Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14786198 times)

Offline TorinoFermic

• Regular Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #64050 on: July 21, 2020, 10:50:51 pm »
Really for a 5 times used Rigol DS1054Z bid listing ?
"I am a tinkerer, bought this in January 24, 2020, used it maybe 5 or 6 times. This scope is way too complex for me,  I bought a simple to use old school CRT scope, selling this one." from eBay auction: #293656856451  :-DD 

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #64051 on: July 21, 2020, 10:52:30 pm »
Is that a red head or a Purple People Eater?  >:D >:D :-DD

Here's one that's more your speed, buddy.  >:D

mnem
Guarantee she's less trouble than your last one. :-DD
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64052 on: July 21, 2020, 10:56:34 pm »
"I am a tinkerer, bought this in January 24, 2020, used it maybe 5 or 6 times. This scope is way too complex for me,  I bought a simple to use old school CRT scope, selling this one." from eBay auction: #293656856451  :-DD

Well, as I own one... I can say from experience that the 1054Zed is anything but intuitive to use.

mnem
 :-//
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline TorinoFermic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #64053 on: July 21, 2020, 11:29:33 pm »
Quote from: TorinoFermic on Today at 18:50:51
"I am a tinkerer, bought this in January 24, 2020, used it maybe 5 or 6 times. This scope is way too complex for me,  I bought a simple to use old school CRT scope, selling this one." from
eBay auction: #293656856451  :-DD

Well, as I own one... I can say from experience that the 1054Zed is anything but intuitive to use.

mnem
Oh, I wasn't aware of it even after reading many posts with these users. Recently, they say Rigol has fixed everything they could for this model. And yet, there's UI issues for the last firmware version ?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 11:46:24 pm by TorinoFermic »

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64054 on: July 21, 2020, 11:37:23 pm »
I have a hankering for sausages now  :-DD

You always have a hankering for sausages. Probably with chips...
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #64055 on: July 22, 2020, 12:56:04 am »
Ohh, if we are talking about injuries, how does a few months with stitches in your eye grab you?
(Green stuff is fluorescence dye to show up the details)

I can't say I recommend it.... Insurance payout was kind though (got me a few nice bits of test gear, so that's nice... :D )

On the subject of test gear, I have this gauss meter that was dumped in my lap for free when I picked up my HP 3475A LCR meter.
I don't have probes for it and have yet to get a quote... How useful are these things, Any votes on restoration vs a retirement teardown? :)
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ad-s.co.jp%2Fproduct%2Fhgm%2F8300SW.html
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64056 on: July 22, 2020, 01:20:38 am »

mnem
Oh, I wasn't aware of it even after reading many posts with these users. Recently, they say Rigol has fixed everything they could for this model. And yet, there's UI issues for the last firmware version ?
LOL... not sure. Been a year since mine saw the light of day. ;)

mnem
*wibble* :o
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 01:28:33 am by mnementh »

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64057 on: July 22, 2020, 02:37:13 am »
Finally received my Mastech MS8911 LCR tweezer.

like mnem, I'm not disappointed. It switch automatically between serial and parallel, got 4 test frequencies (100Hz, 120Hz, 1kHz, 10kHz) and 2 voltage levels (0.1, 0.5V). It also come with a calibration certificate. Not sure of the accuracy but at least the serial number on the tweezer and the certificate is the same  :)

Did some measurement on my capacitance standard and decade resistor and was mostly spot on. Accuracy seem better than the specs.

158pF

2.5nF

5.0nF

10nF

100\$\Omega\$

Interesting resolution and accuracy with 0.06\$\Omega\$

Overall not bad for a 46$ LCR meter  :)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 03:40:02 am by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, bitseeker, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, TorinoFermic

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #64058 on: July 22, 2020, 02:44:35 am »
I have the MS8910 and I read that this model grips the part better. How did they make the tweezers work better? I'm thinkin' I can bend or file mine to match ...  :-DD
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64059 on: July 22, 2020, 02:48:47 am »
I have the MS8910 and I read that this model grips the part better. How did they make the tweezers work better? I'm thinkin' I can bend or file mine to match ...  :-DD

Better material maybe ? other than the model number, the MS8910 and MS8911 seem to be really different.

Closeup on the blades of the MS8911

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Specmaster

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #64060 on: July 22, 2020, 02:53:08 am »
Thanks Kosmic for that pic. Yep the pointy end is different. Mine end in a sharp point and those have a double-point and they are not curved as much as mine.

Hmmm ... Methinks I can make a change with a file and various other impact instruments. We will report back if successful.

:-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64061 on: July 22, 2020, 03:06:53 am »
Don't be too disappointed if giving the 8910 forked tips to grip doesn't make all your problems go away; there is a huge difference in the plastic legs of the tweezers as well. The 8911 is much more rigid; virtually zero lateral deflection when squeezing. The legs on the 8910 are like wet noodles flopping all over the place in comparison.

Good luck!

mnem
 :popcorn:

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #64062 on: July 22, 2020, 03:24:17 am »
I have the 8910 and I have found the lateral deflection a hassle.  Makes it just that more challenging with single pointy tips.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64063 on: July 22, 2020, 06:27:57 am »

......... Shall I see if Mnem can drum up a spare redhead for you? He seems to keep them on tap for occasions like this; perhaps Brandi is free?

You want him to recover, not wind up 6 feet under.  :-DD

BTW, who's Brandi?  :-//
I thought of her, incidentally:
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 06:39:13 am by Neomys Sapiens »

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, Specmaster

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64064 on: July 22, 2020, 07:27:37 am »
Finally received my Mastech MS8911 LCR tweezer.

like mnem, I'm not disappointed. It switch automatically between serial and parallel, got 4 test frequencies (100Hz, 120Hz, 1kHz, 10kHz) and 2 voltage levels (0.1, 0.5V). It also come with a calibration certificate. Not sure of the accuracy but at least the serial number on the tweezer and the certificate is the same  :)

<SNIP>

Overall not bad for a 46$ LCR meter  :)

Printed model number and date (dot matrix style) but stick-on serial number - I'd not trust that.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #64065 on: July 22, 2020, 07:41:46 am »
Ohh, if we are talking about injuries, how does a few months with stitches in your eye grab you?

Oh dear, I hope you will recover 100% with some patience. Could you sleep at night?
Nasty nasty shit.
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #64066 on: July 22, 2020, 07:42:25 am »
I thought of her, incidentally

nice melons.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64067 on: July 22, 2020, 07:54:03 am »
Thanks Kosmic for that pic. Yep the pointy end is different. Mine end in a sharp point and those have a double-point and they are not curved as much as mine.

Hmmm ... Methinks I can make a change with a file and various other impact instruments. We will report back if successful.

:-+
Please re-read TM9-243: Use and Care of Hand Tools and Measuring Tools
A file is NOT an impact instrument!

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #64068 on: July 22, 2020, 08:04:00 am »
Reporting in and no I am not dead nor is anyone close to me  :-+ Just burning up some heavy road miles keeping everyone safe and well and saving some time by TEA avoidance.

I will Return and that is a threat >:D
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: tautech, Zucca, Brumby, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, wolfy007, bd139, Kosmic

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #64070 on: July 22, 2020, 08:13:59 am »

Oh dear, I hope you will recover 100% with some patience. Could you sleep at night?
Nasty nasty shit.

It was a couple years ago now, sight is good enough to drive without glasses, luckily the scar is to the side of my iris so my line of sight is clear.
Had to wear non-corrective contact lenses to shield my eyelids from the scratchy stitces and it was a pain in the arse for months, but I got one of the best eye doctors in Tokyo so I could see again a couple days after the accident.
Due to the replacement lens and the scar, I can't focus that eye and I have a little astigmatism, but a couple pairs of glasses (long distance and short distance) has me at almost perfect vision.

What's funny is my eyesight without glasses is still better than my wife without glasses. :D

Moral of the story, wear safety glasses, even when you think you don't need them.
Brittle PVC drainpipe tends to shatter and turn into quite nice eye-seeking ninja stars......
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, BU508A, mnementh, bd139

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #64071 on: July 22, 2020, 08:21:11 am »
Thanks TERRA for the story, I still forgot the eyes protection 1 out of 10 times.  |O
Once I was dremelling out some plastic and I heard BANG and something hit me above my right eyes on the forehead.

:phew:  :phew:  :phew:

Sometime we need to remember there is no restore button.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #64072 on: July 22, 2020, 08:22:00 am »
Dammittt... where's bean...? He should be recounting one of his many mishaps right aboot noow... and suggesting the proper seasoning for my last post.   :-DD

mnem
I miss that ozzie reprobate...   :-\

I resemble that  :-DD Yep fingers into a Mandolin at 10pm in a Cafe doing prep by myself. Post mid Night Chainsaw massacre cleanup with a very throbbing hand covered with superglue.  :palm:
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #64073 on: July 22, 2020, 08:54:44 am »
On other notes for all Nixie tube enthusiasts:

Dalibor Farny is going to build a 150mm Nixie tube for a special project (customer request)
He is calling this "Project H".
This is the link to his playlist about the "project H":

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_X_JzG6cJRj6uapia0F7BFDLNUc7FMEX
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64074 on: July 22, 2020, 08:54:54 am »

I can't say I recommend it.... Insurance payout was kind though (got me a few nice bits of test gear, so that's nice... :D )

On the subject of test gear, I have this gauss meter that was dumped in my lap for free when I picked up my HP 3475A LCR meter.
I don't have probes for it and have yet to get a quote... How useful are these things, Any votes on restoration vs a retirement teardown? :)
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ad-s.co.jp%2Fproduct%2Fhgm%2F8300SW.html
Wow, I was even aware that you could actually have stitches in an eye, that must have been a real bitch.  :scared:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf