Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14549324 times)

Wolfgang, Qw3rtzuiop, MVSantos and 25 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #63125 on: July 12, 2020, 04:17:17 pm »
sent him a link to your posts in the repair section.  that should do the trick......or scare the crap outa' him.

But that person will then see that his avatar is a Smurf giving us all the finger.  :-//

I'm not seeing a downside here...  >:D

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #63126 on: July 12, 2020, 05:27:28 pm »
hey med

contact has been made with the connection.

he appears to be amenable with our terms, but wanted assurance that "It should NOT be powered up without a competent individual electrically going through it first".

sent him a link to your posts in the repair section.  that should do the trick......or scare the crap outa' him.

am expecting a phone call shortly with further instructions.  am hoping it does not involve an abandoned warehouse and a frenchman.

:-DD

Well, did I pass the test or was I ruled incompetent?  :P :P ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #63127 on: July 12, 2020, 06:01:05 pm »
hey med

he appears to be amenable with our terms, but wanted assurance that "It should NOT be powered up without a competent individual electrically going through it first".

am expecting a phone call shortly with further instructions.  am hoping it does not involve an abandoned warehouse and a frenchman.

all this for an extender?  what would be required if you were selling him, say, an old oscilloscope?   :-DD
specialization is for insects.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63128 on: July 12, 2020, 06:26:13 pm »
Gah forgot to bid on that HP power supply. Fortunately no one else bothered and it was relisted  :phew:

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #63129 on: July 12, 2020, 06:57:39 pm »
hey med

all this for an extender?  what would be required if you were selling him, say, an old oscilloscope?   :-DD

It is for a scope. Someone in York, PA has a Type 561B for free on CL. Nixiefreqq is close by in Gettysburg. If we can convince the seller that I know what I'm doing I'll come down to Gettysburg and pick it up and then visit the battlefield. It's about a 4.5 hr drive for me so it will definitely be a road trip.   

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63130 on: July 12, 2020, 07:00:03 pm »
...all this for an extender?  what would be required if you were selling him, say, an old oscilloscope?   :-DD

Something like this:   

med!!! Remember, my Hawaiian shirt IS part of the deal; I want it BACK!!! >:(

mnem
My lucky shirt, man...  :-\
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 08:59:13 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63131 on: July 12, 2020, 07:46:28 pm »
hey med

well he is a really nice guy......and said it looks like you are the proper person to take care of this antique.

appears to be in good shape except for the borked handle.

swmbo has given me strict instructions NOT to plug it in.  the freqq is not scared of tube TE.....but i am afraid of swmbo.

it will remain powered down until you collect it.

free range primate

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63132 on: July 12, 2020, 07:58:40 pm »
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 08:00:45 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: med6753, nixiefreqq

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #63133 on: July 12, 2020, 08:11:41 pm »
hey med

well he is a really nice guy......and said it looks like you are the proper person to take care of this antique.

swmbo has given me strict instructions NOT to plug it in.  the freqq is not scared of tube TE.....but i am afraid of swmbo.

Cool!!! Thanks!!! :-+ This guy will be a parts unit, except for the Type 3B4 Time Base plug-in.

I'll contact you via PM as to what day I'll come to Gettysburg. Probably Wednesday or Thursday.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63134 on: July 12, 2020, 08:40:54 pm »
Gah forgot to bid on that HP power supply. Fortunately no one else bothered and it was relisted  :phew:
Thats why you should be using Gixen, it does not forget unless it has a major malfunction  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #63135 on: July 12, 2020, 08:49:26 pm »
Oculus, I checked the plug-in configuration for the Type 561S vs the Type 561B and yes, there are differences. The Type 561S does have some additional interconnects not found on the Type 561B. So I opened up the extender to check how it's wired and found this. All 24 pins are wired even though some aren't used. So this extender WILL work with a Type 561S.

So if you friend want's it he can have it for the cost of shipping. Let me know and I'll get it in the mail this week.

In other news. Banging my head against the wall trying to figure out why the Type 2B67 Time Base plug-in won't trigger. And why am I having such a difficult time? Because the fucking schematic and manual don't match the unit. Don't know how many times I've run into this with Tek stuff. I looked to see if I could find other variants or updates to the manual but so far no joy.  :palm:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63136 on: July 12, 2020, 08:52:02 pm »

https://www.newegg.com/iogear-gw4k30gh60/p/N82E16815290099

I read an article about 60GHz spectrum allocation a few years ago; this is the first consumer application I've seen of the technology. When you get into these frequencies, the air itself becomes a physical barrier; for certain applications this is a pro, not a con. :-+

https://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/sub10-systems-oxygen-absorption-makes-60-ghz-perfect-for-backhaul

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 08:56:40 pm by mnementh »

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #63137 on: July 12, 2020, 08:56:04 pm »
Oculus, I checked the plug-in configuration for the Type 561S vs the Type 561B and yes, there are differences. The Type 561S does have some additional interconnects not found on the Type 561B. So I opened up the extender to check how it's wired and found this. All 24 pins are wired even though some aren't used. So this extender WILL work with a Type 561S.

So if you friend want's it he can have it for the cost of shipping. Let me know and I'll get it in the mail this week.

In other news. Banging my head against the wall trying to figure out why the Type 2B67 Time Base plug-in won't trigger. And why am I having such a difficult time? Because the fucking schematic and manual don't match the unit. Don't know how many times I've run into this with Tek stuff. I looked to see if I could find other variants or updates to the manual but so far no joy.  :palm:

Thanks, I forwarded that to him. If he still wants it I'll either put you two in contact or have you send it to me and he will pay me the cost of shipping which I can send on to you.

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #63138 on: July 12, 2020, 09:03:18 pm »
hey med

Cool!!! Thanks!!! :-+ This guy will be a parts unit, except for the Type 3B4 Time Base plug-in.

I'll contact you via PM as to what day I'll come to Gettysburg. Probably Wednesday or Thursday.

ah, now i understand. i confused a scope discussion and an extender discussion. vetting you to make sure you are worthy of that scope makes a lot more sense.   >:D
specialization is for insects.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63139 on: July 12, 2020, 09:05:30 pm »
That's great... thanks for including me in your little cosplay.  >:D Did you get my shirt back yet...?

mnem
 :popcorn:

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #63140 on: July 12, 2020, 09:08:34 pm »
hey med

ah, now i understand. i confused a scope discussion and an extender discussion. vetting you to make sure you are worthy of that scope makes a lot more sense.   >:D

Yea, I feel like I had to be "proofed" to buy booze.  :P :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #63141 on: July 12, 2020, 09:10:23 pm »
That's great... thanks for including me in your little cosplay.  >:D Did you get my shirt back yet...?

mnem

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #63142 on: July 12, 2020, 09:41:12 pm »

I read an article about 60GHz spectrum allocation a few years ago; this is the first consumer application I've seen of the technology. When you get into these frequencies, the air itself becomes a physical barrier; for certain applications this is a pro, not a con. :-+

https://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/sub10-systems-oxygen-absorption-makes-60-ghz-perfect-for-backhaul

mnem
60 Ghz for consumer stuff, yeah right. Tell us where you can get licensing for such bands.

In other news, our 11 GHz AirFiber backhaul link for community data is up and running albeit not fully optimized to get 1 GHz data speeds just yet. Tricky little buggers to align at just 10km with only a 20 beam.  :o
Still, it's providing a good bit higher throughput than the previous 5 GHz link.  :phew:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #63143 on: July 12, 2020, 09:47:55 pm »

mnem

Don't ask, med. Otherwise you'll get ... answers.   :scared:   :scared:

;)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #63144 on: July 12, 2020, 09:57:58 pm »

mnem
60 Ghz for consumer stuff, yeah right. Tell us where you can get licensing for such bands.

It is an ISM band; no licencing required. You can thank the "oxygen hole" for that.

Oh, also the physical dimensions of transmitter transistors and thermodynamics means that the power output from a single transistor will be a limiting factor for the foreseeable future. Phased array transmitters can overcome that to some extent.

In-room wire replacements is one of the few practical use cases for domestic 60GHz. Between rooms will be very dependent on the wall material and general geometry. Even in-room, I would expect that fiddling with the antenna placement might be necessary.

In other news, our 11 GHz AirFiber backhaul link for community data is up and running albeit not fully optimized to get 1 GHz data speeds just yet. Tricky little buggers to align at just 10km with only a 20 beam.  :o
Still, it's providing a good bit higher throughput than the previous 5 GHz link.  :phew:

I hope that atmospheric changes and foliage changes and object changes don't cause reliability problems. At 10km range I presume you are in the fresnel zone.

You could use 60GHz to give Gb/s speeds to your home, but only from a nearby power/telephone/lighting pole.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 10:02:30 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63145 on: July 12, 2020, 09:58:43 pm »

mnem

If you read the article I linked to, you'd see that frequency allocation is not licensed or is "lightly licensed"... For the time being, anyways.

What I found interesting was not the shortcomings (mostly rain and short distance) but the amount of BW available compared to licensed bands, as long as you're able to work within the short ranges possible. These are the real beginnings of a staple SciFi technology... "narrowcast". It's a great time to be around and in the tech sector!

mnem
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 10:08:25 pm by mnementh »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #63146 on: July 12, 2020, 09:59:29 pm »

60 GHz is unlicensed. :)

https://www.ul.com/news/wireless-60ghz-technologies-and-testing

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #63147 on: July 12, 2020, 10:05:30 pm »

mnem

[...]

This is an excerpt of the official frequency plan of Germany (download pdf here):

I'd assume, that similar definitions would exist in other countries. So, getting a license for such stuff shouldn't be that hard to do.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63148 on: July 12, 2020, 10:43:30 pm »

mnem

[...]

This is an excerpt of the official frequency plan of Germany (download pdf here):   

I'd assume, that similar definitions would exist in other countries. So, getting a license for such stuff shouldn't be that hard to do.

Yes... as I added to my prior post, but not quickly enough...  :palm:

That frequency allocation is not licensed or is "lightly licensed"... For the time being, anyways.

What I found interesting was not the shortcomings (mostly rain and short distance) but the amount of BW available compared to licensed bands, as long as you're able to work within the short ranges possible. These are the real beginnings of a staple SciFi technology... "narrowcast". It's a great time to be around and in the tech sector!

mnem
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 10:46:38 pm by mnementh »

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63149 on: July 12, 2020, 10:43:38 pm »

mnem

If you read the article I linked to, you'd see that frequency allocation is not licensed or is "lightly licensed"... For the time being, anyways.

mnem
:wtf: with all the loonies around with the 5Ghz theories, they'll come and burn down your system saying that 60Ghz will give them Coronavirus 12 times worse  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf