Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14563512 times)

Robert763 and 26 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #65275 on: August 03, 2020, 04:02:29 am »
[...] Dumbfuckistan units.  :-DD

OK, is this really necessary?  ::)

...not saying Imperial units are good mind you. I like my powers of 10.  >:D

He's just flexing his recently acquired metricness. :-DD
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 04:05:16 am by bitseeker »
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: tautech, mnementh, nixiefreqq, 0culus

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #65276 on: August 03, 2020, 04:37:54 am »
Use a pocket protector. I bet those are fairly universally sized.  :P

Except no one probably knows what they are anymore except for hardcore nerds.

Here in Sweden, the most common use today is by nurses. Of which there are more than the particular pocket-protector-worshipping class of nerd.

/has fountain pens but no protector..

Online BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #65277 on: August 03, 2020, 05:05:02 am »
Question for all of you. What common object, other than a ruler, would one use for scale in a photograph that is universal? Yeah, a ruler works but it doesn't have that same visceral feel that, say, a box of matches does.

For the Brits, a standard box of matches would work, but the "standard box of matches" varies in size around the world. A packet of Gitanes is the same size the world over but most people don't have a pack of French Cancer Sticks to hand. A bunch of keys? Pretty universal but you don't really want to embed the key profile of your front door key in a photo for publication. I've been over a few other things in my mind and discounted all of them as not universal enough. Pencil? The ubiquitous Bic? Too long and thin. Cups and cutlery are too variable in size.

I finally hit on a standard pack of playing cards. Right kind of scale, the same size all over the world, something that fits in the hand.

So, can anyone else think of a common household object that is truly universal worldwide, and that fits the bill better than a pack of cards? Thoughts? Something obvious that I've missed?

For sure in this electronics world, my fav is TO-220 as in my most posted photos.  :P

The following users thanked this post: Robert763, mnementh

Offline Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
« Reply #65278 on: August 03, 2020, 05:11:40 am »
[...] Dumbfuckistan units.  :-DD

mnem
 :popcorn:

OK, is this really necessary?  ::)

...not saying Imperial units are good mind you. I like my powers of 10.  >:D

Yes. Yes, it REALLY IS necessary.  >:D Kill them with fire.  :-DD

mnem
And shoot the ashes into the sun. On a rocket programmed in a mix of both units.   :scared:
Only if you want to miss te target.  :-DD :-DD :-DD

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #65279 on: August 03, 2020, 06:43:04 am »
For no good reason I stumbled out of bed a few minutes early this morning. Went to kitchen to get coffee, glanced out the back, then rushed to get my camera.

Sometimes it is worth getting up.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, Cerebus, drussell, BU508A, med6753, capt bullshot, bd139, nixiefreqq, Kosmic, TorinoFermic

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65280 on: August 03, 2020, 06:49:39 am »
Your contention about this relative strength of PLA vs SLA is unsubstantiated and contradicted in my experience and examples.

I too have doubts about SLAs long term stability, it isn't a wonder material. I also have doubts about PLAs long term stability. But if PLA isn't strong enough when manufactured, it isn't going to get any stronger!

OK. I'm confused. PLA (polylactic acid) is a material. SLA (stereolithography) is a process, which can use many different resins. So surely any comparison is a chalk and cheese one unless someone mentions what particular SLA resin is being compared.

A quick survey suggests that SLA materials seems to range from a rather nebulous "standard", "transparent", "durable", "ceramic reinforced" of unnamed chemistry  with ultimate tensile strengths ranging from 31-75 MPa, Young's modulus of 1.3-4.1 GPa, all the way through to familiar engineering materials of ABS, Nylon, SBR/TPR. For reference the first set of material properties I can find for PLA are UTS=26.4 Mpa,  and Young's modulus of 2.3 GPa.

I can't find figures for long term stability for any of these materials that are useful for objective comparison, they're all "n out of 10" type comparative scores and I'm suspicious whether those amount to anything more than pure hand-waving.

Just to put those into perspective, typical properties for more familiar materials:

MaterialUTS (MPa)Tensile Modulus (GPa)
Nylon 66 (average, unreinforced)61.62.3
Aluminium (1050-H14)10570
Low Carbon Steel (EN1A)480207

Both the metals are selected for being the 'weakest' of their elemental ilk in everyday commercial use.

I'd have preferred to quote tensile yield strengths (or proof strength) rather than UTS, generally that's a much more useful parameter to design around, but the 3PD type folks only seem (in general) to list UTS for their materials.

All good solid points.

There are now more materials available than when I printed my handles 4 years ago. All I can say is that I got them at https://dirtypcbs.com/store/print3d because it was stunningly cheap. It would not surprise me if the material had changed since then, possibly for the better.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65281 on: August 03, 2020, 06:59:22 am »
Nonetheless snipping context is liable to mislead and is unnecessary; this isn't stackexchange or edaboard, thank deity.
We've been over the snipping matter a couple of times before. It hasn't caused any confusion. The full contect is preserved in the original post and the reply for everyone to see. It prevents inane repetition and visual clutter. I'm sorry to hear it upsets you but I don't feel that responsibility is on my end. Here too repetition is outliving its usefulness.

Confusion, no - but I haven't claimed that.

"Context is preserved" always makes me think of leopards, as in https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/40705-but-the-plans-were-on-display-on-display-i-eventually

There is, of course, good taste involved in the decision as to how much to snip and how much to preserve. Too often I've seen people snipping so much it makes life more difficult for a reader, or worse.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 07:04:41 am by tggzzz »

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #65282 on: August 03, 2020, 07:10:07 am »
Question for all of you. What common object, other than a ruler, would one use for scale in a photograph that is universal? Yeah, a ruler works but it doesn't have that same visceral feel that, say, a box of matches does.

For the Brits, a standard box of matches would work, but the "standard box of matches" varies in size around the world. A packet of Gitanes is the same size the world over but most people don't have a pack of French Cancer Sticks to hand. A bunch of keys? Pretty universal but you don't really want to embed the key profile of your front door key in a photo for publication. I've been over a few other things in my mind and discounted all of them as not universal enough. Pencil? The ubiquitous Bic? Too long and thin. Cups and cutlery are too variable in size.

I finally hit on a standard pack of playing cards. Right kind of scale, the same size all over the world, something that fits in the hand.

So, can anyone else think of a common household object that is truly universal worldwide, and that fits the bill better than a pack of cards? Thoughts? Something obvious that I've missed?

I'd suggest D6 (Dice, six-sided). They are very common and the standard size of them is 16x16x16mm³

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #65283 on: August 03, 2020, 07:15:39 am »
Use a pocket protector. I bet those are fairly universally sized.  :P

Except no one probably knows what they are anymore except for hardcore nerds.

Had to google first, what a "pocket protector" is.  :-DD
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: 0culus, tonyalbus

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #65284 on: August 03, 2020, 07:19:51 am »
On other notes:

Dave is re-stocking his HV differential probes in August.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/eevblog-hvp70-differential-probe/msg3170321/?topicseen#new

Quote:
"FYI, I have more stock coming mid August.
No word on the other design yet."

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65285 on: August 03, 2020, 07:30:23 am »
For no good reason I stumbled out of bed a few minutes early this morning. Went to kitchen to get coffee, glanced out the back, then rushed to get my camera.

Let me guess, you live near Bristol

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65286 on: August 03, 2020, 07:36:38 am »

Brizzle, please :)

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65287 on: August 03, 2020, 09:22:27 am »
I studied in Brizzle in the early 80's

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65288 on: August 03, 2020, 09:50:57 am »

Not to sure about worldwide but certainly UK wide, a £1 coin. Playing cards don't hack it for me because you certainly can get different sized packs of playing cards, for instance, you can get tiny ones in Xmas crackers for a start  >:D
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65289 on: August 03, 2020, 09:53:49 am »

OK, I'll ask the question, that everyone else is scared of asking, why does living near to Bristol or Brizzle :-//
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65290 on: August 03, 2020, 10:05:26 am »
Happy happy joy joy. Both 3478A and TG320 are out for delivery today. Fingers crossed

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, BU508A, mnementh, Specmaster, Kosmic, TorinoFermic, tonyalbus

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #65291 on: August 03, 2020, 10:18:47 am »

OK, I'll ask the question, that everyone else is scared of asking, why does living near to Bristol or Brizzle :-//

When I google for Bristol, I'm getting a nice picture of one of the inhabitants there.   :-DD

1039812-0

Online Robert763

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65292 on: August 03, 2020, 10:52:45 am »
Bristol is home of Cameron Balloons and holds a large hot air balloon festival.

Offline tonyalbus

• Frequent Contributor
  • To better understand, you need to open it ;-)
    • My Channel
« Reply #65293 on: August 03, 2020, 10:53:43 am »
5315B coming my way.... 8)

seems a professional seller.....putting it on a soft bed.

and i get some extra's

a home made something...
Electronics enthusiast, TEA and Radio Amateur (PE1ONS)
Marconi  - TTi - Thandar - Thurmbly - HP - Fluke - Philips - Siglent - Owon - TEK - Anritsu - Keithley - AVO - BG7TBL
https://www.youtube.com/TonyAlbus

The following users thanked this post: med6753, mnementh, wolfy007

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65294 on: August 03, 2020, 10:54:30 am »
A soft bed of fox urine  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, Specmaster, tonyalbus

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65295 on: August 03, 2020, 11:03:19 am »

Fish.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65296 on: August 03, 2020, 11:06:35 am »

When I google for Bristol, I'm getting a nice picture of one of the inhabitants there.   :-DD

(Attachment Link)

I wouldn't call my ex famous :)

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, mnementh

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #65297 on: August 03, 2020, 11:14:11 am »
A soft bed of fox urine  :-DD

Over here could be that and more. Coyote, turkey, woodchuck (ground hog), feral cat, raccoon, possum, even bear.

"Does the bear shit in the woods"? Don't bet on it.  :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: Specmaster, bd139

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #65298 on: August 03, 2020, 11:14:51 am »

(Attachment Link)

I wouldn't call my ex famous :)

Ouch! Harsh.  :o :-DD
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #65299 on: August 03, 2020, 11:15:25 am »
5315B coming my way.... 8)

seems a professional seller.....putting it on a soft bed.

(Attachment Link)

and i get some extra's

(Attachment Link)

a home made something...

Perhaps it is from a questionable source and the owner is now letting the dust settle on it.
(Ist vielleicht vom LKW gefallen und jetzt wartet der Besitzer darauf, dass Gras über die Sache wächst.)  ;D

The following users thanked this post: Neomys Sapiens, bd139

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf