Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14549476 times)

TERRA Operative, SashPlane, Gertjan, Wolfgang and 19 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Wolfgang

• Super Contributor
  • Its great if it finally works !
    • Electronic Projects for Fun
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #63275 on: July 14, 2020, 04:02:02 pm »

If they are flying in uncontrolled Class G airspace, then ATControl don't need to be aware of them and actually don't want to have to be aware of them. Awareness -> control -> responsibility -> too much workload.
You might be on to something here. But in this case I have to wonder why that hyperactive product manager / sales honcho had me work several months on it, as that guy has an ATC background. :o

There can be many speculations, from the positive to the negatice, with cluelessness in the middle :)

A lot of glider and ultralight people would rather die young than implement safety devices that cost weight, money or complexity.
The lack of all these goodies has a clear consequence on the accident rate (guess why they are compulsory on larger aircraft),
so its a deliberate decision to live with a considerable risk or leave it. I'm fine with that - as long you just kill yourself, and not some
other people. The sheer number of sad  glider and ultralight crash casualties per year should be enough to start you thinking, however.

Are they really much different than e.g. motorcyclists?  (FX: thinks fondly back to the days of cracking 4 throttles wide open on a 1200cc bike and making the horizon turn into a point, and everything else a blur...   sigh.  To be young again...)

... yeah, those were the days of Golden Earring: ... another radar lover gone, and the good die young.
Why are we still alive ? Was our mere lifestyle too boring sheepish and ordinary - We need to re-evaluate ourselves.  >:D 8) 8)

Speak for yourself... I've been shot, stabbed, burned up, blowed up, and in a truck that flipped over sixteen times. I've fought, fucked and farted on 3 different continents... I never expected to see 30, much less fifty-somethin'.  >:D

The bitch part now is I have to pay out all those checks I wrote on my poor abused body as a youth...  :o

mnem
"A misspent youth is better by far... than a wise and productive old age..."

All the sweet memories of old age are made of the sins you commited when you were young, not the times you have been exceptionally nice.

Online Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #63276 on: July 14, 2020, 04:07:15 pm »
My money would be on SE/DK, on the Swedish side, by the bridge

*Ding* *Ding* Winner. The fun part was that I arrived after closing time of my hotels reception so I got to search for another one around 2am. Fun times.

but that's just because the extreme right in Sweden has skewed the entire free movement in consort with the rest of Europe not implementing asylum rights or even doing their share of taking care of people.

Doubt that that was the reason. It was well before the Syrian crisis.

They must have been looking for drugs.

They asked me what my bussiness was in Sweden. I explained I drove 1000km to pickup some TE. Then the looked me over really suspiciously, took my car and told me to strip. Apparently not a very  likely story  :-DD :-DD

You do not have .NL plates, do you?

I'd rather order a pineaple pizza in Rome. Sorry Tony.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63277 on: July 14, 2020, 04:17:04 pm »
All the sweet memories of old age are made of the sins you commited when you were young, not the times you have been exceptionally nice.

To be clear, the sins you got away with :)

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, Wolfgang, mnementh, Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #63278 on: July 14, 2020, 05:25:48 pm »
so what do you think guys?

should med be allowed a clean get away with just his precious 561b?

am thinking that he needs at least one hp5245.  (swmbo would be happy to see one going OUT the door for a change).

LMAO - the 5245L was my gateway drug into the world of HP nixie gear.  Mike needs a 5245L!!

(And here I thought I was bad with about three of them!  That's quite a pile!)  Freqq, do you have any info on the (what looks like) CMC 880 on the bottom left?  I recently acquired an 880B, but haven't done more than bring it up briefly on a variac while monitoring the current draw.  Wondering if there's much info on them in the wild...

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

The following users thanked this post: edavid, mnementh, 0culus, tonyalbus

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #63279 on: July 14, 2020, 05:37:13 pm »
Some fine TEA from Belgium arrived: ...

Whenever I see equipment labeled in MegaCycles, it makes me smile.

mnem
};=)~~~~<
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 01:11:50 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63280 on: July 14, 2020, 05:37:39 pm »
After reading Worsthorse's spare parts story, I decided to hit the local classified ads to try my luck.

Literally 25min before my search someone posted an ads for some RF and electronic parts with no description and few pictures. I quickly requested more pictures, then was able to successfully negotiate the price down and just picked up the lot  ;D

« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 06:02:47 pm by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, edavid, Brumby, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, worsthorse, bd139

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #63281 on: July 14, 2020, 05:40:00 pm »
After reading Worsthorse's spare parts story, I decided to hit the local classified ads to try my luck.

Literally 25min before my search someone posted a ads for some RF and electronic parts with no description and few pictures. I quickly requested more pictures, then was able to successfully negotiate the price down and just picked up the lot  ;D

:-+ :-+ :-+ :-+ 8)
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63282 on: July 14, 2020, 05:53:13 pm »
That's too simplistic. Gliders can and should do things that large commercial aircraft simply cannot.

Ridge running in a 747 is  highly discouraged:)

It's bad enough when the bloody RAF do it up the valley by Hardknot Pass.  >:(
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63283 on: July 14, 2020, 06:12:06 pm »
That's too simplistic. Gliders can and should do things that large commercial aircraft simply cannot.

Oh come on, it's not the V-series anymore.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #63284 on: July 14, 2020, 06:17:21 pm »
just returned from home (up north) to my work appartment (330 mile trip) after burning off a week of overtime.

My nemesis opened their shop again.
Reichelt Shop is open.
And their sales staff is still greeting me with my first name and proposing stuff that I might want or need.
Now here's a quick list:
32" UHD business monitor (QLED)
RTX 2060 Strix graphics card
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x NIB
the electronic load
a new logitech wireless keyboard/mouse (box broken tho)
DVD burner
Emder 3 Pro 3D printer
some 805 smd collection (have not further investigated what's in there)
20m toslink cable

Unfortunately there was no more space left in my Octavia CNG thingie (which is my long range money saving car, 3.5 kg CNG for 65 miles) so I had to leave the Anritsu SA at my home place.
Still need to unload the car and lug it all up onto the 2nd floor (3rd floor for you 'mericans, we start counting at 0).

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, Kosmic, AVGresponding

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #63285 on: July 14, 2020, 06:18:15 pm »
Newly supplied Li-ion cell @2.4V, recoverable?

I did, while ago while salvaging laptop cells, its Panasonic 2500mAh cell, using CC & CV PS, set to CC at 50mA and CV at 4.1V, once it reached 4,1V, then did re-cycle charge & discharge at my LiIon charger set at 0.5C. Managed to recover it back, though at about 75% capacity, but I guess it depends on how long its been soaked at that low voltage.

Worth a try though.

2.4V is def not terminal for most high-discharge cells, like those used in power tools, as long as it doesn't spend long at that voltage. However for flat-discharge cells, like those used for laptops etc, probably going to reduce capacity and/or life-cycle depending on load. Essentially, the IR increases and the capacity/discharge current curve alters. If you're operating within the confines of the "new curve" (like with a low current-draw LED flashlight), you may not notice any appreciable change in capacity.

mnem
*juicy*

It's a 2000mAh Turnigy 18650 spanker from HobbyKing. The other one shipped with it measured 3.59V.
I guess this one sat in the warehouse a bit too long.

I'm used to coaxing undervolt batteries back to life with very low current, but the tendency of rechargeable lithium batteries to spontaneously combust had me being very cautious with this one.
I started by manually tickling it with 40mA or so until I could see the voltage going up, and not immediately crashing when I removed the leads.
Once I got it to 2.8V, I jury-rigged a battery holder from a speed clamp and some battery tag-strip, and put it on a 4V limit @60mA.
Obviously I didn't leave it on overnight or while I was at work...
Monitoring the voltage with the 7065, current up to 70mA, V at 3.48517 and climbing slowly.
It's for a colleague's solar powered water feature, bit too much water featured in the old pack. Fingers crossed I can recover the BPC, it was crustier and rustier than I expected...

In TEA news, I "accidentally" acquired another PSU... Rapid rebranded Manson EP613. Why do people never overbid my maiden bid on stuff I don't need?   :palm:
Only £20+£11p&p, so not the end of the world. Don't like the use of shrouded banana sockets though, binding posts are much better as we all know.
My quantity of power supplies is rapidly approaching "A suffusion of yellow", along with my DMMs...
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63286 on: July 14, 2020, 06:25:19 pm »
@IceTea your getting frisked reminds me of stuff happening at FFM airport.

collected my box from the carousel, lugged it through customs (the RED exit)
Told them: I have a bow, here's the invoice
Customs: what do you want with that ?
me: none of your fucking business. It's free under German gun laws, here's the invoice and the credit card bill. Do your duty.
Customs: open it !
me: no. There is no way I am taking out a compound bow and arrows in the airport. Put it onto your xray machine if you do not believe my declaration.
Customs: still making a fuss.
me: look, this is really not your concern. It is legal for me to take this with me.  What's yer problem ...
Customs: still making fuss
me: look, I am going to answer your fucking question because my driver is waiting outside. I am gonna put it next to my collection of firearms and explosives, care for it, caress it, etc.
Customs now slightly alarmed; illegal firearms ?
me: how stupid do you think I am ? do you honestly think I was stupid enough to tell you about my collection if it was not properly licensed ? Go harass someone else and let me pass. Otherwise get me your manager.
Customs: waved my through.

The following users thanked this post: tautech, Brumby, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63287 on: July 14, 2020, 06:27:15 pm »
Are they really much different than e.g. motorcyclists?  (FX: thinks fondly back to the days of cracking 4 throttles wide open on a 1200cc bike and making the horizon turn into a point, and everything else a blur...   sigh.  To be young again...)
... yeah, those were the days of Golden Earring: ... another radar lover gone, and the good die young.
Why are we still alive ? Was our mere lifestyle too boring sheepish and ordinary - We need to re-evaluate ourselves.  >:D 8) 8)

Speak for yourself... I've been shot, stabbed, burned up, blowed up, and in a truck that flipped over sixteen times. I've fought, fucked and farted on 3 different continents... I never expected to see 30, much less fifty-somethin'.  >:D

The bitch part now is I have to pay out all those checks I wrote on my poor abused body as a youth...  :o

mnem
"A misspent youth is better by far... than a wise and productive old age..."

All the sweet memories of old age are made of the sins you committed when you were young, not the times you have been exceptionally nice.

Amen brutha... I think a lot of what excites you as a youth (which defines your adult tastes to a large degree) is directly related to locus and availability. I grew up poor in a rural area which hometown happened to be home to a circuit dirt-oval racetrack, and neighbors owned a Yamaha dealership. I got into dirt bikes and stock car racing simply because I could kibbutz with wealthier neighbors for free, and glommed me some serviceable hand-me down. These experiences formed my taste for ground-based speed-junky-ing at a young age, which later evolved into street bikes and ponycars as an adult with discretionary income. I still miss the adrenaline rush of carving corners on my GPZ1100 and hunting 'vette's on my H1/H2 Kawasakis (500/750cc 2-stroke triples that would literally accelerate out from under you if you didn't grip them with your knees like a riding a bucking bronco); I lived for the grin.  >:D

Not that I didn't dream of flying and flight-related sports; I did, I still do, and that lifetime dream is what still fuels my FPV model aviation hobby. The bottom line was always the cost of entry; there simply was not enough discretionary money at any time in my life that I could ever seriously consider any kind of personal aircraft hobby, even as a member of a coop.

I learned in my 30s how quickly the reflexes dull if you don't use them every day; after only a few years away from the clip-on handlebars life, I bought a 900 Ninja. I returned it to the dealership in less than a week because I found that it simply was more bike than I could handle; I knew I'd just keep pushing the my own personal envelope trying to get that rush again, and I wouldn't live long enough to pay the thing off. I'd lost my edge.  :-\

I've had me a few boulevard cruisers since then; of course it's not the same. You can't just take the motorcyclist out of the equation; Conservation of Energy refuses to allow the psychic force of such a driving passion to simply evaporate. But since we had the kids, those toys are long ago packed away until both of them have grown up and developed some common sense; I know viscerally that it was sheer dumb luck I survived those raging-hormone years of being 10 feet tall & bulletproof. ;)

mnem
*sigh*
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 07:33:21 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: klab

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63288 on: July 14, 2020, 06:27:25 pm »
I suggest to bring Mrs. Nixiefreqq a nice and cool RPN calculator as a gift :)

would not touch an rpn calculator even if wearing gloves and a mask. 

and painting it blue would not disguise it.
Quite right, I've just snapped up another to my collection, Casio FX991d, with an = button too  :-DD, its the only calculator I know that does true electronic symbols, in stead of showing 10 to the -6, it shows the u (micro symbol etc), whats not to like? :-DD
Not quite. My 28S can do.

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63289 on: July 14, 2020, 06:28:48 pm »
I have a line on a Tek 575 through a reliable third party. I haven't seen it yet but apparently it works and the price is good though not jammy-git awesome. Now the 575 is big, has a lot of valves, and honestly, I don't test a lot of transistors any more. I am also trying to clear a bunch of gear from here now that I don't much use. I clearly don't need one.

But it is such a freakin' cool piece of kit. I am sorely tempted to pursue.  :palm:

You should hold out for a 577D1.  It is way cooler, and maybe not quite as heavy.

Online Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
« Reply #63290 on: July 14, 2020, 06:31:27 pm »
@IceTea your getting frisked reminds me of stuff happening at FFM airport.

<snip>

Frisked it when you still have your clothes on, right? In that case, I was not frisked.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63291 on: July 14, 2020, 06:34:44 pm »
Newly supplied Li-ion cell @2.4V, recoverable?

I did, while ago while salvaging laptop cells, its Panasonic 2500mAh cell, using CC & CV PS, set to CC at 50mA and CV at 4.1V, once it reached 4,1V, then did re-cycle charge & discharge at my LiIon charger set at 0.5C. Managed to recover it back, though at about 75% capacity, but I guess it depends on how long its been soaked at that low voltage.

Worth a try though.

2.4V is def not terminal for most high-discharge cells, like those used in power tools, as long as it doesn't spend long at that voltage. However for flat-discharge cells, like those used for laptops etc, probably going to reduce capacity and/or life-cycle depending on load. Essentially, the IR increases and the capacity/discharge current curve alters. If you're operating within the confines of the "new curve" (like with a low current-draw LED flashlight), you may not notice any appreciable change in capacity.

mnem
*juicy*

It's a 2000mAh Turnigy 18650 spanker from HobbyKing. The other one shipped with it measured 3.59V.
I guess this one sat in the warehouse a bit too long.

I'm used to coaxing undervolt batteries back to life with very low current, but the tendency of rechargeable lithium batteries to spontaneously combust had me being very cautious with this one.
I started by manually tickling it with 40mA or so until I could see the voltage going up, and not immediately crashing when I removed the leads.
Once I got it to 2.8V, I jury-rigged a battery holder from a speed clamp and some battery tag-strip, and put it on a 4V limit @60mA.
Obviously I didn't leave it on overnight or while I was at work...
Monitoring the voltage with the 7065, current up to 70mA, V at 3.48517 and climbing slowly.
It's for a colleague's solar powered water feature, bit too much water featured in the old pack. Fingers crossed I can recover the BPC, it was crustier and rustier than I expected...

In TEA news, I "accidentally" acquired another PSU... Rapid rebranded Manson EP613. Why do people never overbid my maiden bid on stuff I don't need?   :palm:
Only £20+£11p&p, so not the end of the world. Don't like the use of shrouded banana sockets though, binding posts are much better as we all know.
My quantity of power supplies is rapidly approaching "A suffusion of yellow", along with my DMMs...

Oh, I misunderstood your original post.  Now that you've tried to charge it, you're probably not going to be able to get it replaced under warranty; HobbyKing is actually pretty good about that. I've had a couple packs that arrived grossly out of balance, with a cell or two much lower than they should be. A message to their support with a photo of the pack and a cell checker showing that a cell was well under "storage charge" when it arrived, and they just sent a new one. Via the slowest shipping possible of course from the Hong Kong warehouse; but still... they replaced it.

mnem
 :-/O

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63292 on: July 14, 2020, 06:34:50 pm »

The last time it happened to me I think it was a Tornado, but I can't be sure. The buggers come in so low and so fast that if they're above your head you just have time to register their presence, but not enough time to do any aircraft recognition. Of course if they're below you, it's different, you have a fair change of figuring out what it was that just made your teeth rattle. Vis:

or:

Yes, he is banking hard at perhaps 50 feet (and he's climbing), and yes, that is a public road at most 400 m in front of him.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63293 on: July 14, 2020, 06:35:26 pm »
I'm sitting and staring at the Peak website. I'm going to order a ESR-70 and bother whether to order it alone or not. I like that the DCA-75 works as a basic curve tracer, but here is a DCA-55 already.
Would be different if someone not too far away would have an urgent need for one?

Did you notice Reichelt sells them for less EUR than Peak GBP?
No, I haven't. Now I have to consider whether I trust Reichelt not to sell chinese copies.
Also, I HAVE noticed that you have a newer and probably more capable lock-in amplifier than me now, which is something I disapprove of. Totally.
(Off to look for SRS offers)

The following users thanked this post: capt bullshot

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63294 on: July 14, 2020, 06:49:02 pm »

[/quote]

Yes, he is banking hard at perhaps 50 feet (and he's climbing), and yes, that is a public road at most 400 m in front of him.
[/quote]
It is the very definition of SATF that 400m is WAYYY to early to pull up for that!

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63295 on: July 14, 2020, 06:57:21 pm »

And their sales staff is still greeting me with my first name and proposing stuff that I might want or need.

Uhuh. When there was still a decent toolmonger here (not a Hoffmann or other chain dependance) they had an insane grin fixed on their faces any time I came through that door. When they offer you a coffee, it has gone too far. I still have the invoice somewhere from a particularely bad day around 89'. It has 5 digits.

You should be glad that you don't live in Munich. Bürklin has a walk-in store there.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 07:00:10 pm by Neomys Sapiens »

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63296 on: July 14, 2020, 06:58:40 pm »
hey cub

well they sure look the same.

my recollection is that mine was made by AEL in philly.  the navy bought boat loads of them (literally).

it is imho a piece of crap compared to a 5245/48.

the display boards are flimsy.  the nixies are bi-quinary. (bi-feckin'-quinary!).  the front panel layout is not intuitive. and the trigger is finicky and not reliable.

bama has TM's under  an-usm-207a.

oh crap.  the dragon is right.  med will need some spare display boards for the 5248.  now what box are those in? (back to the basement).
free range primate

The following users thanked this post: edavid, mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #63297 on: July 14, 2020, 07:09:23 pm »
hey cub

well they sure look the same.

my recollection is that mine was made by AEL in philly.  the navy bought boat loads of them (literally).

it is imho a piece of crap compared to a 5245/48.

the display boards are flimsy.  the nixies are bi-quinary. (bi-feckin'-quinary!).  the front panel layout is not intuitive. and the trigger is finicky and not reliable.

bama has TM's under  an-usm-207a.

oh crap.  the dragon is right.  med will need some spare display boards for the 5248.  now what box are those in? (back to the basement).

Oh shit.  :palm: :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63298 on: July 14, 2020, 07:12:06 pm »
@IceTea your getting frisked reminds me of stuff happening at FFM airport.   <snip>

Frisked is when you still have your clothes on, right? In that case, I was not frisked.

As long as there was no cavity search involved, I'd say call it a good day...   ;)

mnem
Unless, of course, you're into that sortof thing; then by all means, feel cheated. :o
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 07:13:59 pm by mnementh »

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63299 on: July 14, 2020, 07:13:51 pm »

Uhuh. When there was still a decent toolmonger here (not a Hoffmann or other chain dependance) they had an insane grin fixed on their faces any time I came through that door. When they offer you a coffee, it has gone too far. I still have the invoice somewhere from a particularely bad day around 89'. It has 5 digits.

You should be glad that you don't live in Munich. Bürklin has a walk-in store there.

I lived in Munich a long time ago. Did not like it, too many snobbish people looking down on anybody not Schickeria.
Don't need Bürklin, I am doing 5 digit purchases with Reichelt on a regular basis.
The sales staff and their team lead know me and my interests well at this time, all of them greet me when I enter the store, and I get VIP treatment. There are times when I leave there with an SUV full of stuff (SUV being Ford Expedition size).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf