Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14566876 times)

klab, BrianInTexas, Vince, K0ELB, factory, wkb and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #63200 on: July 13, 2020, 05:54:00 pm »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, AVGresponding

Offline madao

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #63201 on: July 13, 2020, 07:09:12 pm »

Finished,  TDS5054B-NV  got touchscreen.

I have remove orginal TFT panel without touch digizter and  replace it with modern  panel with LED backlight (innolux G104V1-T03 )and (very good) chinese touch digitzer.  Zero cost, because it came from my job's scrapyard. Solder on TFT RGB TTL cable is painful. (orginal cable is very short and  modern panel connector has offset of 3 cm  |O

brilliant colour and high brightness :-)

Greetings
matt
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 07:16:07 pm by madao »

The following users thanked this post: edavid, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, Mortymore, bd139, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #63202 on: July 13, 2020, 08:10:09 pm »
Newly supplied Li-ion cell @2.4V, recoverable?
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #63203 on: July 13, 2020, 08:27:41 pm »
Today my Rohde & Schwarz NGT 20 power supply arrived.
What a nice and cute PSU. It has no fan and is completely silent.  :-+

I did some checkings and all is working well.
I did not see the jumpings Ero-Shan mentioned,  but the output voltage changes for about 20 - 30mV when the knob for the voltage setting is slightly touched or pushed.

Here are the pictures of this quick teardown:

The front side, looking nice and clean, same goes for the back:

This is the top side with the mains switch and a brittle shrinking tube:

The left side with the transformer in detail:

The right side and the mains input and lots of dust:

The main controller board with lots of 741 and a detailed view of one of the 10x potentiometers, Made in Switzerland:

The bottom, the output capacitors (date code 9033) and the 2N3055 output transistors (date code 9141):

I really like it.  :D
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: edavid, Gerhard_dk4xp, bitseeker, med6753, Specmaster, Mortymore, FransW, tonyalbus

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63204 on: July 13, 2020, 09:17:33 pm »
@tggzzz: Yes, I was rather tired when I wrote that post. Especially as the most applicable of the accidents was not one of the two, but the one in which two belgian sailplanes were involved in what was possibly a mid-air collision.
Also, my mind was partially at work. The situation is such: the manufacturers of equipment for ATC and related surveillance could without any problem integrate FLARM into their systems, so that awareness of these participants in the air traffic could be far better. For that, we would need a FLARM license, with which comes the encoding/decoding SW. This is blocked by some light aviation people who insist that their vehicles should not come under any surveillance except primary radar (which sees them worst and is being thinned everywhere).
Right at the moment, it does not seem as pressing as before, but in the pre-Covid airspace over Europe I consider this an anachronism, as governments and Eurocontrol try to build systems extending their means of awareness and coordination to unmanned systems of decidely smaller size.
Also, I might have been in Error as I thought that powered ultralights use that system too - have to recheck that.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #63205 on: July 13, 2020, 09:30:14 pm »
This is blocked by some light aviation people who insist that their vehicles should not come under any surveillance except primary radar (which sees them worst and is being thinned everywhere).

Not in Sweden; we've had enough Russian air force flights over the Baltic sans transponder that our (Air Force/Naval) primaries are getting beefed up, simply because we need to keep an eye on them for air/sea space management reasons. The Air Force are letting the civilian ATC in on some of the data as well.

As is plainly obvious, secondary radar systems, while offering nice displays with lots of reassuring data, are a coöperative story; unless all involved are playing along, the picture has serious omissions.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63206 on: July 13, 2020, 09:38:06 pm »
 continued from previous:

And while I do see the power requirements and the cost of conventional transponders as prohibitive, we could perfectly do with read-only access to Flarm, especially when it would be considered to include a once-per-minute message when alone in the air.
A common point in many of the recent accidents was that ATC was unaware of them. The reasons for this vary, but another sensing tool might be a remedy.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63207 on: July 13, 2020, 09:39:54 pm »
This is blocked by some light aviation people who insist that their vehicles should not come under any surveillance except primary radar (which sees them worst and is being thinned everywhere).

Not in Sweden; we've had enough Russian air force flights over the Baltic sans transponder that our (Air Force/Naval) primaries are getting beefed up, simply because we need to keep an eye on them for air/sea space management reasons. The Air Force are letting the civilian ATC in on some of the data as well.

As is plainly obvious, secondary radar systems, while offering nice displays with lots of reassuring data, are a coöperative story; unless all involved are playing along, the picture has serious omissions.
Err yes, I've heard Danes complain about you. :popcorn:

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63208 on: July 13, 2020, 09:47:11 pm »

I know this is the wrong group to look to for advice regarding TEA restraint but here goes...

I have a line on a Tek 575 through a reliable third party. I haven't seen it yet but apparently it works and the price is good though not jammy-git awesome. Now the 575 is big, has a lot of valves, and honestly, I don't test a lot of transistors any more. I am also trying to clear a bunch of gear from here now that I don't much use. I clearly don't need one.

But it is such a freakin' cool piece of kit. I am sorely tempted to pursue.  :palm:
I do not recommend  restraint but patience: skip it for a 370.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 09:52:14 pm by Neomys Sapiens »

Offline TorinoFermic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #63209 on: July 13, 2020, 10:27:18 pm »
Got my DE-5000 meter !
1022760-0
 :-DMM

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #63210 on: July 13, 2020, 10:37:14 pm »

Offline TorinoFermic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #63211 on: July 13, 2020, 10:43:22 pm »

Quote from: TorinoFermic on Today at 18:27:18
Got my DE-5000 meter !
> (Attachment Link)
 :-DMM
Two TL-22s?
One to turn into 4 wires kelvin clips with cheap 4-wire the other model is more costly for no fucking reason.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63212 on: July 13, 2020, 10:48:04 pm »
Today my Rohde & Schwarz NGT 20 power supply arrived.
What a nice and cute PSU. It has no fan and is completely silent.  :-+

I did some checkings and all is working well.
I did not see the jumpings Ero-Shan mentioned,  but the output voltage changes for about 20 - 30mV when the knob for the voltage setting is slightly touched or pushed.

Here are the pictures of this quick teardown:

The front side, looking nice and clean, same goes for the back:

This is the top side with the mains switch and a brittle shrinking tube:

The left side with the transformer in detail:

The right side and the mains input and lots of dust:

The main controller board with lots of 741 and a detailed view of one of the 10x potentiometers, Made in Switzerland:

The bottom, the output capacitors (date code 9033) and the 2N3055 output transistors (date code 9141):

I really like it.  :D
Which sort of 741 did they use in those power supplies? I could barely believe it, as even the classics generation has some finer examples.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63213 on: July 14, 2020, 12:03:22 am »
I'm sitting and staring at the Peak website. I'm going to order a ESR-70 and bother whether to order it alone or not. I like that the DCA-75 works as a basic curve tracer, but here is a DCA-55 already.
Would be different if someone not too far away would have an urgent need for one?

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #63214 on: July 14, 2020, 12:28:40 am »
@tggzzz: Yes, I was rather tired when I wrote that post. Especially as the most applicable of the accidents was not one of the two, but the one in which two belgian sailplanes were involved in what was possibly a mid-air collision.

Understood, accepted, and now it is my turn to be tired :)

I believe there were also fatalities in the Netherlands, but I would want to check that. That's a side effect of not having flown recently: "loss of currency". Regaining currency normally entails having check flights with instructors, but that is problematic at the moment!

Also, my mind was partially at work. The situation is such: the manufacturers of equipment for ATC and related surveillance could without any problem integrate FLARM into their systems, so that awareness of these participants in the air traffic could be far better. For that, we would need a FLARM license, with which comes the encoding/decoding SW.

FLARM keeps tight control of their software. The software attempts to understand what the pilost are trying to do (e.g. thermal, ridge soar etc) and adjusts the collision warnings appropriately. That requires that all FLARMs are running the same software, i.e. that all FLARM sets have been updated. That is a solid technical reason, even though it annoys open source/API zealots.

Right at the moment, it does not seem as pressing as before, but in the pre-Covid airspace over Europe I consider this an anachronism, as governments and Eurocontrol try to build systems extending their means of awareness and coordination to unmanned systems of decidely smaller size.

The UK has been very different to Europe, historically, about gliding. There was a famous meeting when this was being hammered out in the late 40s/early 50s when the authorities were made to realise that they didn't want responsibility for gliders, and so handed that to the British Gliding Association. The BGA has been extremely competent, technically and in defending gliding interests.

I haven't heard any objections to SSR, except cost and technical practicality. They don't like rich people (airlines) forcing expensive equipment onto General Aviation owners, especially when the GA owners don't get any benefit.

Also, I might have been in Error as I thought that powered ultralights use that system too - have to recheck that.

Not sure about ultralights. Batteries and antenna mounting will be a problem, especially with ultralights and parasails.

And while I do see the power requirements and the cost of conventional transponders as prohibitive, we could perfectly do with read-only access to Flarm, especially when it would be considered to include a once-per-minute message when alone in the air.

See point above about maintaining common functions across all users.

A common point in many of the recent accidents was that ATC was unaware of them. The reasons for this vary, but another sensing tool might be a remedy.

If they are flying in uncontrolled Class G airspace, then ATControl don't need to be aware of them and actually don't want to have to be aware of them. Awareness -> control -> responsibility -> too much workload.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 12:30:31 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63215 on: July 14, 2020, 12:42:45 am »

If they are flying in uncontrolled Class G airspace, then ATControl don't need to be aware of them and actually don't want to have to be aware of them. Awareness -> control -> responsibility -> too much workload.
You might be on to something here. But in this case I have to wonder why that hyperactive product manager / sales honcho had me work several months on it, as that guy has an ATC background. :o

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63216 on: July 14, 2020, 02:02:23 am »
Sorting components is always good for a surprise. Todays' was discovering that the roll of ominous 1.? Ohm resistors in the piggy box is actually a roll of several hundred Milspec 2.7µH inductors.
Could be worse.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #63217 on: July 14, 2020, 03:15:18 am »
Got my DE-5000 meter !       :-DMM

Welcome to the tan δ side... we have cookies.  >:D

I'm sitting and staring at the Peak website. I'm going to order a ESR-70 and bother whether to order it alone or not. I like that the DCA-75 works as a basic curve tracer, but here is a DCA-55 already.
Would be different if someone not too far away would have an urgent need for one?

In all honesty... I use my DE-5000 a lot more than my ESR70+ nowadays; and now that I have the MS-8911, I'll probably use it even less for the one purpose I do still use it: quick & dirty board diag.  :-//

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=de5000&_ssn=eina-japan&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC2.A0.H0.Xde-5000.TRS0&_nkw=de-5000&_sacat=0

https://www.amazon.com/MASTECH-MS8911-Tester-Scanning-Counts/dp/B07P3J146D

mnem
*heeds Hypnos' siren call*

« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 03:20:44 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: TorinoFermic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #63218 on: July 14, 2020, 03:47:12 am »

Finished,  TDS5054B-NV  got touchscreen.

I have remove orginal TFT panel without touch digizter and  replace it with modern  panel with LED backlight (innolux G104V1-T03 )and (very good) chinese touch digitzer.  Zero cost, because it came from my job's scrapyard. Solder on TFT RGB TTL cable is painful. (orginal cable is very short and  modern panel connector has offset of 3 cm  |O

brilliant colour and high brightness :-)

Greetings
matt

Now THAT is some hardcore MacGyverfyin' right there! Well done!  :clap:

mnem
*knocks self unconscious with a tapir mallet*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: madao, tonyalbus

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #63219 on: July 14, 2020, 05:24:19 am »

Did you notice Reichelt sells them for less EUR than Peak GBP?
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #63220 on: July 14, 2020, 06:50:12 am »
Which sort of 741 did they use in those power supplies? I could barely believe it, as even the classics generation has some finer examples.

They used these from Motorola, made in Korea:

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens, tonyalbus

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #63221 on: July 14, 2020, 07:34:00 am »
Newly supplied Li-ion cell @2.4V, recoverable?

I did, while ago while salvaging laptop cells, its Panasonic 2500mAh cell, using CC & CV PS, set to CC at 50mA and CV at 4.1V, once it reached 4,1V, then did re-cycle charge & discharge at my LiIon charger set at 0.5C. Managed to recover it back, though at about 75% capacity, but I guess it depends on how long its been soaked at that low voltage.

Worth a try though.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #63222 on: July 14, 2020, 08:20:26 am »
Tomorrow's road trip to visit nixiefreqq and pick up the Type 561B and take a quick tour of the Gettysburg battlefield. It will all be easy high speed cruising on interstate highway except the section from Harrisburg to Gettysburg. Going to try to make round trip all in one day but I'll pack an overnight bag just in case. The weather will be hot and clear so A/C use mandatory.

I'll be leaving here about 0430 hours tomorrow.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63223 on: July 14, 2020, 08:22:01 am »
That's "can't be arsed" territory for me :-DD

(also about $65 in fuel here  >:()

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #63224 on: July 14, 2020, 08:27:57 am »

You might be on to something here. But in this case I have to wonder why that hyperactive product manager / sales honcho had me work several months on it, as that guy has an ATC background. :o

There can be many speculations, from the positive to the negatice, with cluelessness in the middle :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf