Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14552212 times)

TizianoHV, Vince, ProtonFox, fcb and 23 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #63175 on: July 13, 2020, 01:42:48 pm »
gett'n rid of all this small 12V adapters... and a sneak preview of what is coming if you listen well.

8)
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: BILLPOD

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #63176 on: July 13, 2020, 02:25:33 pm »
Got an electronic load for 150€ today.

Will post Fotos later.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #63177 on: July 13, 2020, 02:35:14 pm »
Three fatalities in two accidents with ultralight aircraft in southern Germany in one day - I wonder how long those people will continue to try to keep their bloody FLARM out of official surveillance.
Personally, I think it amounts to criminal intent to put up resistance against it.

If you want anybody to think about that, more context and explanation is required.

I reckon, he is relating to these two incidents (sorry, both in German):

https://www.presseportal.de/blaulicht/pm/110972/4649894

https://www.presseportal.de/blaulicht/pm/42900/4649400

No apologies necessary. Unfortunately google translate means my schoolboy German has atrophied so that it is now little more than a fantasy!

For Neomys Sapiens to make such comments he must have more information available than is published in those articles. I'm not sure what he means by "...keeping...out of official surveillance".

I think a mandatory intercom, transponder plus TCAS would reduce accidents. OK, it costs money, but not even funerals are free nowadays.

For that to happen two things are required: common equipment, and a source of power.

FLARM has power requirments that can be tolerated in unpowered aircraft, i.e. batteries - which perform poorly when they get cold at altitude.

General aviation transponders simply eat too much energy, especially if they are regularly "pinged" by ground based surveillance systems.

Clear enough, but safety never comes for free.

It is always a tradeoff. Everything is a tradeoff.

The tradeoff is simple if a "safe solution" does not work - drop the non-solution and keep looking for something that does work.

I dunno... I mean, FLARM really isn't that expensive, in Avionics terms. ~US$1800-2000 new.  Of course, for some of these ding-dongs, that's half the budget of their build...  :palm:

It reminds me of something old man Firch, my HS Auto Mech instructor used to repeat to every new class... "Never skimp on brake work, it's more important than the engine. If the car won't go, you're walking. If it won't stop, you're (mouths the word "fucked!") uhhh... pavement pizza."

Just so, on all counts.

The cost of FLARM isn't a major impediment, but GA powered aircraft don't have it. There is debate as to when to introduce ab initio glider pilots to FLARM. There are good arguments that FLARM would distract them at critical points, allowing them to miss the non-FLARM aircraft or to not spot that the sky is spitting them out, or that they are about to spin at 1000ft on the downwind leg. (Spinning at 1000ft is exhilarating, when done deliberately)

But we know very little about the specific accidents, so any speculation about whether specific equipment would have helped is worthless. Hence my noting it wasn't (yet) worth thinking about.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Neomys Sapiens

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #63178 on: July 13, 2020, 02:55:56 pm »
gett'n rid of all this small 12V adapters... and a sneak preview of what is coming if you listen well.

8)

Black Sharpie is the case-modder's friend; you can make that little Dremel hickey almost completely go away with just a dab.  :-+ I'm afraid you're going to find that 12.00V-ish at the terminals is going to be too low; voltage drop across the patch wires to your projects can cause a difference of 0.5V or more delivered to the DUT. To give you some idea; even the industrial-duty HP server power supplies (nominally 12.0V) come set to 12.40-12.50V to account for line loss inside the case of the server!

Unless you want to mod the whole setup with remote Vsense, you'll probably be better off set at 12.40-12.50V out on that thing for pretty much anything you'll run into in the real world.

If the delivered voltage is that important to your application, you should probably consider replacing the trimmer with a front-panel pot so you can set delivered voltage dead-nuts on the fly.  :-+

Anything designed to be powered by a wall-wart is typically going to be driven 0.5V-1.5V hotter than rated spec, even for regulated SMPS. As long as you're within that range, you're not going to hurt anything... there's a reason 16V is the most common voltage for brute-force filtering caps in this application.

I recommend a heavy patch cord (16-18gauge) with 5.5 x 2.1mm coax DC / Barrel connector on the end; this will plug into these:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0722J415P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've been using this arrangement on my HP DPS-1200 server Power Supply (and my little homebrew CC/CV PSU) for almost a year; it is just TOO convenient! :-+

mnem
I have the POWAAAAHHH!!!  >:D
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 03:15:31 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline TorinoFermic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #63179 on: July 13, 2020, 02:56:48 pm »
Getting Fluke 8845, someone bid over me !

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63180 on: July 13, 2020, 02:59:10 pm »
No.

mnem
 >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #63181 on: July 13, 2020, 03:04:49 pm »
Getting Fluke 8845, someone bid over me !

Wasn't me for obvious reasons.  :)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63182 on: July 13, 2020, 03:09:04 pm »
Oh, I thought he was asking for someone to bid over him and save him from himself.  :palm:

mnem
Not happenin'...  >:D
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 03:11:01 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, BU508A, TorinoFermic, tonyalbus

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #63183 on: July 13, 2020, 03:12:15 pm »
Oh, I thought he was asking for someone to bid over him and save him from himself.  :palm:

mnem

Glad, that I'm not the only one which is a bit overmotivated.   :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline jxjbsd

• Regular Contributor
  • 喜欢电子技术的网络工程师
« Reply #63184 on: July 13, 2020, 03:14:15 pm »
1022472-0There is not much harvest recently, only a 2467B was received, but the CRT is very good and there are no signs of burns. Upon receipt, it was found that the CH1,CH2 contracted vertically. It was confirmed that the U400 was damaged  |O,and returned to normal after replacement.
Once again, it is proved that the IC of MAXTEK is very easy to damage.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 03:18:31 pm by jxjbsd »
Analog instruments can tell us what they know, digital instruments can tell us what they guess.

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #63185 on: July 13, 2020, 03:18:51 pm »

8)

Black Sharpie is the case-modder's friend; you can make that little Dremel hickey almost completely go away with just a dab.  :-+ I'm afraid you're going to find that 12.00V-ish at the terminals is going to be too low; voltage drop across the patch wires to your projects can cause a difference of 0.5V or more delivered to the DUT. To give you some idea; even the industrial-duty HP server power supplies (nominally 12.0V) come set to 12.40-12.50V to account for line loss inside the case of the server!

Unless you want to mod the whole setup with remote Vsense, you'll probably be better off set at 12.40-12.50V out on that thing for pretty much anything you'll run into in the real world.

If the delivered voltage is that important to your application, you should probably consider replacing the trimmer with a front-panel pot so you can set delivered voltage dead-nuts on the fly.  :-+

Anything designed to be powered by a wall-wart is typically going to be driven 0.5V-1.5V hotter than rated spec, even for regulated SMPS. As long as you're within that range, you're not going to hurt anything... there's a reason 16V is the most common voltage for brute-force filtering caps in this application.

I recommend a heavy patch cord (16-18gauge) with 5.5 x 2.1mm coax DC / Barrel connector on the end; this will plug into these:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0722J415P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've been using this arrangement on my HP DPS-1200 server Power Supply (and my little homebrew CC/CV PSU) for almost a year; it is just TOO convenient! :-+

mnem

Thanks for these tips!..... maybe the sense wires....hmmm it does have those, but now directly on the terminals...if i just bring those out....... well 12.5 also sounds good  :-DD
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL

Offline TorinoFermic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #63186 on: July 13, 2020, 03:21:02 pm »

mnem
Oh well, worth a try
 :scared:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 03:26:04 pm by TorinoFermic »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63187 on: July 13, 2020, 03:41:11 pm »
(Attachment Link) There is not much harvest recently, only a 2467B was received, but the CRT is very good and there are no signs of burns. Upon receipt, it was found that the CH1,CH2 contracted vertically. It was confirmed that the U400 was damaged  |O,and returned to normal after replacement.
Once again, it is proved that the IC of MAXTEK is very easy to damage.

Remember that replacement of this hybrid IC is supposed to require recalibration of the scope. And like U800, these were bleeding edge tech at the time. You don't hold it against a race car when the engine blows while racing; similarly these parts are running very close to limits because this was a very high-performance tool at the time.  :-//

mnem
 :popcorn:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63188 on: July 13, 2020, 03:47:58 pm »
Thanks for these tips!..... maybe the sense wires....hmmm it does have those, but now directly on the terminals...if i just bring those out....... well 12.5 also sounds good  :-DD

Glad to share if my experience can help.  :-+ I appreciate the enthusiasm you bring to our little corner of the 'net. ;)

These are lessons I learned the hard way; the old adage "Make it do or do without."

mnem
"Please learn from my mistakes; don't repeat them."

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63189 on: July 13, 2020, 04:07:35 pm »
[...]

You can do both!  Bring the sense wires out to a couple of banana jacks on the front panel.  Then jumper those to the 12V output normally, but when needed - you can connect sensing cables to the "consumer".   (Have suitable resistors bridging the jumper behind the scenes, so the supply doesn't go  'incontinent' if the sense cable loses connection)...

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63190 on: July 13, 2020, 04:13:01 pm »
If he's planning to use this as a replacement for all those 12V wall-warts while working on things on his bench (like with the addition of one of those DC power tip kits I linked to above) adding remote VSense is probably unnecessary headache, and at worst just inviting Murphy to come kick you in the balls. ;)

mnem
Officer Training 101: "Don't Taunt Murphy!"

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #63191 on: July 13, 2020, 04:19:06 pm »

I know this is the wrong group to look to for advice regarding TEA restraint but here goes...

I have a line on a Tek 575 through a reliable third party. I haven't seen it yet but apparently it works and the price is good though not jammy-git awesome. Now the 575 is big, has a lot of valves, and honestly, I don't test a lot of transistors any more. I am also trying to clear a bunch of gear from here now that I don't much use. I clearly don't need one.

But it is such a freakin' cool piece of kit. I am sorely tempted to pursue.  :palm:

specialization is for insects.

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63192 on: July 13, 2020, 04:24:12 pm »
If he's planning to use this as a replacement for all those 12V wall-warts while working on things on his bench (like with the addition of one of those DC power tip kits I linked to above) adding remote VSense is probably unnecessary headache, and at worst just inviting Murphy to come kick you in the balls. ;)

mnem

My dev process is always:   Dream up a crazy complex solution that solves all known and unknown (and unknowable!) requirements.  Then start simplifying until you get to "Good enough for Australia"!  :D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, worsthorse, tonyalbus

Offline worsthorse

• Super Contributor
  • aina varma, usein väärin
« Reply #63193 on: July 13, 2020, 04:25:27 pm »

mnem

Agreed. I eliminated wall warts on both my radio and test benches with high capacity linear 12VDC supplies that power fused Anderson Power Pole strips. Even my monitors use 12VDC.  I put an inline voltage monitor in various places and it was quickly clear that sensing or constant monitoring weren't necessary.
specialization is for insects.

The following users thanked this post: WattsThat

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #63194 on: July 13, 2020, 04:32:12 pm »

I know this is the wrong group to look to for advice regarding TEA restraint but here goes...

I have a line on a Tek 575 through a reliable third party. I haven't seen it yet but apparently it works and the price is good though not jammy-git awesome. Now the 575 is big, has a lot of valves, and honestly, I don't test a lot of transistors any more. I am also trying to clear a bunch of gear from here now that I don't much use. I clearly don't need one.

But it is such a freakin' cool piece of kit. I am sorely tempted to pursue.  :palm:

What answer you like to hear?  :-DD  , over redundant TEA does not excist.

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #63195 on: July 13, 2020, 04:34:50 pm »

mnem

Agreed. I eliminated wall warts on both my radio and test benches with high capacity linear 12VDC supplies that power fused Anderson Power Pole strips. Even my monitors use 12VDC.  I put an inline voltage monitor in various places and it was quickly clear that sensing or constant monitoring weren't necessary.)

12.5 on the supply sounds good to me  :-DD   (or what ever value in need in production messuring on teh distribution strip later... thanks guys... will always be just try, mesure, adjust.

Offline Ero-Shan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #63196 on: July 13, 2020, 04:37:10 pm »
Looks like that I have a sweet spot for R&S PSU   :palm:   :-DD

There is another one on the way to me, a NGT 20:

It will fit nicely with my NGB 70/5 and NGB 32/10 (once this is repaired)

Ah, we have tons of them at work. And each and every one has pot rot. Turning the voltage knob just a wee bit gives surges to max output voltage.  :o
Apart from that, they're really nice units!

Still hoping I can get some of them not-so-usable-anymores. >:D

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Channel
« Reply #63197 on: July 13, 2020, 04:38:14 pm »
Looks like that I have a sweet spot for R&S PSU   :palm:   :-DD

There is another one on the way to me, a NGT 20:

It will fit nicely with my NGB 70/5 and NGB 32/10 (once this is repaired)

Ah, we have tons of them at work. And each and every one has pot rot. Turning the voltage knob just a wee bit gives surges to max output voltage.  :o
Apart from that, they're really nice units!

Still hoping I can get some of them not-so-usable-anymores. >:D

these ones just look so cool!

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63198 on: July 13, 2020, 05:11:22 pm »

8)

mnem
Way ahead of you here, did this a few months ago now and posted, but instead of a fixed voltage, I used a TTi 1A variable PSU and those very same adaptor set from Amazon  :-+
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 05:13:49 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, tonyalbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63199 on: July 13, 2020, 05:17:41 pm »
 :palm:

mnem
Did somebody call him, now look what you have done, Murphy is on the prowl :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf