Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14554980 times)

Aiy and 21 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online factory

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #64125 on: July 22, 2020, 08:52:59 pm »
Has anyone found a solution to the forum picture glitch that's been happening a lot lately, my second post on the previous page changed the picture in the first, I re-upload them an the problem switches between posts, I've now given up & deleted the large picture from the second post but clicking on that picture still gives the Venner counters from the previous post.  :-//

David
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 08:55:33 pm by factory »

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64126 on: July 22, 2020, 09:00:09 pm »
Yeah it’s fucked. Use imgur.com and link it.

The following users thanked this post: factory

Online factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64127 on: July 22, 2020, 09:14:23 pm »
I may have to try that, I've temperately sorted it by adding all the pictures to the first post and adding the link to the second.

David

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #64128 on: July 22, 2020, 09:18:13 pm »

Why did he go to all that trouble? There are plenty of Volvo trucks here.

Yabbut, that's a Volvo. Not a Scania. There's a difference! Wife used to work for Scania, herding AIX machines. It is very important which truck you choose. And people are very brand loyal.

Yea, just like the Ford Vs Chevy loyalists here.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #64129 on: July 22, 2020, 09:18:45 pm »
Here is another update about this NGB 32 / 10 from Rohde & Schwarz.

Today I wanted to adjust and calibrate it but then I discovered a strange thing:
while trying to set the voltage output at zero to 0V I've found, that I have an output
of -0.6V and it doesn't change while tweaking the related trimpots.
What?  :o
Checked again the schematics and found another dead transistor (T16, BC107B).
Replaced it and his colleague (T7, BC177B) and then I was able to set the
output voltage for the zero point to 0V.
Then I adjusted the maximum output voltage to 35V.

Next part was adjusting Imin and Imax for the CC mode.
That was easy. Set Imin to 1mA (manual recommends something below 20mA) and Imax to 10A.

The last part was adjusting the switching points for the relays between the transformer and the
rectifier. They switch between different tappings of the transformer to reduce the dissipation power
of the output power transistors.
Switching points are set at 16V and 27V.

Done.

Now I need to test this thing.
Hmmmm....
I have this nice russian vacuum tube, the GU-81M. This tube needs for the heating 10A at 12.6V. Perfect!

And here we go:

Overview

The frontside of the NGB 32 / 10

And a nice glowing tube  :)

Thank you for watching.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 10:00:40 pm by BU508A »
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, capt bullshot, bd139, ch_scr, Kosmic, syau, tonyalbus

Online BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #64130 on: July 22, 2020, 09:31:44 pm »

+1 for imgur.com from my side. Using it for my pictures as well and it works really nicely and convenient.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64131 on: July 22, 2020, 10:00:39 pm »
Anyone want some tek boat anchors?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333662652808

Only four are Tek scopes, looks like the HP is a 130C, the oscilloscope with the meter is an EMI Type W.M.8. there is a note about the use of the meter here; https://vintage-radio.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1166607&postcount=7

The stack of units on the left are Venner (or re-brands) counter/timers.
I have a 6 digit version somewhere, the Marconi one got sold a few years ago, note they have stinky line filters (not RIFA), both of them failed & took out the fuses.

David

Interesting kit. If the following three conditions were satisfied I might have gone for them:

1. My arm wasn’t buggered.
2. My car wouldn’t do wheelies if you put the stuff in it
3. I had somewhere to put it after I’ve got it.
Yep, the 1st was an accident, not much can be done about, the 2nd is just what you get with a shitty euro hatchback and the third, what about your cupboard of doom, that must be just about empty by now with the flipping you been doing on the bay of evil  :clap:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64132 on: July 22, 2020, 10:05:28 pm »
Cupboard of doom doesn’t look any different. Still can’t work out how that works out  :-//

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64133 on: July 22, 2020, 10:15:20 pm »
Oh, I thought my PC was fucking about, it did it with your photo of you in your face mask. Click it and it opens up the 8080A photo  :palm:
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64134 on: July 22, 2020, 10:17:14 pm »
Yeah sodding shitty PHP bollocks forum software is drunk.

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64135 on: July 22, 2020, 11:02:21 pm »
hey med

could use some advice.

as you know, my fortress of solitude is a tek free zone.

but i do try to embrace diversity.  this poor thing is 25 minutes down the road.

wadda' ya' think?

https://chambersburg.craigslist.org/ele/d/rouzerville-tektronix-453-healthkit/7162528022.html
free range primate

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #64136 on: July 22, 2020, 11:15:41 pm »
hey med

could use some advice.

as you know, my fortress of solitude is a tek free zone.

but i do try to embrace diversity.  this poor thing is 25 minutes down the road.

wadda' ya' think?

https://chambersburg.craigslist.org/ele/d/rouzerville-tektronix-453-healthkit/7162528022.html

453's are good scopes. All discrete, no hybrids, easy to fix. 50MHz bandwidth. Early S/N's had nuvistor tubes in the vertical pre-amp. Later S/N's were FET's. I don't own one but I've used them many times.  Bd has owned several. I think he did have one that he couldn't repair and junked. So I'll let him chime in.

Hey, if I can cross the divide an embrace HP then you can embrace Tek.  :P :P :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #64137 on: July 22, 2020, 11:29:23 pm »
The Tex 4xx scopes have always been classics in my mind - and having one was a desire from so far back I don't want to say.

While HP was always my favourite brand, due to Bean the enabler, I have recently acquired two 453's.  (I'm blaming Bean because he started it - and he's not here to defend himself  ;D )

This outcome is a result of my long lived desire - plus the history of the 453's genesis ticked a box related to my IT background of that era.

In true TEA spirit, I will say this:  Support diversity - do it!

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, TorinoFermic

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64138 on: July 22, 2020, 11:37:47 pm »
453 is nice. I’ve owned two. First one the cat pissed in and blew it up. I didn’t know enough to deal with it then so I gave it to someone (years ago).  Second one was unfortunately scrapped as the previous owner was a bodger and had fubar’ed it totally. I will get a good one at some point.

The “brother” 454 is a good one to look out for. 150Mhz fully discrete.

-A suffixed ones are much better with decent sized CRT

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #64139 on: July 22, 2020, 11:39:39 pm »
Here's the re-work of the MS8910's tips. I re-formed the tips to be like the MS8911, and put a flat face on the ends. Now, they grip very reliably and the parts do not flip out anywhere near as easily as they did before.

:-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, Kosmic

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64140 on: July 23, 2020, 12:04:23 am »
Has anyone found a solution to the forum picture glitch that's been happening a lot lately, my second post on the previous page changed the picture in the first, I re-upload them an the problem switches between posts, I've now given up & deleted the large picture from the second post but clicking on that picture still gives the Venner counters from the previous post.  :-//

David

I think there's a problem only with the first attachment slot. If you skip the first one and use the other one it appear to be working fine.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, TERRA Operative

Offline nixiefreqq

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64141 on: July 23, 2020, 12:09:15 am »
thanks for the 453 advice guys.

have some stuff on the schedule tomorrow.

but if it is still listed on friday i might pull the trigger.

free range primate

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #64142 on: July 23, 2020, 02:32:26 am »
While you're at it nixie you need to also add some RPN to your fortress of solitude.  >:D Got my second HP-15C today. It's in _much_ nicer shape than my old one.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, BU508A, capt bullshot, bd139, nixiefreqq

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #64143 on: July 23, 2020, 03:05:49 am »
Ok definitely back on the wagon. This week’s haul so far  :-DD   
I don't know whether I'm more envious of the hp PSU or the Fluke. I *want* a pushbutton Fluke, and I "need" a 50+VDC capable PSU, if only for a few 100 mA.  The Fluke, because it was the revered Instrument back when I was visiting my buddies in the electronics classes back in the 80s.   The PSU, because I'm about to launch a DI box project, and I need a phantom power supply to drive it on the bench.  All in all, that haul is a good start on a early 90s electronics home lab.

I gotta admit... I really don't get the high reverence for that family of [FLUKE] meter; aside from lower standards of the time.  :palm:  Those switches were a major POF, and as the signal actually passes through the switches, hugely dependent upon them for quality of measurement. I much prefer ANY of the later models where the signal switching was solid-state; even the 87 family where it was only mostly so. :-//

I can't comment on the PSU as when I'm all alone and the house is still... I still weep for my long-absent Lambdas. ;)

mnem
*judder-judder*

The flukes were pretty well protected. Dual fused.  One HRC, MOVs and current clamps. They are pretty good even now. Never had a problem with the switches. They fuse usually went before they melted  :-DD

The turd was the 8000A which was quite frankly a death trap. Line voltage on the board with no soldermask, shite protection, really piss poor power supply, fragile electrically and the worst display mount in history.

Agree with bd on both counts. I have an 8021B and never an issue with those range switches. But it does seem a little clunky by today's standards but back then it was tits.  :-+

Yep, the 8000A is definitely Fluke's turd but if you recall I significantly upgraded the PSU and fixed the drift issues. Once that was complete it's dead nuts.   

I guess if you've got stock in the DeOxit company, sure. Otherwise... Meh.  :-//

mnem
*Huggles my 189 close* :-DMM
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64144 on: July 23, 2020, 03:14:57 am »

David

I think there's a problem only with the first attachment slot. If you skip the first one and use the other one it appear to be working fine.

I'll try that. Seeing as I'm a pretty heavy attachment abuser, it should show up quickly if not so. :-+

mnem
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 03:24:29 am by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64145 on: July 23, 2020, 03:36:00 am »
....and I totally just fell off the wagon and bought a complete HP-65 (case, manuals, papers, standard programs pac, everything) on fleabay...in my defense the seller was ultra responsive to my questions and I had some paypal cash balance from an earlier transaction.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: bd139, tonyalbus

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #64146 on: July 23, 2020, 03:53:18 am »
I remember when the HP-65 first came out ... and someone at Uni actually HAD one!

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64147 on: July 23, 2020, 04:19:26 am »
Bet it was pretty spendy for students too...

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #64148 on: July 23, 2020, 04:55:17 am »
Yeah sodding shitty PHP bollocks forum software is drunk.

There's only one comment I can make: Go read the true dissection of PHP. It's 8 years old, and still the best description of PHP I've come across.

I've seen a number of PHP forum shites, (that should be read as "suites", of course, but my finger macros reveal what i feel) and they all suck.  I've also started to link to images but I've had problems with the
Code: [Select]
[IMG] tag such as it is not displaying at all. Just a bit of blank screen, not large enough for the image, so am resorting to clickable links in the post for now.  Fucking crap.

The other morning, while driving the wife to work, we discussed our common problems (she also herds computers) and I sort of tried to define the core task for us computer herders: our first and foremost job is to maintain the predictability in the computer. Using PHP for anything is a very bad way to go about one's business. But, people like pain. And their work, so much that they want to do more of it. That must be it.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64149 on: July 23, 2020, 04:59:59 am »
https://www.schlockmercenary.com/2020-07-23

And with this page, Schlock Mercenary draws to a close. Howard Tayler has produced this iconic webcomic since my wife and I were courting; updating every day without fail for just a hair over twenty years.

Good Luck Howard!

mnem
I wonder if carbosilicate amorphs eat dwagons...?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf