Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14810531 times)

K0ELB and 192 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #64250 on: July 24, 2020, 02:00:17 pm »
Today gossip 2

SHA256: B570DDFDC4672F4629A95316563DF923BD834AEC657DE5D4CA7C7EF9B58DF2B1

Windows 10 LTSC  :popcorn:
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64251 on: July 24, 2020, 02:48:21 pm »

You can also get some cheap yet very good MIG welders these days, which are easier to use on sheet metal (cars etc.)

Realistically $600 by the time you've got the gas bottle and other supplies, including various protective gear sorted.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64252 on: July 24, 2020, 02:50:39 pm »
Today gossip 2

Good luck  :-DD. Still a turd. Just slightly further up the bowel  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: wolfy007, TorinoFermic

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #64253 on: July 24, 2020, 03:08:02 pm »
Received a bit of low-cost network gear:

Left switch is standard with 9V wall-wart, the right hand one is a PoE enabled one with a 48V power brick. Rightmost is a PoE splitter.

All of them use the very same size barrel connector, for 9V input, 48V input and 5-9-12V selectable output. WTF?
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64254 on: July 24, 2020, 03:21:51 pm »
That’s a pretty big  :palm:. To be fair I wish they’d get rid of DC barrel jacks entirely. Horrid things.

Cisco have best answer. IEC on the switch and proprietary molex thing for PoE.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #64255 on: July 24, 2020, 03:28:40 pm »

You can also get some cheap yet very good MIG welders these days, which are easier to use on sheet metal (cars etc.)

Realistically $600 by the time you've got the gas bottle and other supplies, including various protective gear sorted.

Been dere, dunnat, got the shirt full of pinhole burns already.  More like $300 when I did it ~15 years ago at Horror Fraught. ;)

I'm looking at this one as both a quick & dirty stick welder to get by with until my HFT MIG is back where it belongs, and as a future TIG power source for when I need to do fine work on SS/AL.

mnem
*tzzzzzzlllllzzzzzzllllzzzzzt* :-/O
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #64256 on: July 24, 2020, 03:29:08 pm »
next thursday iám driving 500KM to :
1. sell car allumium winterwheels, to have money for TE
2. pickup lots of TE   ,spent immidiate ;-)
3. pickup a cheap cable lenght analizer or something.. guys sells it as a scope... for 25,- .. so lets see ;-)

excited allready :scared:

It is Aluminium.   :)
No idea, what allumium could be.  ;)

its very light weight ;-) very special.. only Kia .. :-DD

Made from onions...
They actually feel to be almost as thick as a coke can. A friend of mine once had an early Kia Sportage and the panels on it could be easily dented just by leaning on the wheel arches etc, very flimsy indeed, doors felt very light by comparison to mine, which close with a reassuring clunk.

I had a 1st generation Kia Sportage. A 1998. Yes, kinda cheaply built and a maintenance nightmare. But with the 4WD would go anywhere.
Sort of like a Korean version of a Land Rover.  :P :-DD

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #64257 on: July 24, 2020, 03:31:50 pm »
A friend of mine once had an early Kia Sportage and the panels on it could be easily dented just by leaning on the wheel arches etc, very flimsy indeed, doors felt very light by comparison to mine, which close with a reassuring clunk.

With my second car I used to climb over the bonnet so I could sit/stand on the roof. I got a much better view from up there.
What car was it then?

I should have noted that the body panels were aluminium, about 3mm thick. This one, like mine, also had a Perkins 4.1 diesel engine; it would pull the skin off custard, as well as a speedboat up a launch ramp without a driver in the cab :) That was a benefit of having 16 forward gears (and 4 reverse gears) in 3 boxes :) Steered like a Lazlar Lyricon spaceship, which worried oncoming cars on single track roads.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 03:35:19 pm by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: drussell, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64258 on: July 24, 2020, 03:40:06 pm »
Today gossip 2

Good luck  :-DD. Still a turd. Just slightly further up the bowel  :-DD

Completely worthless on my gaming rig. That box needs the constant revolving testicle-hammering of Wupdate or half my games stop working a week after they're released.

Fuckkin' thing is a gawddam crack-baby.  :-DD

mnem
POIT!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 03:44:05 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64259 on: July 24, 2020, 03:49:29 pm »
Anybody in need of a noise source from HP? 10MHz - 18GHz. NAWTS

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133473253993

An old model long out of calibration. Seems to have been pushed around a bit much and has a lot of scars and dents.
Is the connector still OK ?

Coo, sounds just like me.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64260 on: July 24, 2020, 03:54:37 pm »

Fukkin' eBay... when I put this in my cart, it showed delivery before the end of the month; STILL pretty crappy for ANY form of Priority Shipping considering 500 miles, even WITH customs. Now it's showing "August 11th-Sept 14th"  :wtf:

mnem
 |O

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64261 on: July 24, 2020, 03:58:56 pm »
Same thing with Amazon for me earlier today. Prime benefits my ass.

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #64262 on: July 24, 2020, 04:01:43 pm »
Fukkin' eBay... when I put this in my cart, it showed delivery before the end of the month; STILL pretty crappy for ANY form of Priority Shipping considering 500 miles, even WITH customs. Now it's showing "August 11th-Sept 14th"  :wtf:

Wow, insane!...    :o

That's absolutely brutal!...    :wtf:

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #64263 on: July 24, 2020, 04:03:11 pm »
All of them use the very same size barrel connector, for 9V input, 48V input and 5-9-12V selectable output. WTF?

I guess TP expects you to know what you're doing?  LOL...   :D

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #64264 on: July 24, 2020, 04:06:33 pm »
Been dere, dunnat, got the shirt full of pinhole burns already.

I'm pretty sure half of my "bald spot" is from welding slag from my MIG landing on my head and permanently searing hair off...  :)

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!   :-DD

Edit:  The other half is from bashing my head into stuff...

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64265 on: July 24, 2020, 04:09:25 pm »
I'm looking at this one as both a quick & dirty stick welder to get by with until my HFT MIG is back where it belongs, and as a future TIG power source for when I need to do fine work on SS/AL.

mnem

The novelty condom MMA welder in that video is DC only. Ya won't be welding Al with it.

Unless you're The Flash and can swap the Dinse connectors over fast enough.  :)

I've actually been musing over the purchase of a TIG setup recently, I have some possible uses for proper hot melt glue. Looking at what's around, the minimum "expensive enough that you won't regret buying it"/"expensive enough that you only buy it once" price point for a fully rig with a decent torch, gas, and starter set of consumables looks to be around the £1200 GBP point.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #64266 on: July 24, 2020, 04:11:59 pm »

mnem
 |O

For some reason AllTest always indicates extended shipping dates, even for me. But they always beat the date by a significant amount.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64267 on: July 24, 2020, 04:20:50 pm »

mnem

The novelty condom MMA welder in that video is DC only. Ya won't be welding Al with it.

I've actually been musing over the purchase of a TIG setup recently, I have some possible uses for proper hot melt glue. Looking at what's around, the minimum "expensive enough that you won't regret buying it"/"expensive enough that you only buy it once" price point for a fully rig with a decent torch, gas, and starter set of consumables looks to be around the £1200 GBP point.

Actually, it's PWM-switched DC with zero post-pass-element filtering at somewhere between 15-30KHz in most of these; I've used a similarly tiny ESAB (well, about the size of case of Bud) TIG power brick before, which was similarly PWM-regulated. Pretty sure very little reason you can't TIG anything you like with it provided you use the correct envelope gas.

Been dere, dunnat, got the shirt full of pinhole burns already.

I'm pretty sure half of my "bald spot" is from welding slag from my MIG landing on my head and permanently searing hair off...  :)

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!   :-DD

Edit:  The other half is from bashing my head into stuff...

Yeah yeah!!! Me too!!!  :-DD

Received a bit of low-cost network gear:   ...All of them use the very same size barrel connector, for 9V input, 48V input and 5-9-12V selectable output. WTF?

I guess TP expects you to know what you're doing?  LOL...   :D
Naaahhh... their business model is "cheapest possible shit for your SOHO". They will use the cheapest form of power they can get, period. If you mix up your 5.5x2.1mm coax-connector power bricks and crispy-fy something, not their problem... "KA-CHINNNG! Turnover."

mnem
 :bullshit:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64268 on: July 24, 2020, 04:26:08 pm »

mnem
 |O

For some reason AllTest always indicates extended shipping dates, even for me. But they always beat the date by a significant amount.

Yeah... not sure if this is AllTest's estimate or fleaBay McNugger-juggling the numbers. Either way it pretty much sux if it doesn't arrive by the time I'm outta here.  :-\

mnem
NARRFF!

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64269 on: July 24, 2020, 04:32:46 pm »

mnem

Actually, it's PWM-switched DC with zero post-pass-element filtering at somewhere between 15-30KHz in most of these; I've used a similarly tiny ESAB (well, about the size of case of Bud) TIG power brick before, which was similarly PWM-regulated. Pretty sure very little reason you can't TIG anything you like with it provided you use the correct envelope gas.

Aluminium needs a positive electrode (DCEP) for ~30% of the time (to break down the oxide film) and DCEN for the rest of the time (to stop melting your tungsten) at something around 120Hz (10-200Hz). The current has to physically reverse, not merely be 'AC' in the sense of being DC that's switched on and off. It's a plasma, the physical electron/ion flow matters.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64270 on: July 24, 2020, 05:05:39 pm »
I think you have older tech in mind; pretty sure the newer stuff runs higher frequency because square wave.  ??? There's a difference between "best" and "can't". Worst case I can only TIG sheet/tube aluminum; I've done that with DC. :-//

mnem
 :popcorn:

« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 05:08:30 pm by mnementh »

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #64271 on: July 24, 2020, 05:14:46 pm »

(Attachment Link)

Left switch is standard with 9V wall-wart, the right hand one is a PoE enabled one with a 48V power brick. Rightmost is a PoE splitter.

bd139 is right on the money; IEC inlet is the way to go. But, then you need to do a more thorough validation of safety, because of the internal PSU, and the bottom feeder SoHo gear has no margin for such.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #64272 on: July 24, 2020, 05:16:02 pm »
The Type 561B project is finally a wrap. The final outstanding issue fixed. The Type 3B3 Time Base plug-in had a bad ceramic capacitor which killed the sweep. All fixed. So it's now a complete and functional unit. I still have a Type 3A6 Vertical plug-in to fix and a Type 3A74 Vertical plug-in from the 561B parts unit that needs check out but those will go to the back of the repair cue for now. I wanted to concentrate on having the mainframe, vertical, and time base fully functional and that's been accomplished.  :-+

Note: That trace is actually pin point sharp. Damn camera phone.  :-//

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver, BU508A, Specmaster, Kosmic

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64273 on: July 24, 2020, 05:20:01 pm »

...And I can get it for approx USD$57 delivered RIGHT NOW.

I've seen articles saying it's been available for as little as $38; what I've been able to find indicates those are all bait/switch ads with the leads offered separately at that price, while the welder itself is $70-90 depending on amperage/whether it has LED display. Personally, I like that it is offered separately from the leads; they are heavy and cost a lot in shipping, and are often something you already have or can source/make cheaper locally.

If I weren't moving, I'd probably have one on the way right now.

mnem
*tzzzt!* indeed.

Now it's USD$54 from China (Sold out til Aug 8th)  or USD$66 from US (In Stock). Daang...

If I hadn't just spent $600 on new glasses...  :palm:

mnem
 :scared:

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64274 on: July 24, 2020, 05:29:21 pm »
Bloody Murphy gets yah everytime when your not paying enough attention  :rant: >:D There I was modifying the input jacks on my Solarton 7150 Plus to be of the shrouded type (something I previously thought was not possible until TorinoFermic posted a link in last weeks Discord session). Done all the replacement of the jacks, just in the process of refitting the changeover switch for the jacks from front to rear sockets when the switch fell apart. Now I need a replacement 8 pole pushbutton latching changeover switch and the biggest one I can find is a 6 pole :palm:

Does anyone know where I might be able to locate on from?

I've tried all of the more obvious ones like RS, Mouser, Rapid, CPC, Digikey and Bitsbox etc, even eBay and 6 pole is the highest  :o

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf