Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14556081 times)

Qw3rtzuiop, Vince, K0ELB, TERRA Operative and 19 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #65200 on: August 02, 2020, 05:27:08 pm »
I’d just like to drop a fuck you in here to oscillators. Especially ones that worked absolutely fine yesterday but not today  >:(

Need that bloody function generator to check the phase shifts and loop gain. But nope thanks UPS for fucking that up.

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65201 on: August 02, 2020, 05:37:20 pm »
I’d just like to drop a fuck you in here to oscillators. Especially ones that worked absolutely fine yesterday but not today  >:(

Just build an amplifier, guaranteed success!
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

The following users thanked this post: bitseeker, drussell, BU508A, mnementh, scl, Specmaster, Neomys Sapiens

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65202 on: August 02, 2020, 05:39:33 pm »
And there was another brand I can't remember now with a square of skin big enough to identify as pig, hairs included. *blerk*

What? You asked for dead pig, you got dead pig - where's the problem.  :)

At least it wasn't chittlin's.

It was supposed to be a chicken pot pie.  :P

mnem
At least it wasn't rabbit.  >:D

OK, I think you might just have a legitimate gripe there.  :)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65203 on: August 02, 2020, 05:42:14 pm »

So true.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65204 on: August 02, 2020, 06:01:32 pm »

You beat me to it.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #65205 on: August 02, 2020, 06:23:53 pm »
I'm a firm believer in doing burn-in's after a repair, especially on vintage equipment. Case in point: The Type 3A74 Vertical plug-in after about 2 hours started going unstable on the channel 1 trigger again. And eventually would not trigger at all. So back on the plug-in extension.

See schematic. The trigger signal dropped out at the emitter/base junction of Q503 and Q504. Turns out R502 (160K) was drifting high and a shot of freeze spray restored SOME trigger. So it was replaced. Now had trigger....sometimes. That turned out to be Channel 1 trigger DC level pot bottomed out. I never touched it. Phantom Gorilla's. Adjusted pot and now trigger is absolutely stable. And just for giggles I re-installed the old Q504 and yep, it's bad. So there's an NTE160 in it's place. 

If it passes a few burn-in's this plug-in will be complete.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh, wolfy007, Kosmic

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65206 on: August 02, 2020, 06:24:59 pm »
This weeks installment of toolpr0n for you: connector contact insertion and removal tools (a small assortment of)
1039440-0
1039436-1
1039432-2
Lower part on the first pic are all Mil-listed, upper part around half. This is a field which is likely to rub the inadequacy of one's kit right under your nose. Wayyyy to go until I am able to handle just all of those connectors which I have already encountered, and just more so if I include all those which I am likely to encounter.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 06:28:07 pm by Neomys Sapiens »

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, mansaxel, Kosmic

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #65207 on: August 02, 2020, 06:27:30 pm »
That is a nice kit. Want.  ;D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #65208 on: August 02, 2020, 06:32:18 pm »
This weeks installment of toolpr0n for you: connector contact insertion and removal tools (a small assortment of)

This is an area where the hunt for completeness will kill you. I admire the effort.

And here I thought I was a crazy man for owning 6 torque wrenches.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #65209 on: August 02, 2020, 06:40:49 pm »
What's the trick to get a module out of the frame if the handle is broken?
I did use the following trick, which is applicable if the remaining part of the lever is visible and functional:
<snip>

No such luck here.. But, it nevertheless is inspiring.

Just as we were mentioning it, I had a go at trying to use it, mostly for fun, not expecting any sensible results. And all of a sudden it starts to work! I trust it as long as a 200dlb gorilla can throw it, but it helped me verify my project, since results correlate. Hey ho.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65210 on: August 02, 2020, 06:44:10 pm »
And there was another brand I can't remember now with a square of skin big enough to identify as pig, hairs included. *blerk*

Disgusting, but at least not as bad as shot in wild fowl dishes. Especially since that thrice-damned steel shot. Broke a tooth on a single #7 or #8 pellet in a partridge confit.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65211 on: August 02, 2020, 06:53:28 pm »

Disgusting, but at least not as bad as shot in wild fowl dishes. Especially since that thrice-damned steel shot. Broke a tooth on a single #7 or #8 pellet in a partridge confit.

There's really no excuse for this nowadays is there? Now they're using steel shot it's easy enough to detect electrically. Most commercial food factories have magnetic/inductive sensing to make sure that a nut or washer off the machinery hasn't made its way into the product. Surely that can be repurposed for game?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65212 on: August 02, 2020, 06:56:17 pm »
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
Lower part on the first pic are all Mil-listed, upper part around half. This is a field which is likely to rub the inadequacy of one's kit right under your nose. Wayyyy to go until I am able to handle just all of those connectors which I have already encountered, and just more so if I include all those which I am likely to encounter.

Having had to professionally purchase some of that tackle in the past I shudder at what that tool case represents in "new replacement cost" real money.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65213 on: August 02, 2020, 07:02:39 pm »
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Having had to professionally purchase some of that tackle in the past I shudder at what that tool case represents in "new replacement cost" real money.
Indeed. And aquisition was not exactly free. It is about 1/3 regular purchases, 1/3 surplus and ebay and the remainder found/migrated/contributed by others.

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65214 on: August 02, 2020, 07:08:12 pm »

This is an area where the hunt for completeness will kill you. I admire the effort.

And here I thought I was a crazy man for owning 6 torque wrenches.
Huh. Where is the craziness here if the coaxial connectors already make at least  4 different ones necessary (N/SMA(steel)/SMA/SMC)? And I would not want to be without a spare for SMA.
(Thanks to <Kosmic> this is now fulfilled with a better one than before)

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #65215 on: August 02, 2020, 07:09:20 pm »

There's really no excuse for this nowadays is there? Now they're using steel shot it's easy enough to detect electrically. Most commercial food factories have magnetic/inductive sensing to make sure that a nut or washer off the machinery hasn't made its way into the product. Surely that can be repurposed for game?

A major point about game is that there is no factory.

If you buy a game fowl, there has to be shot in it, somewhere vital.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #65216 on: August 02, 2020, 07:19:06 pm »

Indeed. And aquisition was not exactly free. It is about 1/3 regular purchases, 1/3 surplus and ebay and the remainder found/migrated/contributed by others.

Yeeowwch! Nice collection of roach clips; you've got one for every popular variety and some of the more esoteric buds, I'll wager.  :-DD

No, seriously... that's a habit that'll eat you out of grocery money almost as fast as photography... Can't count how many times I've wished for ones not in my little Cheap China kit, or had to spend umpty minutes bending/Dremeling a bit of sheet-metal or tubing to make "something that works" without buggering up a connector too bad.

More power tooya, my friend!  :-+

If you're feeling really generous to the community... some close-up pics with mic'd-out dimensions would be a huge contribution. Even if it's just a few of the ones you've used most.

Cheers,

mnem
This spoo is not fresh.
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65217 on: August 02, 2020, 07:25:56 pm »
Well, I was all set up to join the discord session last night and guess what, I fell asleep. It was so bloody hot last night in my small lab that I just dropped off to sleep. I had 3 fans switched on to cool the place down and still it was 33C in here  :wtf:. I'm guessing that the body just shut itself down to. Did I miss anything good?  :-DD :-DD
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65218 on: August 02, 2020, 07:28:37 pm »
I tooted.

mnem
much hilarity ensued. >:D
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #65219 on: August 02, 2020, 07:38:24 pm »
Well, I was all set up to join the discord session last night and guess what, I fell asleep. It was so bloody hot last night in my small lab that I just dropped off to sleep. I had 3 fans switched on to cool the place down and still it was 33C in here  :wtf:. I'm guessing that the body just shut itself down to. Did I miss anything good?  :-DD :-DD

In the chat were some people, e.g. bd139, but in the audio channel there were only four of us:
Saskia, ch_scr, BU508A and AVGresponding. But a lot of people left early, probably for being tired.

Perhaps next discord session, if the heat stays away.
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65220 on: August 02, 2020, 07:40:11 pm »

If you're feeling really generous to the community... some close-up pics with mic'd-out dimensions would be a huge contribution. Even if it's just a few of the ones you've used most.

Cheers,

mnem
This spoo is not fresh.
What for? All MIL tooling is well documented including drawings and can be retrieved at any time from the DLA's ASSIST database for free!

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65221 on: August 02, 2020, 07:41:41 pm »

In the chat were some people, e.g. bd139, but in the audio channel there were only four of us:
Saskia, ch_scr, BU508A and AVGresponding. But a lot of people left early, probably for being tired.

Perhaps next discord session, if the heat stays away.
I was urgently and intensively occupied otherwise. Will attend next time, probably.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65222 on: August 02, 2020, 07:41:59 pm »

A major point about game is that there is no factory.

If you buy a game fowl, there has to be shot in it, somewhere vital.

Sure, there's no factory but the implicit point was "Why doesn't some repurpose that technology for game dealers/butchers?".

Is there a Ferengi in the house who'd like to take advantage of an apparent gap in the market?

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65223 on: August 02, 2020, 07:49:30 pm »
That is commonly called a fan-assisted oven.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65224 on: August 02, 2020, 07:52:21 pm »

Cheers,

mnem
This spoo is not fresh.
What for? All MIL tooling is well documented including drawings and can be retrieved at any time from the DLA's ASSIST database for free!

I know. That database is more than a little difficult to navigate unless you already know what you're working on; I guess a learning opportunity...? See some of the weird connectors you've worked with, and how they come apart?

Like how I didn't realize the nature of the Tek tools I got from you until I had them in hand. ;)

mnem
 :popcorn:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf