecting a package about 1/4 this size.  :-DD Needless to say, thanks to NM's zealously cautious packing, they traveled all that way safe as a baby nestled in its momma's arms, arriving in pristine condition. ;) Going by the copyright date, this kit dates back to the year I was born, and so is intended for Tek gear much more akin to what med is working on than my beloved 24xx series. I know I'll still find use for them however; the ToolDwagon has never had a tool go unused.  >:D

med, if you find yourself needing any of these, let me know; I'll happily send them your way on an "indefinite loan" basis.

Here's the catalog listing with Tek part numbers; they're all the usual hex & slotted tips in 1/4" & 1/8" sizes, only custom lengths and insulated for use around HV and tube bias voltages.  :-+  Well, all except the Tek 003-0521-00, shown here by my assistant...  ;)

However, as this IS the TEA Lounge, of course NS sent along an "extra goodie". Everybody, say hello to Random Workbench Terror Object Number 7727>:D

Thanks for making this TEA possible, Neomys Sapiens! If you ever make your way up to my neck of the Great White North, I owe ya a round!

mnem
NO :-BROKE FOR YOOOO!!!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 05:05:22 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Neomys Sapiens, bd139, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63068 on: July 11, 2020, 05:04:26 pm »
Fucking hell its insane out there on eBay. Outbid on a duff Keithley 175  :--

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63069 on: July 11, 2020, 05:06:49 pm »
*makes mental note to also list industrial sewing machine on fleaBay when it's finished*

mnem
 :popcorn:

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #63070 on: July 11, 2020, 05:25:04 pm »
Ok guys, here is a little riddle for you.

What is this?

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63071 on: July 11, 2020, 05:43:42 pm »
micro homogenizer

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63072 on: July 11, 2020, 05:46:50 pm »
Typically used to break up organic material / tissue to release cell contents.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #63073 on: July 11, 2020, 05:49:05 pm »
micro homogenizer
Typically used to break up organic material / tissue to release cell contents.

Nope.   ;D

Next one?   8) 
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63074 on: July 11, 2020, 05:49:31 pm »
Turbo Encabulator

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, mnementh, Specmaster

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf