Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14553036 times)

ch_scr, Qw3rtzuiop and 26 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #65225 on: August 02, 2020, 07:55:07 pm »
This weeks installment of toolpr0n for you: connector contact insertion and removal tools (a small assortment of)

This is an area where the hunt for completeness will kill you. I admire the effort.

And here I thought I was a crazy man for owning 6 torque wrenches.
Huh. Where is the craziness here if the coaxial connectors already make at least  4 different ones necessary (N/SMA(steel)/SMA/SMC)? And I would not want to be without a spare for SMA.
(Thanks to <Kosmic> this is now fulfilled with a better one than before)

I have none of that, mine are only for mechanics, even though Wiha sells a wrench attachment for the torque screwdriver handles (which I've got two sizes of), meant for tightening automation M8 / M12 connectors, but it can, I suppose, be repurposed for SMA tightening.

Another rabbit hole, of course, is crimping tools. I've only got four I trust, and they're generic. And I miss a 3/8" coax crimper.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65226 on: August 02, 2020, 08:12:21 pm »
Minor bit of thermal retardation to report. The M2 SSD Armor heatsink on the Asrock B550M Pro 4 makes the SSD 10oC hotter than it would be without it and smells funny as fuck  :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:. Just removed it and got happy computer and nose again.  :-+

Offline Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65227 on: August 02, 2020, 08:23:49 pm »
I deal with connectors for hobby and work so first you need the insert / extract tools, then the crimp tools (the small M22520/2-01  / AFM-8 runs £500 the large /1 AF8 £900 I have two of each), then he dies and positioners. then connector assembly tools (I have a couple of sets) so you are not using a spare socket and a pair of pliers.
If you want Certified tools for aearospace etc then even AMP PIDG tools for "normal" red ring tags cost £500-1000. And you need a different pair for each size/colour.
Had to look at an AMP automotive connector with stamped and folded contacts for odd job at work and the crimp tool was £150, not too bad until you note it does not include the dies, another £450!
I have hundreds of new and used military / aerospace circular connectors, the replacement cost even non-certified versions must be well into 6 figures.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, tonyalbus

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #65228 on: August 02, 2020, 08:24:12 pm »
Not necessarily. It entirely depends on what you are making and the stresses on it.
It doesn't really matter as its not very stable. It's getting better but if you want functional prints SLA usually isn't ideal. Something like HP's MJF nylon printers yields mechanically sound and dimensionally accurate parts.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 08:30:16 pm by Mr. Scram »

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #65229 on: August 02, 2020, 08:25:11 pm »
I’d just like to drop a fuck you in here to oscillators. Especially ones that worked absolutely fine yesterday but not today  >:(

Need that bloody function generator to check the phase shifts and loop gain. But nope thanks UPS for fucking that up.
What'd you get this time?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65230 on: August 02, 2020, 08:29:21 pm »
Minor bit of thermal retardation to report. The M2 SSD Armor heatsink on the Asrock B550M Pro 4 makes the SSD 10oC hotter than it would be without it and smells funny as fuck  :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm: :palm:. Just removed it and got happy computer and nose again.  :-+

What about your earlobes?
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, Mr. Scram, bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65231 on: August 02, 2020, 08:33:28 pm »
I’d just like to drop a fuck you in here to oscillators. Especially ones that worked absolutely fine yesterday but not today  >:(

Need that bloody function generator to check the phase shifts and loop gain. But nope thanks UPS for fucking that up.
What'd you get this time?

Aim-TTI TG320.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #65232 on: August 02, 2020, 08:37:55 pm »
Aim-TTI TG320.
That's nice. I was oggling a TTi arbitrary generator but it was gone before I decided I wanted it.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65233 on: August 02, 2020, 08:40:27 pm »
Ack. I was probably watching that one. I need to get my hands on one to play with at some point. They don't match up to even the ass end Rigol and Siglent units on paper but they do have service manuals and utility which is worth it if you can get in there cheap.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #65234 on: August 02, 2020, 08:42:45 pm »
4 hours on the clock and absolutely stable. Unlike yesterday's fail. I'm confident I finally got all the gremlins. But it still has to survive at least 2 more burn-in's with some power cycles thrown in. Then I'll declare fixed.

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Brumby, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, wolfy007, bd139, Kosmic, syau, TorinoFermic, tonyalbus

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65235 on: August 02, 2020, 08:50:17 pm »
I have none of that, mine are only for mechanics, even though Wiha sells a wrench attachment for the torque screwdriver handles (which I've got two sizes of), meant for tightening automation M8 / M12 connectors, but it can, I suppose, be repurposed for SMA tightening.
See? You just added another one to MY list. And besides the specific use ones, of course I have torque tools too. (40Ncm....20Nm with overlaps)
Another rabbit hole, of course, is crimping tools. I've only got four I trust, and they're generic. And I miss a 3/8" coax crimper.
This one is a hole which must belong to some prehistoric mammoth rabbit. If you dare to step near its rim,you are lost. Like when you start to scrutinize in detail how the cavity sizes that you need are distributed over the range of both M22520/5-01 and M22520/10-01 crimp dies.
But now you got me very curious. WTF do you want to crimp with 3/8" (0.375")? While there are dies for it, they are for some not exactly common applications. For example, the outer (shield) crimp of coaxial inserts for MIL-DTL-81733 connectors.
It should be rather .385" or .400", as those are applicable to far more cable/connector groupings.
Don't buy cheap civvy crimp tools, they are crap all over.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #65236 on: August 02, 2020, 09:03:33 pm »
Well, I was all set up to join the discord session last night and guess what, I fell asleep. It was so bloody hot last night in my small lab that I just dropped off to sleep. I had 3 fans switched on to cool the place down and still it was 33C in here  :wtf:. I'm guessing that the body just shut itself down to. Did I miss anything good?  :-DD :-DD
That is commonly called a fan-assisted oven.

a.k.a., convection oven

primary advantage: faster cooking

Spec, you had no chance of escape from that one. Good thing there weren't hungry cannibals around. :-DD
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65237 on: August 02, 2020, 09:07:37 pm »
This weeks installment of toolpr0n for you: connector contact insertion and removal tools (a small assortment of)

Lower part on the first pic are all Mil-listed, upper part around half. This is a field which is likely to rub the inadequacy of one's kit right under your nose. Wayyyy to go until I am able to handle just all of those connectors which I have already encountered, and just more so if I include all those which I am likely to encounter.

Having had to professionally purchase some of that tackle in the past I shudder at what that tool case represents in "new replacement cost" real money.
Indeed. And aquisition was not exactly free. It is about 1/3 regular purchases, 1/3 surplus and ebay and the remainder found/migrated/contributed by others.

If you're feeling really generous to the community... some close-up pics with mic'd-out dimensions would be a huge contribution. Even if it's just a few of the ones you've used most.

Cheers,

mnem
This spoo is not fresh.
What for? All MIL tooling is well documented including drawings and can be retrieved at any time from the DLA's ASSIST database for free!

I know. That database is more than a little difficult to navigate unless you already know what you're working on; I guess a learning opportunity...? See some of the weird connectors you've worked with, and how they come apart?

Like how I didn't realize the nature of the Tek tools I got from you until I had them in hand. ;)

mnem
 :popcorn:
Oh come on! I can't imagine that there is anyone around who is not totally familiar with the progression of certain specifications from a MIL-C- (for example) to a -DTL or a -PRF type spec and that the dies which you don't find in the /5 can be found in the preceding standard.
Wait - you don't refer to Sub-D as -24308? Errrm, ok. Will consider to give some info.
A very good starting point is the attached document, although it is not totally complete and has some errors remaining AFAIK. But fulfilling your request is a completely different thing from posting some pictures which needed to be taken anyway, so don't expect it in short time.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65238 on: August 02, 2020, 09:09:15 pm »
Well, I was all set up to join the discord session last night and guess what, I fell asleep. It was so bloody hot last night in my small lab that I just dropped off to sleep. I had 3 fans switched on to cool the place down and still it was 33C in here  :wtf:. I'm guessing that the body just shut itself down to. Did I miss anything good?  :-DD :-DD
That is commonly called a fan-assisted oven.

a.k.a., convection oven

primary advantage: faster cooking

Spec, you had no chance of escape from that one. Good thing there weren't hungry cannibals around. :-DD

Like cats  :-DD

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #65239 on: August 02, 2020, 09:17:57 pm »
   4 hours on the clock and absolutely stable. Unlike yesterday's fail.
I'm confident I finally got all the gremlins. But it still has to survive at least 2 more burn-in's with some power cycles thrown in. Then I'll declare fixed.   

mnem
 :-+
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: med6753, Specmaster

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65240 on: August 02, 2020, 09:24:59 pm »
Something seriously wrong there then surely?
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #65241 on: August 02, 2020, 09:25:29 pm »
   4 hours on the clock and absolutely stable. Unlike yesterday's fail.
I'm confident I finally got all the gremlins. But it still has to survive at least 2 more burn-in's with some power cycles thrown in. Then I'll declare fixed.   

(Attachment Link)

mnem
 :-+

That's why I call that area of bench 1 "The Torture Rack". Any TE unlucky enough to occupy that space is subject to extended power up times as well as power cycles.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65242 on: August 02, 2020, 09:37:09 pm »
Oh come on! I can't imagine that there is anyone around who is not totally familiar with the progression of certain specifications from a MIL-C- (for example) to a -DTL or a -PRF type spec and that the dies which you don't find in the /5 can be found in the preceding standard.
Wait - you don't refer to Sub-D as -24308? Errrm, ok. Will consider to give some info.
A very good starting point is the attached document, although it is not totally complete and has some errors remaining AFAIK. But fulfilling your request is a completely different thing from posting some pictures which needed to be taken anyway, so don't expect it in short time.

Dude... I'm proud of you; you said all that with a straight face.  :-DD

Yeah, sure... about 20-25% of that document is familiar. I can't be the only one. I know what I've had to use. Well, maybe about 10% of what I've had to use; you lose it quickly with disuse. :palm:

mnem
Remind me to not play Poker with you. Like EVER. ;)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 10:03:09 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65243 on: August 02, 2020, 09:38:24 pm »

Yeah it only contacts the outer chip when installed and then basically acts as an oven for the rest  :palm:

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65244 on: August 02, 2020, 09:44:25 pm »

That REALLY sounds like the thermal pad is contaminated, or that there is more than one layer to the release sheet on it. Sometimes they stick a piece of tape to the release sheet to make it easier to get off; is it possible the release sheet stayed stuck?

Or maybe there was a film on the SSD that needed to be peeled before the heatsink got attached... and now it's stuck to the thermal pad...?

Just throwing stuff out there to see what sticks. (pun intended >:D) M2 SSDs do tend to run pretty warm. Seems quite suspect that a heat-sink would not cool that down.  :-//

mnem

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #65245 on: August 02, 2020, 09:44:48 pm »
Not necessarily. It entirely depends on what you are making and the stresses on it.
It doesn't really matter as its not very stable. It's getting better but if you want functional prints SLA usually isn't ideal. Something like HP's MJF nylon printers yields mechanically sound and dimensionally accurate parts.

Please don't snip important context in order to make a point that turns out to have, um, more limited applicability that you imply.

In this case the context was...
What about SLA? Much smoother; the camera doesn't like to try to focus on it.

2mm pitch thread. The facets in the barrel are in the model, and aren't a printing artefact; the facets are 2mm wide.
SLA isn't mechanically comparable. It tends to be much more brittle and not quite as long lasting.

Now, would you like to quantify your statements "much more brittle" and "not quite as long lasting"?

I have an SLA piece of mine which works perfectly, whereas the same PLA piece was so weak it broke during installation. The latter was no surprise whatsoever, snapping along the join between layers; I made it just to compare the dimensional accuracy.

I can also point to that SLA threaded handle; it is 4 years old and in perfect condition, despite being a little too thin walled. Would an HP MJF nylon pieces' surface smoothness and low friction would be acceptable for that screwthread? Who knows, without trying it.

Fundamentally engineering is about matching a material to the use. Different uses imply different materials may be applicable.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65246 on: August 02, 2020, 09:49:58 pm »

That REALLY sounds like the thermal pad is contaminated, or that there is more than one layer to the release sheet on it. Sometimes they stick a piece of tape to the release sheet to make it easier to get off; is it possible the release sheet stayed stuck?

Or maybe there was a film on the SSD that needed to be peeled before the heatsink got attached... and now it's stuck to the thermal pad...?

Just throwing stuff out there to see what sticks. (pun intended >:D) M2 SSDs do tend to run pretty warm. Seems quite suspect that a heat-sink would not cool that down.  :-//

mnem

In this case it’s poor engineering. The mounting system is inadequate to push the pad onto the drive surface. The thing with the M2 form factor is the thickness of the components on the device are not strictly defined and this is a particularly thin one (Samsung 970 Evo Plus)

As for warm. Crystal disk mark:

Without heatsink peak under load: 58oC

With heatsink peak under load: 69oC

The smell was the adhesive pad.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #65247 on: August 02, 2020, 09:55:27 pm »
See? You just added another one to MY list. And besides the specific use ones, of course I have torque tools too. (40Ncm....20Nm with overlaps)

Happy to help! I'm equipped to torque from 80Ncm to 200Nm. With acceptable if not stellar overlap. The latest one, a 20-60Nm Norbar with 1/2" square, did really well to plug an annoying hole between 25 and 40 Nm.  (Drive size is important here; most of the wrenches in that torque span are 3/8" square, a socket set standard I try to avoid. 1/4" and 1/2" overlap nicely enough, IMNSHO.)

This one is a hole which must belong to some prehistoric mammoth rabbit. If you dare to step near its rim,you are lost. Like when you start to scrutinize in detail how the cavity sizes that you need are distributed over the range of both M22520/5-01 and M22520/10-01 crimp dies.

Oh, indeed. And I'm a mere amateur here. I frequently solder center pins in coax simply because I lack the crimper.

But now you got me very curious. WTF do you want to crimp with 3/8" (0.375")? While there are dies for it, they are for some not exactly common applications. For example, the outer (shield) crimp of coaxial inserts for MIL-DTL-81733 connectors.
It should be rather .385" or .400", as those are applicable to far more cable/connector groupings.
Don't buy cheap civvy crimp tools, they are crap all over.

I meant dies for cable 3/8" diameter, i.e RG213 family. Simple as that.

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65248 on: August 02, 2020, 09:58:00 pm »
In this case it’s poor engineering. The mounting system is inadequate to push the pad onto the drive surface. The thing with the M2 form factor is the thickness of the components on the device are not strictly defined and this is a particularly thin one (Samsung 970 Evo Plus)

As for warm. Crystal disk mark:

Without heatsink peak under load: 58oC

With heatsink peak under load: 69oC

The smell was the adhesive pad.

Oh wow... Looks like I've been blissfully ignorant of what appears to be a pretty widespread "hit or miss" aspect of these things. Only had a few in hand, and they all were well-engineered. Evidently that is NOT something you can count on. :palm:

Fuck... how can you screw up something as basic as a heat-sink/heat spreader...? Shit... even if you just stick Pi coolers on there with frag tape it would have to be better than that stoopit thing.  |O

mnem
*burn testing a 9 dollah monitor*

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65249 on: August 02, 2020, 10:04:36 pm »

That, or a fantastically inconvenient breakthrough in thermodynamics that upsets everything we thought that we knew about the universe. I think that, on reflection, on the balance of probabilities, when all the factors are taken into account that, on due consideration, I am going to say that it's fucked and the physics we know is safe. That, or penis fingers strikes again.
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf