Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14833756 times)

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #64975 on: July 30, 2020, 07:51:21 pm »
Page 2600 already? Sheesh! 2500 wasn't that long ago.

Does that mean that we have to discuss old style 'colour box' 'phone system hacking?
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #64976 on: July 30, 2020, 07:52:17 pm »
This would be the place for it, me thinks. Only a few post slots remaining. ;D
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #64977 on: July 30, 2020, 07:53:24 pm »
Like if most days as a hobbyist, using under 30V, and I only really care about mV or 100's of nV accuracy when they are 1st turned on......they can all do that cold, right ?

But I see tho, I have DMMs that can do 4-5d pretty good, but none are a modern bench DMM. IDK, maybe I really should just get an older 6.5d meter, and get a new 5.5d meter.

Browse this thread and you'll see that high-res DMMs aren't generally a daily driver. However, regarding the requirement for warm up, it really depends on your needs and your definition of "good enough." For example, if absolute accuracy isn't critical (which it usually isn't for hobby use), then a cold DMM will give you a reasonable result to 3 or 4 digits. You don't even need to switch it into a lower-resolution mode. That way, you can see the rate at which the value changes as the meter warms up and to what resolution you feel comfortable with the measurement. Using a higher NPLC setting can also be helpful, if the additional sampling time isn't a hindrance to your tasks.

If the absolute value is important to you, then I'd recommend running some tests at different warmup times from cold compared to when the meter is fully warmed up to determine how long you need to wait for your particular device to achieve your desired accuracy.

Note that even handheld DMMs, which are generally used right away from turn on, have a warmup time for full accuracy and when calibrating/adjusting.

Exactly the reason to have a 6.5 digit DMM (as daily driver). Turn on, have accurate 4.5 Digit meter.
OTOH when watching slow DC drift of DUT, it makes you always want "one digit more"...

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64978 on: July 30, 2020, 07:57:57 pm »
I just popped back to post how much I'm liking my graphics tablet, and see teenage boys have taken over the thread...

Well, when you're a teenager you have to ogle, because you're too young to do anything more; and then you reach the age of certain gentlemen around here who have to ogle because they're too old to do anything without serious medical consequences.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #64979 on: July 30, 2020, 08:04:02 pm »
eBay GSP so they can repack it and fuck it up.

My 8060 just hit Erlanger. Yeah.

Bought a rather large stash of gear from Thomann, which ended up being one DHL shipment (which becomes PostMord in Sweden) and one UPS, all for 0€ in shipping. The DHL one came into the country and was originally planned for delivery today. That changed to the equivalent of "No idea" at 17:00 this afternoon. The UPS one is, tracking-wise, stuck in leaving Frankfurt.  |O

Edit: The UPS shipment is in Denmark, as per last reload button push. It might just make it until tomorrow. Glostrup-Stockholm is one night's drive if they actually get things out the door.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 08:09:56 pm by mansaxel »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64980 on: July 30, 2020, 08:10:17 pm »
Anyone interested in a nice condition Yokogawa-HP 4265A universal bridge? eBay auction: #324239286161  >:D

David

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #64981 on: July 30, 2020, 08:11:01 pm »
   STILL has not shipped yet. Think maybe he's making me suck spite for faffing about asking for a repeat customer discount.  :-\

IIRC, AllTest doesn't necessarily know the full condition of listed items. They may invest that effort when a listing sells and then deal with any issues prior to shipping (or cancel the order if no suitable alternative is available). I've seen reports of it occurring in the past, but I don't know if that's the case recently.

Disclaimer: This is from memory, so the usual wetware caveats apply. I may have totally confused them with a similar vendor.
I remember from my last go-round with them that they are a bit slow to ship; I don't mind because of the way they pack.  :-+ I'm just venting a little nerdly impatience. ;)

IME they list as "untested" and that's what they are; NOT "Tested, found it full of fire, put it on fleaBay instead of in the dumpster where it belongs".

THAT is why I keep going back to them; I pay a fair price for a pig in a poke. :-// It may be a old pig, it may have a broken leg, but I can see the bag wiggling and hear it squeal like a pig, so pretty confident I AM getting a pig and not something... else. ;)

mnem
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 08:21:59 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: drussell

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64982 on: July 30, 2020, 08:14:00 pm »

Does that mean that we have to discuss old style 'colour box' 'phone system hacking?

mnem
Cap'n Crunk, yo.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139, duckduck

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #64983 on: July 30, 2020, 08:16:56 pm »

STILL has not shipped yet. Think maybe he's making me suck spite for faffing about asking for a repeat customer discount.  :-\

IIRC, AllTest doesn't necessarily know the full condition of listed items. They may invest that effort when a listing sells and then deal with any issues prior to shipping (or cancel the order if no suitable alternative is available). I've seen reports of it occurring in the past, but I don't know if that's the case recently.

Disclaimer: This is from memory, so the usual wetware caveats apply. I may have totally confused them with a similar vendor.
I remember from my last go-round with them that they are a bit slow to ship; I don't mind because of the way they pack.  :-+ I'm just venting a little nerdly impatience. ;)

IME they list as "untested" and that's what they are; NOT "Tested, found it full of fire, put it on fleaBay instead of in the dumpster where it belongs".

THAT is why I keep going back to them; I pay a fair price for a pig in a poke. :-// It may be a old pig, it may have a broken leg, but I can see the bag  wiggling and hear it squeal like a pig, so pretty confident I AM getting a pig and not something... else. ;)

Yep, I do recall how well they pack, which we all appreciate. Hopefully, it ships soon.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #64984 on: July 30, 2020, 08:33:45 pm »
Goodie box from Sphere came today...pics later. I got a really pristine Tek 191, the transistors I need to repair my second HP 3444A plugin, and the usual Sphere bag of extra goodies. :D

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, bd139, factory, syau

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64985 on: July 30, 2020, 08:37:36 pm »
@mementh, agree with you 100%, I have always found them to be pretty good and their packing is the best.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64986 on: July 30, 2020, 08:40:06 pm »
Placed more stupid offers. Wonder where that will get me  :scared:

1 out of 4 was accepted so far which is a pretty good accept rate.

Edit: three week test gear list so far: Fluke 8060a, HP 3478a, Hp 6206b, TTi PL320, TTi TG320, Fluke 8050a, Tek TDS210, 4 offers outstanding  :-DD :scared:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 08:43:26 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64987 on: July 30, 2020, 08:48:08 pm »
Always worth a punt, just as there are stupid sellers who over value things, there will those that see those valuations and set their starting price high but after a while might accept a offer, even a low one if buyers have been scared off because of the high initial valuation.  :-+
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64988 on: July 30, 2020, 08:50:49 pm »
Yep exactly that. I’m also hoping some people are relatively desperate for cash flow which I can offer  >:D

Edit: declined  :(. 3 outstanding  :-DD
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 09:06:09 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64989 on: July 30, 2020, 09:08:09 pm »
Anyone interested in a nice condition Yokogawa-HP 4265A universal bridge? eBay auction: #324239286161  >:D

David

Looks great, and cheap too. Sadly that's way too space consuming for me.

Still, it needs a good home - go on someone, you know you want it. (That "someone", doesn't include you Tony; you've had more than your fair share this month.  :) )

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64990 on: July 30, 2020, 10:11:03 pm »
Goodie box from Sphere came today...pics later. I got a really pristine Tek 191, the transistors I need to repair my second HP 3444A plugin, and the usual Sphere bag of extra goodies. :D

And here it is. The 191 works great. Recently calibrated, and looks exceptionally clean outside and in.

The following users thanked this post: edavid, BU508A, med6753, mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, Kosmic, duckduck, tonyalbus

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #64991 on: July 30, 2020, 11:10:33 pm »
And I thought my Type 191 was clean (which it is) but you got me beat. Good score.  :-+

Edit, still waiting on the NTE160 transistor for the Type 3A74. Should be here Saturday.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 11:12:14 pm by med6753 »
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64992 on: July 30, 2020, 11:27:26 pm »
Digging out an old project again. I’m sorting out the scope screensaver again ie the bouncing ball:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg1931791/#msg1931791

Have redesigned it with better play field constraints, much less crap triangle generators, it now works off a couple of 9v batteries rather than 15v supplies  and has a quadrature oscillator that doesn’t require as much feedback futzing. I will build a prototype at the weekend. If it works I will do a PCB for this one.

I’m designing out some of the complexity at the same time so it will need only a few resistor values, lm358 opamps and some film caps, a couple of signal diodes and nothing else. Cheap and easy.  Should be able to throw it together for less than $15 including PCB
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 11:32:04 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, AVGresponding

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64993 on: July 30, 2020, 11:35:26 pm »
And I thought my Type 191 was clean (which it is) but you got me beat. Good score.  :-+

Edit, still waiting on the NTE160 transistor for the Type 3A74. Should be here Saturday.

Sight unseen for $69. Also came with the GR adapters and the print manual.

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #64994 on: July 30, 2020, 11:46:35 pm »
Is that where the death rays come out...?

mnem
 >:D

Yep, and pointed towards Toronto.  :P :-DD

1037572-0

See it in the distance?  Up there. Across the water.

There’s Tronna.  It used to be the city that works.  Now it’s a total dump.  I can’t wait to see the death rays arcing across over Lake Ontario, chasing the douchebag condo occupants down the streets, yappy dogs in tow, fancy coffees being vapourized, the works.  One of them is bound to ask if the death rays are 100% ethically sourced, renewable, artisan-made craft vegan death rays, right?

Can you tell I’m not really that big a fan of Tronna?

Needless to say, pretty well all my equipment finds with a handful of exceptions have been from the 905 area code or beyond including my two most recent finds:

1037568-1

1037564-2

You want an overpriced fancy coffee?  Go to Toronto.  You want gear?  Go somewhere else.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 11:50:44 pm by 25 CPS »

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64995 on: July 31, 2020, 12:47:41 am »

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2926534/?topicseen#msg2926534

My Bach-Simpson 635 came from Toronto (well, North York) for the princely sum of CAD$13.55. Yeah, it has a toasted shunt and the usual cancer-ridden battery tabs; but not because of where it came from.  :-//

mnem
 :bullshit:

Offline TorinoFermic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #64996 on: July 31, 2020, 01:04:52 am »
Quote from: med6753 on Today at 11:15:20>
Quote from: mnementh on Today at 11:14:15
Is that where the death rays come out...?

mnem
 >:D

Yep, and pointed towards Toronto.  :P :-DD

You want an overpriced fancy coffee?  Go to Toronto.  You want gear?  Go somewhere else.
This hakko retails at around 300 $, where you got a good deal for it ?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 01:06:32 am by TorinoFermic »

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #64997 on: July 31, 2020, 03:19:34 am »

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/msg2926534/?topicseen#msg2926534

My Bach-Simpson 635 came from Toronto (well, North York) for the princely sum of CAD$13.55. Yeah, it has a toasted shunt and the usual cancer-ridden battery tabs; but not because of where it came from.  :-//

mnem
 :bullshit:

I have a 635, too.  It's actually a military surplus 635 with the HV option and the batteries, wow, somewhere in among all the corrosion, it had official bilingual Canadian Armed Forces badged batteries in it.  I would've saved those as a display item but there was no saving them.  I scraped them, the crystallized electrolyte, and a good chunk of the battery holder tabs right into a garbage can after I took the back off.  Strangely, the 635 is one of the items I got in Toronto as well.  Etobickoke in this case; we'll let Etobicoke and North York off the hook on the grounds of forced amalgamation by Mike Harris back in the 90s.

This hakko retails at around 300 $, where you got a good deal for it ?

I was surprised, with all the fakes out there, on closer examination, this was a genuine Hakko.  It was one of a number of lightly used or new open box pieces of equipment that were up for sale from a cellphone repair shop in Brampton that had closed down and the equipment was being sold on Kijiji.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, TorinoFermic

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #64998 on: July 31, 2020, 04:02:35 am »
(which becomes PostMord in Sweden)

Seriously, it is actually called PostMord?    LOL...  :palm:

Oh my, phonetically that translates very poorly, yet probably accurately (or is it actually supposed to be an N?...)   :-DD

+1, Sweden, +1...   :)

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #64999 on: July 31, 2020, 04:35:47 am »

mnem
Cap'n Crunk, yo.

Whistling "blue box" at 2600 wasn't exactly difficult, even without Capt'n Crunch...  :)

I used to be able to trick the payphones out at the lake into making calls as if you'd dropped a coin in, but I can't remember exactly what I did... It's so long ago now... 

I do vaguely recall that on one really early model payphone at the campground for a few years, you could just insert the DTMF tones even without a coin and it just worked... 

My dad bought one of those Radio Shack TAD-150 (43-248) answering machines in, what '81?, maybe 82?... something like that...  You could program the remote with the DTMF tones for your "home" number so it would auto-dial, (then do the FSK to log in to the answering machine with your code, be able to fast forward, rewind, delete, etc.) so essentially that just worked a lot of time time, essentially as a "replay attack", even without a coin, IIRC...

Ahhh... good times...  :)   :-DD

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf