Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14558032 times)

cncjerry, Jambalaya and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #63150 on: July 12, 2020, 10:48:53 pm »
I hope that atmospheric changes and foliage changes and object changes don't cause reliability problems. At 10km range I presume you are in the fresnel zone.
The 5 GHz links have been brilliant and we've had zero issues with rain fade etc for deployment to customers.
AirFiber 11 GHz is another big jump up in HW for us as these things apparently have a 300km range  :o so using them over just 10km with only a 2o fresnel makes them tricky to align as they don't come equipped with precision HW to allow for micro adjustments.
We have them throttled way down but still above our licensed dB ATM and as it's mid-winter here we're not terribly keen on spending much time up masts right now to optimize them. We're getting ~ 500 MB link speed and 1-2 dB channel imbalance which is good enough for now until a nice day comes along and the team of 4 of us can get together (2 @ each end) again to tweak it more. IIRC they have ~12 signal strength indicators and we're getting ~#9 at both ends so we're getting close.  :-/O
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #63151 on: July 12, 2020, 10:54:28 pm »
That's great... thanks for including me in your little cosplay.  >:D Did you get my shirt back yet...?

mnem
 :popcorn:

Don't ask, med. Otherwise you'll get ... answers.   :scared:   :scared:

;)

It's called a diversion, DUH.   ;)

Shifting the blame is a time-honored tradition; one should not be surprised to see it employed by a goofy dwagon when a joke backfires. Just think of it as the equivalent of hiding behind a potted plant in shame...  :palm:

mnem
BTW... that's supposed to be DAFUQ...? Da FAQ is where yo go to find answers to Frequently Asked Questions...  ::)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 10:56:08 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #63152 on: July 12, 2020, 11:47:41 pm »
That's great... thanks for including me in your little cosplay.  >:D Did you get my shirt back yet...?

mnem

Don't ask, med. Otherwise you'll get ... answers.   :scared:   :scared:

;)

It's called a diversion, DUH.   ;)

Shifting the blame is a time-honored tradition; one should not be surprised to see it employed by a goofy dwagon when a joke backfires. Just think of it as the equivalent of hiding behind a potted plant in shame...  :palm:

mnem
BTW... that's supposed to be DAFUQ...? Da FAQ is where yo go to find answers to Frequently Asked Questions...  ::)

You need really a better diversion than a poor potted plant.  :popcorn:
I recommend this guy:

:-+   :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63153 on: July 13, 2020, 12:06:36 am »
 :-DD

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63154 on: July 13, 2020, 12:27:14 am »
:-DD

mnem

have to admit that some of the dragons comments are lost on me.  (he may be overclocked just a scooooch over the limit).

but the dog with the phonograph horn on its head did make me laugh out loud.   

free range primate

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #63155 on: July 13, 2020, 01:48:16 am »
Thanks to FedEx working on Sundays here, I have a shiny new Type 82 plug-in for the 585A. This is (one of) the appropriate plug-ins for the 585A...it does not need the plugin-in adapter and allows the full bandwidth of the scope. After a good warm up and a few alignments to match it to the 585A, it appears to be working perfectly.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, wolfy007, Kosmic, TorinoFermic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63156 on: July 13, 2020, 02:54:22 am »
Now that is some dead-sexy hollow-state goodness right there! Well-played!  :clap:

mnem
 :-/O

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63157 on: July 13, 2020, 03:19:40 am »
Three fatalities in two accidents with ultralight aircraft in southern Germany in one day - I wonder how long those people will continue to try to keep their bloody FLARM out of official surveillance.
Personally, I think it amounts to criminal intent to put up resistance against it.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #63158 on: July 13, 2020, 04:17:21 am »
Have you ever catch by surprise that found a T&M equipment that you thought you never bought it ?  :palm:

Sign of age, isn't it ?  ::)

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #63159 on: July 13, 2020, 06:59:38 am »
Not yet........

Have found one or two things I forgot I had - but have always remembered that I had acquired them.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #63160 on: July 13, 2020, 07:09:13 am »
Three fatalities in two accidents with ultralight aircraft in southern Germany in one day - I wonder how long those people will continue to try to keep their bloody FLARM out of official surveillance.
Personally, I think it amounts to criminal intent to put up resistance against it.

If you want anybody to think about that, more context and explanation is required.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #63161 on: July 13, 2020, 07:25:23 am »
Checked out the LF oscillator.  It is the only piece of hollow state test gear I have (excluding CROs).

Found some foam strips which had perished to dust - which completely collapsed when I removed them.

It works.

There was a curious flat spot on the output level control - and some distortion when the amplitude was near maximum.  Voltage level on scale seemed to not match what I saw on the scope (20.5V indicated; 5.3V p-p on scope for 1kHz signal) - but I wasn't particularly chasing it.  Usable though.

Today's acquisition.

.... now added to my repair queue.

I'm sure Bean would approve - but I have to stop! (for the time being  )
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 07:28:57 am by Brumby »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, wolfy007

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #63162 on: July 13, 2020, 07:35:54 am »

If you want anybody to think about that, more context and explanation is required.

I reckon, he is relating to these two incidents (sorry, both in German):

https://www.presseportal.de/blaulicht/pm/110972/4649894

https://www.presseportal.de/blaulicht/pm/42900/4649400
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63163 on: July 13, 2020, 09:15:06 am »

No apologies necessary. Unfortunately google translate means my schoolboy German has atrophied so that it is now little more than a fantasy!

For Neomys Sapiens to make such comments he must have more information available than is published in those articles. I'm not sure what he means by "...keeping...out of official surveillance".
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #63164 on: July 13, 2020, 09:32:36 am »

No apologies necessary. Unfortunately google translate means my schoolboy German has atrophied so that it is now little more than a fantasy!

For Neomys Sapiens to make such comments he must have more information available than is published in those articles. I'm not sure what he means by "...keeping...out of official surveillance".

I think a mandatory intercom, transponder plus TCAS would reduce accidents. OK, it costs money, but not even funerals are free nowadays.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63165 on: July 13, 2020, 09:38:40 am »

I think a mandatory intercom, transponder plus TCAS would reduce accidents. OK, it costs money, but not even funerals are free nowadays.

For that to happen two things are required: common equipment, and a source of power.

FLARM has power requirments that can be tolerated in unpowered aircraft, i.e. batteries - which perform poorly when they get cold at altitude.

General aviation transponders simply eat too much energy, especially if they are regularly "pinged" by ground based surveillance systems.

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #63166 on: July 13, 2020, 09:50:58 am »

For that to happen two things are required: common equipment, and a source of power.

FLARM has power requirments that can be tolerated in unpowered aircraft, i.e. batteries - which perform poorly when they get cold at altitude.

General aviation transponders simply eat too much energy, especially if they are regularly "pinged" by ground based surveillance systems.

Clear enough, but safety never comes for free.

Offline Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #63167 on: July 13, 2020, 10:25:16 am »
Yet, another Power Clamp Meter, this time IPM138 (AC/DC)

I should stop looking for ISO-TECH @Evilbay  :horse:

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #63168 on: July 13, 2020, 10:54:36 am »

20kW? 82.7A? Through these thin wires? WTF?   :wtf:   :-//

Offline Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #63169 on: July 13, 2020, 10:57:46 am »

20kW? 82.7A? Through these thin wires? WTF?   :wtf:   :-//

Nop. Through 10 turns of 2.5mm2 single core copper wire. The actual current flowing is 8.27A

EDIT: image attached
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 11:06:16 am by Mortymore »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #63170 on: July 13, 2020, 11:54:40 am »
So, I was one week away in Sicily for my covid little honey moon. Thanks the virus no tourits on the beach, on the streets. Everywhere I went, the local people where happy to see some tourits again. It was bombastic!
I never felt like this before, I was like the king of everything.  :-DD  :-DD  :-DD

Anyway I am back and I was happy to see my bench and my toys in my lab again.

I missed you TEA. Tonight I want to solder something, I want that smoke smell back in my face.

Happy to see the TEA machine healty and working full blast as usually.

:)
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

The following users thanked this post: edavid, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, Mortymore, Kosmic, TorinoFermic, tonyalbus

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63171 on: July 13, 2020, 12:31:57 pm »

It is always a tradeoff. Everything is a tradeoff.

The tradeoff is simple if a "safe solution" does not work - drop the non-solution and keep looking for something that does work.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63172 on: July 13, 2020, 12:36:25 pm »

Good idea; switch to this bloke... https://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/auction-catalogues/hunt4auctions

Be aware the starting price is usually below the reserve price, which I find intensely annoying.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63173 on: July 13, 2020, 12:49:55 pm »
So, I was one week away in Sicily for my covid little honey moon. Thanks the virus no tourits on the beach, on the streets. Everywhere I went, the local people where happy to see some tourists again. It was bombastic! I never felt like this before, I was like the king of everything.  :-DD  :-DD  :-DD

Anyway I am back and I was happy to see my bench and my toys in my lab again. I missed you TEA. Tonight I want to solder something, I want that smoke smell back in my face. Happy to see the TEA machine healthy and working full blast as usually.  :)

Welcome home, Z.  ;D

mnem

The following users thanked this post: Zucca

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63174 on: July 13, 2020, 01:01:20 pm »

It is always a tradeoff. Everything is a tradeoff.

The tradeoff is simple if a "safe solution" does not work - drop the non-solution and keep looking for something that does work.

I dunno... I mean, FLARM really isn't that expensive, in Avionics terms. ~US$1800-2000 new.  Of course, for some of these ding-dongs, that's half the budget of their build...  :palm:

It reminds me of something old man Firch, my HS Auto Mech instructor used to repeat to every new class... "Never skimp on brake work, it's more important than the engine. If the car won't go, you're walking. If it won't stop, you're (mouths the word "fucked!") uhhh... pavement pizza."

mnem

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf