Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14552555 times)

ch_scr, TizianoHV, Vince and 34 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #64100 on: July 22, 2020, 05:17:10 pm »
Anyone want some tek boat anchors?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333662652808

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #64101 on: July 22, 2020, 05:37:37 pm »
Ok definitely back on the wagon. This week’s haul so far  :-DD

I don't know whether I'm more envious of the hp PSU or the Fluke. I *want* a pushbutton Fluke, and I "need" a 50+VDC capable PSU, if only for a few 100 mA.

The Fluke, because it was the revered Instrument back when I was visiting my buddies in the electronics classes back in the 80s.

The PSU, because I'm about to launch a DI box project, and I need a phantom power supply to drive it on the bench.

All in all, that haul is a good start on a early 90s electronics home lab. 

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #64102 on: July 22, 2020, 06:16:37 pm »
Finally received my Mastech MS8911 LCR tweezer.

Like mnem, I'm not disappointed. It switch automatically between serial and parallel, got 4 test frequencies (100Hz, 120Hz, 1kHz, 10kHz) and 2 voltage levels (0.1, 0.5V). It also come with a calibration certificate. Not sure of the accuracy but at least the serial number on the tweezer and the certificate is the same  :)

<SNIP>

Overall not bad for a 46$ LCR meter  :)
   Printed model number and date (dot matrix style) but stick-on serial number - I'd not trust that.

What difference does it make...? That "Serial number" is affixed to the probe cover, not the meter itself. Kindof irrelevant, really.
  :palm: What's important to me is that the meter does have the holo QC sticker, which according to the MasTech site, is their "Genuine Product" seal.

Looking at mine, the warranty (:-DD ) paper is identical... same exact laser-printing on every field, even the same date and same Inspector ID, except of course the sticker affixed to the sheet is different. :-//  This is MasTech we're talking about, not HPAK. I don't expect a very sophisticated "genuine product" chain of custody system here.

Even the genuine Ideal-Tek SmartTweezers are marketed and sold under a complex network of "Preferred Vendors" such that actual contact with the manufacturer is well-obfuscated and direct purchase isn't possible; that was part of the reason I've been leery of spending that kind of dosh on a tool where you really don't know what version you're getting or even what is the latest version. :o

This means in a nutshell that even with Ideal-Tek's SmartTweezers, your only real guarantee that they are  the genuine article and will perform as advertised is the reputation of the vendor you buy from and your own ability to test the tool you receive to your own satisfaction. For $47, I was more willing to gamble on fleaBay than spending $500+ at DigiKey.

Hmmm ... Methinks I can make a change with a file and various other impact instruments. We will report back if successful.

Please re-read TM9-243: Use and Care of Hand Tools and Measuring Tools. A file is NOT an impact instrument!

LOL you need to spend a day here.  :-DD

Comparing the two versions, I'm convinced the main issue is the way the older ones are curved and pointed. It's applying the force at a single point and if that point is not stable the part will fly off. The newer design has more surface area applying force since it's not applied in such a small point but along a slightly longer area.

So I plan on duplicating the bend to fix it, and filing the ends a bit to remove the sharp point. I will return with results only if I have success.  :clap:

P.S. I guess that's why they gave a backup set of ends - so the user can figure out how to fix the design themselves.  :-DD

Yeah, yeah.... that sounds good. Lets go widdat.  ;)

I own both tools... I can tell you definitively that there is a huge difference besides just the tips. They give you spares because they know the gold-plating will wear off, leaving you with bare corrosion-prone bronze underneath; this is the reason you get them with the ST-5S too. The tips included with the 8010 are an obvious cheap clone of the precision-machined tips that come with the ST-5S:

https://www.ideal-tek.com/scheda.php?m=search&f=7&c=Smart%20Tweezers&l=3&idp=2219

The pointy tips work best when doing diag on a PCB; the forked tips are obviously intended for handling loose components (Like the angled tips sold for the ST-5S). Since the MS8910 is pretty much worthless for in-circuit testing, the pointy tips just multiply the user's frustration.

I hope that duplicating the forked tips makes the MS8910 a useful tool for you. I honestly do. I expect that the bare bronze exposed by filing the tips will make them more assache than they're worth, tho. Not that this isn't the case already...

Myself, I intend to put the spares that came with my MS8010 with those for my MS8011 and then flip the MS8010 on Kijiji. I'm done with the MS8010. I feel no need to compound my mistake by keeping the evidence around as a reminder.   >:D

mnem
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 06:20:55 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #64103 on: July 22, 2020, 07:00:03 pm »

I assume the one of the right on the floor with the meter is a Tel-Equipment scope. Looks interesting. Any idea what the meter is for?   :-//

He missed the lone HP scope on the far right in his description. And I assume those 4 stacked units are some sort of DVM?
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #64104 on: July 22, 2020, 07:06:15 pm »
I don't know whether I'm more envious of the hp PSU or the Fluke. I *want* a pushbutton Fluke, and I "need" a 50+VDC capable PSU, if only for a few 100 mA.  The Fluke, because it was the revered Instrument back when I was visiting my buddies in the electronics classes back in the 80s.   The PSU, because I'm about to launch a DI box project, and I need a phantom power supply to drive it on the bench.  All in all, that haul is a good start on a early 90s electronics home lab.

I gotta admit... I really don't get the high reverence for that family of [FLUKE] meter; aside from lower standards of the time.  :palm:  Those switches were a major POF, and as the signal actually passes through the switches, hugely dependent upon them for quality of measurement. I much prefer ANY of the later models where the signal switching was solid-state; even the 87 family where it was only mostly so. :-//

I can't comment on the PSU as when I'm all alone and the house is still... I still weep for my long-absent Lambdas. ;)

mnem
*judder-judder*
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64105 on: July 22, 2020, 07:09:18 pm »

Only four are Tek scopes, looks like the HP is a 130C, the oscilloscope with the meter is an EMI Type W.M.8. there is a note about the use of the meter here; https://vintage-radio.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1166607&postcount=7

The stack of units on the left are Venner (or re-brands) counter/timers.
I have a 6 digit version somewhere, the Marconi one got sold a few years ago, note they have stinky line filters (not RIFA), both of them failed & took out the fuses.

David
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 09:11:11 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, mansaxel

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64106 on: July 22, 2020, 07:17:32 pm »
I don't know whether I'm more envious of the hp PSU or the Fluke. I *want* a pushbutton Fluke, and I "need" a 50+VDC capable PSU, if only for a few 100 mA.  The Fluke, because it was the revered Instrument back when I was visiting my buddies in the electronics classes back in the 80s.   The PSU, because I'm about to launch a DI box project, and I need a phantom power supply to drive it on the bench.  All in all, that haul is a good start on a early 90s electronics home lab.

I gotta admit... I really don't get the high reverence for that family of [FLUKE] meter; aside from lower standards of the time.  :palm:  Those switches were a major POF, and as the signal actually passes through the switches, hugely dependent upon them for quality of measurement. I much prefer ANY of the later models where the signal switching was solid-state; even the 87 family where it was only mostly so. :-//

I can't comment on the PSU as when I'm all alone and the house is still... I still weep for my long-absent Lambdas. ;)

mnem
*judder-judder*

The flukes were pretty well protected. Dual fused.  One HRC, MOVs and current clamps. They are pretty good even now. Never had a problem with the switches. They fuse usually went before they melted  :-DD

The turd was the 8000A which was quite frankly a death trap. Line voltage on the board with no soldermask, shite protection, really piss poor power supply, fragile electrically and the worst display mount in history.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #64107 on: July 22, 2020, 07:20:29 pm »

I'd love some vintage Tektronix equipment like that but I'm not remotely within pickup range of Dover, unfortunately.  Even more unfortunately, that sort of thing very rarely ever comes up around here, never mind for reasonable prices.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64108 on: July 22, 2020, 07:22:32 pm »

Only four are Tek scopes, looks like the HP is a 130C, the oscilloscope with the meter is an EMI Type W.M.8. there is a note about the use of the meter here; https://vintage-radio.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1166607&postcount=7

The stack of units on the left are Venner (or re-brands) counter/timers.
I have a 6 digit version somewhere, the Marconi one got sold a few years ago, note they have stinky line filters (not RIFA), both of them failed & took out the fuses.

David

Interesting kit. If the following three conditions were satisfied I might have gone for them:

1. My arm wasn’t buggered.
2. My car wouldn’t do wheelies if you put the stuff in it
3. I had somewhere to put it after I’ve got it.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #64109 on: July 22, 2020, 07:23:36 pm »

mnem
*judder-judder*

The flukes were pretty well protected. Dual fused.  One HRC, MOVs and current clamps. They are pretty good even now. Never had a problem with the switches. They fuse usually went before they melted  :-DD

The turd was the 8000A which was quite frankly a death trap. Line voltage on the board with no soldermask, shite protection, really piss poor power supply, fragile electrically and the worst display mount in history.

Agree with bd on both counts. I have an 8021B and never an issue with those range switches. But it does seem a little clunky by today's standards but back then it was tits.  :-+

Yep, the 8000A is definitely Fluke's turd but if you recall I significantly upgraded the PSU and fixed the drift issues. Once that was complete it's dead nuts.   

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #64110 on: July 22, 2020, 07:30:55 pm »
I gotta admit... I really don't get the high reverence for that family of [FLUKE] meter; aside from lower standards of the time.  :palm: 

I'm not a single bit rational with this, as if that was ever expected in this august forum! It is simply because the pushbutton Fluke was the first meter of quality I was familiar with0.

I've got lots of better meters, like the hp's (3438 and 974A, and of course a 427 (Hi, BD!)) and my ScopeMeter 123 and the ABB-branded Gossen. I don't need it, I want it!

0: 4 years later, I read about the origin of the name "Avolites" (a UK stage lighting electronics company) which comes from one of the founders called "Avo" because he always carried his Avo 8 around to measure things. There and then, the desire to own an Avometer was born. Around the same time, my repair tech colleagues requested the purchase of any oscilloscope to help with fault tracing; a request that was denied as being too expensive. That made me an oscilloscope admirer.  A friend talked about hp function generators as essential for true synth music. And now I wanted one of those. Et cetera ad infinitum.  We all have our reasons.  :-DD

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #64111 on: July 22, 2020, 07:35:46 pm »

Interesting kit. If the following three conditions were satisfied I might have gone for them:

1. Both my arms are fine.
2. Plenty of room in the Honda CR-V. Just put the back seat down.
3. I have a garage but I would have to seal them against moisture.

So what's holding me back? The CR-V doesn't float.  :P :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64112 on: July 22, 2020, 07:38:20 pm »
Yeah it’s sink like tea  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #64113 on: July 22, 2020, 07:42:31 pm »
Yeah it’s sink like tea  :-DD

Especially on the trip back.....unless I converted it to a U boat.  ;D

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #64114 on: July 22, 2020, 07:44:02 pm »

Same problem.  My SUV isn't amphibious either.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #64115 on: July 22, 2020, 07:50:05 pm »
Update, if I leave now I'll be there in about 5 days....maybe.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, mnementh, bd139, TorinoFermic

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64116 on: July 22, 2020, 07:53:49 pm »

Aww, c'mon Med! You're a dab hand with a rattle can, you shouldn't find a few cans of expanding closed cell foam intimidating. That stuff will make anything float (if you use enough).
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #64117 on: July 22, 2020, 07:57:07 pm »

But it will drive quite nicely to some east US coast harbour, onto a ship (there are ro/ro ships going US-Europe) and off in Rotterdam, where there's just a short drive (~350 km) to Calais, and then the ferry to Dover. If you get to the right port, it's comparable with your Gettysburg trip.

This has been done! A dutch truck driver (owner/operator) Jan Jaap Verweij, decided that only Swedish trucks are good enough for his roadtrip around North America, so he rebuilt a trailer into a caravan, and shipped it and his Scania V8 to Canada, brought the family with him by plane, and then drove around USA and Canada, in style.

Edit: Pic: http://www.toprun.ch/truck/2013-08/rodeo_du_camion_quebec/content/images/large/DSC_0184.jpg
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 08:05:42 pm by mansaxel »

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64118 on: July 22, 2020, 07:57:35 pm »
Bought Another CRTU-RU (CMU-200 alike)
(Attachment Link)

10MHz - 2.7GHZ spectrum analyser, full function not crippled like HP test sets, and 100kHz to 2.7GHz signal generator

The analyser stack is getting a bit tall though

Does it pass loop tests?

Yes, all working fine. Did put a new keyboard membrane in it as it was a bit flakey. Its a .83 so has the I/Q module rather than the GSM modules. Lighter and runs cooler. Would need a CRTU-PU to do GSM but I'm not bothered about that. Works as Scalar network analyser too with a PC and R&S Fres software.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #64119 on: July 22, 2020, 08:03:08 pm »

But it will drive quite nicely to some east US coast harbour, onto a ship (there are ro/ro ships going US-Europe) and off in Rotterdam, where there's just a short drive (~350 km) to Calais, and then the ferry to Dover. If you get to the right port, it's comparable with your Gettysburg trip.

This has been done! A dutch truck driver (owner/operator) Jan Jaap Verweij, decided that only Swedish trucks are good enough for his roadtrip around North America, so he rebuilt a trailer into a caravan, and shipped it and his Scania V8 to Canada, brought the family with him by plane, and then drove around USA and Canada, in style.

Why did he go to all that trouble? There are plenty of Volvo trucks here.

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64120 on: July 22, 2020, 08:25:55 pm »
Had a few deliveries while I've been at work, from four different couriers apparently;

RCA transistor databook from 1967.
A couple of modules for my HP 183B oscilloscope, these came from Germany as I couldn't find anything at a reasonable price in the UK, unless it looked to have been thrown off Blackpool central pier & fished out a week later; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164254981606
A not very common HP 3735A counter (UK made), also from Germany and in very nice condition.
Final item was some parts from Farnell, not TEA related.

David
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 09:12:21 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, med6753, mnementh, bd139, Kosmic

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64121 on: July 22, 2020, 08:26:19 pm »
<SNIP>
[/quote]

mnem
*judder-judder*
[/quote]

The Fluke 8060A is my favorite meter of all time. Rugged, bomb proof, 4.5 digits, True RMS AC to 100kHz, dB scaling, no waiting for autorange to kick in. I have two 8060A's a 8061A and a couple of 802x including the 8022A I bought new in the early 80's.
They just work. I've hads lots over the years, will aways buy a 8060A if the price is right. Never seen one with a faulty switch. Early ones suffered from bleeding display (my 8022 has had a new LCD). Only common fault is the zebra strip for the LCD needing cleaning and re-seating. I've changed a main chip in a 802x and a std CMOS XOR in another but thats it. Calibration is rock steady on the 8060A, much better than my 98IV. The high frequency AC is important for me, not only for audio but 400Hz aircraft kit. It's surprising how many modern meters are only good to about 100Hz. Once rejected a suppliers certification test report for a bit of aircraft kit because they had used a meter (Fluke 78 IIRC) that didn't meet the accuracy spec of the unit at the 400Hz output. Caused a bit of a stir at the supplier because they used them for all their testing and never realised...

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139, Ero-Shan

Offline Saskia

• Super Contributor
  • you unlock this door with the key of imagination
« Reply #64122 on: July 22, 2020, 08:28:38 pm »
The Fluke will be with you - always ...

sorry, could not resist ...

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
« Reply #64123 on: July 22, 2020, 08:32:14 pm »

Why did he go to all that trouble? There are plenty of Volvo trucks here.

Yabbut, that's a Volvo. Not a Scania. There's a difference! Wife used to work for Scania, herding AIX machines. It is very important which truck you choose. And people are very brand loyal.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #64124 on: July 22, 2020, 08:37:48 pm »
The Fluke 8060A is my favorite meter of all time. Rugged, bomb proof, 4.5 digits, True RMS AC to 100kHz, dB scaling, no waiting for autorange to kick in. I have two 8060A's a 8061A and a couple of 802x including the 8022A I bought new in the early 80's.
They just work. I've hads lots over the years, will aways buy a 8060A if the price is right. Never seen one with a faulty switch. Early ones suffered from bleeding display (my 8022 has had a new LCD). Only common fault is the zebra strip for the LCD needing cleaning and re-seating. I've changed a main chip in a 802x and a std CMOS XOR in another but thats it. Calibration is rock steady on the 8060A, much better than my 98IV. The high frequency AC is important for me, not only for audio but 400Hz aircraft kit. It's surprising how many modern meters are only good to about 100Hz. Once rejected a suppliers certification test report for a bit of aircraft kit because they had used a meter (Fluke 78 IIRC) that didn't meet the accuracy spec of the unit at the 400Hz output. Caused a bit of a stir at the supplier because they used them for all their testing and never realised...
Are you aware of the threads on them here ?
Particularly this one from Dave R Taylor the designer ?
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/old-fluke-multimeters/
Check out his other topics too.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf