Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14820729 times)

Robert763 and 164 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #65025 on: July 31, 2020, 02:41:34 pm »
bd139 is not the only one Ferengi in the bay.  :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65026 on: July 31, 2020, 02:58:17 pm »
Well what do you know  :-DD, I have the £1 listing invitation for the next 4 days and the reason why I got and some of you didn't, I believe is because they have made the same offer to me many times lately and although have always accepted it, have failed miserably to list anything whereas you have managed it so it must be a profit related thingy.  You cost them loss of profits whereas if I sell something this time around, they make profit from me  :-DD :-DD :-DD Here I come.

Bingo so the answer is to take a few weeks off. I can manage that  :-DD

Edit: still no UPS delivery at 16:00. My TG320 is out for delivery and I really want it for the weekend  >:(
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 03:01:13 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #65027 on: July 31, 2020, 03:00:15 pm »
Goodie box from Sphere came today...pics later. I got a really pristine Tek 191, the transistors I need to repair my second HP 3444A plugin, and the usual Sphere bag of extra goodies. :D

And here it is. The 191 works great. Recently calibrated, and looks exceptionally clean outside and in.

Here's my three. One of these days I suppose I'll spring for a Type 184. But after reading the frustrations You and Worsthorse had with the high frequency circuits I'm not sure I want that aggravation.  :-//

Here's the difference between repaint (2 left) and original. Next to each other you can tell the difference. Apart you'd be hard pressed to know it's not original.

Nice! I'd say the type 184 isn't that bad as long as the example you find doesn't require extensive repairs. Mine boiled down to a bad Nuvistor and a bad socket on the the 500 MHz board. I robbed that board from worsthorse's parts unit he sent me and that solved that problem. I adjusted the crystal oven to 5 decimal places using my 53310A modulation domain analyzer (which is fed from the GPSDO). This provides far more than sufficient accuracy for an analog scope time base. The most fiddly part by far was getting the mutually coupled inductors on that board adjusted right. This requires much care and patience (and a fast oscilloscope...I used my 7104 for this). Your hand being present is enough to detune this circuit, so it becomes a matter of trying to find the adjustment that works better once you move your hand away!  :scared: And the big horse shoe shaped one has B+ on it so do not ground it with your hand!!!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 03:05:25 pm by 0culus »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #65028 on: July 31, 2020, 03:21:52 pm »
Nice! I'd say the type 184 isn't that bad as long as the example you find doesn't require extensive repairs. Mine boiled down to a bad Nuvistor and a bad socket on the the 500 MHz board. I robbed that board from worsthorse's parts unit he sent me and that solved that problem. I adjusted the crystal oven to 5 decimal places using my 53310A modulation domain analyzer (which is fed from the GPSDO). This provides far more than sufficient accuracy for an analog scope time base. The most fiddly part by far was getting the mutually coupled inductors on that board adjusted right. This requires much care and patience (and a fast oscilloscope...I used my 7104 for this). Your hand being present is enough to detune this circuit, so it becomes a matter of trying to find the adjustment that works better once you move your hand away!  :scared: And the big horse shoe shaped one has B+ on it so do not ground it with your hand!!!

Remarkably, all I can say to that is "ditto on all counts".
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline 25 CPS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #65029 on: July 31, 2020, 03:27:03 pm »
As a heads up to any who may be interested, apparently someone on the bay of evil has stumbled onto a cache of those HP coffee mugs:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114327183149?ul_noapp=true&shqty=2&isGTR=1#shId

There are allegedly more than ten available, and the price is not too insane compared to what I've seen them go for in the past.

Oh, my! :scared:

Nine gone, six left.  I wonder if she's surprised that they're selling so quickly?

Two left.

I just took a look and they're all sold out.  0 available / 15 sold according to the listing on eBay so now we know how many there were to start out with.

And I swear I'm going to get to the 3478A with the bad current fuse today plus a couple of other things.  Holy crow, life gets in the way sometimes.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #65030 on: July 31, 2020, 03:37:31 pm »

Edit: still no UPS delivery at 16:00. My TG320 is out for delivery and I really want it for the weekend  >:(

UPS is always consistent. Between 1100 hours and noon. You would think that USPS would be consistent since packages nearly always come with daily mail delivery. Not the case. Anytime between 1130 hours and 1400 hours.

FedEx is the loose cannon. You never know when they'll show up. I've had them deliver as late as 1830 hours.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65031 on: July 31, 2020, 03:42:59 pm »
UPS have turned up here at 9pm before. You just never know with them. Sometimes they don't even turn up  :-//

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #65032 on: July 31, 2020, 03:55:51 pm »
Prepared a BOM for the PSU re-cap of the 5248L. Yes HP fan boys, I'm going to re-cap that beast. There's a lot of electrolytic cans to do but compared to the Type 535A I did earlier this year it's going to be a piece of cake.  :D

But I wasn't able to do this until I found a decent copy of the service manual. All the copies floating around on the net suck, big time. Including the copy on Aglient's website. Artek manuals had one, that you can read. It was $12.50 but worth it.  :-+

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65033 on: July 31, 2020, 03:58:59 pm »
I'd measure the cans myself (ESR and temperature) first. The big ass HP cans tend not to go bad even after 50 years or so. Save a small fortune

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #65034 on: July 31, 2020, 03:59:50 pm »
Well what do you know  :-DD, I have the £1 listing invitation for the next 4 days and the reason why I got and some of you didn't, I believe is because they have made the same offer to me many times lately and although have always accepted it, have failed miserably to list anything whereas you have managed it so it must be a profit related thingy.  You cost them loss of profits whereas if I sell something this time around, they make profit from me  :-DD :-DD :-DD Here I come.

It's... Fuck eBay Friday.  >:D

mnem
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65035 on: July 31, 2020, 04:14:00 pm »

Careful what you wish for...  :o

mnem

Meanwhile, in some alternate universe...
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: bd139, syau

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65036 on: July 31, 2020, 04:23:24 pm »
Goodie box from Sphere came today...pics later. I got a really pristine Tek 191, the transistors I need to repair my second HP 3444A plugin, and the usual Sphere bag of extra goodies. :D

And here it is. The 191 works great. Recently calibrated, and looks exceptionally clean outside and in.

Here's my three. One of these days I suppose I'll spring for a Type 184. But after reading the frustrations You and Worsthorse had with the high frequency circuits I'm not sure I want that aggravation...  :-//

Nice! I'd say the type 184 isn't that bad as long as the example you find doesn't require extensive repairs. Mine boiled down to a bad Nuvistor and a bad socket on the the 500 MHz board. I robbed that board from worsthorse's parts unit he sent me and that solved that problem.

I adjusted the crystal oven to 5 decimal places using my 53310A modulation domain analyzer (which is fed from the GPSDO). This provides far more than sufficient accuracy for an analog scope time base. The most fiddly part by far was getting the mutually coupled inductors on that board adjusted right. This requires much care and patience (and a fast oscilloscope...I used my 7104 for this).

Your hand being present is enough to detune this circuit, so it becomes a matter of trying to find the adjustment that works better once you move your hand away!  :scared: And the big horse shoe shaped one has B+ on it so do not ground it with your hand!!!

I suspect that may be the exact use case for which Tek designed the big one in this set I got from Neomys Sapiens; it's 300mm long.  :o

mnem
I have 30cm and I know how to handle it.  >:D
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 04:25:21 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65037 on: July 31, 2020, 04:35:00 pm »
Fucking bastards  |O

Edit: ok so projects this weekend are limited to filing away the TME order and recapping the 8060a

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65038 on: July 31, 2020, 04:37:00 pm »
Sorry bd... I guess I jinxed ya.   :-[

In OTHER pseud0-news...

https://newsthump.com/2020/07/31/oh-it-would-be-fckin-manchester-wouldnt-it-says-britain/

:-DD

mnem
oy!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 04:40:59 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65039 on: July 31, 2020, 04:42:28 pm »
“The north”. Enough said.  :-DD

(Awaits flames)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65040 on: July 31, 2020, 04:44:59 pm »

Here's my three. One of these days I suppose I'll spring for a Type 184. But after reading the frustrations You and Worsthorse had with the high frequency circuits I'm not sure I want that aggravation...  :-//

Nice! I'd say the type 184 isn't that bad as long as the example you find doesn't require extensive repairs. Mine boiled down to a bad Nuvistor and a bad socket on the the 500 MHz board. I robbed that board from worsthorse's parts unit he sent me and that solved that problem.

I adjusted the crystal oven to 5 decimal places using my 53310A modulation domain analyzer (which is fed from the GPSDO). This provides far more than sufficient accuracy for an analog scope time base. The most fiddly part by far was getting the mutually coupled inductors on that board adjusted right. This requires much care and patience (and a fast oscilloscope...I used my 7104 for this).

Your hand being present is enough to detune this circuit, so it becomes a matter of trying to find the adjustment that works better once you move your hand away!  :scared: And the big horse shoe shaped one has B+ on it so do not ground it with your hand!!!

I suspect that may be the exact use case for which Tek designed the big one in this set I got from Neomys Sapiens; it's 300mm long.  :o

mnem

Oh man. I wish I had that set. I used an insulated Wera screwdriver to help me manipulate it from a safe distance. If I had had a large noninductive tool it probably would have made the adjustments a lot easier to see too.

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #65041 on: July 31, 2020, 04:59:22 pm »
I'd measure the cans myself (ESR and temperature) first. The big ass HP cans tend not to go bad even after 50 years or so. Save a small fortune

HP uses the same cans as Tek (Sprague, CDE, or Mallory) and my attitude is the same. After 50+ years they gotta go. It really isn't all that expensive.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65042 on: July 31, 2020, 05:18:46 pm »
At what point do we decide a cap is "old enough to retire"? I'd say if it's at the age where a man would be thinking about retirement, then a cap is also long-overdue.  :-DD

mnem
 :bullshit:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65043 on: July 31, 2020, 05:19:55 pm »

mnem

Oh man. I wish I had that set. I used an insulated Wera screwdriver to help me manipulate it from a safe distance. If I had had a large noninductive tool it probably would have made the adjustments a lot easier to see too.
Ayup.

Next time let me know. I don't mind loaning by mail on these; at least in the Americas postage shouldn't be too painful.

Of course, this is also the type of tool that just screams "Print me!"  >:D

mnem
 :-/O
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 05:22:47 pm by mnementh »

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, 0culus

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65044 on: July 31, 2020, 05:44:13 pm »

HP uses the same cans as Tek (Sprague, CDE, or Mallory) and my attitude is the same. After 50+ years they gotta go. It really isn't all that expensive.

I'm wondering if climate the instrument lived has something to do with how long these cans last. A lot of my stuff came from the desert, and I really only have a handful of things that have demonstrably bad caps and/or caps that I would condemn immediately (like paper caps or those "black beauty" type caps that audiophools love)

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #65045 on: July 31, 2020, 06:22:19 pm »

I'm wondering if climate the instrument lived has something to do with how long these cans last. A lot of my stuff came from the desert, and I really only have a handful of things that have demonstrably bad caps and/or caps that I would condemn immediately (like paper caps or those "black beauty" type caps that audiophools love)

Paper caps, wax caps, black beauties, etc regardless of climate WILL be leaky. The paper inside them degrades at a more or less fixed rate. Electrolytics are a crapshoot. Some could last a 100 years, some 5 years. My set point is once they qualify for an AARP card it's time to "retire" them. 

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65046 on: July 31, 2020, 06:43:43 pm »

Some of them do go open circuit, a couple of months ago I repaired a pair of HP 412A & 412AR meters, in both of them the low voltage can had failed open. In the case of the 412A cabinet model this one has the most inaccessible wiring.

Thankfully I have a box full of these RIFA caps, the 412A got re-stuffed in the original can & the 412AR got fitted underneath the chassis as there was lots of space (original disconnected).

BD139 may recognise one of these meters.

David

P.S. the picture fix (don't use the first) seems to be working well.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 06:50:51 pm by factory »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, bd139, tonyalbus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65047 on: July 31, 2020, 06:47:39 pm »
Nice. I’ve got my eye on the peak ESR meter to be honest. But I don’t need it because I built one which is good enough for the job.

I always test and only replace if there are signs of trouble.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65048 on: July 31, 2020, 07:01:46 pm »

Paper caps, wax caps, black beauties, etc regardless of climate WILL be leaky. The paper inside them degrades at a more or less fixed rate. Electrolytics are a crapshoot. Some could last a 100 years, some 5 years. My set point is once they qualify for an AARP card it's time to "retire" them.

So.... should we replace you with a newer production RIFA of similar value and voltage rating, or go sealed mylar instead...? :-DD

Agreed however... most non-ceramic capacitors, especially electrolytics, are livestock. They start dying of old age the minute they roll off the assembly line.

mnem
*definitely past my best by: date*  :o

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65049 on: July 31, 2020, 07:31:16 pm »

That's what I meant when I said "condemn immediately".  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf