Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14553198 times)

battlecoder, HalFoster, SingleBitError, Qw3rtzuiop and 19 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #63250 on: July 14, 2020, 01:03:56 pm »
I suggest to bring Mrs. Nixiefreqq a nice and cool RPN calculator as a gift :)

would not touch an rpn calculator even if wearing gloves and a mask. 

and painting it blue would not disguise it.

Not even like this?

(Attachment Link)

not really sure what is going on there.......but......NO!
free range primate

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63251 on: July 14, 2020, 01:06:17 pm »

What if it had Nixie tubes  :popcorn:

that would be a true dilemma.  but fortunately such an animal is not likely to appear at any local hamfest.

free range primate

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #63252 on: July 14, 2020, 01:06:22 pm »

The forum is messing up my attachments!!!  :rant:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63253 on: July 14, 2020, 01:09:53 pm »

The forum is messing up my attachments!!!  :rant:

ok. got the picture.  hmmmmmmm.   

hmmmmmmmm.

scratching my head.

still thinking...................

NO!
free range primate

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63254 on: July 14, 2020, 01:29:28 pm »
So my "Fixer-upper through sheer boredom" just turned up. It's a Racal Dana 9904 that I picked up for €26. A bit dirty, but it's all there and doesn't look like anyone has tried to fix it so far. It powers up, but doesn't count. Lots of retro goodness inside and no custom IC's. There's a nice ovenised 5MHz source inside that I can use even if the device isn't fixable.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

The following users thanked this post: edavid, mnementh, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline TorinoFermic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #63255 on: July 14, 2020, 01:41:43 pm »
God, I have been outbid on the eBay auction: #293644305020
Shall I bid more or look for more safer choice like Keithley DMM6500 or any 6.5 with good screen ?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 01:50:45 pm by TorinoFermic »

Offline Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
« Reply #63256 on: July 14, 2020, 01:58:48 pm »

If they are flying in uncontrolled Class G airspace, then ATControl don't need to be aware of them and actually don't want to have to be aware of them. Awareness -> control -> responsibility -> too much workload.
You might be on to something here. But in this case I have to wonder why that hyperactive product manager / sales honcho had me work several months on it, as that guy has an ATC background. :o

There can be many speculations, from the positive to the negatice, with cluelessness in the middle :)

A lot of glider and ultralight people would rather die young than implement safety devices that cost weight, money or complexity.
The lack of all these goodies has a clear consequence on the accident rate (guess why they are compulsory on larger aircraft),
so its a deliberate decision to live with a considerable risk or leave it. I'm fine with that - as long you just kill yourself, and not some
other people. The sheer number of sad  glider and ultralight crash casualties per year should be enough to start you thinking, however.

Are they really much different than e.g. motorcyclists?  (FX: thinks fondly back to the days of cracking 4 throttles wide open on a 1200cc bike and making the horizon turn into a point, and everything else a blur...   sigh.  To be young again...)

... yeah, those were the days of Golden Earring: ... another radar lover gone, and the good die young.
Why are we still alive ? Was our mere lifestyle too boring sheepish and ordinary - We need to re-evaluate ourselves.  >:D 8) 8)

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #63257 on: July 14, 2020, 02:06:50 pm »
Speaking of roadtrips. I picked up my first ever auction score myself. In Malmo. 2000km in total. Was stopped by customs around midnight. My car was stripped. I was too.

Not gonna do that again any time soon.

Malmo sounds nice to visit once..... i think i pass for the stipdown...though
was the shipping that much that picking it up yourself 2000K was better? or you did a fun trip too?
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #63258 on: July 14, 2020, 02:07:03 pm »
God, I have been outbid on the eBay auction: #293644305020
Shall I bid more or look for more safer choice like Keithley DMM6500 or any 6.5 with good screen ?

This one?

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #63259 on: July 14, 2020, 02:12:37 pm »
Speaking of roadtrips. I picked up my first ever auction score myself. In Malmo. 2000km in total. Was stopped by customs around midnight. My car was stripped. I was too.

Malmo sounds nice to visit once..... i think i pass for the stipdown...though
was the shipping that much that picking it up yourself 2000K was better? or you did a fun trip too?

Shipping stuff *is* stupid expensive, but I'v gotten better at it. Still, it will often double the price of gear I buy. If you don't count time, it was still cheaper than having it shipped.

The following users thanked this post: tonyalbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63260 on: July 14, 2020, 02:13:37 pm »

Quite right, I've just snapped up another to my collection, Casio FX991d, with an = button too  :-DD, its the only calculator I know that does true electronic symbols, in stead of showing 10 to the -6, it shows the u (micro symbol etc), whats not to like? :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63261 on: July 14, 2020, 02:17:06 pm »
My new ultrasonic cleaner arrived today..... a 1L model with a smaller tank then the cheap plastic one I already have  :wtf: :palm:

Already requested (via eBay) that the seller replaces it with the correct one as advertised and the one I ordered, at their cost. Now awaiting on their response  :palm:.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline TorinoFermic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #63262 on: July 14, 2020, 02:18:33 pm »
This one
Yes, mine with many stars. Shall I keep bidding or snipe it ?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 02:22:41 pm by TorinoFermic »

Offline TorinoFermic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #63263 on: July 14, 2020, 02:23:23 pm »
Holy fuck, this FORUM SOFTWARE IS A TRASHFIRE

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #63264 on: July 14, 2020, 02:43:07 pm »
Some fine TEA from Belgium arrived:

Got some other things to do for now, will look at it later.

Found this poor little Lock-In Amplifier on the scrapyard:

Appears to be working at a first glance, will check later too.
Safety devices hinder evolution

The following users thanked this post: edavid, Kosmic, tonyalbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63265 on: July 14, 2020, 03:03:33 pm »
This one

Never bid on something early, unless it has offers on it and you have used up all 3 of your offers and been rejected, then bid the starting amount to prevent anyone else from bidding offering a bit higher than yours and winning it. Once bid, decide what your top price is going to be and then snip it, otherwise if someone else is also after it, you risk them bidding against you and before you know it, your away in the frenzy and bidding the price up all the time. By snipping it, even if there are others after, there is always the possibility that come the auction end, they either forget to bid again, or are prevented for one reason or other from doing so, and if your maximum price has not yet been reached, you stand a good chance of winning it, without showing your hand.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 04:07:59 pm by Specmaster »
Who let Murphy in?

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, BU508A, URI, TorinoFermic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #63266 on: July 14, 2020, 03:04:03 pm »
Newly supplied Li-ion cell @2.4V, recoverable?

I did, while ago while salvaging laptop cells, its Panasonic 2500mAh cell, using CC & CV PS, set to CC at 50mA and CV at 4.1V, once it reached 4,1V, then did re-cycle charge & discharge at my LiIon charger set at 0.5C. Managed to recover it back, though at about 75% capacity, but I guess it depends on how long its been soaked at that low voltage.

Worth a try though.

2.4V is def not terminal for most high-discharge cells, like those used in power tools, as long as it doesn't spend long at that voltage. However for flat-discharge cells, like those used for laptops etc, probably going to reduce capacity and/or life-cycle depending on load. Essentially, the IR increases and the capacity/discharge current curve alters. If you're operating within the confines of the "new curve" (like with a low current-draw LED flashlight), you may not notice any appreciable change in capacity.

mnem
*juicy*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #63267 on: July 14, 2020, 03:10:54 pm »
This one

+1 for Specmaster's advice
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63268 on: July 14, 2020, 03:15:21 pm »
so what do you think guys?   should med be allowed a clean get away with just his precious 561b?   am thinking that he needs at least one hp5245.  (swmbo would be happy to see one going OUT the door for a change).

Oh, NO SIR! You shall not allow him to escape with LESS THAN two 5245s, such that he has adequate stock of parts, and at least 3 "accessory items"  of SWMBO's preference. (Read: "What would she MOST like to see gone...?")  >:D

mnem
*agitating-ily*
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 03:39:57 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63269 on: July 14, 2020, 03:29:19 pm »

If they are flying in uncontrolled Class G airspace, then ATControl don't need to be aware of them and actually don't want to have to be aware of them. Awareness -> control -> responsibility -> too much workload.
You might be on to something here. But in this case I have to wonder why that hyperactive product manager / sales honcho had me work several months on it, as that guy has an ATC background. :o

There can be many speculations, from the positive to the negatice, with cluelessness in the middle :)

A lot of glider and ultralight people would rather die young than implement safety devices that cost weight, money or complexity.
The lack of all these goodies has a clear consequence on the accident rate (guess why they are compulsory on larger aircraft),
so its a deliberate decision to live with a considerable risk or leave it. I'm fine with that - as long you just kill yourself, and not some
other people. The sheer number of sad  glider and ultralight crash casualties per year should be enough to start you thinking, however.

Are they really much different than e.g. motorcyclists?  (FX: thinks fondly back to the days of cracking 4 throttles wide open on a 1200cc bike and making the horizon turn into a point, and everything else a blur...   sigh.  To be young again...)

... yeah, those were the days of Golden Earring: ... another radar lover gone, and the good die young.
Why are we still alive ? Was our mere lifestyle too boring sheepish and ordinary - We need to re-evaluate ourselves.  >:D 8) 8)

Speak for yourself... I've been shot, stabbed, burned up, blowed up, and in a truck that flipped over sixteen times. I've fought, fucked and farted on 3 different continents... I never expected to see 30, much less fifty-somethin'.  >:D

The bitch part now is I have to pay out all those checks I wrote on my poor abused body as a youth...  :o

mnem
"A misspent youth is better by far... than a wise and productive old age..."

Offline TorinoFermic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #63270 on: July 14, 2020, 03:33:28 pm »
Quote from: TorinoFermic on Today at 10:18:33>Quote from: BU508A on Today at 10:17:06
This one

Never bid on something early, unless it has offers on it and you have used up all 3 of your offers and been rejected, then bid the starting amount to prevent anyone else from bidding a bit higher than yours and winning it. Once bid, decide what your top price is going to be and then snip it, otherwise if someone else is also after it, you risk them bidding against you and before you know it, your away in the frenzy and bidding the price up all the time. By snipping it, even if there are others after, there is always the possibility that come the auction end, they either forget to bid again, or are prevented for one reason or other from doing so, and if your maximum price has not yet been reached, you stand a good chance of winning it, without showing your hand.

Excellent advice, I am thinking of stopping bidding it since I clearly remember the quote from Illya Tsemenko with this

Quote from: Illya Tsemenko
Overall repair experience with Fluke 8845/8846A series is very bad, as they are filled with BGA parts, complex firmware and nearly zero of useful troubleshooting information, leave alone schematics or ability to easy backup/restore instrument’s firmware. Together with high cost, this makes it bad competitor to more serviceable Keysight 344xx series DMMs or Keithley 20**/DMM6500 series.
Last thing, holy shit the modify feature is so BROKEN. It don't even edit the original content, it just does on the rendered post. And sometimes eats my lines after inserting broken quotes from modify button.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63271 on: July 14, 2020, 03:36:00 pm »
Holy fuck, this FORUM SOFTWARE IS A TRASHFIRE

Yes, I feel sorry for gnif; trying to administrate SMF (I think that stands for Stupid MuthaFucka) backend on a volunteer basis...  :palm:

mnem
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 03:38:28 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: TorinoFermic

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #63272 on: July 14, 2020, 03:43:51 pm »

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #63273 on: July 14, 2020, 03:54:21 pm »

My comments apply only to gliding. I've no idea about ultralight nor hang gliders nor parascenders since I don't want to use my legs as undercarriage :)

The young tend to take more risks in any walk of life.

I haven't heard anybody object to the cost, weight, or complexity of safety measures. I've heard many debates about whether specific measures can be implemented, and whether they would increase/decrease overall safety. Such debates are essential. In my experience practical measures with a clear benefit are quickly implemented.

That's too simplistic. Gliders can and should do things that large commercial aircraft simply cannot.

other people.

"considerable risk" is a personal value judgement; it is valid that I take a different attitude to you. I do not value a long life above all else, because that would be similar to a long "existence". Having seen and dealt with elderly relatives, I want to "go out with my boots" on doing something I love.

What I choose to do with my body is my business. What I might do with other people's bodies is everybody's business.

The sheer number of sad  glider and ultralight crash casualties per year should be enough to start you thinking, however.

Maybe it is different in Germany. But over here there have been years with zero gliding fatalities;

It is also notable that there is a surprisingly high fatality rate amongst the top glider pilots. They choose to push the envelope, and they only have to get it badly wrong once. Shrug.

Gliding is one of the safer sports; I was much happier that my daughter was flying gliders than I would have been if she had been riding horses, or experimenting with motor bikes etc.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #63274 on: July 14, 2020, 04:00:50 pm »

From southern Sweden to Belgium there are a lot of borders, SE/DK, DK/DE, DE/BE, minimum. Which border got you searched? My money would be on SE/DK, on the Swedish side, by the bridge, but that's just because the extreme right in Sweden has skewed the entire free movement in consort with the rest of Europe not implementing asylum rights or even doing their share of taking care of people.

They must have been looking for drugs. TEA is legal in Sweden. You do not have .NL plates, do you?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf